Author Topic: Glue Thrasher interview falsehoods  (Read 5809 times)

markjonhns

Glue Thrasher interview falsehoods
« on: September 27, 2020, 05:53:41 PM »
They state that a main concept or driving force behind their company is Marisa Dal Santo's story in the new Thrasher. They claim Jamie Thomas fucked her over and never made her pro. And the skate board industry did her wrong..... Not exactly how it happened.

Marisa is clearly on record saying Jamie offered her to be pro and she straight up turned it down. http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/12/05/happened-marisa-dal-santo/

skewed opinions all over the article. Not sure why talentless skateboarders are being given such platform. Apparently, talking shit, 'being unique' and skating super mediocre gets you full spreads and articles in Thrasher.

Sandygoat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -45
  • THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
Re: Glue Thrasher interview falsehoods
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 09:51:57 PM »
At the end its all a matter of perspective. One side could argue " Women aren't welcome in the industry so I must speak up for them !!!" and other side " Oh she turned it down so sftu and skate !!!". The facts of the matter is that all these people are beyond fortunate.  Cher was talking about how she quit skating because her ankle hurt and how she couldn't bear to look at a mag. Think about other skaters that have the same stuff as her but have risked a lot more than another flare up on their ankle ( spanky fucked his leg and then he just rode switch in his stay gold part). It seems very fortuitous to quit skating then come back with a vans ad and article on thrasher. You making to the top has shown that anybody can make it (if they suck enough corporate dick). Next time Cher goes to a vans company in china she should ask them how good the trans community is doing over there.  Rule of thumb DONT TALK ABOUT STATUS QUOS IF YOU ARE SPONSORED BY A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY. At the end of the day its hypocritical to make fun of " boring" white guys when the only difference is that you are a bunch of white folks that stray a little bit from what is " boring"

GinosGroceries

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 10:09:47 PM »
Can you post the article?

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 10:35:28 PM »
Can you post the article?

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/on-glue-article/

The section OP is talking about:

Todd Jordan: I remember Brian [Anderson] going through that process. I was touring with him and was kind of let in on that secret. And that’s when I realized how fucking homophobic skateboarding was, because he was having such a hard time. I remember thinking, Imagine however many fucking kids in middle America who are buying Girl skateboards are not gonna buy that one because of that fact about him.
Stephen Ostrowski: Going back to the idea of resources, I also think there’s full generations of people who really could have been amazing skateboarders and visible queer people who were essentially silenced or gave up. So many people feel like there’s no room for them, so they give up. I’m just such a stubborn bitch who’s not quitting. You’re not gonna make me quit.
Cher Strauberry: We think about Marisa a lot.
SO: Skating has failed Marisa Dal Santo.
CS: Marisa Dal Santo is the sickest skateboarder. That one part is just so insane. Hitting everything the boys are doing ten-fold. Shit that boys don’t do.
SO: Kickflip melon-ing an eight block.
CS: Crooked grind, fuckin’ tail grabs.
Leo Baker: Varial heel.
CS: Zero, Jamie Thomas totally failed her. She was working in the warehouse.
LB: And living in the warehouse at Black Box.
SO: She didn’t get turned pro ’til years later.
LB: She didn’t even get turned pro! It was a guest board.
SO: She should have gone pro immediately after that part. There’s this marginalization that says Marisa’s a woman, so she should be grateful she has any resources. But she took those resources and turned it into literal fucking gold. Then everyone was like, It’s not shiny enough.
CS: We think about that a lot. And we want to do it right.
SO: It sucks that Brian felt like there wasn’t space made for him to be comfortable to be like, I can just be me and kill it. He had to kill it and then times changed enough…

Nicki

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 11:00:40 PM »
They state that a main concept or driving force behind their company is Marisa Dal Santo's story in the new Thrasher. They claim Jamie Thomas fucked her over and never made her pro. And the skate board industry did her wrong..... Not exactly how it happened.

Marisa is clearly on record saying Jamie offered her to be pro and she straight up turned it down. http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/12/05/happened-marisa-dal-santo/

skewed opinions all over the article. Not sure why talentless skateboarders are being given such platform. Apparently, talking shit, 'being unique' and skating super mediocre gets you full spreads and articles in Thrasher.

Yeah, this artlicle and Marisa/Jamie has already been discussed and talked to death on Slap a month ago. You’ve missed the bus on this one. You obviously don’t buy the bible, newbie   ;D

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113011.30

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 11:30:28 PM »
Honestly dude, you're making a pretty weird agenda against this group of skaters. I haven't looked at the thread Nicki directed you to, but you seem to be the only one who really is upset over this. I saw the bitter ass words you posted in that other toxic thread about "sub cultures" of skateboarding

The perspective that Jaime did want to turn Marissa pro and she said no could be generalized. We've all heard stories of how Jamie is. Maybe he pushed her to the point of just being like, "fuck this" and she said no to his bullshit and did her own thing. What the Glue team saying is that's bullshit. If you watch her part in the Zero video she already proved herself but that wasn't enough for Thomas.

It's not that hard to understand dude. Get over it.
The chillest1

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 01:44:35 AM »
How can you have 3 posts and -9 rep

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 02:01:08 AM »

bruv, people sometimes get nuked hard repwise when they post really stupid shit, this is nothing.

in that case if it's important for you i'd advise to make a few funny photoshops and engage in some fred gall worship to cover up your tracks.

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 02:06:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

bruv, people sometimes get nuked hard repwise when they post really stupid shit, this is nothing.

in that case if it's important for you i'd advise to make a few funny photoshops and engage in some fred gall worship to cover up your tracks.

Nah mate it’s cool, considering I made this account when I was like 15 -9 rep is pretty fucking good, and I’m shite at photoshop

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 03:14:18 AM »
Glue fucks up again

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 06:07:01 AM »
All I can say is Marissa has been pro in my heart since I saw her "Strange World" part. She was/possibly still is...the gnarliest woman to ever step on a skateboard since Elissa Steamer.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 06:35:08 AM »

They're certainly not talentless. And they're being given a platform because they're LGBTQ+ skaters who've built up enough of a following on their own while having to deal with transphobia and homophobia. It's pretty impressive what they've done, and there's a lot of other LGBTQ+ skateboarders out there who will read this article and see that a place in skateboarding is being carved out for them. It's a dope thing.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 06:39:07 AM »
Yeah you kinda sound like you're just bitter that you can't get sponsored or something because you don't understand how sponsorship works.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 07:00:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They're certainly not talentless. And they're being given a platform because they're LGBTQ+ skaters who've built up enough of a following on their own while having to deal with transphobia and homophobia. It's pretty impressive what they've done, and there's a lot of other LGBTQ+ skateboarders out there who will read this article and see that a place in skateboarding is being carved out for them. It's a dope thing.

Exactly.  Except @markjonhns is threatened by this and once typed into Google "How is it that the Bones Brigade can find Animal Chin and I can't find the clitoris?"

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 07:04:31 AM »
damn homie, shut the fuck up lmao

Brguy

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 07:45:02 AM »
( spanky fucked his leg and then he just rode switch in his stay gold part)
That was Jerry.

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 07:57:49 AM »
All I can say is Marissa has been pro in my heart since I saw her "Strange World" part. She was/possibly still is...the gnarliest woman to ever step on a skateboard since Elissa Steamer.

I agree with this.
Also, Glue should to a tribute board for her. If she doesn't want it, don't even put her name on it but make it obvious that it's a tribute to her and what they believe she deserved. Take $2 for every board sold and send her the check. If she turns it down, donate it to some type of charity in her honor. That's what I'd do at least.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 07:59:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That was Jerry.
Sounds like he's got a great grasp on the material he's criticizing.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2020, 09:03:46 AM »
I think the Marissa story is way more complicated then anyone is making on here, some of the homies here know her, I think it was a combination of her just realizing that she wasn't into the industry side of things, know she wasn't gonna make any money being on Zero, and just being over it altogether. I assume Jamie was going to put her on the royalty only program which he explained in his Thrasher interview which means she would probably make $200-300 a month being a pro. In that interview if no one remembers, this was when Black Box was still big, he said they pay their top 5 pros on Zero a salary, Chris Cole, Tommy, idk who the others would be, then everyone else got board royalties, which is kinda up to them to make that work, I know he referenced Ben Gilley selling a lot of boards in Alabama and that being an ok check.

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 09:53:21 AM »
This is a Marisa Jamie conversation and she already explained it. Plenty of skaters male and female quickly realize unless you are at the top of the pyramid you aren't going to make much so might be time to move on. Plus Marissa isn't the first skater to realize they aren't going to be down for the Chief's program and step down. To out right call him out years on down the line when you have no connection or inside understanding of what happened doesn't make much sense. Especially when he was one of the first people in the industry to really support a female skater, Elissa.

Double Thick Filbert

• Rep: -56
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2020, 10:25:07 AM »
I predict a male to female trans skater will start winning/dominating every female contest pretty soon

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2020, 10:33:49 AM »
It’s 2020, but it’s still impossible to look cool in a sweater vest.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2020, 10:56:38 AM »
It’s hilarious to me that people still think they can have a career in riding a skateboard in 2020. Whatever you identify as, get a fucking job.

Sandygoat

• Rep: -45
  • THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2020, 09:00:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That was Jerry.
Are you sure? Im pretty sure it was spanky in an episode of the love letters but I wont die on this hill. It was an example but the argument I made seems pretty reasonable. In any industry to make such a rebound is unheard of. Imagine if lebron decided to not go into the league right after high school and took a year off? It seems very spoiled to make it to the top and then complain about " boring white dudes". Cher has only released one part and has landed a gucci sponsor. Other than Lucien Clarke who else had landed a fashion sponsorship? Does offwhite count? ( its more of a streetwear brand but so is supreme). The industry will not give a fuck about trans skaters in ten years. Once people stop caring about the subject I doubt they will still be getting gucci ads.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2020, 09:07:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
That was Jerry.
[close]
Are you sure? Im pretty sure it was spanky in an episode of the love letters but I wont die on this hill. It was an example but the argument I made seems pretty reasonable. In any industry to make such a rebound is unheard of. Imagine if lebron decided to not go into the league right after high school and took a year off? It seems very spoiled to make it to the top and then complain about " boring white dudes". Cher has only released one part and has landed a gucci sponsor. Other than Lucien Clarke who else had landed a fashion sponsorship? Does offwhite count? ( its more of a streetwear brand but so is supreme). The industry will not give a fuck about trans skaters in ten years. Once people stop caring about the subject I doubt they will still be getting gucci ads.

It was Jerry.

kid casserole

• Rep: 6
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2020, 10:14:40 PM »
So when Jamie picks out a new wardrobe/style for you...does he pay for it or do you have to?   Also, do you have to go out and find the gear or do you agree to it and he ships it to you?

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -277
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2020, 10:25:19 PM »
Seen a girl post that white amateur skaters should use their white privileges to get their BIPOC friends sponsored. Such a fucking head shake. If anyone calls me BIPOC, we havin a problem.

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2020, 04:18:44 AM »
Seen a girl post that white amateur skaters should use their white privileges to get their BIPOC friends sponsored. Such a fucking head shake. If anyone calls me BIPOC, we havin a problem.
Ya shes tripping fr and likely snorts pumpkin spice. A lot of people will use pc terms like that in a weird tone as condescending lowkey racism and think theyre not being noticed lol its gross stuff. Sometimes they mean well but its like ugh please

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2020, 05:42:32 AM »
Yeah you kinda sound like you're just bitter that you can't get sponsored or something because you don't understand how sponsorship works.
Gnarred, I’m just curious which hometown this person is a hero

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2020, 05:49:49 AM »
It’s hilarious to me that people still think they can have a career in riding a skateboard in 2020. Whatever you identify as, get a fucking job.
this, or start a gofundme