Author Topic: Skaters Who Are Jerks in Person  (Read 48385 times)

Donkey Lips

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 995
Re: Skaters Who Are Jerks in Person
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2020, 12:08:29 PM »
I think 95% of the pros/ams I have seen in person have been 5'6-5'8 and malnourished. .
  Most have been cool, but I knew at a very young age pros were not to be put on a pedestal. Show them respect like any other human.
McCrank was a sweetheart the one time I talked to him, and won the demo without acting like a super hero.

Only promote the dudes that fit the sample sizes.

And McCrank is the greatest. I completely forget that he was on Birdhouse for a moment. Same with Appleyard.

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »
I guess being nice to everyone is key but arent the people who are so stressed about wanting to have a good convo and lasting Impression on a random Person who happens to be good at skating fucking dumb?

Get of their dicks, hang out with your friends and enjoy the skating and stop making them feel like heroes

Reading through this topic feels like a pile of stories of hometown flow skater gossip lies ."Yeah i get shoes from cons, been skating with the whole Crew every now n then, sages pretty chill but he once punched a dog and he cant read well. Pretty Strange if you ask me"
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:36:39 PM by fs180 »

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2020, 12:33:49 PM »
Well fuck me maybe Andrew cannon deserves a noble peace prize

I found the comment a little distasteful like he’s going to depreciate himself but also throw me under the bus

its not like he stole my lunch money though,just thought it’d be funny to bring up

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dane Burman
Bryan Herman
Anthony Williams
Tristan Funkhouser
Nuge
Chris Wimer
That Hayden kid from Venice
They can all gobble on Craig’s Cobra!
[close]

Naw man, Wimer's the friendliest dude!
[close]
Dude brings his girlfriend to every session and makes out with her at the runway after he’s went full jock mode and one upped the most recent trick done there..... but yeah he’s friendly.

Chris Wimer is Shamweezy, confirmed.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2020, 01:19:23 PM »
Angel Ramirez and TNT were so full of themselves it immediately turned me off from getting too close.

Was in Carbondale 03’ for what was to be the initial KOTR and I was talking with Dan D and the DLXSF dude’s at the park some how me and Tony was still babbling on about something he was doing and I looked around for my friends and he snubbed me like, yeah dude you should probably find them....

Angel Ramirez not so much anything he said as he’s one of those dude’s that not much going on upstairs maybe a horny crippling rat in a wheel, barely functioning.

Anyways it’s around 07’ and cataclysmic abyss dropped he was definitely feeling his self he got the pro board moment at 303 boards. butttttt I think it went to his head and he flew too close to the sun.

As he got dropped off by Sinclair next video WTF! I believe Sierra Fellers took his spot. Like I said it wasn’t anything he said just his smugness gave me a bad impression, too many yes men and women feeding their egos makes someone uncomfortable.
before Angel got dropped

After he got dropped
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:02:04 AM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2020, 01:34:48 PM »
I guess being nice to everyone is key but arent the people who are so stressed about wanting to have a good convo and lasting Impression on a random Person who happens to be good at skating fucking dumb?

Get of their dicks, hang out with your friends and enjoy the skating and stop making them feel like heroes

Reading through this topic feels like a pile of stories of hometown flow skater gossip lies ."Yeah i get shoes from cons, been skating with the whole Crew every now n then, sages pretty chill but he once punched a dog and he cant read well. Pretty Strange if you ask me"

I don't know what you're expecting out of being here, but this is the place where detailed discussions happen about things like canine assault and poor reading comprehension among pro skaters.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2020, 02:46:35 PM »
The burnside tribe is an interesting one depending on the day you're there. Red and Germ have tried to flex on me one day but then have been great the next. Q-man, Pigpen, and Brent were always dicks.

Q-Man actually gave me my second board ever. He’s always been rad to me and kicked it with my dad sometimes but I haven’t seen him in like 10 years.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2020, 03:15:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't know what you're expecting out of being here, but this is the place where detailed discussions happen about things like canine assault and poor reading comprehension among pro skaters.

Also who wants or does not want that smoke.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2020, 03:23:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dane Burman
Bryan Herman
Anthony Williams
Tristan Funkhouser
Nuge
Chris Wimer
[close]

[close]
Dude brings his girlfriend to every session and makes out with her at the runway after he’s went full jock mode and one upped the most recent trick done there..... but yeah he’s friendly.
[close]

Wider was a dope guy. Skated with him at cherry park and was really nice. Gave me props on a trick I was trying and easy to talk to.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2020, 05:15:23 PM »
Me and @Francis Xavier were at a premiere once were Atiba cut in front of a whole line of people. He started from the back and quickly chatted with each person he knew in line until he was at the front.
@Monkey_Mcpott and Neen followed right after! The nerve haha

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1599
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2020, 08:10:00 PM »
Let's be honest, it could have easily been Ako.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

michael scarn

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2020, 08:18:10 PM »
Andrew cannon.

Came thru my local like 5 years ago before he was the nhs guy and I think he was on world/ain.

Anyway he did a nice nollie heel into a bank I said woo and slapped my board

He came back around the park and told me “you small town guys think that’s impressive you should go out to Cali and see what the real pros are doing u have no idea”. 

Mind u I’ve lived out west and in big city’s and have seen a few pros.... I wouldn’t wanna spend 5 more minutes around that guy

Damn. That sucks. He seems so cool.

KingSharkIsAShark

• Rep: -252
  • Future SLAP Pal
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2020, 08:29:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Andrew cannon.

Came thru my local like 5 years ago before he was the nhs guy and I think he was on world/ain.

He came back around the park and told me “you small town guys think that’s impressive you should go out to Cali and see what the real pros are doing u have no idea”. 

Mind u I’ve lived out west and in big city’s and have seen a few pros.... I wouldn’t wanna spend 5 more minutes around that guy
[close]

Damn. That sucks. He seems so cool.

That guy is annoying as hell on street league. Worse than felix.

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2020, 08:32:48 PM »
darius king?

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2020, 08:46:27 PM »
I once prank called Mike Mo right after Fully Flared came out and he forced me to change my number. This was back in 2008.

My friend’s ex had dated Mike and, I believe after they both realized how shitty that girl was, bonded. One night, we’re getting drunk and he casually says, “who wants to call Mike Mo?”. I jump at the opportunity while borderline blacked out on Jim Beam.

Phone picks up and he says, “Hello?”
Without skipping a beat, I start to go off on a fucking tangent about how every other part in that video was better than his. This is like 15-30 minutes of me talking at him and he not saying a word. Getting 0 reaction, I eventually got bored and said bye. He laughs a couple of times and says bye.

I fall asleep on my friends bong-water stained floor and wake up with a massive headache and a phone that won’t stop buzzing (A Motorola Razor). I open it and have something like 200 missed calls and countless text message. As I open to even check what they’re saying, the phone keeps buzzing. I start picking up the calls, so hungover that my teeth hurt, and proceed to have people from all over the country and world tell me I’m a piece of shit. After 3 days of nonstop calls and texts, I threw in the towel and changed my number.

As it turns out, Mike posted my number on his Myspace page right after I hung up, simply saying “Call this number, over and over again”. Nothing more than that.

So, yeah, I’m a fucking jerk in real life.

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »
^ Fakie, that owns, hahahah. That took me right back to 2008 - razor phones, myspace, bong-water stained floors and all. Thank you for a much needed good laugh ;D

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2020, 09:02:54 PM »
I once prank called Mike Mo right after Fully Flared came out and he forced me to change my number. This was back in 2008.

My friend’s ex had dated Mike and, I believe after they both realized how shitty that girl was, bonded. One night, we’re getting drunk and he casually says, “who wants to call Mike Mo?”. I jump at the opportunity while borderline blacked out on Jim Beam.

Without skipping a beat, I start to go off on a fucking tangent about how every other part in that video was better than his. This is like 15-30 minutes of me talking at him and he not saying a word. Getting 0 reaction, I eventually got bored and said bye. He laughs a couple of times and says bye.

I fall asleep on my friends bong-water stained floor and wake up with a massive headache and a phone that won’t stop buzzing (A Motorola Razor). I open it and have something like 200 missed calls and countless text message. As I open to even check what they’re saying, the phone keeps buzzing. I start picking up the calls, so hungover that my teeth hurt, and proceed to have people from all over the country and world tell me I’m a piece of shit. After 3 days of nonstop calls and texts, I threw in the towel and changed my number.

As it turns out, Mike posted my number on his Myspace page right after I hung up, simply saying “Call this number, over and over again”. Nothing more than that.

dang, myspace. havent heard that one in a long time. but to be fair, you werent necessarily wrong about the fully flared part. and in all honesty, he was probably crying while he typed up that shit on myspace. furthermore, your actions were unsolicited and therefore, make the story even better. imagine "chillin" at home with your girlfriend when you suddenly get a phone call from a phone number unknown to you. you pick it up and the person on the other line just goes off on you about how the footage of your last 3 years of skating was complete garbage. after spending all those hours, miles, freakouts, etc on that one video part your soul gets crushed from that one phone call. if i ever make it to ripe old age of "slap pal,"(although highly unlikely) you will be my first "gnar."

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2020, 09:10:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dang, myspace. havent heard that one in a long time. but to be fair, you werent necessarily wrong about the fully flared part. and in all honesty, he was probably crying while he typed up that shit on myspace. furthermore, your actions were unsolicited and therefore, make the story even better. imagine "chillin" at home with your girlfriend when you suddenly get a phone call from a phone number unknown to you. you pick it up and the person on the other line just goes off on you about how the footage of your last 3 years of skating was complete garbage. after spending all those hours, miles, freakouts, etc on that one video part your soul gets crushed from that one phone call. if i ever make it to ripe old age of "slap pal,"(although highly unlikely) you will be my first "gnar."
That's fucking gold lol I mean that's a hilarious scenario to imagine and witness.
Dueces Bitch's

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2020, 09:23:36 PM »
Some of these stories are so cringey. No wonder this place has such a bad reputation with pros/industry people. Drunk prank calls, not getting recognized after 10 years, trying to bro down with pros at parks/spots. Are some of you not self aware at all?

Imagine being a pro skater or actor or basketball player and some random dude is trying to start a conversation with you. Fanning out, trying to connect and bond over their fandom of you. So awkward.

I've met and seen pros/celebrities before, but have enough self respect to not turn into a giant fanboy groupie in front of them. They're talented skateboarders, that's it. The hero worship on slap is insane at times.

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2020, 10:02:29 PM »
Most of these stories sound like you guys acting like awkward weirdos and the pros not wanting to talk to you. I feel like Larry fucking David reading this shit. They aren't jerks. You guys are just weird.
Yep, it's especially obvious with the skater who was "nice to the guy who was really good at manuals" reality is skaters can tell who's really dedicated to skating and they respect each other, the saying real recognize real is well real. They can also tell the guys who've been "skating" for 8 years but haven't learned to tre flip like well most of slap.

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2020, 10:04:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Most of these stories sound like you guys acting like awkward weirdos and the pros not wanting to talk to you. I feel like Larry fucking David reading this shit. They aren't jerks. You guys are just weird.
[close]
Yep, it's especially obvious with the skater who was "nice to the guy who was really good at manuals" reality is skaters can tell who's really dedicated to skating and they respect each other, the saying real recognize real is well real. They can also tell the guys who've been "skating" for 8 years but haven't learned to tre flip like well most of slap.

Nobody recognize Nick Holt though

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2020, 10:37:37 PM »
@fakie nollie - should have known of a place where no calls go.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2020, 11:22:17 PM »
had a friend who went to woodward and he said jake johnson made fun of my friend's friend for wearing a helmet but honestly i think that's hilarious. also as a camper you have to wear one so???

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2020, 11:28:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Andrew cannon.

[close]

Wow, he really played himself. That's funny. Thanks for sharing.

I think Danny Way has gotten a more mellow attitude in maturity. Seems nice every time I saw him around town...

Probably mellowed out since he committed that hate crime.

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2020, 11:44:12 PM »
had a friend who went to woodward and he said jake johnson made fun of my friend's friend for wearing a helmet but honestly i think that's hilarious. also as a camper you have to wear one so???

there was a video i saw a long time ago, sponsor me tape i think, of jake johnson skating with a helmet. this was way before his chapman part.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2020, 12:03:20 AM »
I agree with the moral of people being wierd to pros and then calling them jerks for not being best friends with them really doesnt fit the bill here.

With that said - Kerry Getz for me is the worst person I ever meet. Thought he was supercool the first day, told me how great a skater I was, that I should come visit Philly etc. After a few weeks seeing him drunk, acting out, going to strip clubs, breaking boards in demos and walking out and having rage fits here and there I was over him. Almost ended up in a fight with him. He had given me a signed Nocturnal board, I binned that in the trash.

Eric Koston Ive meet 3-4 times and he has always comes of as a Jerk, but this has been on tours where Ive been the local "homie" and I know those people are hard to care for, so wont put to much on him for that.

Chris Pastras ive spent a week with on tour, dude was friendly but in an Iceblock kinda way, didnt care too much for him.

Most pros Ive meet actually been really friendly.

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2020, 12:24:20 AM »
I agree with the moral of people being wierd to pros and then calling them jerks for not being best friends with them really doesnt fit the bill here.

With that said - Kerry Getz for me is the worst person I ever meet. Thought he was supercool the first day, told me how great a skater I was, that I should come visit Philly etc. After a few weeks seeing him drunk, acting out, going to strip clubs, breaking boards in demos and walking out and having rage fits here and there I was over him. Almost ended up in a fight with him. He had given me a signed Nocturnal board, I binned that in the trash.

Eric Koston Ive meet 3-4 times and he has always comes of as a Jerk, but this has been on tours where Ive been the local "homie" and I know those people are hard to care for, so wont put to much on him for that.

Chris Pastras ive spent a week with on tour, dude was friendly but in an Iceblock kinda way, didnt care too much for him.

Most pros Ive meet actually been really friendly.

that doesnt surprise me juan bit. for fucks sake, his nickname is "hockey temper" after all. that alone is enough. whenever i see people freak out cuz they cant land a trick, i was always think, "maybe you should go play football or some stupid shit." it makes me think they dont actually enjoy skating at all. this especially goes for people whose livelihood doesnt depend on them landing a trick, aka non-sponsored.
and koston..........ha! some people should not reproduce.
as much as i like max schaaf and the fact that he "introduced" me to the possibility that skaters can do motorcycles, i cant help but think that he acts like a clique-y gooch everytime i talk to him. that could also be him being part of the "harley davidson chopper exclusive club" or whatever the fuck. steve cab also was super bummed when he saw that i was wearing half cabs, for some reason. that was awkward af. fun fact, max schaaf absolutely hates cab.

andy roy on the other hand, is an absolute sweetheart. i dont know if thats a big surprise to anyjuan, but whatever. when i seen him at a king diamond concert in 2015-ish, i asked him if i could get a photo of him for my instagram and without any hesitation, he happily obliged and for some reason pulled up his shirt and showed me his nipples. he also demanded that i get in the photo with him. no offense of any kind but he is the textbook definition of a "nice idiot." and with that, i will take a "nice idiot," over a "smart asshole" any fucking day of the week.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:37:05 AM by moneymoneymoney »

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2020, 12:36:46 AM »

With that said - Kerry Getz for me is the worst person I ever meet.

You had me after that. Good stuff. Thank you for that.

Your English is quite good but neglecting to use the past tense of "meet" ("met") shows your International hand a little (that and calling yourself the "local homie"). It reads well though. So where you from, buddy? I like the cut of your jib. Brazil? Somewhere in Eastern Europe? China?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2020, 01:31:37 AM »
Expand Quote

With that said - Kerry Getz for me is the worst person I ever meet.
[close]

You had me after that. Good stuff. Thank you for that.

Your English is quite good but neglecting to use the past tense of "meet" ("met") shows your International hand a little (that and calling yourself the "local homie"). It reads well though. So where you from, buddy? I like the cut of your jib. Brazil? Somewhere in Eastern Europe? China?

Yeah, sorry for that. Im from Sweden  :)

Bensquirts

• Rep: 75
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2020, 03:43:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dane Burman
Bryan Herman
Anthony Williams
Tristan Funkhouser
Nuge
Chris Wimer
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Wider was a dope guy. Skated with him at cherry park and was really nice. Gave me props on a trick I was trying and easy to talk to.

Have to agree with Wimer being a nice guy.  Skated with him a handful of times and he always chats me up.  Definitely the best skater I have ever seen in person, but still humble about it, which is nice. 

I've always heard Jamie Thomas was a dick but my encounters with him have always been nice as well. 

Donovon Piscopo once came through the town I live in with a few nike guys and bitched about every spot he was taken to.