Author Topic: Rip HUF  (Read 31356 times)

georgethecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
Re: Rip HUF
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2020, 06:00:31 AM »
RIP, dear Huf. He pushed hard on the board and in life. A huge loss for sure.  Much love to his wife and children.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2020, 06:25:08 AM »
Too many RIPs pinned here. And this isn't even all of them. 2020 has taken a hell of a toll on skateboarding (as well as other things, obviously).

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2020, 07:10:03 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFi5jG3lAVh/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Someone asked me about the movie "Elf" that I referenced, and of course Huf is friends with a big name director behind some blockbuster movies. It just makes sense. RIP.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0319343/trivia?item=tr4358804

"When Santa gives Michael his present, it's a "Real Huf" board. Real is the brand of skateboard and Huf, is the nickname for professional skateboarder, Keith Hufnagel. Director John Favreau is friends with Keith Hufnagel, and used to use him for stunts. This is why his skateboard is used."

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2020, 07:19:56 AM »
I’m guessing huf shoes won’t be coming back.
That’s the real tragedy.

Fuck you.

I'm glad he doesn't have to fight anymore, but damn it, I'm so incredibly bummed it ended this way. :(

Rest easy, Keith.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2020, 07:46:46 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFi5jG3lAVh/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Someone asked me about the movie "Elf" that I referenced, and of course Huf is friends with a big name director behind some blockbuster movies. It just makes sense. RIP.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0319343/trivia?item=tr4358804

"When Santa gives Michael his present, it's a "Real Huf" board. Real is the brand of skateboard and Huf, is the nickname for professional skateboarder, Keith Hufnagel. Director John Favreau is friends with Keith Hufnagel, and used to use him for stunts. This is why his skateboard is used."

That's funny because that was how I explained to my wife who Huf was. She loves that movie and totally got it after that.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2020, 08:27:56 AM »
immense loss, thanks Keith for being genuine when i've met you, thanks a ton for all you've done for skateboarding. This is dreadful. Thinking about his wife and young son Keenan.

RIP to a true Legend.

Huf, Dylan, and Keenan Forever

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2020, 08:55:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Damn sad. RIP.

Was it EE2 the line in the middle of the street with a big bs180 over a standing metal trash can?
[close]

You got it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFiOl0ZCQY-/

Rest in peace Huf.

thank you! That's the bs180 that pops into my head when I think of bs180's. Just perfect to me.

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »
R.I.P. HUF!

Was always a fan of his shoe designs! My favourite shoe of all time is the DVS HUF5 low(and mid).

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2020, 09:51:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I lost an old skate buddy from high school earlier this week.
[close]

I'm sorry for your loss.
Huf's skating was some of the first to show me that tricks aren't everything - my high school friends used to always want to skip his Skate More part, but I didn't. His technique is absolutely timeless - so many classic parts are very visibly of the time they were filmed - ledge dancing in the late 2000's for example. Aside from the gear, Keith's parts could come out tomorrow and still be respected. Maybe half cab noseslide to back tail backside bigspin was in vouge for 3 years there, but a strong ollie will always be more memorable. Not only that, but he's one of the few skaters to hold their own on both coasts without either coast's footagew seeming like (to borrow a quote from Quartersnacks) the 'summer trip to SF/NYC' vibe. He made both of those cities his.
The fact that not one person has a bad thing to say about him (even his ex-wife, if you watch his Epicly Later'd) says a lot about him.
RIP HUF.
[close]

Has anyone else from NYC, a relatively flat place, learned to skate SF's hills the way he did?
[close]

Pspliff was also from nyc

RIP to two gnarly New Yorkers.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2020, 09:59:16 AM »
Too many RIPs pinned here. And this isn't even all of them. 2020 has taken a hell of a toll on skateboarding (as well as other things, obviously).

I was thinking the same thing. Pulling up to this section of the forum and seeing all the pinned RIP posts. Man that’s depressing.

veritas

« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2020, 10:02:41 AM »

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2020, 10:02:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I lost an old skate buddy from high school earlier this week.
[close]

I'm sorry for your loss.
Huf's skating was some of the first to show me that tricks aren't everything - my high school friends used to always want to skip his Skate More part, but I didn't. His technique is absolutely timeless - so many classic parts are very visibly of the time they were filmed - ledge dancing in the late 2000's for example. Aside from the gear, Keith's parts could come out tomorrow and still be respected. Maybe half cab noseslide to back tail backside bigspin was in vouge for 3 years there, but a strong ollie will always be more memorable. Not only that, but he's one of the few skaters to hold their own on both coasts without either coast's footagew seeming like (to borrow a quote from Quartersnacks) the 'summer trip to SF/NYC' vibe. He made both of those cities his.
The fact that not one person has a bad thing to say about him (even his ex-wife, if you watch his Epicly Later'd) says a lot about him.
RIP HUF.
[close]

Has anyone else from NYC, a relatively flat place, learned to skate SF's hills the way he did?
[close]

Pspliff was also from nyc
[close]

RIP to two gnarly New Yorkers.

Plenty of NYers have destroyed SF hills. Aside from Huf and PSpliff, Gerwer comes to mind.

HUF FOREVER

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »
even on the main page of CNN right now, RIP and all the best to his family and friends

Mink

• Rep: 4
« Reply #223 on: September 25, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
I met Huf in 1995 or 96, when the REAL team came to my town for a demo.

I remember buying a board from him; everyone was skating toothpick 7.5s at the time, and the deck he sold me, the same model he was skating, seemed absolutely huge, but was probably an 8.25 (at most). I couldn't believe how much better I skated and how much more fun I had on that deck, it was a revelation. I could pop-and-catch kickflips seemingly effortlessly.

Anyway, even though I only spoke to him for a few minutes, I can still remember being impressed with how cool he was. Seemed mature beyond his years (he must have been 22 or so at the time).

Rest in power to a true legend. 

halfbad

• Rep: -3
« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2020, 11:52:10 AM »
He can skate with Dylan now. RIP Huf.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #225 on: September 25, 2020, 12:02:52 PM »
RIP. Legend.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 49
« Reply #226 on: September 25, 2020, 12:11:07 PM »
I know HUF was bigger than just skateboarding, but was still surprised to see him on the front page of CNN.com

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/25/us/keith-hufnagel-skateboarder-huf-worldwide-dead-spt-trnd/index.html

Such a bummer and loss for skateboarding.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #227 on: September 25, 2020, 12:14:28 PM »
This fucking year sucks. RIP

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #228 on: September 25, 2020, 12:17:21 PM »
I know HUF was bigger than just skateboarding, but was still surprised to see him on the front page of CNN.com

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/25/us/keith-hufnagel-skateboarder-huf-worldwide-dead-spt-trnd/index.html

Such a bummer and loss for skateboarding.

Very surprised to see that as well. I guess it just goes to show how big "HUF," the company became. Incredible.

V.I. Lenin

• Rep: -12
« Reply #229 on: September 25, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
Rest in peace legend<3

Skeeter

• Rep: 4
« Reply #230 on: September 25, 2020, 03:05:56 PM »
Damn... RIP. Just another reminder no matter how much money you have, health is everything.
We don't take kindly to scooter kids in these parts

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #231 on: September 25, 2020, 04:35:36 PM »
Left behind 2 kids. He's got an interview in the new Til' 93 book, if you need another reason to pick up a copy
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #232 on: September 25, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »
So tragic and shocking... fuck cancer

Rewatching his nine club and parts

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #233 on: September 25, 2020, 11:22:17 PM »

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #234 on: September 26, 2020, 12:15:15 AM »
Huf was a solid person.  I'm with Sleazy on this one... by that I mean I am watching his parts and honoring his legacy.  In an unrelated manner to sleazy, as a narcissist, of course I want to make this about myself. I remember seeing Rattatat open for Interpol in LA in the late 2000's or early 2010's (can't remember exactly) but they fucking ripped. I wanted to use the song Huf used but fortunately he used it instead of me.

The ultimate equalizer (death) of our fates should remain a constant reminder that we need to make the most of our time here with the people we are experiencing this life with.  His passing is a sobering reminder that the clock is ticking for each of us and that we should soak up this experience in 2020, even if 2020 is a veritable shitshow.

Keith is gone far too soon.  Don't spend too much time at the office.  Don't spend too much time worrying about the numbers you see in your bank account when you log into your bank account.  Rather, spend time hearing those sounds we find so therapeutic (urethane over cracks; that abnormally gratifying crunchy grind on a poorly waxed curb or coping). 

Fuck cancer
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #235 on: September 26, 2020, 12:45:04 AM »
Keith is gone far too soon.  Don't spend too much time at the office.  Don't spend too much time worrying about the numbers you see in your bank account when you log into your bank account.  Rather, spend time hearing those sounds we find so therapeutic (urethane over cracks; that abnormally gratifying crunchy grind on a poorly waxed curb or coping). 

Fuck cancer

Blasted a backside kickflip for Huf, snagged a cap too and I'm definitely putting it into rotation.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #236 on: September 26, 2020, 01:25:23 AM »
so devastatingly sad. his father passed from brain cancer as well. my love and immediate thoughts are with his wife, his kids, and his mother.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #237 on: September 26, 2020, 08:13:37 AM »
I wonder/hope Annie is going to keep the brand going in his honor??

"Dylan, Keenan, and Huf skating picnic tables in heaven"

"Sufferin jukebox such a sad machine"

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #238 on: September 26, 2020, 09:35:52 AM »
Ride the sky Keith...Joe Pease had this older montage up:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIG71MMgTNk/

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2020, 09:37:56 AM »