Author Topic: Figuring Out Deck Dimensions  (Read 530 times)

ballintoohard

Figuring Out Deck Dimensions
« on: September 24, 2020, 11:33:30 AM »
So there are a shit ton of variables for a setup, but boiling it down to decks you have WB, width, length, nose/tail, and concave for the most part.

I have 2 setups that I've been riding lately:

1. DLX 8.25, 14.25 WB, 32 length, 6.625ish tail, 7 nose, Thunder Ti lite 148, 52 Classics.

2. Krooked 8.38 Twin Tail, Venture 5.6, Loophole teardrop 52mm. Has an overall 3/8" longer wheelbase.

Setup 1 is way easier for front 180s, lighter pop feel, no complies and 180s are easier, but somehow every flip trick is wayyyyy less consistent. Board feels almost heavy to flick for flip tricks, but it is overall much snappier and lighter. Crooks lock in easier. 

Setup 2 is way easier to flick and backside 180, manuals feel pretty good, frontside stuff feels worse. Seem to lock into all grinds better besides crooks, which might be because it doesn't have a nose and my timing is off. Feels a bit more stable

Both sets of trucks are stock, haven't touched the kingpint nuts as they both feel pretty good. From memory these have been my most preferred setups, with Quasi 8.25/8.38 a close second. I had a Polar with Aces I really liked that I felt had my best overall pop aside from that it was an 8.5 and super heavy to flick for any flip tricks.

It's hard to figure out what to go to next or what might be causing the differences.

twic3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Figuring Out Deck Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 02:11:33 PM »
Arent Ventures taller than Thunders? Seems like you may prefer having that extra leverage when you do flip tricks. Back when I skated the same thunder setup as you I would do ghost kickflips all the time but then i switched to 54mm wheels with indys and my flips became so much better.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 03:07:56 PM »
Hadn't thought of that- they're 3mm taller than my Thunders. Might be worth swapping em to the same deck to see if that's it.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 03:35:52 PM »
You just gotta skate a billion things to find what works best then repeatedly deviate from it in search of something EVEN BETTER

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 163
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 03:53:45 PM »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 07:25:36 AM »
have fun skating

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
You just gotta skate a billion things to find what works best then repeatedly deviate from it in search of something EVEN BETTER
!!!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

nevrwasben

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 03:39:25 PM »
Nobody even mentioned the fingers of flat measurement!!