Author Topic: What's the longest you can stop skating without a huge dip in skill?  (Read 3145 times)

bo bice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: What's the longest you can stop skating without a huge dip in skill?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 01:15:56 PM »
Guy didn’t skate for like a decade and it didn’t seem to slow him down

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 01:17:34 PM »
Probably like 24 hours

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »
i lose it really quickly being that I'm not great to begin with. Got a concussion early August and haven't really skated since, maybe just down to the corner shop. The concussion really fucked with my fitness in general, I spent a long time just feeling groggy and falling asleep and eating shitty comfort food. Gonna set up a new deck tonight and I got some new shoes on the way, plus fall is always my favorite time to skate so I'm gonna start pushing around again soon.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2020, 01:52:14 PM »
i lose it really quickly being that I'm not great to begin with. Got a concussion early August and haven't really skated since, maybe just down to the corner shop. The concussion really fucked with my fitness in general, I spent a long time just feeling groggy and falling asleep and eating shitty comfort food. Gonna set up a new deck tonight and I got some new shoes on the way, plus fall is always my favorite time to skate so I'm gonna start pushing around again soon.
Get back out there and enjoy that new setup!

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2020, 01:58:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man, keeping my expectations and levels of impact low haha

Weekend96

• Rep: -4
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2020, 03:14:58 PM »
I think it depends on the person tbh. Recently i sprained my ankle and took a month off. I just started skating again this weekend and i actually seemed to skate better than i was before the injury lol.

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2020, 04:31:11 PM »
Anymore than a week and I start to feel pretty unco. It’s amazing how quickly it goes.

[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »
Once a didn't skate for like 6 months to a year due to life and problems and I've gotta say it's a strange one for me really. I always grew up a heelflipper kinda guy, learnt them first, was always a go to. I could do kick flips and stuff but never looked/felt any good. Now I'm back skating I'm the total opposite, kick flips on lock, levelled out and shit with more confidence to do them over/off stuff. Sometimes I nail a good heelflip/variation now and again but yeah, never seem to be as dialled in...

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2020, 04:56:53 PM »
I skated for 10 years then quit for 8 and now I skate at least 3 times a week and I'm almost as good as I was when I quit. Not quite but I'm getting there. Baby steps

Brguy

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2020, 08:34:39 PM »
Longer than you'd think. Most things you never really forget, you just get a little rusty, nothing like some parks you really like to get it going again, 1 or 2 weeks and it's like you never stopped.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1306
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2020, 10:06:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Once a year isn't really that much. And I don't know if taking a few months off is absolutely necessary unless you have a sprain that takes you out of action for a while. But yeah, strengthening your ankles and the rest of your leg muscles is a good move. Don't just focus on your ankles. Your core,hips, glutes and all of the other muscles in your leg help stabilize you. Your skating and body will be better off for it. Even if you lose some tricks in the process.
[close]

Word. This is the solid, practical advice I was looking for. Adding lunges squats, deadlifts, etc. Although I'm a little worried I'm going to have a huge ass at the end of all this.
[close]

Everyone loves a huge ass
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Letsfilmavideo

• Rep: 16
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2020, 07:23:47 AM »
Don’t stop skating just wear a heavy duty zamst ankle brace from dicks sporting goods, but the 3 tier one it’s great. I’d roll my ankles non stop for 3-4 years and never wanted to stop skating but knew I needed to strengthen my shit. You can do both at the same time just don’t totally kill your self in the gym on days before you skate, allow yourself adequate rest and wear that brace every time you skate for the six months doing strength training and then pop that bad boy off once you feel stronger. Worked well for me
I always got one of my boys holdin a jar of leak and a fat blunt, so as soon as i land the trick we gettin wet you know?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2020, 08:49:15 AM »
i can tell you unequivocally that every single moment that you are not on your skateboard you are doing irremediable damage to your "skill." the attrition of your skateboarding ability begins the instant you step off of your board

hell ride!

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2020, 09:45:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks man, keeping my expectations and levels of impact low haha
I just revamped an old deck that I did some of my best skating on like 18 years ago. I put on some ace trucks, Swiss bearings and some dial tone 56mm filmer wheels.  I went on like a 2 mile cruise just little ollies and nollies and man am I sore today!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2020, 01:02:25 PM »
Sometimes a little break will help your skateboarding. I've taken few months off here and there and always come back hungry for it.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2020, 01:05:30 PM »
I know it's all muscle memory but from personal experience, somehow, it seems like the less one worries about ever losing tricks, the less they actually do. Plus reflexes (for instance on slams) seem like they usually go first.

goo goo goo joob

• Rep: 40
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2020, 02:10:43 PM »
There's a lot of factors here but I'd say it depends on your age and what you do in that time off. Eight years ago I went to jail for shy of a year but was sober and working out during that time, I came out and skated better. Now in my thirties if I take a few weeks off and drink a bit here and there, it's noticeable when I get back on the board.

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2020, 07:06:27 PM »
depends on your skill level, if you do basic tricks like 50-50s and smith grinds then you can go years without losing it but if your a tech guy and you do kickflip tail bigspin out type stuff you literally lose it in weeks.

Novelty

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2020, 01:52:50 AM »
If I take 1-2 days off, it's perfect and I'll have a better session than that last day. Any longer than that and my legs start to feel like pool noodles when I get back on. It's like I need to find that perfect sweet spot or else I'll be a fucking potato.

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2020, 07:56:04 AM »
depends on your skill level, if you do basic tricks like 50-50s and smith grinds then you can go years without losing it but if your a tech guy and you do kickflip tail bigspin out type stuff you literally lose it in weeks.

I was trying backtail kf out when I sprained it ironically enough. Not usually that tech but I was having a good day. I think my 50-50 game will be good for decades, but sadly yes I'm worried about my flatground months down the road :(

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2020, 07:57:53 AM »
If I take 1-2 days off, it's perfect and I'll have a better session than that last day. Any longer than that and my legs start to feel like pool noodles when I get back on. It's like I need to find that perfect sweet spot or else I'll be a fucking potato.

pool noodles is such a good description. That and total loss of pop. Weirdly kind of freaks me out for a minute. Like I feel like I'm dying or something thinking: "why the fuck won't this shit work?"

chrisskates808

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2020, 02:58:28 PM »
Just recently got back into skating after taking a break for 8 weeks. Getting back into it was hard because my legs were limping for 3 days but didn't affect my skill drastically overall.