Author Topic: Skaters Who Are Jerks in Person  (Read 47963 times)

DannyDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Re: Skaters Who Are Jerks in Person
« Reply #270 on: October 26, 2021, 08:29:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Chris Cole :

He was at the same demo, went to him mid demo (which was stupid to think about it) he signed my shirt and told me " you think the crowd would go crazy if i do this first try? " and before i could answer he did a kickflip fs 50 first go down a crazy rail.. and yes. the crowd went nuts, really cool dude.
[close]

I wasn't there but zero was doing a demo at a local indoor park and my friend asked Cole to back 3 kickflip the double set jokingly. The story went that Cole said, "oh that's for the ender." As he smirked, winked and skated away. Like an hour later, he went and did it first try and the place went wild.
[close]

If both of these are true it made me love Chris Cole even more lmao what a geek.
While they'll never be the "cool guys of skateboarding" some pros just get branding and the importance of doing something small for them is huge for someone else.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #271 on: October 26, 2021, 08:32:26 PM »
Expand Quote
SPoT was my local in early/mid 2000s so lots of interesting stories…
PJ Ladd was a dick at a demo once, refused to skate and a little kid came up to him for an autograph and he said no and it pissed Clements off. Why even come to the demo?

Dyrdek while filming Street Dreams, no explanation needed. So cringe.

Yonnie Cruz has always been a douche bag.

Shit, my brain isn’t working anymore at the moment. But some good experiences: Navs, Svitak, Trujillo surprisingly was super nice, Alfaro, and Todd Jordan. Todd was the ultimate sweetheart.
[close]

1:58

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hMUjOF-0Xwc
Too bad about the bumper at the end for the Keelan Dadd/Baby Scumbag interview that has no doubt been scrubbed from the internet years ago
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Heywood Jeblowme

• Rep: -23
« Reply #272 on: October 26, 2021, 09:48:24 PM »
I have definitely seen that behavior, but to be fair, he's been sober for a while now and has a family and a full time job.  You wouldn't even know he was the same person.  It's crazy.

That’s rad to hear. Nothing better than a dude turning it all around

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #273 on: October 26, 2021, 11:18:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Chris Cole :

He was at the same demo, went to him mid demo (which was stupid to think about it) he signed my shirt and told me " you think the crowd would go crazy if i do this first try? " and before i could answer he did a kickflip fs 50 first go down a crazy rail.. and yes. the crowd went nuts, really cool dude.
[close]

I wasn't there but zero was doing a demo at a local indoor park and my friend asked Cole to back 3 kickflip the double set jokingly. The story went that Cole said, "oh that's for the ender." As he smirked, winked and skated away. Like an hour later, he went and did it first try and the place went wild.
[close]

If both of these are true it made me love Chris Cole even more lmao what a geek.
[close]
While they'll never be the "cool guys of skateboarding" some pros just get branding and the importance of doing something small for them is huge for someone else.

I will always a fan of Cole, even if he can be corny most of the time. That dude gets what he has to do for sponsors and fans, and never went the easy way with his part. An all time great.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #274 on: October 26, 2021, 11:38:55 PM »
Thread title: Skaters Who Are Jerks in Person.
SLAP posters: This one pro was actually super cool to me once at a demo.

Goddamnit!!!
I’m not trying to hear about your good times buddying down with pros Y & Z when the boom boom X league came to your town.
How about all of you happy-go-lickies go start a thread about the awesome, friendly pros you’ve met & leave the rest of us to grouse about that one awkward experience we had at an in-shop autograph signing when we were 12, okay?!?

Also, I have never not enjoyed bumping into Frank Gerwer whilst out & about. Knees of the bee, that fellow.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #275 on: October 27, 2021, 12:32:13 AM »
Thread title: Skaters Who Are Jerks in Person.
SLAP posters: This one pro was actually super cool to me once at a demo.

Goddamnit!!!
I’m not trying to hear about your good times buddying down with pros Y & Z when the boom boom X league came to your town.
How about all of you happy-go-lickies go start a thread about the awesome, friendly pros you’ve met & leave the rest of us to grouse about that one awkward experience we had at an in-shop autograph signing when we were 12, okay?!?

Also, I have never not enjoyed bumping into Frank Gerwer whilst out & about. Knees of the bee, that fellow.
I’ll take your advice and compliment Nilton Neives (sorry spelling). Showed up at the Berkeley park ripped, was super cool.  Fast forward about  2 years later down at a asr trade show at a nearby restaurant where he is there with his lady and young daughter.  Dude shouts out me and my lady and introduce’s us to his family, my wife to this day loves that moment.  Nilton rules

somefucker

« Reply #276 on: October 27, 2021, 04:12:51 AM »
I'm gonna give Reynolds benefit of the doubt for our interaction in 2014 in a little skatepark in northern NY.

He, Spanky and Herman were the only ones skating, yet seemed all zombified/didn't crack too may smiles or display any hype attitude for the kids. I believe they were toward the end of a tour so I imagine they were likely fried skating all these parks and doing tricks. I got a serious jerk vibe but could have approached Reynolds at an off time.

Neen, Dollin, Beagle, Neck, Riley, Figgy were all very chill and told jokes/mingled with everyone even if they weren't skating. TFunk disappeared somewhere, he very well could have got mixed up in the crowd of children I imagine.

quackquack

• Rep: -379
« Reply #277 on: October 27, 2021, 06:47:06 AM »
I heard Borra can be a real stickler if you have a poster.
Oh, the places you'll go.

JohnnyCash

• Rep: 2
« Reply #278 on: November 01, 2021, 12:23:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Chris Cole :

[close]

[close]

Mines true 100% !

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #279 on: November 01, 2021, 01:30:35 PM »
Karma Tsocheff was a bitch, trying to pick a fight with me when he was drunk and noticed I didn't have an American accent.

That was in France.

I literally bumped into Sean Sheffey when he was getting some food at a buffet in the pro and press room at a big contest.

He spilled some food and I was sure he was going to kick my ass  He had already gotten into some fights that weekend,  I heard someone in the room say "uh-oh".

Then he smiled like a gentle giant and said something like "sorry bro."

Oof.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:36:20 PM by TheDraught »

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #280 on: November 01, 2021, 02:19:25 PM »
Danny Renaud stayed at my house once. He swam every morning and showered every night. That dudes the fucking man.
p-shuvs and v-flips

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #281 on: November 01, 2021, 02:21:51 PM »
Wait fuck you guys fucked me up.

Can for the 1000th time confirm Yonnie is a jerk
p-shuvs and v-flips

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #282 on: November 01, 2021, 02:43:48 PM »
Karma Tsocheff was a bitch, trying to pick a fight with me when he was drunk and noticed I didn't have an American accent.

That was in France.

I literally bumped into Sean Sheffey when he was getting some food at a buffet in the pro and press room at a big contest.

He spilled some food and I was sure he was going to kick my ass  He had already gotten into some fights that weekend,  I heard someone in the room say "uh-oh".

Then he smiled like at gentle giant and said something like "sorry bro."

Oof.

It's insane how different yung shef and old zen shef are

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #283 on: November 01, 2021, 03:04:13 PM »
I crashed the Danny Way event where he dropped in off of the Hard Rock Hotel neon guitar in Las Vegas around 2006). Got to meet a few pros and interact with them, I had a VIP lanyard on just like them.

Mathias Ringstrom - Really cool, he was grabbed me by the shoulders and started swaying me left and right to explain how windy is was at the top of the mega roll-in ramp

Rune Glifburg - Preoccupied, I think he was pissed he couldn't land his Japan Air

Rob Dyrdek - Playing pool table with Big Black about 10 other people watching, constantly talking and telling stories. Pretty funny and totally how I pictured him in person.

PJ Ladd - Down at the Hard Rock Pool it was a private VIP party, super packed, tons of free booze, celebs and girls. PJ was sitting by himself away from the action drinking a Corona.

Danny Way and Bob Burnquist - In the VIP Penthouse they were in the dining room area having a glass and wine, in what looked like a serious conversation. I said "what's up" and tried to talk to them but they both gave me the quick nod. Made sense I think they were just catching up on life.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #284 on: November 01, 2021, 03:48:09 PM »
Expand Quote

That was in France.

Then he smiled like at gentle giant and said something like "sorry bro."

Oof.
[close]

It's insane how different yung shef and old zen shef are

Right. I was scrolling through D Ways Insta a few months ago, Danny and Colin were in the front of the car (they always look like a happy gay couple together, they just always look really happy in each others company, I think their relationship has also outlasted several marriages of each)

Anyway, Danny then turns his phone to the back seat and there is Shef chilling and smiling, that clip had a good vibe

This is it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFVGlqkAYtT/?utm_medium=copy_link

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #285 on: November 01, 2021, 04:21:10 PM »
me

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #286 on: November 01, 2021, 04:40:33 PM »
I can tell you who's not a jerk. Donny Barley.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #287 on: November 01, 2021, 05:06:36 PM »
fuck i love karma tsocheff

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #288 on: November 01, 2021, 05:19:20 PM »
Ray barbee was so mean to me

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
« Reply #289 on: November 01, 2021, 05:26:45 PM »
I was dishwashing at a diner one night when I realized that the element team was eating in the dining room. As i went out to bus some tables I stopped by their section and jokingly asked 'Where is the muska!?' Donny barley looked bummed but Evan Smith was super hyped and wanted me to come out to the demo the next day. Told him I didnt have a car and it was too far away, he seemed genuinely bummed haha. Didn't expect to like him as a person cause he was still in that lame phase where he had just turned pro and was a dork in my book
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #290 on: November 01, 2021, 05:43:44 PM »
Danny Renaud stayed at my house once. He swam every morning and showered every night. That dudes the fucking man.

Sizzla ah jam wi Danny many ah time. Him top notch ranking dread. Keep it up, keep it up--red, gold, an green.
I an I haff nah white god

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #291 on: November 01, 2021, 07:52:50 PM »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Lord Viper Scorpion

« Reply #292 on: November 01, 2021, 07:59:57 PM »
Mark Partain... late 80's. The dude laughed at me when I ate shit doing a backside boardslide. When I stood up, the sun was low in the sky and shining from behind me, he starts making fun of my ears because they stick out and he can see the sun glowing through my ears. Then he makes a few comments about my big teeth. I was about 12 years old and this crushed me. He then told me to practice falling some more. With my eyes getting all watery, I told him to fuck off and I split.

haha

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #293 on: November 01, 2021, 09:15:06 PM »
Ray barbee was so mean to me

I call bullshit

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #294 on: November 02, 2021, 12:36:24 AM »
Nyjah back in 2014. Hollywood, Los Angeles right after an SLS stop he *barely* won on a borrowed Shane O'Neill's board. I had after party access to the spot (friend worked for SLS at the time) it was held at and saw him roaming around with ladies following him. He did not give one fuck about those women, whether they were groupies or his actual friends. Did not pay them any attention or give them time while walking around and interacting with people haha! Definitely got jerk vibes from him that night. I didn't even bother saying hi to him because I'm not a Nyjah fan.

I saw him in the bathroom go into a stall and presumably do some coke because his nose was extra itchy when he was washing up after.
Super Champion Fun Zone

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #295 on: November 02, 2021, 04:10:28 AM »
Me

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
« Reply #296 on: November 02, 2021, 04:53:15 AM »
The Gargoyle himself, Chad Fernandez. I saw that guy looking like a complete jerk in public wearing a fedora, white sunglasses, and disconnected large headphones as an accessory.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #297 on: November 02, 2021, 05:46:02 AM »
Peter sidlauskas, mark humienik, and billy mcfeely came to my friends video premiere and when we went and said what’s up they kinda just gave us this dumbfounded look and didn’t say a word. We were also pretty drunk at that point so take that how you will

Mark us a nice kid … I work with him occasionally…. I’d bet he was shocked to be recognized… he’s a humble dude

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
« Reply #298 on: November 02, 2021, 09:59:57 AM »
The Gargoyle himself, Chad Fernandez. I saw that guy looking like a complete jerk in public wearing a fedora, white sunglasses, and disconnected large headphones as an accessory.

Chad fernandez gave me a hug and took a selfie with me when I told him I was a fan and had one his world boards growing up.. not a jerk just a kook.
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

winnasoda

• Rep: -31
« Reply #299 on: November 12, 2021, 12:03:10 PM »
Tony Miroana hands down this biggest asshole and Coke headed cool guy.

My friend and I helped bring bags of concrete to boardertown, we skated it all the time, brought food for the BBQ, etc etc. Everyone was cool in that 2007-2010 Oakland scene like Albino and even Peabody (although he was awkward quiet).

My buddy is regular like Tony M and had better lines than him in his own park. Tony tried to say “we were cut”. We kept going and every time we saw Tony he would throw a bottle at us or say we needed to get him beer. He was the most pathetic, butthurt, manchild I’ve ever met in my life, not just in skateboarding. We had other encounters with him at Lower Bobs and a pool in the Oakland Hills.

More Tmo Stories please

Dude has the weirdest fucking life of all time😂