Author Topic: Skaters Who Are Jerks in Person  (Read 48378 times)

cyrilgrey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Re: Skaters Who Are Jerks in Person
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2020, 05:54:17 PM »
Ron Allen. Always in a sour mood, always a shitty attitude. I asked him why he's always in a bad mood, and mentioned how he puts on this image of Mr. Positivity, MC Intelligence, telling motivational stories to the kids at demos, etc, etc, and you know what he said? With this mean ass look on his face, he yelled "FUCK THAT SHIT! THAT SHIT AIN'T REAL LIFE! THAT IS TO SELL BOARDS!" Never looked at the dude the same way again.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2020, 06:07:54 PM »
^I don’t wanna believe!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #212 on: October 05, 2020, 06:22:22 PM »
Shredmaster Keith is an insufferable little shithead if you see him at LES. Dude was all butt hurt at me because I didn't buy weed off him and told me "get the fuck outta my park". I just laughed because he tried acting like he was all tough and shit. My girlfriend's 10 year old son could easily body slam his scrawny little ass. Dude's an overrated clown

I know NY is different than CA but hearing about someone trying to sell weed on the street felt as dated as a landline telephone story

Ffe123123

« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2021, 02:45:52 AM »
First off - OP, focus your account for not even having a tale for this thread. You "think" they would be jerks?? ::)

Jayme Fortune comes to mind: dude pulled up to the park, saw me doing a trick, proceeded to do it first try, then rolled around and did it switch first try. I was like 12 and he was already an old douche, which made it even weirder. Every encounter afterwards was the same - guy lives at his parents house and thought owning an Audi made him cool.

JT Aultz was on the opposite side of spectrum. The real boys came to town for a demo, and afterward he saw me lurking by myself, came up and sat down next to me. Asked about the demo, yadda yadda, was a genuinely good dude. Matt Beach is another one who demonstrated grown-up brain.

Ed Templeton hazed me once for wearing Nikes at the Huntington park (RIP) back in 2010ish. TBH, he was more than right.

Well, Jayme didn’t live with his parents, he bought the house that they live in.

Ffe123123

« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2021, 03:02:22 AM »
First off - OP, focus your account for not even having a tale for this thread. You "think" they would be jerks?? ::)

Although, it does sound like you’re a bitter old guy that lives with his parent’s

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2021, 04:36:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Andrew cannon.

Came thru my local like 5 years ago before he was the nhs guy and I think he was on world/ain.

Anyway he did a nice nollie heel into a bank I said woo and slapped my board

He came back around the park and told me “you small town guys think that’s impressive you should go out to Cali and see what the real pros are doing u have no idea”. 

Mind u I’ve lived out west and in big city’s and have seen a few pros.... I wouldn’t wanna spend 5 more minutes around that guy
[close]

Wow, he really played himself. That's funny. Thanks for sharing.

I think Danny Way has gotten a more mellow attitude in maturity. Seems nice every time I saw him around town...
[close]

That sounds like he was trying to be self deprecating and maybe it came out like an insult. He’s a nice dude.

Having spent some time around the guy I thought the same ... was a saying his trick was not worth the praise

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2021, 04:44:06 AM »
Expand Quote

Jayme Fortune comes to mind: dude pulled up to the park, saw me doing a trick, proceeded to do it first try, then rolled around and did it switch first try. I was like 12 and he was already an old douche, which made it even weirder. Every encounter afterwards was the same - guy lives at his parents house and thought owning an Audi made him cool.

JT Aultz was on the opposite side of spectrum. The real boys came to town for a demo, and afterward he saw me lurking by myself, came up and sat down next to me. Asked about the demo, yadda yadda, was a genuinely good dude. Matt Beach is another one who demonstrated grown-up brain.

Ed Templeton hazed me once for wearing Nikes at the Huntington park (RIP) back in 2010ish. TBH, he was more than right.
[close]

Well, Jayme didn’t live with his parents, he bought the house that they live in.

Jayme, did you forget the password to your old account?
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #217 on: February 01, 2021, 05:45:20 AM »
Shredmaster Keith is an insufferable little shithead if you see him at LES. Dude was all butt hurt at me because I didn't buy weed off him and told me "get the fuck outta my park". I just laughed because he tried acting like he was all tough and shit. My girlfriend's 10 year old son could easily body slam his scrawny little ass. Dude's an overrated clown

“Shredmaster Keith? But you’re supposed to be dead! Spooky ghosts don’t need weed or money. That’s it, this ghost is 86’d, bro!”

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

atheosx

• Rep: -17
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #218 on: February 01, 2021, 06:53:39 AM »
Koston. Granted it was a signing and scribbling your name on every other kids shirt and throwaway poster is a terrible way to spend an hour of your life. But every single time ive had a pro model board for someone to sign theyve made an effort to atleast acknowledge i chose theirs and spent money to do so. I guess kostons seen enough of his own boards, signed it as quick as needed to get right back into his conversation, did even look up, completely put me off the guy. Petty maybe. But it was the complete opposite response i got from a fellow team rider not 10 seconds prior for the same thing.

It went in a cupboard, meant almost nothing to me afterwards, sold it for less than i paid some years later almost on principle. This coupled with watching the guy perform at any chance possible when a cameras aiming his way, seems like a kook, acts like one. Probably a kook. Still a legend.

Dane Burman. Hit and miss, he was in town on a volcom trip with arto and another name i cant remember at a local spot 15 away. Dm’d the guy expecting no response, he said yeh well be here for half hour, for sure stop by and say hi. Unexpected tbh. Friendly. Fast forward 3 years later, cops are bastards, everyones a racist, having even slight disagreements with me and my views means your everything wrong with the world. Hilariously odd dude. Probably pretty nice if you got to know him. Critical thinking not a strong point.

Beyond that, ive toured with bands and spent 4 weeks sitting in a van driving to uninteresting places to spent in a venue surrounded by people and skipping the coolest parts of town. It was a still a privilege to experience it but i get the sitting in a corner on your own feeling and just wanting nothing to do with people. Its ultra tough to truly relax in that world. You might have a hotel room or atleast a bed for 8 hours but its just not a few hours at your own house in your own bed to relax and settle. So i cant fault people too much.

The Chief. True gentleman. More than happy to chat. Appreciative of everyone wanting to offer a hello. Business aspect different story but thats how companies run sometimes.

Vallely. Embraced connecting with anyone and everyone. If you took the time to wait to say hello after the demo he took the time to chat till everyone was done.

Biebel. That upbeat personality is ultra fun to pick on from the gram, but at the very least its the real him, and in person ive never met a friendlier human being.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #219 on: February 01, 2021, 06:57:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

“Shredmaster Keith? But you’re supposed to be dead! Spooky ghosts don’t need weed or money. That’s it, this ghost is 86’d, bro!”

Paralegal Activity
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -212
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2021, 07:05:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Paralegal Activity

Shredmaster Keith forever uncleannnnnnn
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #221 on: February 01, 2021, 07:14:36 AM »
Koston. Granted it was a signing and scribbling your name on every other kids shirt and throwaway poster is a terrible way to spend an hour of your life. But every single time ive had a pro model board for someone to sign theyve made an effort to atleast acknowledge i chose theirs and spent money to do so. I guess kostons seen enough of his own boards, signed it as quick as needed to get right back into his conversation, did even look up, completely put me off the guy. Petty maybe. But it was the complete opposite response i got from a fellow team rider not 10 seconds prior for the same thing.

It went in a cupboard, meant almost nothing to me afterwards, sold it for less than i paid some years later almost on principle. This coupled with watching the guy perform at any chance possible when a cameras aiming his way, seems like a kook, acts like one. Probably a kook. Still a legend.

Dane Burman. Hit and miss, he was in town on a volcom trip with arto and another name i cant remember at a local spot 15 away. Dm’d the guy expecting no response, he said yeh well be here for half hour, for sure stop by and say hi. Unexpected tbh. Friendly. Fast forward 3 years later, cops are bastards, everyones a racist, having even slight disagreements with me and my views means your everything wrong with the world. Hilariously odd dude. Probably pretty nice if you got to know him. Critical thinking not a strong point.

Beyond that, ive toured with bands and spent 4 weeks sitting in a van driving to uninteresting places to spent in a venue surrounded by people and skipping the coolest parts of town. It was a still a privilege to experience it but i get the sitting in a corner on your own feeling and just wanting nothing to do with people. Its ultra tough to truly relax in that world. You might have a hotel room or atleast a bed for 8 hours but its just not a few hours at your own house in your own bed to relax and settle. So i cant fault people too much.

The Chief. True gentleman. More than happy to chat. Appreciative of everyone wanting to offer a hello. Business aspect different story but thats how companies run sometimes.

Vallely. Embraced connecting with anyone and everyone. If you took the time to wait to say hello after the demo he took the time to chat till everyone was done.

Biebel. That upbeat personality is ultra fun to pick on from the gram, but at the very least its the real him, and in person ive never met a friendlier human being.

So he's actually cool you just disagree with his politics? You don't think cops are bastards?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #222 on: February 01, 2021, 07:28:09 AM »
i honest to god have never met a pro skateboarder who was a jerk, but i don’t meet that many pros.

mike maldonado was really nice to lil enthusiast when i used to see him around

ronnie creager frontside flipped onto me at a blind/city stars demo and was really cool about it even though i was a 7 (?)year old full padded dumbshit

HappytobeHere

« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2021, 08:06:21 AM »

So he's actually cool you just disagree with his politics? You don't think cops are bastards?
[/quote]

Perhaps, he just appreciates more nuance than what a community college sociology class has to offer.

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2021, 08:24:58 AM »
The Ron Allen thing isn't true, I have hung out with him and had a good time laughed and shot the shit for a while. I haven't really had a shitty experience with anyone to be honest just those awkward but not bad ones. My friend hates Mark Appleyard, thinks he's the worst and the story is  hilarious.

Feast Beast East tour or whatever, Shane Cross days, my friend brings an OG Lance board to get signed. Lance had just gotten on Flip and was stoked to see that board in such good shape, super nice and signs it. Apples is like 'Sick! Can I see that?' My friend is like 12 and is like sure. Mark grabs a sharpie and signs it even bigger than Lance did as soon as it gets handed to him. Kid is in shock and Mark just passes it down the line, the rest of the team starts signing it. The whole time I'm sure my friend was just fuming watching the idiocy. Always complains about the ruined value. Cracks me up.
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

David Puddy

« Reply #225 on: February 01, 2021, 08:26:42 AM »
Ron Allen. Always in a sour mood, always a shitty attitude. I asked him why he's always in a bad mood, and mentioned how he puts on this image of Mr. Positivity, MC Intelligence, telling motivational stories to the kids at demos, etc, etc, and you know what he said? With this mean ass look on his face, he yelled "FUCK THAT SHIT! THAT SHIT AIN'T REAL LIFE! THAT IS TO SELL BOARDS!" Never looked at the dude the same way again.

i've had a few conversations with with ron at the skatepark, and the only takeaway ive had from any of them is the assertion that he'd still to this day whoop grosso or gonz's ass for talking shit on mike ternasky

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2021, 08:27:31 AM »
Ron Allen. Always in a sour mood, always a shitty attitude (...)

^I don’t wanna believe!

No fuckin' way !!!

One time (2011 I think) Ron showed up at my small insignificant local park. I was the only person there who knew who he was - I was honestly astounded. Why the fuck is Ron Allen skating at my hometown park ?! In VIRGINIA ?!

Anyway, I lost my mind watching him effortlessly ooze that same H-Street era swagger on some wedge ramp slashers, some heelflips and pop shuvits up the bank (it's a small park that pretty much rotates around this bank). After 20 minutes or so I approached him (mind you at this time I was a very haggard stoner and I'm sure the average person would've told me rightfully to fuck right of) and told him how much I love his tricks in my old tapes, how much I love his style and legacy etc. - he was so cool. Told me he was in the area to judge a Maloof (wow what a time that was) contest the following weekend, so he was touring local parks in the radius. He was fucking chill, and super friendly. Somewhat chuffed to see a fan in the middle of nowhere. Probably geeked that I was so excited ;D

Anyway that's a mouthful but I had to share my Ron Allen story cause he's one of my favorites and that shit was mind blowing. I've never before or since seen a pro show up to the local - let alone Ron Fucking Allen , by himself, on like a Tuesday, in the middle of Virginia.

So cool :)

EDIT: YES he did an airwalk and YES it was epic 8)

Brguy

« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2021, 08:52:39 AM »
I’ve met a lot of pros and the only dude who I got weird vibes from was Provost last year, and he wasn’t even an asshole. Just quiet and stayed by the van at a demo, kept looking at me weird too. I had skated DOS bowl with him and GT like 15 years ago when I was 10 and they were both super rad and trying to get me to push myself. I doubt he recognized me but that’s the only reason I can think of why he was muggin so hard lol.
It seems like you stared at him quite a bit too, dude.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2021, 02:46:43 PM »
I've heard a few times that Paul Hart is a jerk.

when he was at cph open in berlin he went out of his way to catch my board when i slipped out and he picked it up and rolled up to me
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Ishaboi

« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2021, 03:38:23 PM »
For 2 years in the mid 2010s, I managed the Vans park in Orange. Every year, around Pool Party time, all these washed up mother fuckers come from far and wide to drop the “don’t you know who I am?” act. I could go on for hours. Biggest dicks:

- PLG (no surprises there) - got mad that we were sold out of a certain style of knee pad and said we were making it hard for him to skate.
- Hosoi (again, no surprises) - acted like he forgot the park closed at 10 every night and would stay out there with his kids until 10:45 while everyone was clearly trying to go home.
- Bucky Lasek...there was a small crack in the coping and he said to me “I don’t know if you know this, but cracks aren’t good for skateboarding.”
- Jordan Richter - can’t remember exactly what he got mad about, but to his credit he actually ended up trying to apologize to me by giving me a set of those hammer in bolts.
- CJ Collins/his dad - in fairness to CJ he was like 12 at the time, but he stole an employees credit card and used it at a few different places, spit at employees, and was overall just a little shit. His dad is a Joe Rieder type, so again, hard to truly hold any of that against CJ.

But if you think pros can be jerks, try having to deal with people that are friends with/related to them. Moral of the story is don’t work at the skatepark for more than a few years.

CJ Collins' dad is fried, I feel bad for that kid. Randomly met him at a contest. Had no idea who he was, but while wasted at like noon he made sure I knew who his kid was and how wild last night was.

Shout out Jordan Richter for the Randoms peace offering. That's great.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #230 on: February 02, 2021, 10:21:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Although, it does sound like you’re a bitter old guy that lives with his parent’s

Looks like Jayme is a jerk in online form as well.

To be fair - my posts here are often far too negative. I did sound like a bitter basement-dweller.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -12
« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2021, 01:00:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Looks like Jayme is a jerk in online form as well.

To be fair - my posts here are often far too negative. I did sound like a bitter basement-dweller.
This whole interaction is pretty funny especially the fact that Jayme made a new account just to say hes a baller and bought his parents house.

iskateventures

• Rep: -26
« Reply #232 on: October 25, 2021, 02:36:30 PM »
Andrew cannon.

Came thru my local like 5 years ago before he was the nhs guy and I think he was on world/ain.

Anyway he did a nice nollie heel into a bank I said woo and slapped my board

He came back around the park and told me “you small town guys think that’s impressive you should go out to Cali and see what the real pros are doing u have no idea”. 

Mind u I’ve lived out west and in big city’s and have seen a few pros.... I wouldn’t wanna spend 5 more minutes around that guy

I heard he's a Satanist  that tries to push it on to everyone as well. he's  a kook

iskateventures

• Rep: -26
« Reply #233 on: October 25, 2021, 02:39:32 PM »
Me and @Francis Xavier were at a premiere once were Atiba cut in front of a whole line of people. He started from the back and quickly chatted with each person he knew in line until he was at the front.

you should of joined him. I dont think this is being a jerk its just being a networker

cynical cow

• Rep: 27
« Reply #234 on: October 25, 2021, 03:00:44 PM »
SPoT was my local in early/mid 2000s so lots of interesting stories…
PJ Ladd was a dick at a demo once, refused to skate and a little kid came up to him for an autograph and he said no and it pissed Clements off. Why even come to the demo?

Dyrdek while filming Street Dreams, no explanation needed. So cringe.

Yonnie Cruz has always been a douche bag.

Shit, my brain isn’t working anymore at the moment. But some good experiences: Navs, Svitak, Trujillo surprisingly was super nice, Alfaro, and Todd Jordan. Todd was the ultimate sweetheart.

jaesi25

• Rep: -153
« Reply #235 on: October 25, 2021, 03:53:57 PM »
Leo Romero- rolled up to the park and had to take a leak. First time there, I ask a dude where’s the ’froom.. it was Leo, he gave me such a look of disgust, for I assume was my not recognizing him.

Carroll blocked me from Furry and Girl because I made a comment about how they keep losing riders to drugs… still blocked.

PJ - fanned out on him at Whole Foods while I was working the bakery. I think it weirded him out to be recognized at the grocery store.. he was cool though.

Koston/Guy- during filming for Fully Flared- fanned on them at ValSurf. They were both totally cool (seemed surprised) so my hands and said thanks.

Koston/KB are my favorites.

I’ll go back to lurking now, you guys have a nice day
what i want when i want with who i want how i want.

Bupstop

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #236 on: October 25, 2021, 04:33:48 PM »
Neil Blender was kind of a jerk to me when he was doing a signing at Sunshine House in the Marley Station Mall back in the late 80s (I think).
He was signing pictures and handing out stickers so I asked him if he would sign my G&S wristband. He raised such a stink about it but he did actually sign it for me after my dad said something to the effect like “just sign the kids fucking bracelet”. He seemed pretty bummed but he did it and gave me a big stack of stickers.
So, kind of a jerk (understandably so) and kind of not.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #237 on: October 25, 2021, 08:35:24 PM »
I once prank called Mike Mo right after Fully Flared came out and he forced me to change my number. This was back in 2008.

My friend’s ex had dated Mike and, I believe after they both realized how shitty that girl was, bonded. One night, we’re getting drunk and he casually says, “who wants to call Mike Mo?”. I jump at the opportunity while borderline blacked out on Jim Beam.

Phone picks up and he says, “Hello?”
Without skipping a beat, I start to go off on a fucking tangent about how every other part in that video was better than his. This is like 15-30 minutes of me talking at him and he not saying a word. Getting 0 reaction, I eventually got bored and said bye. He laughs a couple of times and says bye.

I fall asleep on my friends bong-water stained floor and wake up with a massive headache and a phone that won’t stop buzzing (A Motorola Razor). I open it and have something like 200 missed calls and countless text message. As I open to even check what they’re saying, the phone keeps buzzing. I start picking up the calls, so hungover that my teeth hurt, and proceed to have people from all over the country and world tell me I’m a piece of shit. After 3 days of nonstop calls and texts, I threw in the towel and changed my number.

As it turns out, Mike posted my number on his Myspace page right after I hung up, simply saying “Call this number, over and over again”. Nothing more than that.

So, yeah, I’m a fucking jerk in real life.

This story needs a bump, cracked me up.

Anti waxxer

• Rep: -12
« Reply #238 on: October 25, 2021, 09:17:32 PM »
Shredmaster Keith was a dickhead when I met him… like most nyc skaters, and I saw him wax coping once. That’s an offense on the highest level.

seriously dude

• Rep: 19
« Reply #239 on: October 25, 2021, 09:42:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Jayme, did you forget the password to your old account?

I wasn't going to say anything because it's weird to call someone a dick when you never really knew them in the first place and haven't seen them in 20 years, but whatever. When I saw this thread back up, Jayme was the first person that came to mind.

Used to see him regularly in the late 90's and he was always a dick, which is fine. Overly nice people are fuckin creeps. But one time at the Salem fairgrounds park a little kid rode in front of him right as he was about to throw his board down and he spit at him. Landed on the kid's back. It's so ridiculous in hindsight that it's kinda funny. Again, whatever, I'm sure you're a nice guy Jayme and your Audi was tight.

Matt Beach was just quiet and awkward. He's by far the best skater I've ever seen in person in all 30 years of skating. Doesn't get enough credit. And Dave Hupp is a legend and the nicest guy ever.