Author Topic: JOLIE ROUGE - NOAH's 1st skate video  (Read 9041 times)

matty_c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Re: JOLIE ROUGE - NOAH's 1st skate video
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2020, 12:51:09 AM »
I hope this is the high water mark where the wave finally breaks and rolls back
I致e had enough
I ripped that first part off hunter s thompson
listen to cosmic psychos

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2020, 01:55:23 AM »
I知 just tired of feeling like I need to celebrate almost intentionally mediocre skateboarding.

Also, filming a trick in a fucking beret? Come on.
The kid with the diamond vest and beret at the end is almost cosplay harlequin/Red Dawn level.

Looks like a compressed Indy logo and plaids without logos are better. Untied laces felt contrived. Still a decent watch although I'm not buying, BDK did some stuff here and there.

ricky bobby

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2020, 02:27:59 AM »
Expand Quote
I知 just tired of feeling like I need to celebrate almost intentionally mediocre skateboarding.

[close]
The kid with the diamond vest and beret at the end is almost cosplay harlequin/Red Dawn level.

Looks like a compressed Indy logo and plaids without logos are better. Untied laces felt contrived. Still a decent watch although I'm not buying, BDK did some stuff here and there.
As in you think Mango purposely had his laces untied...?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2020, 05:38:44 AM »
@City of Drunken Totems Mark Suciu did back noseblunt to nose manual in his latest Habitat part. I知 sure some dude at MACBA has done some crazy noseblunt-to-manual variations, as well.

Anyways, who knew that pointing out flow level skaters can稚 carry a video the way Hjalte, Nick Michel, BDK, Mango can would make such waves?

Expand Quote

[close]
A trendy skater from New York wearing a trendy hat in a trendy brand clip. Shocker
You think berets are on trend right now? How often do you get out?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2020, 07:38:54 AM »
hjlate hjalte hjalte
hardly art, hardly starving

Acky Jacky

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2020, 08:46:48 AM »

I'm backing the beret. The plaid one Chris Milic was wearing was sick. I'll take it a step further and say he is one of the best hat wearers in skating right now.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2020, 09:04:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Untied naturally, but left untied because it looks "cool" or some shit. Takes five seconds. The fucking beret is just a comedic cherry on top, next should have a dude dressed like Willy Wonka.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:34:48 AM by dooley »

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2020, 09:50:50 AM »
Wow, I didn't think that this video would have such a divided response! I personally loved it, I like how it gives off a fun and goofy vibe instead of the overly intense one a lot of skate videos go for these days. I'm also a sucker for 80's new wave/synthpop so that soundtrack just hit so well. Plus any footage from Mango, Bobby, and Haltjie is welcome!

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2020, 10:00:04 AM »
As a fan of intentionally mediocre skating? I'm all in. But where's the kyota love? That boul is serious. As for the kits these kids wear, yea it's not for me, but idk if it's supposed to be for me. Same for the hair cuts. But the skating, however trendy or intentionally mediocre, was sick. My real beef with this thing is that it Coulda been like 4 minutes shorter, but whatever.
Whoa. Danger.

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »
The name of the video means fuck all in French.

Good soundtrack, BDK and Hjalte always deliver but there was so much weird shit I didn't need to see in this.

Gonna wash my eyes with Worrest in Right Foot Forward or something like that.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »
@City of Drunken Totems Mark Suciu did back noseblunt to nose manual in his latest Habitat part. I知 sure some dude at MACBA has done some crazy noseblunt-to-manual variations, as well.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
A trendy skater from New York wearing a trendy hat in a trendy brand clip. Shocker
[close]
Sooo once?

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2020, 10:35:57 AM »
Just saw the announcement through their IG page, super psyched to see the footage.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF94_CLgZrD/

Discuss, speculate, copulate, etc., etc.

What a shitty name for a company

heckler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2020, 11:14:07 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
Sooo once?
You asked for an example, and I gave one. Not really sure what more you壇 expect of this interaction.

Statebird

• Rep: 46
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2020, 11:16:05 AM »

there was so much weird shit I didn't need to see in this.

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2020, 11:43:13 AM »
apparently it's (maybe) where the term "jolly roger" (pirate skull and crossbones) came from - from wikipedia: It is sometimes claimed that the term derives from "Joli Rouge" ("Pretty Red") in reference to a red flag used by French privateers. This is sometimes attributed to red blood, symbolizing violent pirates, ready to kill.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2020, 12:03:03 PM »
I really liked this video.
Team seems tight and organic/cohesive but also really diverse.
Unique skating and spot selection.
Great tunes and editing was excellent.
Back 5-0 biggie out at pyramid ledges got me so hyped; the struggle is real.
Sure, some of these dweebs are gonna be embarrassed by their own kits/middle parts in a few years, but that's what being young is all about.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2020, 01:01:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
Untied naturally, but left untied because it looks "cool" or some shit. Takes five seconds. The fucking beret is just a comedic cherry on top, next should have a dude dressed like Willy Wonka.

Thanks for pointing out that Chris Millic dresses a lil funky. None of us noticed that one before.

I'm pretty sure he was buying clothes off a homeless guy on OIAM back in 2010, the beret though... too far man. He's gone way too fashion

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2020, 01:41:08 PM »
Thanks for understanding. Being cool must be tough.

ricky bobby

« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »

Anyways, who knew that pointing out flow level skaters can稚 carry a video the way Hjalte, Nick Michel, BDK, Mango can would make such waves?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
I mean Noah make berets so its not that far of a stretch to suggest that they are a trendy hat. But hey i'll take what's going on outside of the internet from the guy who has over 5000 posts on slap

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2020, 04:28:30 PM »
Bobby amazing as always. Noah needs to make him pants to hide those vending machine temp tattoos.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2020, 04:52:58 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
I mean Noah make berets so its not that far of a stretch to suggest that they are a trendy hat. But hey i'll take what's going on outside of the internet from the guy who has over 5000 posts on slap
Sure, you definitely strike me as someone who has their finger on the pulse of popular skateboarding and trends, think what you壇 like.

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2020, 06:23:51 PM »
Bobby is one of a kind

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2020, 07:34:48 PM »
that was amazing

Chris' Back 3 to Manual was fucking wild.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2020, 07:42:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
Sooo once?
[close]
You asked for an example, and I gave one. Not really sure what more you壇 expect of this interaction.
"people have done way better back noseblunt to manual variations than that."

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

• Rep: -16
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2020, 12:15:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

new parts come out everyday, maybe just ignore it and celebrate shit that inspire you.

I agree with this sentiment and think some of you guys are being a bit harsh about this and possibly losing sight of the fact that this is a clothing company first and foremost, NOT a skateboard company. 

With that said, any company putting themselves out in the open market is subject to criticism and SLAP is the place to hear the brutal truth on Skater's opinions.

I dig the vibe of the company and the skaters they've chosen to represent them.  It speaks to alot of us who view skateboarding more as an art form and not a sport.

Where style takes precedence over hammer drop after hammer drop.  That stuff is definitely impressive, but not always inspiring in a way that makes skateboarding look "fun".

From a marketing perspective, it doesn't matter who is the best skateboarder, but what they bring in terms of marketability and aesthetics. 

They want to push a certain image and message to appeal to a certain sector of the market and I believe that they do it successfully here. 

I don't even necessarily agree with their messaging, but like that they take a stand on what they believe and don't change with the tides.. 

Not everyone's cup o tea.  But it's not supposed to be.  In regard to being over priced, that only applies if you don't see the value and or can't afford it.  They chose to go high end and compete with Supreme.  Good for them.

They must be doing something right if they are still in business 5 years later.  I'm rooting for Noah and all the up and comers in this video.    Call it mediocre skating if you must, but we all know this video doesn't necessarily show their best skating and be that as it may, each one likely rips on a level most can only dream of. 

Exciting to see what the future holds for the Brand and their "skate team".

At least that's my .42 pesos on the matter and fuck me for being extra.  But agree or disagree, Noah brings something new, fresh, and unique to skateboarding.  For me, THAT is what it's all about.

As you were, gentlemen (and ladies and insert preferred pronoun here)!
"Now go home and get your fucking Shinebox"

JMSneep

• Rep: 147
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2020, 12:39:27 AM »

Who is that in your avatar, stealing Rob Maatman's trick?

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2020, 01:23:55 AM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 04:16:13 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

HeapsCool

• Rep: -172
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2020, 04:17:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m just tired of feeling like I need to celebrate almost intentionally mediocre skateboarding.

[close]

[close]
[close]

Thats so cool that you only wear clothes when they have reached a critical mass and become normalized. You must have really interesting insights on things and be very brave in your day to day life.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2020, 05:13:04 AM »
Thank you. Fashion is amusing.

boorgs

• Rep: -2
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2020, 09:49:59 AM »
What痴 gonna happen when the trends change in a few years and people want skinny jeans or ghetto gowns again?
Companies will make it and people will buy it