Author Topic: Safe Space for 7.5 - 7.75 deck rydaz  (Read 53464 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
Safe Space for 7.5 - 7.75 deck rydaz
« on: September 24, 2020, 07:36:49 AM »
I know the world has been upside down for the last 10 years... boards all 8" + *shakes in terror*. Even seems like some people on here compete to have the biggest decks. Seeing guys brag about their "8.75 decks". GrOsS. I tried to like the 8s, I really tried. I gather that the most popular size is 8.25? Tried it, hated it. Back to ye olde trusty Anti Hero green eagle 7.81". Perfection. I skated 8.12 two days ago and it felt horrible, last night got my 7.81 on and it was like a dream. It's annoying because most brands I like don't even put out a 7.75 anymore, wack! 7.5-7.88 is the best.

#make775greatagain

smaller deck FAQ:
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 165 lbs. (usually, shh, i'm working on it)
Shoe size: 8

*hypocrisy on my part: I will ride wider boards if they are egg/ football shape, but in my defense, 1992 was my favorite era and I'll put 44mm boardycakes on that. I consider those my nostalgia cruisers. AKA underground parking lot curb skating. This is if I'm watching old Plan B vids. But for regular every day skating, 7.75 is the jam
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 06:54:02 PM by ok boomer »

doctorkickflip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 44
Re: Safe Space for 7.75 deck rydaz
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 07:39:18 AM »
Came here to talk shit and be mean but now I see I'm the first one here other than the poster and feel bad. I will now change my tune and say "to each his own" and also "there is enough room for boards of all sizes (not longboards)", godspeed skinny board rider.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 07:42:38 AM »
I'm with you.

5boro, Polar, Evisen, DOA, Toy, Sour, Alien, Baker.

All my regular boards are 7.5 - 7.875.

All those brands usually have a 7.75, or a 7.875 always available.

Those are just some brands I know, that If all else fails, will for sure have something in my preferred size range.

Plus I actually like all of those brands and teams.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:53:39 AM by os89 »

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 08:01:54 AM »
Did not know Polar did the 7.75, will peep that. I ponder that Toy Machine Devil Cat 7.625 from time to time. During my "prime" 7.63 was generally the size I rode. Missed a Traffic 7.63 a few months ago and am still pissed off about it.

Also found it strange that late 90s was: skinny board, baggy pants, big shoes
Then late 00s was: wide board, skinny pants, thin shoes

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 08:12:41 AM »
Did not know Polar did the 7.75, will peep that. I ponder that Toy Machine Devil Cat 7.625 from time to time. During my "prime" 7.63 was generally the size I rode. Missed a Traffic 7.63 a few months ago and am still pissed off about it.

Also found it strange that late 90s was: skinny board, baggy pants, big shoes
Then late 00s was: wide board, skinny pants, thin shoes

Well most of those Polars are 7.875s, but basically the same shit.

I've not skated a Traffic, but I did have a 7.625 Devil Cat a year or two ago. It was very nice. Toys are pretty flat though, some do not like em.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 08:14:15 AM »
I have a 7.75 and an 8.5 set up but my main is the 7.75 but If I switch over, it takes 1 session to feel used to the extra weight of the bigger set up.
I only started riding 775 again in 2019 after mostly riding 8.5-9 for a couple years and before that the last 775 I had was in 2011.
I ride 775 Mini Logo decks. When I first switched back I thought I might have an issue with breaking them but luckily I do not.
I still like to have 54mm wheels on both my set ups. Both with risers and loose trucks.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 08:24:25 AM »
7.25-7.5 are the only decks I can tre, so that's all I skate. People at the parks always amazed I can skate on such a toothpick

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 08:38:04 AM »
Are you guys on the skinnier side? Do you guys never skate anything with impact (3 stairs or ledges with up to knee high drops)? Do you guys skate transition? I only as because I'm never able to not snap a sub 8.25 deck within a week when I tried to size down. 8.25 is my minimum and I can only imagine the squirrely mess a sub 8 deck would be. Sucks cause I do like the look of a smaller board.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 08:42:56 AM »
I'm usually skinny but with my leg injury I definitely gained some lbs. this year. Trying to get those off currently. I skated these boards on everything from 1996-2013, then been pretty low impact since. My assumption is that I've used these sizes so much I can not adjust to bigger. Also my shoes are size 8, so I've wondered if this has something to do with it also. I definitely rode a lot of mini ramps on 7.63-7.75 from 01-08 and skated bowls/p arks from 08-13 on a 7.75. But yeah since then, I haven't skated a park / bowl/ mini at all. All low impact, also I am 44 if that info helps ha

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 08:48:06 AM »
Are you guys on the skinnier side? Do you guys never skate anything with impact (3 stairs or ledges with up to knee high drops)? Do you guys skate transition? I only as because I'm never able to not snap a sub 8.25 deck within a week when I tried to size down. 8.25 is my minimum and I can only imagine the squirrely mess a sub 8 deck would be. Sucks cause I do like the look of a smaller board.

Skinny, low impact, no real transition, smaller shoe size, and yea I just have always skated them. Feels good.

Don't get me wrong, I have other bigger boards too for slappies and cruising and shit. Have a blast on those things.

One board size is really never enough.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 08:50:26 AM »
height
weight
shoe size
rest of post

this would be a good starting format. faq for people riding skinny decks
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 09:05:25 AM »
Started skating 7.75 decks again recently; been on 8.5s for the past like nine years; just recently I started thinking to myself “dude, you’ve pretty much only been skating flatland and maybe the occasional manual pad here n there for the past couple years now; no gaps or stairs, no rails or crazy transition... what are you doing with a 8.5 still?” That plus me being super hyped on Photosynthesis and Yeah Right recently (where everyone was pretty much skating 7.5-7.75) inspired me to jump back on 7.75s. First couple sessions it felt way thin but now after a few sessions it feels pretty normal to me now, to the point where when I get back on my 8.5 it feels humongous. Also, the first sesh on the 7.75 I automatically got like three tricks back that I haven’t done in years, two of them first try, certain tricks still feel kinda weird but I’m sure those will come with time. Gonna probably transition to 7.75 for good pretty soon, got a few 8.5 bakers still in the shrink wrap on back up but I’ll probably just end up throwing those in the events/classifieds section. Got a few friends who are on wide boards who have been clowning me for my decision but I feel like a skinny board resurgence is coming pretty soon and it’ll be nice to be ahead of the curve when it fully comes back lol.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 09:08:37 AM »
height
weight
shoe size
rest of post

Good call, added my own small deck FAQ in original post

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 09:12:53 AM »
Expand Quote
height
weight
shoe size
rest of post

[close]

Good call, added my own small deck FAQ in original post

Fuck me. Alright, here we go haha.

Height: 5’6”
Weight: 110/115 lbs?
Shoes: 6-7

So yea, that’s why I stick with small boards usually. I’m a shrimp.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 09:13:03 AM »
 Thanks for starting this. I toyed with the idea of starting the small boards <8 (I wanna hear small Boiz talk about their small toys) thread and was, ah...yeah.

7.75 is the best size.

Skateboards are fun in general and I’ve absolutely had enjoyable times riding big set ups, but for me I don’t see the point. I’ve never been a board breaker, bigger boards do help with that. I’m 5’9”, 180 (too big to skate, or the weight plus the age is wack), size 10, 40+. Smaller set ups just work for me, I’m not fighting them, and they don’t beat up my joints as much.
Aesthetically....some people make the too big board thing look ok, most look even more like little kids. I’m glad skateboarding is not furthest, highest, longest, bestest, truly, because then it’s just figure skating, but seeing people seemingly try to land tricks all shitty, rocket, sloppy, on they big ass boards....weird. Smaller boards would help a lot of these frail folks get they shit up.
I used to obsess over 7.5” and less boards. The Kalis, Wenning, and some Menace boards, but I’ve never skated my best on super small boards* (* had one 7.5” set up and had an exceptional day, way back when, but it was just once).
775 can fuck with me in what size trucks to use, I’ve had good experiences with both 5.0s/139s. Lately I’ve been keeping it smaller on the trucks, they turn quicker, and the majority of my skating is flat and cruising. Unfortunately not a lot of ledges near.
OG companies keep a sub 8 in the catalogue, as they should. Shop decks are fine for me. The green eagle, as noted, is a good choice, the girl 7.876435 worked well for me, the jovontae re-issue was really nice but a little too small. Always like hearing what people are putting together on this end of the spectrum

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 09:19:16 AM »
Also, was gonna throw this in the events/classifieds but figured I throw this in here first, got this 5boro 7.75 recently and one light sesh was enough for me to know that I don’t dig it. Felt way too steep to me, thought I wouldn’t mind it but I do. I got this for like 60$ but if anyone is interested in trying a 7.75 I’m selling it for 35$ (plus like 7$ for shipping, maybe more depending on your location and how far you are, but unless you live all the way across the world I feel like 7$ should cover it). Deck is pictured below (minus the trucks) obviously. Only did a light flatland sesh so it’s still pretty much brand new. Can provide more pics if needed; message me if you’re interested.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
yeah... if otherness would combine the width of the atchley deck (7.81") with the wheelbase and length of the shannon deck (13.75" and 31") that'd be great

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 09:55:12 AM »
Even though I wore a size 12 when I started skating (weirdly a size 11 now), I was a holdout and skated sub-8" decks until like 2012. I wasn't skating much between then and 2016, so when I went to buy a board and couldn't find 7.75" boards I was super bummed. But it worked out for the best (I'm 6'3") and though I have tried to go back a couple times it just isn't enjoyable for me to try and skate something that small. But kudos to everyone keeping the dream alive, and I love seeing people's sub-8" setups.

Also, I have a green 7.81" eagle (in the shrink still) for $40 shipped in the USA (also a brown 8.06"). I posted about it in classified a while back but if anyone is interested PM me.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 10:03:08 AM »
yeah... if otherness would combine the width of the atchley deck (7.81") with the wheelbase and length of the shannon deck (13.75" and 31") that'd be great

I wondered if this was the same board as the AH green eagle. But by the time I DM'ed Otherness like a man, they were sold out >:(

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 10:08:54 AM »
Even though I wore a size 12 when I started skating (weirdly a size 11 now), I was a holdout and skated sub-8" decks until like 2012. I wasn't skating much between then and 2016, so when I went to buy a board and couldn't find 7.75" boards I was super bummed. But it worked out for the best (I'm 6'3") and though I have tried to go back a couple times it just isn't enjoyable for me to try and skate something that small. But kudos to everyone keeping the dream alive, and I love seeing people's sub-8" setups.

Also, I have a green 7.81" eagle (in the shrink still) for $40 shipped in the USA (also a brown 8.06"). I posted about it in classified a while back but if anyone is interested PM me.

I saw that and thought about it while skating last night …. if my wife hadn't just busted me buying a bunch of skate gear recently (that I "forgot" to mention ;) ) I was going to try to hook that up. I still might, haa

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 10:09:07 AM »
Also, I forget who , I THINK it was in one of the Transworld buyers guides?, said something about preferring bigger boards so that the board controls you VS smaller boards: where you control it more. And I know I thought "I prefer the control my mans".

As OK mentioned, aesthetically, some can make the big boards look good. I know I watch old Carroll footage and think "smaller looks better". Also I find it extremely strange that such a small amount of size can change so much. It's baffled me for decades. When I was switching around from 7.5, 7.63, 7.75 and 7.88 , I distinctly remember thinking:
"7.63 is good but 7.88 is HUGE"... which is hilarious in hindsight. But between 7.75 and 8, feels like a yard's difference to me.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 10:48:14 AM »
Way back when one of the group skated 7.88s, and those did look sorta big, which is definitely funny/weird that I thought it was a deal. Another guy skated 8s and we thought that was a little too hesh. We still hung out with him (still do) but we chalked it up to him being in a punk band and ...you get it. We would all kickflip his board, marvel at the barge like proportions, and chuckle. There was one dude who moved from ‘the scene’ to our small town, and he’d skate big big boards, like over 8”, in the middle to late 90s. Unlike EVERY other person on a board that big he could do all the flip tricks, cab double flips and shit, switch tres, all of em. We correctly viewed him as an otherworldly alien and not to be followed. RIP that guy he was good at everything. Somewhere in the very early 2000s I got an 8” orange eagle (at least that is the memory) and 139s, 54 ish wheels. Pretty much only skate it drunk, and it worked really well. Just flail everything as hard as possible.

Whew. Lots of back in the day horseshit in there.

Sub 8” boards on 5.0s work best for me. I’ve had some good experiences with 147s, 5.2 lo’s, and 139s as well I guess.
As some posters have mentioned, correctly, in other threads: 8.125 is an 8, 8.38 is an 8.5* (*dependent on manufacturer). 7.63 is a 7.5, 7.75-7.88 is 7.75. Don’t worry about it. 

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2020, 12:34:36 PM »

The last board under 8” I skated was this Real guest artist deck Fos did in 2007. I had been skating 8” boards regularly for a little bit at that point, but had 3 of these in a row. That was an amazing summer. It was either a 7.81 or a 7.9. I’m sort of tempted to try a 7.81 just to see what it’s like, but the lengths are all too short. Ideally someone would make a 7.88x32 and I’d give it a shot-I want to say EXP1 had that as a regular size in their lineup
fuck you bama

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2020, 12:41:08 PM »
Me and Cliff both ride under 8's (he's 7.75 and I'm 7.875). 
5'11"
Size 11.5 shoe
So basically if I don't land perfect...full toe drag.  But I have tried to move up in size, I just can't flip my board at all if I go past 8 so I keep things nice and narrow to keep a hold of what's left of my flatground.  I know for a fact that curbs and all that would be easier if I had a wider board, but the wheelbase is what really fucks me up.  If you go up to 8 and above is where they extend the wheelbase and once that happens, my tail doesn't touch the ground on flip tricks.  So I'm destined to a life of 7.875 forever.  Luckily I have a homie who runs the wood production for Dwindle and he gets me Daewon's old molds from back in the day.  They're flat as fuck which makes my whole setup feel like it's 1994 all over again. 
I also only ride Indy Low 139's, which have been out of production since like 2005.  When I find a set it's like I found the Holy Grail or some shit. 

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2020, 12:50:28 PM »
height
weight
shoe size
rest of post

5’9 (with shoes)
205lbs
11US
8” trucks on my 775
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2020, 01:04:52 PM »
5'11"
Size 11.5 shoe
So basically if I don't land perfect...full toe drag.  But I have tried to move up in size, I just can't flip my board at all if I go past 8 so I keep things nice and narrow to keep a hold of what's left of my flatground.  I know for a fact that curbs and all that would be easier if I had a wider board, but the wheelbase is what really fucks me up.  If you go up to 8 and above is where they extend the wheelbase and once that happens, my tail doesn't touch the ground on flip tricks.  So I'm destined to a life of 7.875 forever.  Luckily I have a homie who runs the wood production for Dwindle and he gets me Daewon's old molds from back in the day.  They're flat as fuck which makes my whole setup feel like it's 1994 all over again. 
I also only ride Indy Low 139's, which have been out of production since like 2005.  When I find a set it's like I found the Holy Grail or some shit.

Yesssssss. Also, I feel lame for never trying the Indy Lows. I fear change, so I've only ever ridden standard.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2020, 01:18:36 PM »
Thanks to @JB77 I am now the proud owner of some Venture 5.0 highs. Once this 7.75 green eagle AH comes in I’ll be good to go. Nervous about the shape, I haven’t ordered a deck since... 2001? (Green rising sun muska out of a CCS catalog lol.) I’m crazy about shapes but I guess 7.75ers have less to choose from these days.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2020, 01:24:36 PM »
I wish shipping wasn't so expensive, I have a few 7.75 and 7.6 that should go to a good home.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2020, 01:37:14 PM »
5'11"
Size 11.5 shoe

Daewon deck sounds too rad.
I haven’t had either of the indy lows, or the ace lows, which is kinda weird cuz I like low trucks. I wonder how close the ace low would be to the Indy low? With the regular ace trucks I get less pop, which is already an issue with low trucks, and greatly exacerbated by my old age, dustiness, and out of shape ass, so maybe not a good option.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2020, 02:51:55 PM »
Just recently set up a 7.75 as a second setup and honestly didn’t find it to be as difficult to adjust to as I thought it would be.  However, it didn’t really flip significantly easier compared to my normal setup.  I grew up skating only 7.75’s and gradually migrated up to 8.3ish, which I realized is probably too big for me.

I’ve since dropped it back down and am now a 8.12-8.25 guy.  Especially like the 8.12’s currently since they seem to hit a sweet spot of flippability while still having enough real estate to feel comfortable on ledge shit.

And to be completely honest, I’m sure I could get used to skating ledges with a 7.75 in a week or two if I really wanted to.

I can’t imagine anyone gives a shit about anything I just wrote but it felt nice to type out.  Shalom.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.