Author Topic: Whats it like working at a skateshop  (Read 5208 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: Whats it like working at a skateshop
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2020, 07:15:58 PM »
basically a live version of slap
I worked at a shop for six years. This is most on-point answer.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2020, 10:17:49 PM »
Expand Quote
basically a live version of slap
[close]
I worked at a shop for six years. This is most on-point answer.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2020, 07:39:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Worked part time at a local skate shop when i was 18..luv setting up new completes and pretending it is mine.. Back then a full set branded complete cost 400 malaysian ringgit..
Now 22years later, there's not a single skateshop in town.. A branded decks coat between 240-330 malaysian ringgit.. Plenty of fake Bones bearings & Spitfire wheels in the local market. And blank made in china decks & blank trucks..
[close]

@GBLange - are you in KL? I saw one of the big shops in Berjaya Time Square selling knock off boards, bearings and wheels from China, really depressing. I'm your neighbor across the straits and the situation here is only slightly better. There are only 3 shops, 1 core, 1 that over-charges and 1 that never has stock of anything new.

I gripped 3 boards this week for homies; fuckers have 101 excuses why they can't handle a blade and file. Also spent 45 minutes removing griptape from a board i wanted to keep as a wall hanger. My hands were so rough afterwards it made jacking off 7% less pleasurable than usual. And for that I cannot recommend working in a skateshop.
[close]

Not in KL but in a tiny city of Miri, Sarawak.. just next to Brunei.. Kuching has some skateshops, like the well known Rupert Rage owned by William.. Been going to his shop since 1992.. I'm pretty sure i know which skateshop ur referring to in Berjaya Timesquare.. I compared the bones reds i got from them and with the one that i got from an authorized Bones dealer. Definetely fakes.. And i just came across an instagram page where this dude is making a Made in Malaysia skate trucks
[close]

@GBLange - PM me the link? I got to check this out. I know there is a brand coming out of Indonesia? Was the drop in quality really different between the online Bones and original Bones? I wouldn't mid giving them a try since they are a few dollars.

@rocklobster the trucks soo bad..seems like he's making his own cast/mold.. I've only compared the bones Reds. u can see the difference on the shields..the fake ones has "TM" instead of a "R" at the end of the Reds wording.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2020, 09:22:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Worked part time at a local skate shop when i was 18..luv setting up new completes and pretending it is mine.. Back then a full set branded complete cost 400 malaysian ringgit..
Now 22years later, there's not a single skateshop in town.. A branded decks coat between 240-330 malaysian ringgit.. Plenty of fake Bones bearings & Spitfire wheels in the local market. And blank made in china decks & blank trucks..
[close]

@GBLange - are you in KL? I saw one of the big shops in Berjaya Time Square selling knock off boards, bearings and wheels from China, really depressing. I'm your neighbor across the straits and the situation here is only slightly better. There are only 3 shops, 1 core, 1 that over-charges and 1 that never has stock of anything new.

I gripped 3 boards this week for homies; fuckers have 101 excuses why they can't handle a blade and file. Also spent 45 minutes removing griptape from a board i wanted to keep as a wall hanger. My hands were so rough afterwards it made jacking off 7% less pleasurable than usual. And for that I cannot recommend working in a skateshop.
[close]

Not in KL but in a tiny city of Miri, Sarawak.. just next to Brunei.. Kuching has some skateshops, like the well known Rupert Rage owned by William.. Been going to his shop since 1992.. I'm pretty sure i know which skateshop ur referring to in Berjaya Timesquare.. I compared the bones reds i got from them and with the one that i got from an authorized Bones dealer. Definetely fakes.. And i just came across an instagram page where this dude is making a Made in Malaysia skate trucks
[close]

@GBLange - PM me the link? I got to check this out. I know there is a brand coming out of Indonesia? Was the drop in quality really different between the online Bones and original Bones? I wouldn't mid giving them a try since they are a few dollars.
[close]

@rocklobster the trucks soo bad..seems like he's making his own cast/mold.. I've only compared the bones Reds. u can see the difference on the shields..the fake ones has "TM" instead of a "R" at the end of the Reds wording.

Good looking out man, I'm going to try some of the $5 bearings off Aliexpress, see how they hold up. The Spitfire wheel they are flooding the market with look wack, the colors just aren't right.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2020, 08:18:40 AM »
Skate shops are where the love is (or should be) but when they are combined with other things, it is not so much fun.

If anyone ever asks me to fix a scooter or roller skates or blades they get a polite but firm answer of NO.

That and owners or bosses who either don't skate or don't know anything about skateboarding are another pain to deal with.

If you ever get the chance to work in or even run a skateshop, never take it for granted and do it for the love of skateboarding, even if it drives you insane, doesn't pay the bills, or causes you other untold issues.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDxuRVkhDiu/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Chookilara

• Rep: -20
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2020, 06:30:53 PM »
its great, SIKE. i really hate working at skateshops cause its so toxic. everybody just talks hella shit on locals who dont deserve it. terrible pay too >:(

stubbie

• Rep: -2
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2020, 06:39:27 PM »
Mostly my boss just mentally abuses me. His name is noah. I work with josh and isacc sometimes and its not very fun. Imagine getting paid minium wage just to get yelled at for putting the boxes in the wrong spot

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2020, 08:03:04 PM »
I've been selling extra product out of my apartment, gripping boards and putting together setups. I never thought I would get sick of gripping boards but 5 a week gets pretty tedious, as does having to explain to kids why I can't sell my wheels at 1/2 his asking price even though he's broke and has a dysfunctional home environment.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2020, 09:18:23 PM »
I am happy to help anyone who is keen to skate, but I draw the line at people who always have their hand out for cheap or free product, especially when I see them smoking, drinking, partying or whatever then cry broke and cannot afford a deck.

Almost always when I try to explain this, they have even more of a whinge which makes me just NOT want to help them at all, but it seems to be an all too common issue.

A little respect goes a long way.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:53:34 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2020, 10:18:00 AM »
I cannot imagine, not even a little. Walking into any store but especially an honest, proper skate shop and asking for free or discounted shit. I've never worked at a shop, sounds great but I'm sure it sucks. I went to my shop once and tried to unload some old thrashers, and the guy working looked like, oh fuck this dudes got a hundred shitty magazines and wants free somethin. I told him the deal and bought a deck and a doap ass sweatshirt. The point is I really don't get the asking for a discount things fuckin weird.
Whoa. Danger.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2020, 06:19:57 AM »
I cannot imagine, not even a little. Walking into any store but especially an honest, proper skate shop and asking for free or discounted shit.

You would be a very highly valued customer then!

But free product is often a fairly accessible commodity for some places, with promo budgets or suppliers providing lots of bonus items for big orders or sales incentives, or even just mates rates and all that sort of thing.  Sometimes it is totally who you know in the skateboard industry.

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2020, 07:53:09 AM »
I am happy to help anyone who is keen to skate, but I draw the line at people who always have their hand out for cheap or free product, especially when I see them smoking, drinking, partying or whatever then cry broke and cannot afford a deck.

Almost always when I try to explain this, they have even more of a whinge which makes me just NOT want to help them at all, but it seems to be an all too common issue.

A little respect goes a long way.
One time my coworker answered the phone and all he said was “no we sell skateboards here” and hung up. He was asking for a free board. The same guy came into the shop a few hours later to look for boards and ask if we had any “cheaper or free ones.” This was an ADULT! Not a child. Insane man