Author Topic: Skaters Who Are Jerks in Person  (Read 48377 times)

Schneaumunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
  • Stop needlin’ me you prick!
Re: Skaters Who Are Jerks in Person
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2020, 05:07:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I agree with the moral of people being wierd to pros and then calling them jerks for not being best friends with them really doesnt fit the bill here.

With that said - Kerry Getz for me is the worst person I ever meet. Thought he was supercool the first day, told me how great a skater I was, that I should come visit Philly etc. After a few weeks seeing him drunk, acting out, going to strip clubs, breaking boards in demos and walking out and having rage fits here and there I was over him. Almost ended up in a fight with him. He had given me a signed Nocturnal board, I binned that in the trash.

Eric Koston Ive meet 3-4 times and he has always comes of as a Jerk, but this has been on tours where Ive been the local "homie" and I know those people are hard to care for, so wont put to much on him for that.

Chris Pastras ive spent a week with on tour, dude was friendly but in an Iceblock kinda way, didnt care too much for him.

Most pros Ive meet actually been really friendly.
[close]

that doesnt surprise me juan bit. for fucks sake, his nickname is "hockey temper" after all. that alone is enough. whenever i see people freak out cuz they cant land a trick, i was always think, "maybe you should go play football or some stupid shit." it makes me think they dont actually enjoy skating at all. this especially goes for people whose livelihood doesnt depend on them landing a trick, aka non-sponsored.
and koston..........ha! some people should not reproduce.
as much as i like max schaaf and the fact that he "introduced" me to the possibility that skaters can do motorcycles, i cant help but think that he acts like a clique-y gooch everytime i talk to him. that could also be him being part of the "harley davidson chopper exclusive club" or whatever the fuck. steve cab also was super bummed when he saw that i was wearing half cabs, for some reason. that was awkward af. fun fact, max schaaf absolutely hates cab.

andy roy on the other hand, is an absolute sweetheart. i dont know if thats a big surprise to anyjuan, but whatever. when i seen him at a king diamond concert in 2015-ish, i asked him if i could get a photo of him for my instagram and without any hesitation, he happily obliged and for some reason pulled up his shirt and showed me his nipples. he also demanded that i get in the photo with him. no offense of any kind but he is the textbook definition of a "nice idiot." and with that, i will take a "nice idiot," over a "smart asshole" any fucking day of the week.
Max Schaaf came here to Honozulu and he was kool as fuck. Perhaps it’s you?
The look and feel of hand tooled leather

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2020, 05:10:19 PM »
So you, a random redneck, were hammered and asked a sixteen year old a full ocean away from home how to pronounce his (pretty basic) name in the most obnoxious way possible, then set a pack of kids on him when he told you to fuck off, and HE’S the jackass in this situation?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
Two things...
Thing a.)
Expand Quote

Look at that neck
[close]

Go, go gadget neck!

!!!

...and thing 2.) Max has always been super cool w/ me, even going out of his way to stop me one day to try to return a board I left in his car 10 years prior. Dude is more than okay in my book.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2020, 05:41:29 PM »
I once had to wipe Geoff Rowley's tongue after he'd kissed his own arse for the day, and the fucking rude scouser didn't even thank me. Arsehole

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2020, 05:53:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I agree with the moral of people being wierd to pros and then calling them jerks for not being best friends with them really doesnt fit the bill here.

With that said - Kerry Getz for me is the worst person I ever meet. Thought he was supercool the first day, told me how great a skater I was, that I should come visit Philly etc. After a few weeks seeing him drunk, acting out, going to strip clubs, breaking boards in demos and walking out and having rage fits here and there I was over him. Almost ended up in a fight with him. He had given me a signed Nocturnal board, I binned that in the trash.

Eric Koston Ive meet 3-4 times and he has always comes of as a Jerk, but this has been on tours where Ive been the local "homie" and I know those people are hard to care for, so wont put to much on him for that.

Chris Pastras ive spent a week with on tour, dude was friendly but in an Iceblock kinda way, didnt care too much for him.

Most pros Ive meet actually been really friendly.
[close]

that doesnt surprise me juan bit. for fucks sake, his nickname is "hockey temper" after all. that alone is enough. whenever i see people freak out cuz they cant land a trick, i was always think, "maybe you should go play football or some stupid shit." it makes me think they dont actually enjoy skating at all. this especially goes for people whose livelihood doesnt depend on them landing a trick, aka non-sponsored.
and koston..........ha! some people should not reproduce.
as much as i like max schaaf and the fact that he "introduced" me to the possibility that skaters can do motorcycles, i cant help but think that he acts like a clique-y gooch everytime i talk to him. that could also be him being part of the "harley davidson chopper exclusive club" or whatever the fuck. steve cab also was super bummed when he saw that i was wearing half cabs, for some reason. that was awkward af. fun fact, max schaaf absolutely hates cab.

andy roy on the other hand, is an absolute sweetheart. i dont know if thats a big surprise to anyjuan, but whatever. when i seen him at a king diamond concert in 2015-ish, i asked him if i could get a photo of him for my instagram and without any hesitation, he happily obliged and for some reason pulled up his shirt and showed me his nipples. he also demanded that i get in the photo with him. no offense of any kind but he is the textbook definition of a "nice idiot." and with that, i will take a "nice idiot," over a "smart asshole" any fucking day of the week.
[close]
Max Schaaf came here to Honozulu and he was kool as fuck. Perhaps it’s you?

yep it's me. the case is solved.

tura

• Rep: 45
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2020, 07:02:07 PM »
Me and @Francis Xavier were at a premiere once were Atiba cut in front of a whole line of people. He started from the back and quickly chatted with each person he knew in line until he was at the front.

Sounds like his career trajectory

AxionCityStars

• Rep: -28
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2020, 08:05:54 PM »
Austyn Gilette is a Douche Bag

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 425
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2020, 08:22:20 PM »
So you, a random redneck, were hammered and asked a sixteen year old a full ocean away from home how to pronounce his (pretty basic) name in the most obnoxious way possible, then set a pack of kids on him when he told you to fuck off, and HE’S the jackass in this situation?

This is what I'm saying. Most of these stories are "I'm weird and I was weird to a pro and he didn't immediately offer to be my best friend, so he's a jerk."
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -423
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2020, 08:37:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Andrew cannon.

Came thru my local like 5 years ago before he was the nhs guy and I think he was on world/ain.

Anyway he did a nice nollie heel into a bank I said woo and slapped my board

He came back around the park and told me “you small town guys think that’s impressive you should go out to Cali and see what the real pros are doing u have no idea”. 

Mind u I’ve lived out west and in big city’s and have seen a few pros.... I wouldn’t wanna spend 5 more minutes around that guy
[close]

Wow, he really played himself. That's funny. Thanks for sharing.

I think Danny Way has gotten a more mellow attitude in maturity. Seems nice every time I saw him around town...
[close]

That sounds like he was trying to be self deprecating and maybe it came out like an insult. He’s a nice dude.

Nah don't make excuses that was mad douchey. Small town dissing straight up.

Pretty Serious

« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2020, 08:37:39 PM »

Look at that neck
I know someone has shopped a 1010 Mckay lovechild or maybe I'm thinking of a dildo.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -423
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2020, 08:38:43 PM »
I met Carroll once and we took a selfie with my daughter. He’s ok in my book.

I’ve run into Heath a couple times and he would not take a selfie with my daughter.

In Heath's defense that's a weird ass request

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2020, 05:45:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was skating in one of the Vancouver parks one fall day with a coach jacket with ‘anti bling’ stenciled in the back, minding my own business, when this jockish bro comes up to me, right in my face saying ‘So what, you are anti-bling? Does that me you’re anti-Me?!?’ while pulling out his gold chain with a red dragons logo on it.

It was so surreal how aggressive he was and just trying to start shit over nothing I was speechless.

I’m not saying who it is, just because I hope this asshole fades into obscurity, but yeah, a ‘pro’. 

Anyone from Vancouver could probably figure it out.
[close]

spill the beans bro, cmon.

Mose's was a complete dick back in the 99 or 00. He showed up at the local spot (peace park in mtl) admist some tour. Was basically cutting off all the locals (there was like 5 people at the spot, plenty of room, you could have waitied your turn) trying his f/s noseslides. He then tried to noseblunt the ledge slipped out and looked like a mean hipper.  Fuck him.

Mccrank and Arto were there too if I remember correctly. They didnt cut pople off.

Muska and the shortys guys rolled through the same spot 20 years ago too. All were hella cool. Muska had just gotten on Circa...
[close]

The first guy you mentioned, haha.

Thanks Cuctard!

Moses youre a douche (but your fs noselsides were pretty dope)!

More stories if you got em please!

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2020, 05:46:32 AM »
Andrew cannon.

Came thru my local like 5 years ago before he was the nhs guy and I think he was on world/ain.

Anyway he did a nice nollie heel into a bank I said woo and slapped my board

He came back around the park and told me “you small town guys think that’s impressive you should go out to Cali and see what the real pros are doing u have no idea”. 

Mind u I’ve lived out west and in big city’s and have seen a few pros.... I wouldn’t wanna spend 5 more minutes around that guy

Obviously since I wasn't there and this might have still been in his drinking days, I have no idea of how condescending his tone may have been, but it reading it and knowing what little I do about Andrew, it reads like he was just trying to make fun of himself. Referencing the "real pros" sounds like him kind of saying that he's not sure how he fits in to that description.

Now, all of my interactions with him have been through social media both in main threads and dm's, and he's always been super friendly and open, and to me seems like a rad dude to hang with these days. Like I said though, back in those days might have been another story, as something ultimately led him to give up drinking, and it probably wasn't because he was the most fun dude in the room.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2020, 08:36:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Look at that neck
[close]
I know someone has shopped a 1010 Mckay lovechild or maybe I'm thinking of a dildo.

If someone was to photoshop a wiggly dong on top of Mccays neck would be hilarious...
Dueces Bitch's

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2020, 11:45:15 AM »
I've met many pros. Some nice, some ultra nice and just one dick: Felipe Gustavo. Guy fucking sucks.
I was managing a skateshop at the time and I had to interview many pros from DC visiting Santiago.
They were pretty tired since they partied the whole night because Mike Mo bday but they were all super nice except for this dick.
Since almost all brazilians can speak Spanish I asked him if he preferred to talk in spanish rather than english and dude was annoyed af just because I asked. Then everytime I'll ask sth he would roll his eyes.
Diva complex at its finest.
Considering Brazilians speak Portuguese, he was right to be annoyed.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »
Expand Quote
I've met many pros. Some nice, some ultra nice and just one dick: Felipe Gustavo. Guy fucking sucks.
I was managing a skateshop at the time and I had to interview many pros from DC visiting Santiago.
They were pretty tired since they partied the whole night because Mike Mo bday but they were all super nice except for this dick.
Since almost all brazilians can speak Spanish I asked him if he preferred to talk in spanish rather than english and dude was annoyed af just because I asked. Then everytime I'll ask sth he would roll his eyes.
[close]

LOL
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Mink

• Rep: 4
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2020, 12:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was skating in one of the Vancouver parks one fall day with a coach jacket with ‘anti bling’ stenciled in the back, minding my own business, when this jockish bro comes up to me, right in my face saying ‘So what, you are anti-bling? Does that me you’re anti-Me?!?’ while pulling out his gold chain with a red dragons logo on it.

It was so surreal how aggressive he was and just trying to start shit over nothing I was speechless.

I’m not saying who it is, just because I hope this asshole fades into obscurity, but yeah, a ‘pro’. 

[close]

Mose's was a complete dick back in the 99 or 00. He showed up at the local spot (peace park in mtl) admist some tour. Was basically cutting off all the locals (there was like 5 people at the spot, plenty of room, you could have waitied your turn) trying his f/s noseslides. He then tried to noseblunt the ledge slipped out and looked like a mean hipper.  Fuck him.

Mccrank and Arto were there too if I remember correctly. They didnt cut pople off.

Muska and the shortys guys rolled through the same spot 20 years ago too. All were hella cool. Muska had just gotten on Circa...
[close]

[close]

Thanks Cuctard!

Dude also had an obvious hair transplant surgery and is lying about it:

Better delete those old pics LOL

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2020, 12:32:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah i think he knows that but he said most brazilians are able to speak spanish which isn’t true

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2020, 01:02:31 PM »
For 2 years in the mid 2010s, I managed the Vans park in Orange. Every year, around Pool Party time, all these washed up mother fuckers come from far and wide to drop the “don’t you know who I am?” act. I could go on for hours. Biggest dicks:

- PLG (no surprises there) - got mad that we were sold out of a certain style of knee pad and said we were making it hard for him to skate.
- Hosoi (again, no surprises) - acted like he forgot the park closed at 10 every night and would stay out there with his kids until 10:45 while everyone was clearly trying to go home.
- Bucky Lasek...there was a small crack in the coping and he said to me “I don’t know if you know this, but cracks aren’t good for skateboarding.”
- Jordan Richter - can’t remember exactly what he got mad about, but to his credit he actually ended up trying to apologize to me by giving me a set of those hammer in bolts.
- CJ Collins/his dad - in fairness to CJ he was like 12 at the time, but he stole an employees credit card and used it at a few different places, spit at employees, and was overall just a little shit. His dad is a Joe Rieder type, so again, hard to truly hold any of that against CJ.

But if you think pros can be jerks, try having to deal with people that are friends with/related to them. Moral of the story is don’t work at the skatepark for more than a few years.

ghettygreensili

• Rep: -9
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2020, 01:03:18 PM »
Never met them, but Danny Way and Mike Carroll give me that impression. As well as all the Supreme team.

Can't confirm about Danny Way. But Mike Carroll was a drunk asshole at a demo the stay flared demo in Milwaukee probably about 2014-2015? Like it's one thing to get drunk on tour... It's another thing to be belligerently drunk talking to literal children at the demo. Shits whack.
Frontside grind blind on the government

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2020, 01:27:54 PM »
Met lots of pros back in the 90s, everyone was pretty ok. The “I should be pro” guys were the worst.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks Cuctard!

[close]

Dude also had an obvious hair transplant surgery and is lying about it:

Better delete those old pics LOL

Lol c'mon

How could you deny that.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2020, 03:42:34 PM »
nothing wrong with bettering yourself, but damn dude, at least own it...

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2020, 04:01:19 PM »
-Danny Renaud was a piece of shit. He just loved torturing people.

-Brian Delatorre sucked ass. He was at the skatepark he was sponsored by (this was before MIA) everyday and was cocky af and thought he was the shit. Always snaking people so he could just kickflip the pyramid over and over. Skated some ledges at a school with him and his ledge skills and flatground were pathetic. We always laughed at the fact he tried to fight my friend for some stupid reason. Ipath grasshoper wearing motherfucker. His part in the Satori video was dope though.

-Lindsey Robertson wasn't a jerk but he was weird. He was sponsored by the same park as Dela. I met him there one day and my friend started asking him questions (this was right after Dying to live came out) and he just looked uncomfortable and answered everything with "yeah? Yeah...  ...yeah". That's the only word he used the entire conversation, kinda like how I talk to my kid when I'm reading slap and not really paying attention to what he's saying. To be fair though my friend was asking dumb questions like, was that heelflip indy hard? ...Yeah....

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #174 on: October 01, 2020, 10:12:49 AM »
I had clam chowder once with Zered Bassett and he kept hogging all the Oyster Bay Crackers so I flipped my soup bowl over and dipped out.

A class action dick

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2020, 11:59:45 AM »

I'm going Mike Hastie

edit: oh Moses my second guess
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 12:07:26 PM by figureitout »

Skatefool3000

• Rep: -13
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »
Figgy is a total asshole. Always see him at the bars and parks in Oside. Total douche complex thinks he’s better than everyone

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
I skated with prod once. He was surprisingly very loud and boastful all of the time. Kind of obnoxious. He was at the same time cool with us but his whole vibe left a weird taste in our mouth. We just absolutely have not expected him and his attitude to be this way.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:51:46 PM by BieberStance »

trash

• Rep: 15
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2020, 02:52:04 PM »
-Danny Renaud was a piece of shit. He just loved torturing people.

-Brian Delatorre sucked ass. He was at the skatepark he was sponsored by (this was before MIA) everyday and was cocky af and thought he was the shit. Always snaking people so he could just kickflip the pyramid over and over. Skated some ledges at a school with him and his ledge skills and flatground were pathetic. We always laughed at the fact he tried to fight my friend for some stupid reason. Ipath grasshoper wearing motherfucker. His part in the Satori video was dope though.

-Lindsey Robertson wasn't a jerk but he was weird. He was sponsored by the same park as Dela. I met him there one day and my friend started asking him questions (this was right after Dying to live came out) and he just looked uncomfortable and answered everything with "yeah? Yeah...  ...yeah". That's the only word he used the entire conversation, kinda like how I talk to my kid when I'm reading slap and not really paying attention to what he's saying. To be fair though my friend was asking dumb questions like, was that heelflip indy hard? ...Yeah....

Yeah... With those kinds of questions, can't really knock Lindsey.

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2020, 03:54:16 PM »
I've heard PJ Ladd is a jackass.

I had the exact opposite experience ca. 2002. I had come down to Skaters Island from NH, sporting a Penny mushroom graphic & black spray-painted éS Artos. He happened to have the same board (he just got on Flip) & black suede Artos. I did a kickflip to fakie on the big roll in & he gave me a little clap. After that, I had to mention the coincidence of having the same shoes & board, he gave me a little laugh & a few kind words (he killed the park too by the way). We ended up skating the vert flatground & as a 13 year old east coast kid in the post-WHL era it was something that always left a good impression on me. I'm not sure what he is like now, but the skateboard industry killed the once innocent PJ Ladd.

My friends had some bad experiences with Lee Berman, said he was a fucking dick.

Timmy Kenuth once barged his way into my friends room during Tampa Am & demanded that he stay in the room for free because he was a better skater.

In the same camp as the aforementioned Kenuth, Anthony Shetler wasn't as nice as his ethos would make him seem. Meet him & his "crew" at a spot in Providence once & said some kind words, resulting in kind of a snubby vibe.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 04:12:23 PM by Jim and Dan »
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"