Author Topic: Bucket List to travel before you die  (Read 2430 times)

yapple dapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Bucket List to travel before you die
« on: October 05, 2020, 06:03:34 PM »
They just found 59 mummies is Egypt.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1241954
And the Egyptian museum is set to open next year. Definitely want to check that out.
Peru is also on my list. Ones I checked of are,
 Cuba
Australia
Italy
Indonesia
NYC
France
Jamaica
Amsterdam

fredgallSOTY

Re: Bucket List to travel before you die
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 06:13:53 AM »
London
France (Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Biarritz)
Italy
Tokyo
Mexico
Vancouver/PNW
California

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 08:14:06 AM »
I’m from Arizona so I just want to be and go anywhere but here.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 12:09:48 PM »
I've done a few trips I'm really really thankful for but I'd like to add...

a full month in Iceland (I was there for a day and it seemed amazing)
Kenya
New Zealand
St. Martin
I'd also like to spend a year traveling through all the former Soviet States and make it out to Magadan in Russia (the gulag history is insanely brutal out there and I imagine just being there would be a pretty powerful experience).

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 01:21:48 PM »
And the Egyptian museum is set to open next year. Definitely want to check that out.
Egypt was cool to experience once. If you're into archaeology, there's almost endless museums and pyramid sites to check out. The Great Pyramids of Giza were amazing and far bigger than I expected. Coming from the U.S., it's just so cool to be in a place with that much history that well preserved.

On the flip side, you could not pay me to go back there. I'm well-traveled, but I couldn't deal with the 24/7 honking, heat, hustlers, and it was nearly impossible to find a beer. I'd be scared to go if I were female. My airport cab driver smashed into an elderly woman and her daughter crossing the street. He got out of the car and started screaming at them for being in his way. It was so fucked.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 02:34:45 PM »
Tbilisi and the rest of Georgia as well as Armenia is at the top of my list.

I'd love to do a long road trip / camping trip through BC (including Vancouver Island and Haida Gwaii), Yukon, Alaska up to the Arctic Ocean, and maybe Northwest Territory as well.

True bucket list style would be Erbil/Kurdistan and some extremely remote island like Pitcairn Island or Tristan de Cuhna.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 07:38:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Egypt was cool to experience once. If you're into archaeology, there's almost endless museums and pyramid sites to check out. The Great Pyramids of Giza were amazing and far bigger than I expected. Coming from the U.S., it's just so cool to be in a place with that much history that well preserved.

On the flip side, you could not pay me to go back there. I'm well-traveled, but I couldn't deal with the 24/7 honking, heat, hustlers, and it was nearly impossible to find a beer. I'd be scared to go if I were female. My airport cab driver smashed into an elderly woman and her daughter crossing the street. He got out of the car and started screaming at them for being in his way. It was so fucked.

Haha I love your summary of Egypt. It definitely has harsh elements but it's also still probably my favourite place I've ever been overseas. The ancient cultural sites, the food, the desert landscapes and even modern Egyptian society- the art, people, cafes  etc are all incredible. Whilst I can acknowledge it's not all rosy, I would return in a heartbeat.

I was really close to going Armenia and Georgia a couple of years back but had to bail due to needing to attend to some family stuff. They're probably the two places I'm most keen to go too.

Other places I'd like to check out are Ethiopia, Pakistan, Greece and some parts of Indonesia I haven't been too.

If we are talking ultimate long term bucket lists, I'd love to go to both Iraq and Afghanistan. I've seen both from the borders of other countries and would love to check them out as they are kind of missing jigsaw pieces of regions I've otherwise travelled fairly broadly in.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 09:19:56 PM »
Been to many places and returning to Iceland is on my list, this time rent a camper van and drive the full ring around it.

Surfed and skated in Japan, need to check off that snowboard box because they have incredible winters.

Getting barreled in Indonesia sounds rad, got a homie who is hyped on Ecuador waves as well, so time shall tell.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 07:04:52 AM »
Honestly there’s not too many places I don’t wanna go. But my big ones are:
France
Italy
Germany
Portugal
Spain (I’ve been but would love to go back)
Amsterdam
Japan
China
UK
Argentina
Brazil
Indonesia
Thailand
Vietnam
Australia

TBH every just about every country in Europe and South/Central America are on the list as well as Asia. Been to The Philippines and Mexico and would highly suggest Mexico to anyone, considering moving there in a year or two. 

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 10:55:48 AM »

My wife is from Tbilisi and we go from Chicago nearly every year (not this year obviously). My wife never wants to go to Armenia, but I've been on the border. I've heard Yerevan is nice.

I've been most everywhere throughout Georgia at this point. For a relatively small country, it's incredibly geographically and culturally diverse. I know it's the most linguistically diverse country on the planet. Even my wife struggled to communicate with people when we got up into the mountains. I probably only know a few phrases, but it's been pretty easy/cheap for me to get around Tbilisi and Batumi without her help.

Jagr

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 11:37:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My wife is from Tbilisi and we go from Chicago nearly every year (not this year obviously). My wife never wants to go to Armenia, but I've been on the border. I've heard Yerevan is nice.

I've been most everywhere throughout Georgia at this point. For a relatively small country, it's incredibly geographically and culturally diverse. I know it's the most linguistically diverse country on the planet. Even my wife struggled to communicate with people when we got up into the mountains. I probably only know a few phrases, but it's been pretty easy/cheap for me to get around Tbilisi and Batumi without her help.

I remember seeing you post in the Tbilisi thread about visiting often. Seems like quite a few other pals have been too. Why doesn't your wife ever want to go to Armenia? I'll have to hit you up if I ever make it over to Georgia.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 11:45:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I remember seeing you post in the Tbilisi thread about visiting often. Seems like quite a few other pals have been too. Why doesn't your wife ever want to go to Armenia? I'll have to hit you up if I ever make it over to Georgia.
Good memory! I think it's a friendly rivalry. Kind of like how I never want to go to Michigan because my home state of Wisconsin is obviously superior. I know Armenians/Georgians bicker about who invented wine and khajapuri.

I'd probably avoid Armenia for a bit just because they're in active conflict with Azerbaijan. My first time in Tbilisi was near the Russian invasion of South Ossetia, it was nerve racking to say the least. In summer 2019, Google maps took me into occupied South Ossetia and the dudes patrolling the border were obviously not the friendliest.

Jagr

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 12:09:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Good memory! I think it's a friendly rivalry. Kind of like how I never want to go to Michigan because my home state of Wisconsin is obviously superior. I know Armenians/Georgians bicker about who invented wine and khajapuri.

I'd probably avoid Armenia for a bit just because they're in active conflict with Azerbaijan. My first time in Tbilisi was near the Russian invasion of South Ossetia, it was nerve racking to say the least. In summer 2019, Google maps took me into occupied South Ossetia and the dudes patrolling the border were obviously not the friendliest.

I'd agree with you about Wisconsin if not for the Upper Peninsula (but maybe the UP really should be Wisconsin's anyways).

I'm not very well versed in the geopolitics of the Caucasus region, although I probably should be if I plan to travel there someday. I guess international travel like that is somewhat far off through what with Covid (I'm in the US too). When was the first time you traveled to Georgia with your wife?

Since you seem somewhat well traveled, what's on your travel bucket list? I don't think you've shared that here yet.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 12:45:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd agree with you about Wisconsin if not for the Upper Peninsula (but maybe the UP really should be Wisconsin's anyways).

100%, this has never made any sense to me. I do love snowboarding up there.

I'm not very well versed in the geopolitics of the Caucasus region, although I probably should be if I plan to travel there someday. I guess international travel like that is somewhat far off through what with Covid (I'm in the US too). When was the first time you traveled to Georgia with your wife?

It must have been 2008. Every year we go I try to make a few side trips around Eastern Europe or the Middle East. I'm happy to answer any question you may have about Tbilisi whenever you decide to go, just send me a direct message!

Since you seem somewhat well traveled, what's on your travel bucket list? I don't think you've shared that here yet.
Galapagos is probably at the top, but I know it's really hard to get the permit, etc. My uncle has been there and said it lived up to the hype. My favorite places I've been to have all been because of the natural beauty (e.g. South Island NZ, Norwegian Fjords, Iguazu Falls, etc).

Hellride

• Rep: -20
  • https://youtu.be/UBMUk3FnEQs
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 10:12:52 AM »
Ohio

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 12:30:30 PM »

Kenya
New Zealand
St. Martin
I'd also like to spend a year traveling through all the former Soviet States and make it out to Magadan in Russia (the gulag history is insanely brutal out there and I imagine just being there would be a pretty powerful experience).

I lived there for 5 years (wife is from there) and went last year right before the covid shit. Can tell you a lot about it.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 12:49:07 PM »
Expand Quote

Kenya
New Zealand
St. Martin
[close]

I lived there for 5 years (wife is from there) and went last year right before the covid shit. Can tell you a lot about it.

Love that accent. Talked to some 20 somethings at a bar at LAX from New Zealand and I wanted to follow them to wherever they were going. Such nice people with great attitude s. Made me less cynical for the rest of the day. You are a lucky man.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 01:29:33 PM »
Japan
Spain
Portugal
Italy
Brazil (much lower on my list now that I’m a husband and a dad)

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 01:58:38 PM »
I hate planes, but still want to travel.

I'd love to visit anywhere in North America where there are hilly forests.

Never been to Europe. Definitely want to visit Barcelona, Paris, Vienna, London, Italy in general, maybe Portugal.

I hate to say this but part of me wants to participate in the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, even though it promotes animal cruelty.

Really want to travel down the US east and west coasts. Seattle, Oregon, Boston, The Carolinas, etc. Also want to visit Louisiana, Texas, and the South in general.

Japan is also a must-see someday.

I've been through Vancouver, and have explored Commercial Dr. a little bit, but I've never spent a lot of time in Vancouver and would like to. Also Banff, I've only been through it.

Never been to California and I'm dying to go to LA and SF. Hopefully I can get that done in the next two years.

Also want to revisit the cities I've lived in and film some clips in them - Ottawa, Gatineau, Toronto, and Victoria, as well as Montreal.

Maybe Macchu Picchu and maybe Egypt. I don't know.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2021, 02:54:58 PM »
A US West Coast trip would be great.

There was an episode of Anthony Bourdain's show that made me really want to visit Uruguay.

Spain would also be fantastic. I wanna experience that Mediterranean climate!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 03:04:12 PM »
Since 2013 I've driven the interstates across US 6 times. I've done the main Amtrak routes up and down the coasts 2x, across excluding the northern most corridor 3x, bussed across once, driven New England to North Carolina a handful of times, a lot of driving up and down the 101 in CA/OR. So I'm pretty zonked on USA travel, although if we drive across again in late Spring, I'd like to follow the bloom south, then through CO. Spend time in New Mexico. I don't know the desert much at all. Went to Cambodia in 2012 for a month and would do that again. Spent some time in Salamanca/Madrid and would like to see more of the Spanish country side. That's my only non-US traveling though.

Bucket List-

Açores islands- I've got some ancestors from there and my old Portuguese buddies who go back every year insist it's the most mellow, beautiful place possible

Cuba- before Capitalists get their fangs in further

Nepal/Tibet- before Himalaya glaciers are gone

Republica Dominica- worked with some Dominicans and they were DOPE people. I'd love to peep it for a few months

I don't have knowledge, but Eastern European/Former Soviet countries, in my imagination anyways, could be super interesting and a different experience than what I know

Australia because why not? Then hop over to Cambodia again, Thailand, etc

It's a shame we can't got to Afghanistan as civilian Americans, I know that sounds loaded, but man, those photos and videos from the hippy trail days are off the hook

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 04:23:51 PM »

Never been to Europe. Definitely want to visit Barcelona, Paris, Vienna, London, Italy in general, maybe Portugal.

I hate to say this but part of me wants to participate in the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, even though it promotes animal cruelty.

Really want to travel down the US east and west coasts. Seattle, Oregon, Boston, The Carolinas, etc. Also want to visit Louisiana, Texas, and the South in general.

I've been through Vancouver, and have explored Commercial Dr. a little bit, but I've never spent a lot of time in Vancouver and would like to. Also Banff, I've only been through it.

Never been to California and I'm dying to go to LA and SF. Hopefully I can get that done in the next two years.

Also want to revisit the cities I've lived in and film some clips in them - Ottawa, Gatineau, Toronto, and Victoria, as well as Montreal.

I hate flying a lot. But then have to go to NZ for like 13 5 hour flight. I usually stay up for 2 days then take some kind of sleeping pills. Usually snooze 10 out of 13 or so

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 06:09:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I hate flying a lot. But then have to go to NZ for like 13 5 hour flight. I usually stay up for 2 days then take some kind of sleeping pills. Usually snooze 10 out of 13 or so

Dude I wish I could sleep on flights. When the plane starts its ascent I'm gripping the armrests. I'm actually okay on overseas flights but smaller planes are fucking horrible, I'll never ride in a propeller-powered plane again. But I've never taken any pills for it, maybe I should try. Also, love the sig as usual.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2021, 08:10:42 PM »
Japan
Spain
Georgia
Lots of South America
Mongolia

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 08:52:48 PM »
Adelaide Australia and Melbourne are at the top o f the list for me

I'd like to go back to Cordoba Argentina and Val Paraiso

Johannesburg South Africa

Botswana

St.Petersburg Russia

Pretty much anywhere I've never been I'd like to go

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 09:01:07 PM »
Barcelona. It may not be in the skateboarding prime it once was but I feel like I would still bug out hard there. The wine would be a bonus.

I’ll also say Greece since my honeymoon was gonna happen there this year until the pandemic hit.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2021, 09:08:08 PM »
Why do some of you want to go to Australia? .it's a relaxed place, but not particularly interesting. Good for nature though. Every time I get off the plane I feel like i'm in a massive retirement village.

dirty limerick

• Rep: -17
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2021, 09:31:41 PM »
my ancestors are from easter island so i'd love to visit one day.

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 07:46:45 PM »
Would love the chance to go absolutely anywhere but CDMX & London are at the top

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 01:32:55 AM »
Since 2013 I've driven the interstates across US 6 times. I've done the main Amtrak routes up and down the coasts 2x, across excluding the northern most corridor 3x, bussed across once, driven New England to North Carolina a handful of times, a lot of driving up and down the 101 in CA/OR. So I'm pretty zonked on USA travel, although if we drive across again in late Spring, I'd like to follow the bloom south, then through CO. Spend time in New Mexico. I don't know the desert much at all. Went to Cambodia in 2012 for a month and would do that again. Spent some time in Salamanca/Madrid and would like to see more of the Spanish country side. That's my only non-US traveling though.

Bucket List-

Açores islands- I've got some ancestors from there and my old Portuguese buddies who go back every year insist it's the most mellow, beautiful place possible

Cuba- before Capitalists get their fangs in further

Nepal/Tibet- before Himalaya glaciers are gone

Republica Dominica- worked with some Dominicans and they were DOPE people. I'd love to peep it for a few months

I don't have knowledge, but Eastern European/Former Soviet countries, in my imagination anyways, could be super interesting and a different experience than what I know

Australia because why not? Then hop over to Cambodia again, Thailand, etc

It's a shame we can't got to Afghanistan as civilian Americans, I know that sounds loaded, but man, those photos and videos from the hippy trail days are off the hook

Great idea! I'd say go for it as soon as this pandemic's over. I personally love visiting off-the-beaten-track places in Eastern Europe. Been to Moldova and Transnistria, Romania, Bulgaria and Ukraine the summer before Covid. If you keep an open mind, you can learn a lot travelling through there. Overall, these places are much different than many might think and while some people can come off as a bit gruff at first, most are also really helpful and hospitable. Except for the Transnistrian authorities, none of these places felt unsafe in any way if you keep your wits.

I was supposed to travel to Georgia and Armenia last summer, but that trip was cancelled for obvious reasons. Me and my girlfriend (we're from Germany) went to the Baltic coast in Poland instead, which is absolutely gorgeous, and also visited Gdansk. Even though Poland's not considered Eastern Europe, I can't deny a certain love for and interest in post Warsaw-pact countries.

I'd love to finally visit Georgia and Armenia some time. I was sad to hear about the war/open conflict in the Karabakh area and I'm not sure what that means for future visits in Armenia.

Other places I want to visit are Ireland, Scotland, Morocco and, if possible, Lebanon. I'd also be interested in re-visiting the US. After living in California for a year and travelling up and down the West Coast and all over the Southwest, it'd be really cool to visit the rest of the country. I've only been to NYC once and would love to travel through the East Coast area and the South (esp. DC, Baltimore, the Carolinas, New Orleans, Atlanta). Well, I guess, as far as travelling is concerned, I tend towards the underdogs.