Author Topic: Skatelier, A Weekly Newsletter About Clothing/Skateboarding/Shoes  (Read 1713 times)

toque

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Skatelier, A Weekly Newsletter About Clothing/Skateboarding/Shoes
« on: September 22, 2020, 08:26:46 PM »
I just started a little newsletter about the overlap between the worlds of skateboarding and clothing. The first one went live today and I wanted to post it here and invite anyone that finds it entertaining to sign up to receive a couple emails a week. 

https://skatelier.substack.com

Transcending the Sum of the Parts: The Quantum Mechanics of Dickies and a Cotton Tee

A pair of Dickies 874 work pants and a cotton T-shirt (preferably purchased from a skate shop) are the two most basic building blocks to consider when creating a "skateboarder outfit."  Running around $50 in total, it’s a democratic look that's as timeless as it is versatile; the cheapest and easiest way to look cool. The combo might skew more hesh, but it can just as easily go fresh with the right logo choice and footwear. There’s plenty of options to make this one your own -- size up or down, logo or no-go, cut, cuffed, or stacked-up hemline, and on and on. Above all else, the infinite number of color-blocking combinations allows the wearer to express their own little inner world, whether that consists of something fun and flowery or a strict adherence to nihilistic grey tones.

The cubular nature of the color-blocked kit is elevated by the shapes of the clothes themselves. Tee wise, most blanks used by skate companies are on the boxier side and the starched, rectangular shape of 874s can make the wearer look like they’re sporting pants designed for a Lego man. Thousands of skateboarders have chosen this outfit as their go-to, but a certain special few have curated combinations that are worth more than the sum of their proletarian parts.

Julien Stranger is the originator of some of the best NorCal color combos. His first masterpiece was the blue over grey, but when he mixed the brown with the kelly green it changed barney fashion forever. The green pops off the brown in a playful way and the fully saturated tones of both pants and shirt bring to mind the straight-forward innocence of like, an illustration of a farm in a children’s book. Julien tills the soil at Benicia park (RIP) like a John Deer tractor preparing an imaginary farmscape for the season’s seeds. Decidedly working class without being severe, these compositions opened up the doors for all types of hesh experimentation.

A number of skateboarders work the greyscale on some “let the skating do the talking” type shit. Black Dickies and a grey shirt (or vise versa) is a minimalist statement often used by sensitive, artsy skaters. It’s worth noting that this look can easily go south into “sexy waiter” territory with too much accessorization or hair product. Jake Johnson is one skateboarder who uses this combination, along with his monolith stature, to create a statement similar to a brutalist architect’s. The simplicity forces the viewer to confront the sheer weight and power of what’s in front of them. He’s also known for his wallride prowess, and if the Skatelier team’s photoshop skills were more advanced we would’ve produced an image of him going switch backside 50 feet up on Paul Rudolph Hall or whatever. There’s uh, a lot of fun little layers in this analogy.

Few are willing to go full-tonal when it comes to ~The Combo~, but Tom Karangelov has carved out a niche while expressing pure moods with pure color. If Hiroshi Yoshimura’s 1986 masterpiece “Green” is an ode to the color which represents fresh new life, Tom’s all-green ‘fits represent bringing a fresh new approach to So-Cali spot selection through extensive blockwork. Along with various rust-related choices, the Kirchart-approved full white and full navy kits are staples in his wardrobe. While Picasso’s Blue Period lasted 4 years, Tom is able to work through the blues in one single clip. One thing that’s apparent in all of his choices is a level of intention. Tom is putting thought into producing outfits that are visually enticing in a way that compliments the other aesthetic choices he makes in video parts.

Bobby Worrest is one skateboarder who is likely not as meticulous about his ‘fit selection, yet has continued to stun and amaze fans with his color combos over the years. He evokes Stranger with the blue over grey and kelly green on brown, works the greyscale, and gets a bit tonal with royal and navy. He also goes outside the box with unique color combos all his own. Specks of heather grey are sprinkled over an olive base, hazard orange combines with navy, and he gives the viewer a double dose of yellow (shoes and tee) against the backdrop of some black 874s. How can one man use but two simple garments to achieve such a range of expression?

The simple answer would be that he wears whatever T-shirts his sponsors send him and buys random pairs of Dickies from a surplus store whenever the need arises, but our team of artisans believe there’s something deeper going on. Bobby may in fact think he’s taking a laissez-faire approach to dressing himself, but it seems as if a divine presence may be using quantum channels to manifest these ‘fits.

Perhaps the hand of the Deluxe employee packing his boxes is guided by something intangible. This same unknown force shuffles the navy Dickies to the top of the pile of clothes in the corner of his room in order for them to be properly combined with the red Nike tee he wakes up in to create a magnificently Mondrianesque statement, the gravity of which never even breaches Bobby’s consciousness. This transcendent source of mysterious wisdom knows that filming 11 parts in 10 years, staying hydrated during DC summers, and perfecting switch backside noseblunt slides while riding parallel to the ledge are more important endeavors than fussing about with clothing. Bobby’s skateboarding itself is so important to the akashic records that the inherent wisdom of the universe itself takes care of making sure the outfits are right so he can continue to produce at peak levels.

You can sign up and check out an additional little introductory post here:

Thanks for looking :-)

wheee!

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Skatelier, A Weekly Newsletter About Clothing/Skateboarding/Shoes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 08:46:38 PM »
You’re serious?

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 04:15:07 AM »
This is fantastic.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 04:33:11 AM »
I can already hear Slap making fun and complaining, but I think this is great. I subscribed.

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 07:59:08 AM »
Well done.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 10:18:39 AM »
I'm for it. Gonna sub.

doctorkickflip

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 10:21:20 AM »
Came back to add that the Goodwill Hunting photoshop on the "A Quick Introduction" is so fucking funny and sadly too relatable.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 11:16:41 AM »
At first I thought it was just a bunch of dickies and t-shirts that are either a different color, the same color, or a similar color. I was wrong.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 11:20:36 AM »
that's surface level thinking man

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 11:47:49 AM »
I like this.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 12:07:00 PM »
Immediately subscribed.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

toque

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 07:26:36 PM »
You’re serious?

Dead fuckin' serious, bro.

Thanks for the kind words and big thanks to the folks that signed up!

wheee!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1926
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 08:23:17 PM »
I'm not much into skate fashion (black pants, whatever shoes) but I'm definitely down to show some love, subbed.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 10:48:15 PM »
This gave me a good chuckle. Subbed.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1227
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 07:53:18 AM »
also subbed
well done

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 08:50:59 AM »
How do I pronounce this?

Skate-liar?

Skate-Lee-yay?

Skately-er?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

toque

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 12:05:11 AM »
How do I pronounce this?

Skate-liar?

Skate-Lee-yay?

Skately-er?
sk
uh
·
teh
·
lee
·
ei

A play on the French "atelier"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/atelier

Thanks for looking!

wheee!

toque

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 01:32:33 AM »
Alright this will be my last spam post here. Big thanks to anyone who signed up. These will come out every Friday.

Each week we’ll send an email with 5 outfits chosen at random by the algorithm embedded in the brainstems of the team of artisans at Skatelier. Just some free association without much rhyme or reason. Mostly classic ones this week but who knows what's up with next Friday.

Halfway through his 20 Shot Sequence part, Keenan Milton rides backward into frame sporting a shirt with a giant Nike logo, some medium-baggy black denims, and black/white Adidas Superstars that are untied with the laces dangling out of the top eyelets. By all accounts, Keenan was an amazing person that was a treat to be around and brought lighthearted energy to every situation. You can imagine him combining the Nike shirt with the Adidas knowing it’d get a reaction, showing up to Lockwood, and bullshitting with his friends in between tries while filming this line. Leave a comment if you have any guess as to what type of watch he’s wearing. This is a legendary one. 

Any time the group of fine craftspeople at Skatelier argue about who the “best” skateboarder of the modern age is, Simon Isaksson’s name is thrown into the mix. His spot selection can be described by words like avant-garde, dangerous, and crusty, but he approaches every weird situation wearing garments with maxed out leisure attributes. Every photo in his recent Free interview is a masterpiece. Sometimes he looks like he just got done playing a round of golf, but for this bizarre double convex planter ride, he’s chosen a fleece ACG vest layered over some type of purple windbreaker, generously cut cords in a deep navy, and some GT Blazers. Sour Solution 3 can’t come soon enough.

Ethan Fowler progressed through a handful of well-defined phases in his career. This colorful outlier snuck in there somewhere near the end of the Tincan Folklore era before be got on the all-black mod hype and skated to The White Stripes. Love the bright tones and movement seen in the aloha shirt. The wash on the denim is that perfect “regular guy” middle ground. The Old Schools (the Skatelier team rejects Vans’ use of “Skool”) and mesh hat make sense here considering Ethan’s proximity to NorCal barnyism via his Stereo/Deluxe affiliation at this time. Upon viewing these pictures, one of our skilled artisans set aside their work, clicked through the 20 open tabs in their browser to find eBay search results for “USA Made Vans”, and hit the refresh button.

Bone-toned kit and a boned ollie. If someone tried to skate in a unique hat that represented the culture of every place they traveled to in the IG era it’d probably be on some wet boner shit, but Kenny Reed pulled it off. He was always humbly “throwing shapes” with something fun covering his head. An ecru cap and button-up mixed with the dusty grey chinos is accentuated by little glints of silver on the wrists. The pants represent the pavement while the top half matches the humble dwellings that could very well be found in like, 40 different zones around the globe. This won’t be the last time you see Kenny in a 5 ‘Fit Friday.

This Reda shot of Huf is pure power. His skating was distilled down to the essence — the basics done with intent and precision. DC Howards, baggy blue jeans, a white tee, and a little chain is a ‘fit with congruency to his whole approach. All substance, nothing unnecessary. 100% classic. Thanks, Keith. 

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:42:23 AM by toque »

wheee!

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 05:14:01 AM »
Expand Quote
How do I pronounce this?

Skate-liar?

Skate-Lee-yay?

Skately-er?
[close]
sk
uh
·
teh
·
lee
·
ei

A play on the French "atelier"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/atelier

Thanks for looking!

Thanks! I was close.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 05:49:35 AM »
Alright this will be my last spam post here. Big thanks to anyone who signed up. These will come out every Friday.

Each week we’ll send an email with 5 outfits chosen at random by the algorithm embedded in the brainstems of the team of artisans at Skatelier. Just some free association without much rhyme or reason. Mostly classic ones this week but who knows what's up with next Friday.

Halfway through his 20 Shot Sequence part, Keenan Milton rides backward into frame sporting a shirt with a giant Nike logo, some medium-baggy black denims, and black/white Adidas Superstars that are untied with the laces dangling out of the top eyelets. By all accounts, Keenan was an amazing person that was a treat to be around and brought lighthearted energy to every situation. You can imagine him combining the Nike shirt with the Adidas knowing it’d get a reaction, showing up to Lockwood, and bullshitting with his friends in between tries while filming this line. Leave a comment if you have any guess as to what type of watch he’s wearing. This is a legendary one. 

Any time the group of fine craftspeople at Skatelier argue about who the “best” skateboarder of the modern age is, Simon Isaksson’s name is thrown into the mix. His spot selection can be described by words like avant-garde, dangerous, and crusty, but he approaches every weird situation wearing garments with maxed out leisure attributes. Every photo in his recent Free interview is a masterpiece. Sometimes he looks like he just got done playing a round of golf, but for this bizarre double convex planter ride, he’s chosen a fleece ACG vest layered over some type of purple windbreaker, generously cut cords in a deep navy, and some GT Blazers. Sour Solution 3 can’t come soon enough.

Ethan Fowler progressed through a handful of well-defined phases in his career. This colorful outlier snuck in there somewhere near the end of the Tincan Folklore era before be got on the all-black mod hype and skated to The White Stripes. Love the bright tones and movement seen in the aloha shirt. The wash on the denim is that perfect “regular guy” middle ground. The Old Schools (the Skatelier team rejects Vans’ use of “Skool”) and mesh hat make sense here considering Ethan’s proximity to NorCal barnyism via his Stereo/Deluxe affiliation at this time. Upon viewing these pictures, one of our skilled artisans set aside their work, clicked through the 20 open tabs in their browser to find eBay search results for “USA Made Vans”, and hit the refresh button.

Bone-toned kit and a boned ollie. If someone tried to skate in a unique hat that represented the culture of every place they traveled to in the IG era it’d probably be on some wet boner shit, but Kenny Reed pulled it off. He was always humbly “throwing shapes” with something fun covering his head. An ecru cap and button-up mixed with the dusty grey chinos is accentuated by little glints of silver on the wrists. The pants represent the pavement while the top half matches the humble dwellings that could very well be found in like, 40 different zones around the globe. This won’t be the last time you see Kenny in a 5 ‘Fit Friday.

This Reda shot of Huf is pure power. His skating was distilled down to the essence — the basics done with intent and precision. DC Howards, baggy blue jeans, a white tee, and a little chain is a ‘fit with congruency to his whole approach. All substance, nothing unnecessary. 100% classic. Thanks, Keith. 

subscribed <3

doctorkickflip

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 12:50:53 PM »
Surprised there was no mention of the classic black dickies white shirt combo... Seeing a resurgence of that lately for instance in the "cheap perfume" video.

Junglist

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 01:46:39 PM »
This is fucking awesome. Thank you.
I can’t be the only one that started looking into foreign hats because of Kenny reed right? my lame ass could never pull that off without seeming like cultural appropriation

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 01:52:28 PM »
Subbed, this is fucking incredible. Thank you for this.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2020, 12:13:04 PM »
This is fucking awesome. Thank you.
I can’t be the only one that started looking into foreign hats because of Kenny reed right? my lame ass could never pull that off without seeming like cultural appropriation

Same with the Vision Street Wear beret. 

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2020, 01:35:55 PM »
I wear the same uni to work 5x a week then feel lame about having to wonder what to wear out for a skate. Reading this makes me feel way better. Great stuff, I’ll have my eyes fixed on the inbox!

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 02:34:48 PM »
subbed, good shit. fashion has a place in skating, this is a very very well done combination of two things i love.

toque

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2020, 09:42:45 PM »
Surprised there was no mention of the classic black dickies white shirt combo... Seeing a resurgence of that lately for instance in the "cheap perfume" video.

Yeah I should've included that. I was gonna try and tie it in with the greyscale part and just didn't get around to it. Fowler in A Visual Sound with brown Dickies white tee and the Florida Dirt (Renaud etc) Khaki Dickies white tee looks are also pretty rad.

Honestly real psyched on the feedback from posting stuff here, thanks again for checking it out.

Also, new one just went live.

https://skatelier.substack.com/p/who-are-the-sex-hippies

wheee!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2020, 08:45:50 PM »
@toque did you get an ID on Keenan's watch? Would be keen to hear what he was rocking...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1926
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 11:31:09 PM »
@toque - love the analysis on Kenny Reed's outfit, only he could have pulled off a look like that. He said in a Bunt interview that he would collect hats from his places of travel.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

toque

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »
@toque did you get an ID on Keenan's watch? Would be keen to hear what he was rocking...

Still no idea on the watch unfortunately...

@toque - love the analysis on Kenny Reed's outfit, only he could have pulled off a look like that. He said in a Bunt interview that he would collect hats from his places of travel.

Yeah and he seemed cool about it...just hyped to grab different hats to remember the places he went. Kenny is the best

wheee!