Author Topic: What's the longest you can stop skating without a huge dip in skill?  (Read 3158 times)

doctorkickflip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 44
I have weak, pathetic, loser ankles that sprain once a year like clockwork. I'm considering taking several months off to totally rehab and build-up ankle strength. I know that if I don't skate for a couple of weeks my pop is affected and my ledge, flatbar, manual confidence is blah, but after a few sessions, I'm back to where I was. But the prospect of taking off 6 months has me thinking...

What's the longest you've quit and been able to totally recover 100% of your gnar? And how did the duration of your break affect your skating ability recovery time? 

Can't wait to heckride again, sincerely, Dr. Kickflip.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: What's the longest you can stop skating without a huge dip in skill?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 07:35:43 AM »
Ain’t you the doctor?

Seriously that sucks though. Hope you’re better soon. I’m sure someone has been in a similar situation and can give you a little advice/piece of mind.

Sprain once a year, doesn’t sound that bad either.

I have heard though, that talking to your ankles, or playing  them classical music helps. You know like a plant.

doctorkickflip

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 07:43:10 AM »
I mean tbh the ankle is fine (walking like normal a week later) but since this is a thing that happens roughly every year I figure I should take some more drastic rehab style steps. I know what I gotta do to get this ankle in tip-top shape but just don't know what my skating's gonna look like after.

I ain't a doctor of skateboarding after all. Or of anything just thought it was a funny screen name.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 08:05:03 AM »
I missed a month after a pretty shitty injury. Wasn't too much of a dip... but I haven't skated in 6 ish months and I recently went to try and oh shit I suck. So maybe less than 6 months? Godspeed doc.
Whoa. Danger.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 08:08:24 AM »
5 min

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 08:10:00 AM »
Once a year isn't really that much. And I don't know if taking a few months off is absolutely necessary unless you have a sprain that takes you out of action for a while. But yeah, strengthening your ankles and the rest of your leg muscles is a good move. Don't just focus on your ankles. Your core,hips, glutes and all of the other muscles in your leg help stabilize you. Your skating and body will be better off for it. Even if you lose some tricks in the process.

Fernandito

• Rep: -77
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 08:12:05 AM »
Maybe 4 days

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2209
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 08:12:17 AM »
5 min
THIS^^^
My crappy ankle starts to lock up after just a few minutes of inactivity.
I thought Geritol & lots of Metamucil were supposed to fix the problem, by NOPE!
Aging is awesome.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 08:13:12 AM »
Once a year isn't really that much. And I don't know if taking a few months off is absolutely necessary unless you have the sprain takes you out off action for a while. But yeah, strengthening your ankles and the rest of your leg muscles is a good move. Don't just focus on your ankles. Your core,hips, glutes and all of the other muscles in your leg help stabilize you. Your skating and body will be better off for it. Even if you lose some tricks in the process.

Buns of steel. Get that booty in shape.

doctorkickflip

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 08:25:07 AM »
I missed a month after a pretty shitty injury. Wasn't too much of a dip... but I haven't skated in 6 ish months and I recently went to try and oh shit I suck. So maybe less than 6 months? Godspeed doc.

Yeah I think 6 months is def a tuning point. Kinda daunting but I might actually try to aim for a compromise and do 3 months.

doctorkickflip

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 08:28:20 AM »
Once a year isn't really that much. And I don't know if taking a few months off is absolutely necessary unless you have a sprain that takes you out of action for a while. But yeah, strengthening your ankles and the rest of your leg muscles is a good move. Don't just focus on your ankles. Your core,hips, glutes and all of the other muscles in your leg help stabilize you. Your skating and body will be better off for it. Even if you lose some tricks in the process.

Word. This is the solid, practical advice I was looking for. Adding lunges squats, deadlifts, etc. Although I'm a little worried I'm going to have a huge ass at the end of all this.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 08:33:29 AM »
Yo, I'm coming off my latest shitty ankle injury from Dec. 26th 2019. torn tendons/ ligaments etc.
I've only skated 8 times this year. I was on crutches until almost April. To help get myself back to somewhat normal...
I did a lot of stretching with the rubber straps around foot. I did those for about 2 months. Walked in a thin ankle brace.
Once I was able to walk without the brace, I went straight to biking. And I mean, a LOT of biking. That really helped my foot and ankle a lot. The number 1 stretch I did that helped, was like an exaggerated lunge stretch (that also helped strengthen my foot by my toes). And I also, STILL, roll my foot on to a tennis ball for the bottom of my foot.

I'm also 44 and have done this injury 2 other times in my life, so yeah! This time really fucked me though. I skated a couple of times in June but got some ache again so I went back to the routine and now I'm ready to skate (I think). Just cruising so far. Did a few flatground kickflips. Pretty sure ALL grinds are going to be off after this time off. Good luck though. I hate my ankles.

doctorkickflip

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 08:45:34 AM »
Yo, I'm coming off my latest shitty ankle injury from Dec. 26th 2019. torn tendons/ ligaments etc.
I've only skated 8 times this year. I was on crutches until almost April. To help get myself back to somewhat normal...
I did a lot of stretching with the rubber straps around foot. I did those for about 2 months. Walked in a thin ankle brace.
Once I was able to walk without the brace, I went straight to biking. And I mean, a LOT of biking. That really helped my foot and ankle a lot. The number 1 stretch I did that helped, was like an exaggerated lunge stretch (that also helped strengthen my foot by my toes). And I also, STILL, roll my foot on to a tennis ball for the bottom of my foot.

I'm also 44 and have done this injury 2 other times in my life, so yeah! This time really fucked me though. I skated a couple of times in June but got some ache again so I went back to the routine and now I'm ready to skate (I think). Just cruising so far. Did a few flatground kickflips. Pretty sure ALL grinds are going to be off after this time off. Good luck though. I hate my ankles.
Fuck man. I thought I had it bad. That's gnarly. Guessing you had surgery then? If so, did they say the surgery would help strengthen your ankle a bit? I read somewhere that the scar tissue that repairs a torn tendon is not as strong as the original tendon.

I'm 34 so I can definitely envision this kind of shit happening to me in 10 years. I should bike then huh, just started walking around normally today.

gonzSOI

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 08:53:58 AM »
depends on the person, depends on how hellride they are

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 08:59:08 AM »
mArLeY

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 09:12:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Fuck man. I thought I had it bad. That's gnarly. Guessing you had surgery then? If so, did they say the surgery would help strengthen your ankle a bit? I read somewhere that the scar tissue that repairs a torn tendon is not as strong as the original tendon.

I'm 34 so I can definitely envision this kind of shit happening to me in 10 years. I should bike then huh, just started walking around normally today.

I did not get surgery, they said I was "lucky" that I didn't need it but that I probably will later. I lose confidence in that ankle more every time I injure it, but I'm also 44 so my prime was over 15 years ago if not longer. I will get surgery at some point, I had just bought a house so the money was not there for sure regardless. As far as biking goes, I do a lot of uphill.. so you're almost standing, and can really work your ankles and feet. Seems to be doing the job. Sucks the first week but more out of exhaustion.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 09:13:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Word. This is the solid, practical advice I was looking for. Adding lunges squats, deadlifts, etc. Although I'm a little worried I'm going to have a huge ass at the end of all this.

Everyone loves a huge ass

doctorkickflip

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 09:16:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Everyone loves a huge ass

I'm convinced part of the reason I don't like Zion Wright's skating is because he's caked up and it looks funny.

Kooky_Monster

• Rep: 6
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 12:08:02 PM »
I quit skating for three years in my mid 20s for a cornucopia of reasons.

Getting the balance back was the hardest. I could visualize doing the tricks, but my body wouldn't allow it to happen. I'd dream of seeing that 360 flip come around, but id lose balance before the pop. All and all, I had to drop about 20 pounds of weight and skate consistently for a year for mostly everything to come back.

It's like muscle memory, you never lose it per se, but you have to retrain.

Sending the best, you'll get it back....it just takes time.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 12:12:05 PM »
Quit skating for 23-ish years right before I turned 19.

I have vague memories of doing harder stuff than I do now.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2020, 12:17:26 PM »
I try not to go more than a week without skating, anymore than a week and the rust starts forming and I start feeling flimsy on my board.

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 01:21:10 PM »
I was injured on and off during the winter and missed about 4 and a half months of skating.  The first hour is rough but honestly you would be surprised at how quickly a lot of tricks come back.  I also broke my ankle a few months before that and missed the whole summer but came back pretty quickly. 

Its funny cause if im fine and i take off a week of skating because of work then im fucked and i skate like shit for days afterward but if im injured and miss several months i can get back to normal a lot faster. 

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 01:22:29 PM »
That being said i also have friends who quit for a very long time because of work, life problems, etc. and its always sad seeing how much theyve regressed.  So dont quit for too long. 

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 01:25:13 PM »
Probably a month,
Get a cruiser board and just ride. .I jst picked one up from a brand called Retrospec, u don't have to do hard sht

I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 02:00:16 PM »
Maybe 4 days

Sounds about right honestly

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 02:16:01 PM »
Taking a month or two off of skating isn't really gonna effect you too much but anything more than that, you're looking at some frustrating days ahead.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2020, 11:22:19 AM »
I pretty much stop skating during winter altogether, so about 4-5 months off aside from a session once in a while in the garage if the lady is at work.
Went out today to see where I was at and I can't even ollie.
Super frustrating, it's like I can see where my feet are supposed to go and move but my old man brain can't get the signals there fast enough.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 11:24:36 AM »
When I was skating all the time it took a week to loose most my tricks

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 01:05:40 PM »
I was injured on and off during the winter and missed about 4 and a half months of skating.  The first hour is rough but honestly you would be surprised at how quickly a lot of tricks come back.  I also broke my ankle a few months before that and missed the whole summer but came back pretty quickly. 

Its funny cause if im fine and i take off a week of skating because of work then im fucked and i skate like shit for days afterward but if im injured and miss several months i can get back to normal a lot faster.

jealous. I broke my leg 2.5 years ago and I've come to accept it will never be better. I have arthritis in my feet too though. Lifes a bitch and then you die

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 01:13:08 PM »
I don't really lose much if I take a break. After 2 or 3 long sessions I'm back, trickwise. The only thing that fucks me up is that my fear comes back and I have to go through that again.