Author Topic: Safe Space for 7.5 - 7.75 deck rydaz  (Read 54836 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Safe Space for 7.5 - 7.75 deck rydaz
« Reply #990 on: January 27, 2024, 07:53:55 AM »
I bought this one a while ago but I've been awfully busy unfortunately. Finally I've been able to skate it a few times.

Girl lists it as 7.5" x 31" wb: 14"
but it's a PS board so really all the numbers are a hair shorter. I'll call it a 7.4 and change.
older Venture 5.0 lows with a flat top washer
Darkroom 50mm :o these were the smallest wheels I had, they're ok
Jessup, Super Reds and random hardware

The first couple of sessions were jarring. I think I missed I don't know, 50 kickflips in a row which caused a mild panic. What if I am becoming OLD and lost the ability to kickflip? But eventually they came back! Prior to this I was skating the steepest Baker board I've ever seen. The comical flatness on this board felt like going down to the other extreme.

I'm alright with the lowness of the Ventures, the compact wb and length is fine too. It flips awfully quick of course. Great for 360 flips, a little funny for straight flip tricks. While the width, or lack of it, didn't take too long to get used to, A 7.75 still feels more reasonable I think.

HOWEVER

Every once in a while I'll skate a PS board, and then I remember why I don't skate them very often. It crossed my mind to leave the board at the park after the third session. That old feeling creeps in so quickly. And this is why I'm not liking it. I thought it was the concave/dimensions at first, but it's the soggy-ness. It shouldn't feel like a wet tissue so early on. This is not an enjoyable. I recently skated a Prime board that held it's stiffness better than this. I'm glad I bought one of these for old times' sake, but I'm also glad I only grabbed one of them.

the write up is sick!

i’ve got one of these, haven’t set it up. have a 4ish years old tae re-issue setup very similarly. it’s very small. totally agree a 7.75 would be more fun.

totally disagree on the ps stix: i like that they are whippy/flexy. i get good to great pop out of ps boards, better than bbs. the ps boards don’t last as long, but i don’t break boards so it’s cool by me.
all of that being said, the ps is an acquired taste.
i wish prime would pump out some 1995-99 era world decks. those were the shit. and i broke them all of the time and loved it.

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #991 on: January 27, 2024, 12:59:02 PM »
Set up a 7.5 blem deck from CCS for my 5 year old son to learn on with some of ancient Silvers from their original run when we were all trying them out... Now much maligned. But they work great for this purpose.

Of course I gave it a short session on my own.. You know, just to make sure it's working for him. With that 14" wheel base and my old low trucks, it's super responsive. Varial-flips had that awesome feeling where it's like it sucks right up to my feet. I was catching my kickflips way higher than on my own 8" setup. Definitely fun to ride and reminded me of the old days. I also found some old Thunder 145s in the basement that I might have to snag a 7.75 blem blank just for flatground around the neighborhood... For $20, I don't know of a better deal for a blank.

EDIT: Those Silver's just snapped right at the thing section above the Pivot cup on a kickflip in the basement... Hence the hatred and disdain I have read about. Replaced with the Thunder 145s!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 03:27:35 PM by RT »

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #992 on: January 31, 2024, 08:22:29 AM »

Home-press 7.25" x 32"
6.8" Tracker Trucks
Wooden risers
54mm 97 duro F4s
Hollow ace hardware
jessup
minilogo bearings
italian leather slippers

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #993 on: January 31, 2024, 09:45:29 AM »

Home-press 7.25" x 32"
6.8" Tracker Trucks
Wooden risers
54mm 97 duro F4s
Hollow ace hardware
jessup
minilogo bearings
italian leather slippers

oh fuck no!
get this abomination into the polarizer thread or some shit.
7.25 would be inbounds if it was on some andy stone cosplay type thing, but this….this is the work of a true sicko.

looks fun.
but hell no.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #994 on: January 31, 2024, 12:31:07 PM »

Home-press 7.25" x 32"
6.8" Tracker Trucks
Wooden risers
54mm 97 duro F4s
Hollow ace hardware
jessup
minilogo bearings
italian leather slippers

that thing is a mid 90s Philly skater's wet dream

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #995 on: April 15, 2024, 05:40:53 PM »

Baker 7.5x31.25
Pepper griptape
bronze allen
Thunder 145
Spitfire worn approx 45mm
Bones big balls

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
« Reply #996 on: April 15, 2024, 07:51:53 PM »
Skated Lynch in Boston a couple weeks back, and it looked like most of the locals were riding sub 8” boards. Are smaller sizes seeing some sort of comeback?

I wasn’t quite sure the best place to ask this.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #997 on: April 15, 2024, 08:02:43 PM »
Skated Lynch in Boston a couple weeks back, and it looked like most of the locals were riding sub 8” boards. Are smaller sizes seeing some sort of comeback?

People have been questioning a small board comeback for about ten years now. It seems like it comes up in little pockets but at the same time there's less 8 inch boards available than there has been for years (8.25 seems like what people call small now) and wheels are now wide and most popular size is 54 which doesn't really seem like it's being done with 7.5s in mind.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #998 on: April 15, 2024, 09:17:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
People have been questioning a small board comeback for about ten years now. It seems like it comes up in little pockets but at the same time there's less 8 inch boards available than there has been for years (8.25 seems like what people call small now) and wheels are now wide and most popular size is 54 which doesn't really seem like it's being done with 7.5s in mind.

i was FOR SURE that small boards were going to comeback, 2017ish. they did not.
from time to time i’ll fire up a 7.75, skate as well as i can skate, get weirded out about how small it looks, put it back under the bed.
i had an episode of that, which also coincided with my life getting too wacky, even by my standards, and decided to panic buy THREE 7.5s. which now look insane.
i go thru a whole rigamarole, where i: note that my best years were in small boards. make a small setup, promptly kickflip it first try. freakout. start trying to skate said small board.
i lose gusto when i have to skate 50s. ground sucks where im at. so i need to use bigger wheels. narrow board on high trucks with big wheels?  then it starts looking really stupid.