Author Topic: Safe Space for 7.5 - 7.75 deck rydaz  (Read 54098 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
Re: Safe Space for 7.75 deck rydaz
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2020, 06:16:37 AM »
I talked to Don Pendleton the other day, and apparantly the 7.75 deck I have is going to stay in the line-up for at least te next two seasons.

And there will be an additional 7.62 and another 7.75.

And does anyone know of any good blanks that have 7.75's?

All I can find on ebay are Chinese ones :'(

Sick. I had a shit ton of 7.5, 7.625 and 7.75 of AWS decks with his art. If memory serves, the AWS had a smaller tail and bigger nose. What's the Darkrooms like? I almost bought one recently, but the part where I REALLY don't need a new board held me back. I'm trying to not have too many decks in reserve because I never know how much time I'll get to skate, so I don't like making a board wait so long that I'm not even into it by the time it's their turn

Deekay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wanna hear more of this Cardiel on 7.5/Julien 7.75 talk.
[close]

Yeah, this one, it's true. Its all too old at this point for me to look up info, but I remember reading an article/interview with Cards (not in a buyers guide, I feel like it was a small zine, Concussion or something) talking about loving 7.5s and Indy 129s. I asked Jim if it was true and he said it was. All the pictures of cardiel in that era skating, you can tell the board is small and the trucks are loose. Just wild. Julien I think always rode his stock 7.75" boards. One of which, I broke my ankle on in 2001.

I mean, all of my knowledge of this dates back over 15 years, but it's accurate, just can't recall the exact sources.
[close]

I know when Ace started, Julien rode the 22 trucks (7.6" axle) so that makes sense. I think he usually rides stock boards cause some years later (maybe 07-08ish+) he always rode the 7.875 graphics, then around 2010-2011 and forward he only rode graphics with that short 8.12" shape and Ace 33's. The years are somewhat of a rough estimate, do what you want with that information.

I have some of those buyers guide mags, I could take some photos if there's any interest in specific riders or years. Most riders say another size than whats on their graphics so I feel like they're somewhat reliable...
[close]

Thanks! Both of you came thru. That’s tight.
Wild to think of Cardiel doing that shit on 7.5s....7.75/7.875 etc is a very functional, ‘normal’ size imo. 7.5s require dedication, they’ll work rad, but you gotta be on point and consistent with your setup. 22s!! Those things....never had any, but I had several sets of the first gen 33s and those were fairly wild, and 129s although a go to way back when, seem kinda nuts: just high, narrow, twitchy. That 8.12 shape Julien’s graphics used to be on was the shit.
Thanks for bringing the details on the actual legends. Love that shit

It feels like a pretty insane setup, but that was just what he was used to I guess. I believe this was around that same time he rode the 7.9 x 31.25 shape with Ace 22's, look how small the board looks with his feet sticking out like that. I think this graphic series (repo man) came out 2012 or so, so it seems like he switched later than I originally thought.

And yeah, that 8.12 shape was so good.. Crailtap had a shape with the same length and similar WB that I used to ride too, they were all short, stubby and agile.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 09:41:59 AM by Deekay »

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2020, 09:38:12 AM »

7.6, venture hi, 52s, swiss. There's no reason to ride anything over 8.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2020, 09:43:51 AM »
It feels like a pretty insane setup, but that was just what he was used to I guess. I believe this was around that same time he rode the 7.9 x 31.25 shape with Ace 22's, look how small the board looks with his feet sticking out like that. I think this is from 2012 or so.

And yeah, that 8.12 shape was so good.. Crailtap had a shape with the same length and similar WB that I used to ride too, they were all short, stubby and agile.

Haha dope. Last month I set up a 7.75 with some Ace 22s. Didn't like em that much, and set up a new board soon after.

But that photo is pretty sick. Just noticed the kid looking at him in awe haha

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »
Expand Quote
It feels like a pretty insane setup, but that was just what he was used to I guess. I believe this was around that same time he rode the 7.9 x 31.25 shape with Ace 22's, look how small the board looks with his feet sticking out like that. I think this is from 2012 or so.

[close]

Haha dope. Last month I set up a 7.75 with some Ace 22s. Didn't like em that much, and set up a new board soon after.

Julien is talking to him in the ad. Pretty rad. AH forevs.
ok thanks

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2020, 04:40:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[Julien fuckin Stranger]

[close]

What didn't you like with the 7.75 and 22's combo? I was thinking about doing that combo because of this thread... The best setup I ever had was a Roger 8" and Ace 33's, I was thinking about making a smaller version of that.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2020, 04:50:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[Julien fuckin Stranger]

[close]

[close]

What didn't you like with the 7.75 and 22's combo? I was thinking about doing that combo because of this thread... The best setup I ever had was a Roger 8" and Ace 33's, I was thinking about making a smaller version of that.

The turn was great, I even have tiptides still in them. Truly awesome turning really.

It’s just the pop, fucked with me so much. Not sure why though.

Had a few sessions and was just not feeling them at all. Something just personally felt of, went back to indys and was fine right away, threw on some new ventures and felt even better.

My friend had just gotten some ace 33s and was having a blast, so I tried em. Just wasn’t my cup of tea, I guess?

Still bummed that I couldn’t get down with them. Will try em out later again maybe. Could have just been a few bad sessions but something about them wasn’t for me it seemed.

Junglist

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2020, 04:56:43 PM »
Going to just throw out there my favourite set up had ace 33’s on it years ago, and the ace 33’s I’ve bought recently feel way different.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2020, 05:03:32 PM »

I set this back up in hopes of finding fs flips this coming weekend.
Hopps Jahmal 7.6
5.0 los
Swiss
50mm classics

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2020, 06:14:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[Julien fuckin Stranger]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The turn was great, I even have tiptides still in them. Truly awesome turning really.

It’s just the pop, fucked with me so much. Not sure why though.

Had a few sessions and was just not feeling them at all. Something just personally felt of, went back to indys and was fine right away, threw on some new ventures and felt even better.

My friend had just gotten some ace 33s and was having a blast, so I tried em. Just wasn’t my cup of tea, I guess?

Still bummed that I couldn’t get down with them. Will try em out later again maybe. Could have just been a few bad sessions but something about them wasn’t for me it seemed.

Aah shit, I hear you.. They're pretty different so not for everyone I guess. I might try the low ones (02's or 03's) if I set up a
 7.75... 53mm on a 7.75 seems like it would feel pretty tippy too, I always rode lows when I skated that size. Then again I was like 13, we'll see.

Going to just throw out there my favourite set up had ace 33’s on it years ago, and the ace 33’s I’ve bought recently feel way different.

Do you know why that is? I've had 33's and 44's and they felt so good, recently got a pair of 00 for my little cruiser but they feel wayyy off. I have stock bushings in them though and I heard they take some time to break in...

Junglist

« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2020, 07:13:59 PM »
I think they’re on stage 4 or so of ace geo, I think I had them on stage 2. But I could be wrong. I regret giving those trucks to a friend in need.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »

Hopps Jahmal 7.6
5.0 los
Swiss
50mm classics

sick setup. Hope those FS flips work out

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2020, 10:23:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

7.9 x 31.25 sounds real nice.
Thanks again for the knowledge behind the setup: looking at the ad/photo I’d guess 33s. I have a difficult time judging the width of trucks, in footage and photos, for someone that’s too obsessed with trucks (I’ve found myself mindlessly zoning out watching videos and looking up startled when it’s someone different in the frame, realizing I noticed first by the truck change).
I really liked ace, especially the first gen ones. I’ve had some setups where the pop was too good, and others shockingly bad, not sure why what is what. Meaning that I didnt register what the defining characteristic(s) of the setup were that led to the very different results. Most recently I had 44s on a 14” wb girl board with 56 mm wide wheels and got great pop (for me) on that. Anyways, maybe I’ll try their lows.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2020, 10:29:59 AM »
I had a few of those 7.9x31.25s in 2006 or 2007? Then I went to 7.75x31.75 (I think on length?) because that was Cardiel's  common size around 2008. Then a few more green eagles. So I think 2010 was when I started seeing 8" + everywhere and started panicking.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2020, 11:43:32 AM »
I had a few of those 7.9x31.25s in 2006 or 2007? Then I went to 7.75x31.75 (I think on length?) because that was Cardiel's  common size around 2008. Then a few more green eagles. So I think 2010 was when I started seeing 8" + everywhere and started panicking.

You were smarter than me: I tried to roll with the wave, tried all the weird shapes and corresponding big trucks and such, and some of that is fun. My first boards were fish tailed bones brigade era stuff, so those shapes made some sense. But. However. Skating flatground and trying to throw out a few flip tricks whilst talking shit, on big boards, not so much fun. If you look back, not too long ago, people were skating vert on 8.25-8.5” boards, using 149s. For vert. And maybe it’s calmed down a bit, but for a minute it seemed like every child was riding 159s, minimum, Crop dusting, worm burning every flip trick. Stop it. Talmbout the fit looks 90s. Nah. I see your Mecca jeans, those 90s were 7.5s son (but really 7.75 because 7.5 requires a high level of dedication).
Now that nonsense is out in the open....please all carry on. Fave topic is small boards. I know many extol the virtues of wider trucks and such, but a narrow truck has a much tighter/quicker turning arc. And that is fun.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2020, 12:15:10 PM »
Expand Quote

Hopps Jahmal 7.6
5.0 los
Swiss
50mm classics
[close]

sick setup. Hope those FS flips work out
Thank you man, I never really had them down so at 43 it should be a pretty fun battle  :)

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I haven't done one in about 10 years. I have to re-learn that one.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2020, 12:36:45 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I haven't done one in about 10 years. I have to re-learn that one.
Hell yeah man, get it while the gettings good!

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »
Are we talking OG or muska flips
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2020, 01:16:10 PM »
OG but muska flips would be fine too.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2020, 07:34:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

With Muska and Shorty's making a comeback I say go full Hardlfip Body Varial on them, the 2000s are back baby!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2020, 02:36:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

With Muska and Shorty's making a comeback I say go full Hardlfip Body Varial on them, the 2000s are back baby!
Ha! I wish if I remember correctly, mine will be more of a low flying 90 degree kf followed by a pivot. But if by mistake I catch one of those waste high Muska flips, I promise you I will report back.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2020, 04:30:44 AM »
Expand Quote
I talked to Don Pendleton the other day, and apparantly the 7.75 deck I have is going to stay in the line-up for at least te next two seasons.

[close]

Not sure how you feel about Jereme Rogers but TGM has some 7.75 on clearance.

Gota link for those? Thank you in advance

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2020, 04:33:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Found em, may have to paint over the graphic though Haha

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2020, 07:19:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I saw those haha.

"Say what you want about J-Casanova but make no mistake, these boards are legit. 100% Canadian made with 7 Plys of 100% Canadian Maple. Selfish skateboards are now out of print so this may be your last chance to pick one up"

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2020, 09:08:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I saw those haha.

"Say what you want about J-Casanova but make no mistake, these boards are legit. 100% Canadian made with 7 Plys of 100% Canadian Maple. Selfish skateboards are now out of print so this may be your last chance to pick one up"

I would never.
And I’m too old to try and honestly believe that this type of graphic is ok.
But.
Their childish humor was better than I thought it’d be.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2020, 11:19:38 AM »

ATM sells blanks in 7.75. Was gonna get one, 30 bucks ain’t a bad price, but I e-mailed em first just to double check on the wheelbase and length of their blank 7.75s before I snag one. Still waiting on a response. Had a graphic ATM 7.75 deck not that long ago actually and it felt pretty good, I think it was 31.5 with a 14 wheelbase which I liked, but I just gotta make sure their blank 7.75s didn’t have some sort of different extreme dimensions to them first before snagging it; would be bummed to get a 7.75 that’s 31 inches long with like a 14.5 wheelbase or something.

Read on here not long ago (forget which thread) that they get their boards made by bareback.
https://sopdistribution.com/collections/skate/products/atm-mini-wings?variant=36434294603933

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
ATM sells blanks in 7.75. Was gonna get one, 30 bucks ain’t a bad price, but I e-mailed em first just to double check on the wheelbase and length of their blank 7.75s before I snag one. Still waiting on a response. Had a graphic ATM 7.75 deck not that long ago actually and it felt pretty good, I think it was 31.5 with a 14 wheelbase which I liked, but I just gotta make sure their blank 7.75s didn’t have some sort of different extreme dimensions to them first before snagging it; would be bummed to get a 7.75 that’s 31 inches long with like a 14.5 wheelbase or something.

Read on here not long ago (forget which thread) that they get their boards made by bareback.
https://sopdistribution.com/collections/skate/products/atm-mini-wings?variant=36434294603933

I just ordered a 7.5 prime blank from so cal. There’s a few left, and also one 7.75 here. Which says:

Width: 7.75"
Length: 31.5"
Wheelbase: 13.75"
Nose: 7"
Tail: 6.625"

https://socalskateshop.com/Prime-Wood-LA-U5-Blank-P18-Skateboard-Deck-Yellow-Stain-775x315.html#!?cc_decks=107300&c=cc_grip-tape

Width: 7.5"
Length: 31"
Wheelbase: 13.875"
Nose: 6.5"
Tail: 6.25"

https://socalskateshop.com/Prime-Wood-LA-U5-Blank-P18-Skateboard-Deck-Yellow-Stain-75x31.html#!?cc_decks=107130&c=cc_grip-tape

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2020, 09:01:09 AM »
My only struggle with 7.75 boards is truck size. I go back n forth between 5.0s and 8”.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2020, 09:00:15 AM »

7.6 x 31.75 x 13.8 wb
Tactics says a different wb and length (14 and 31.25) but 3 other websites claim 13.8 and 31.75
$39
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 04:46:44 PM by Seventyfrigginseven »