Author Topic: Safe Space for 7.5 - 7.75 deck rydaz  (Read 54518 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Safe Space for 7.5 - 7.75 deck rydaz
« Reply #510 on: November 11, 2021, 01:57:54 PM »
Does anyone know if Shane O'Neill still rides a 7.75?

My understanding is that he rides 8.125, on 147s….so about the same ratio as 7.75 on 5.0s (or whatever other truck in the 129/145/etc family). Deck is plus an 1/8” wider than the axle.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #511 on: November 12, 2021, 07:47:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nostalgia.
5.0 lo’s are dope, for sure, but I don’t think they are that much better than say, thunder 145s. The venture lo, and in particular, 5.0s, were THE truck of the era. I’d guess that indy 149s over the last 10 years would be the equivalent. I mean the greatest moment in skateboard history, unequivocally, Keenan’s switch flips over the table….5.0 lo’s.
And that’s all you need to know.
[close]
I'm younger(20) so I don't have the actual nostalgia, but I definitely wanted to skate them for this reason.
I tell people I like the pop though.
[close]

The term "quick pop response" I think is good to describe Venture Lows.

Also, as a HUGE added bonus with 5.0 lo’s, no one will be able to say that they are ‘surfy’. Which is absolutely disgusting. The amount of Gesmar Stan’s these days….

Cthulhu!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #512 on: November 13, 2021, 06:08:16 PM »
Missed out on this run of DOA flat boards. 7.5 and 7.75 sold out already. I feel ill.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #513 on: November 13, 2021, 06:45:50 PM »
Missed out on this run of DOA flat boards. 7.5 and 7.75 sold out already. I feel ill.

Fuck.

By no means trying to rub this in, how are the doa boards, in particular the smaller ones? I’d like to know, for next time.

I just went and skated on a g009 girl shape. Looking at it I wasn’t hyped, kinda bandaid/full ish (I like pointy boards), and a little steeper than what I think I prefer….only skated it a few times, so far, as good as it gets for me.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #514 on: November 13, 2021, 07:46:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nostalgia.
5.0 lo’s are dope, for sure, but I don’t think they are that much better than say, thunder 145s. The venture lo, and in particular, 5.0s, were THE truck of the era. I’d guess that indy 149s over the last 10 years would be the equivalent. I mean the greatest moment in skateboard history, unequivocally, Keenan’s switch flips over the table….5.0 lo’s.
And that’s all you need to know.
[close]
I'm younger(20) so I don't have the actual nostalgia, but I definitely wanted to skate them for this reason.
I tell people I like the pop though.
[close]

The term "quick pop response" I think is good to describe Venture Lows.
[close]

Also, as a HUGE added bonus with 5.0 lo’s, no one will be able to say that they are ‘surfy’. Which is absolutely disgusting. The amount of Gesmar Stan’s these days….

Agree with this

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #515 on: November 14, 2021, 12:58:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck.

By no means trying to rub this in, how are the doa boards, in particular the smaller ones? I’d like to know, for next time.

I just went and skated on a g009 girl shape. Looking at it I wasn’t hyped, kinda bandaid/full ish (I like pointy boards), and a little steeper than what I think I prefer….only skated it a few times, so far, as good as it gets for me.

The shape on the 7.5 is great. Nice and mellow. Pairs so well with venture 5.0 low

I'm just gonna say it though the wood isn't great. Soggy and flexy out the gate. Chipped real easy too

I feel bad saying that cos I love what their doing. Maybe I got a bad press.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #516 on: November 14, 2021, 07:29:26 PM »
Is there any wheel that would work for a 7.5 on 5.0 Lo's aside from a classic spitfire?  O.G. Classic perhaps?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #517 on: November 14, 2021, 09:00:13 PM »
Is there any wheel that would work for a 7.5 on 5.0 Lo's aside from a classic spitfire?  O.G. Classic perhaps?

Fillmore’s

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #518 on: November 22, 2021, 04:22:25 PM »
What companies still make skinny and pointy decks? Not a fan of big square noses and tails

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #519 on: November 22, 2021, 04:40:33 PM »
What companies still make skinny and pointy decks? Not a fan of big square noses and tails

Great fuckin question.
I had a few hi-teks, pointy, good.
I’d love a 7.75 version of the toy solider sheffey…
Skating a crail G009 and it’s pretty ‘full’, but I’m so hyped to not be skating some 8.25 bullshit that I can’t skate, that this is working for me.
Sticking with ventures so I like sub 14” wb.

How was that baker you had? Pointy or nah?
I should have gotten one of those jovontae reissues: Chiquita, or the 👀. Came out a few years ago. They were super pointy. More than 8”, but narrow at the trucks. I think prime made them.
Did prime make the world stuff back when?
I guess heroin has that one small egg. Might be your best bet.

Fhk

« Reply #520 on: November 22, 2021, 07:23:41 PM »
7.6 or 7.75?

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #521 on: November 23, 2021, 07:36:35 AM »
I'll skate 7.5, 7.6 or 7.75. Baker was pretty good except for bombing hills - I got speed wobbles that I don't get on my AH eagle 7.81. I thought that was interesting. It reminded me of a Birdhouse 7.5 my friend had like 20 years ago. Shape-wise (which I guess makes sense - OG shape)

I also should have gotten the Jovantae. Still bummed that I did not. I keep pondering that Lil Egg - probably will decide to pull the trigger on the day after they are all gone - ha.

Believe Prime did make those back in the day!

I WAS looking at the AWS 7.625 but that more-square-shape I saw kind of spawned this. Old AWS boards were perfect shaped. Also was pondering a Darkroom 7.75 - I THINK the shape is a little more pointy (Eh, I just mean less square really)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #522 on: November 23, 2021, 07:43:16 AM »
Alien and darkroom boards, look more square, in pics (haven’t held one in hand). They also have longer wbs, sometimes 14.25. The square shape, doesn’t bother me, if a board is less than 8”.
Keeping it all about me, did some of my best skating on  7.8 bakers with 139s.
Kinda hard to judge shapes these days, don’t go into shops very often. And when I do…well as delightful as it sounds to be the senior citizen picking thru egg cartons (boards) or even worse, having to ask for a 7.75…not hyped.

Fhk

« Reply #523 on: November 23, 2021, 08:44:57 AM »
I'll skate 7.5, 7.6 or 7.75. Baker was pretty good except for bombing hills - I got speed wobbles that I don't get on my AH eagle 7.81. I thought that was interesting. It reminded me of a Birdhouse 7.5 my friend had like 20 years ago. Shape-wise (which I guess makes sense - OG shape)

I also should have gotten the Jovantae. Still bummed that I did not. I keep pondering that Lil Egg - probably will decide to pull the trigger on the day after they are all gone - ha.

Believe Prime did make those back in the day!
I WAS looking at the AWS 7.625 but that more-square-shape I saw kind of spawned this. Old AWS boards were perfect shaped. Also was pondering a Darkroom 7.75 - I THINK the shape is a little more pointy (Eh, I just mean less square really)
I'm skating a Orchard (Popinnovations) 7.5 again here's a top picture. I love it.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:55:37 AM by Seventyfuhkinseven »

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #524 on: November 23, 2021, 09:39:29 AM »
That's a legit shape right there, sweet. I was up there 2 months ago - should have stopped by. I tend to hog a lot of our trips with things I want to see - then feel guilty so I back off the skate shops. Should have just done it

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #525 on: November 23, 2021, 09:46:38 AM »
I had a Traffic board that was very pointy in the tail. I didn’t like it for that but you may. They have a mystery $50 deck deal with a 7.5:

https://www.theoriesofatlantis.com/collections/hopps/products/mixed-brand-mystery-deck

Fhk

« Reply #526 on: November 23, 2021, 10:06:10 AM »
That's a legit shape right there, sweet. I was up there 2 months ago - should have stopped by. I tend to hog a lot of our trips with things I want to see - then feel guilty so I back off the skate shops. Should have just done it
I wonder if Robbie would sell direct? I doubt it but I have no idea how any of that works in the skateboard industry. I would be willing to purchase 5-10 at a time.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #527 on: November 23, 2021, 10:55:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I wonder if Robbie would sell direct? I doubt it but I have no idea how any of that works in the skateboard industry. I would be willing to purchase 5-10 at a time.

I want to try one of those boards, plus buying from an actual legend…pretty cool

Fhk

« Reply #528 on: November 23, 2021, 11:33:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I want to try one of those boards, plus buying from an actual legend…pretty cool
I sent him a message, I will let you know if/when I hear back

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #529 on: November 23, 2021, 06:10:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Skated last night on the g009. 5.0 lo’s. Old old 52 classics (probably 50 ish).
I pretty much only skate flatground. Slowly. If I was endowed with magical powers I’d choose to skate like Lavar in trilogy. Anyways.
Had a great time. Setup felt good, wasn’t fighting anything.
[close]

I watched Lavar's Trilogy part for some sub-8" inspiration at the park yesterday lol. Love those Jimmy Cliff songs.
Speaking of Trilogy, my sub-8 inspo is Gideon Choi's part.  He looks like he's having the time of his life flipping his board around.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #530 on: November 23, 2021, 07:35:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skated last night on the g009. 5.0 lo’s. Old old 52 classics (probably 50 ish).
I pretty much only skate flatground. Slowly. If I was endowed with magical powers I’d choose to skate like Lavar in trilogy. Anyways.
Had a great time. Setup felt good, wasn’t fighting anything.
[close]

I watched Lavar's Trilogy part for some sub-8" inspiration at the park yesterday lol. Love those Jimmy Cliff songs.
[close]
Speaking of Trilogy, my sub-8 inspo is Gideon Choi's part.  He looks like he's having the time of his life flipping his board around.

He looks pretty mellow tbh.
I love that song.
His three flips are bangers. His switch one was kinda the one to me.
I remember reading that Jamie Thomas said something along the lines of using Gideon Choi’s style in a derisive way…I dunno chief, looks pretty tight. Possibly some early Wenning/Yuto slouch?

Mouse was kinda the video of the time, but…I’ll admit I was more into trilogy.

Back to boards:

Anybody have wb and length details on the orchard board or any of those theories boards?
ISO 7.88 to 7.5, 14 wb max (preferably shorter), and 31.5 or less length.

Please and thanks.
Sorry for my ramblings

Fhk

« Reply #531 on: November 24, 2021, 05:23:54 AM »
https://capecodskateshop.com/product/cape-cod-skateboards-jolly-roger-pop-7-5-7-75-8-0-8-1-8-25-8-3-8-38-8-5-8-75/
He said he sells them to CapeCod Skate Shop too. Kinda cool because I grew up right near there. Visit family..go to a new shop, and pull a 7.5 off a wall? Perfect vacation.

GT

• Rep: -15
« Reply #532 on: December 03, 2021, 12:23:14 PM »
Am on girl 7.5 now and a fresh 5boro 7.75

I find now that I like steeper kick and flat concave,  mainly longer tails!
I find that I like to have the nose as tail got used to it from crail g027.

Question is , anybody know which 7.5-7.75 have longer tails?
Most are 6-6.25 where the noses are 6.5-6.75.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #533 on: December 06, 2021, 06:13:57 AM »
was getting tricks I haven't had in years on the tiny board

But I kept toe touching and stepping off. :) >:(

live by the 7.75 die by the 7.75
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #534 on: December 06, 2021, 08:24:47 AM »
Am on girl 7.5 now and a fresh 5boro 7.75

I find now that I like steeper kick and flat concave,  mainly longer tails!
I find that I like to have the nose as tail got used to it from crail g027.

Question is , anybody know which 7.5-7.75 have longer tails?
Most are 6-6.25 where the noses are 6.5-6.75.

is the zero 7.75 kind of what you're looking for? i wouldn't say it's a steep kick, but it kind of has the specs for a 'nose as tail'.
but here's what socal has for the zero bold 7.75
Nose: 6.75"
Tail: 6.5"
https://socalskateshop.com/Zero-Bold-Deck-775x3125.html
was the best example i could think of after reading your post

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #535 on: December 06, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »

When I was experimenting with 7.75s last year certain flip tricks came a lot easier, I even landed a few flip tricks that I hadn’t landed in almost a decade that came almost instantly when I first skated the 7.75, but there was always this urge that I was going to heel drag or toe drag at any second, just felt less stable being on one overall (I normally skated 8.5s). So it’s either skate a wider deck and put forth more effort in getting your flip tricks but have a lot more comfort and stability, or skate a skinnier deck and get flip tricks with more ease but have it feel less stable and comfortable when you land. After a while I jumped back to 8.5s; 7.75s were fun for a bit but I’d definitely rather put in a bit more energy and strength when flipping my board if it means getting that stability and comfort when I land like I was so used to. Definitely still got a couple 7.75s still laying around tho just in case I feel like experimenting again.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #536 on: December 06, 2021, 04:04:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
When I was experimenting with 7.75s last year certain flip tricks came a lot easier, I even landed a few flip tricks that I hadn’t landed in almost a decade that came almost instantly when I first skated the 7.75, but there was always this urge that I was going to heel drag or toe drag at any second, just felt less stable being on one overall (I normally skated 8.5s). So it’s either skate a wider deck and put forth more effort in getting your flip tricks but have a lot more comfort and stability, or skate a skinnier deck and get flip tricks with more ease but have it feel less stable and comfortable when you land. After a while I jumped back to 8.5s; 7.75s were fun for a bit but I’d definitely rather put in a bit more energy and strength when flipping my board if it means getting that stability and comfort when I land like I was so used to. Definitely still got a couple 7.75s still laying around tho just in case I feel like experimenting again.

Gtfoh

Jk

Sorta

Fhk

« Reply #537 on: December 06, 2021, 06:29:57 PM »
I drag my feet on so much shit that could be clean on a bigger setup. I try to stick it out but always end up sizing up. Vicious cycle.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #538 on: December 06, 2021, 06:53:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fhk

« Reply #539 on: December 06, 2021, 06:56:41 PM »
@okboomer dude you never miss