Author Topic: Bucket List to travel before you die  (Read 2432 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
Re: Bucket List to travel before you die
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 11:52:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've done a few trips I'm really really thankful for but I'd like to add...

a full month in Iceland (I was there for a day and it seemed amazing)
Kenya
New Zealand
St. Martin
I'd also like to spend a year traveling through all the former Soviet States and make it out to Magadan in Russia (the gulag history is insanely brutal out there and I imagine just being there would be a pretty powerful experience).
[close]

I lived there for 5 years (wife is from there) and went last year right before the covid shit. Can tell you a lot about it.
[close]

Love that accent. Talked to some 20 somethings at a bar at LAX from New Zealand and I wanted to follow them to wherever they were going. Such nice people with great attitude s. Made me less cynical for the rest of the day. You are a lucky man.

If you go, and need any info PM me. Free parks everywhere to skate. Good shops. Boardertown in Auckland City, to me, was the best shop. Victoria park downtown is pretty sick, can fill up quick though. Personal opinion: Tauranga is the best part of the country for everything overall though.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 07:13:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've done a few trips I'm really really thankful for but I'd like to add...

a full month in Iceland (I was there for a day and it seemed amazing)
Kenya
New Zealand
St. Martin
I'd also like to spend a year traveling through all the former Soviet States and make it out to Magadan in Russia (the gulag history is insanely brutal out there and I imagine just being there would be a pretty powerful experience).
[close]

I lived there for 5 years (wife is from there) and went last year right before the covid shit. Can tell you a lot about it.
[close]

Love that accent. Talked to some 20 somethings at a bar at LAX from New Zealand and I wanted to follow them to wherever they were going. Such nice people with great attitude s. Made me less cynical for the rest of the day. You are a lucky man.
[close]

If you go, and need any info PM me. Free parks everywhere to skate. Good shops. Boardertown in Auckland City, to me, was the best shop. Victoria park downtown is pretty sick, can fill up quick though. Personal opinion: Tauranga is the best part of the country for everything overall though.
I lived in Paraparaumu for about a year, but spent most of my time backpacking around the islands. I didn't skate much (board prices are fucked), but went snowboarding quite a bit. Nightlife in Auckland/Wellington were great. The South Island is breathtakingly beautiful with endless outdoor activities. I remember pulling up to on-your-honor hostels which asked me to leave money on the table after I left. People are just so relaxed there.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2021, 07:33:07 PM »
South Island has the best scenery on the planet. I did a road trip around the south island last year, then we just hung out with my wife's relatives and my NZ buddies (got my Lennie Kirk tattoo there by my homie). Queenstown (south) is awesome! I did tourist stuff on the trip (including Hobbiton- son was psyched)
I lived in South Auckland for 5 years and worked at a brewery (easily the best job I've ever had - inventory controller for beer.) Free beer every Friday for 5 years. I had my friends send me boards instead of paying there lol. I couldn't mentally spend $80 for wheels or 150 for a deck. At the time, shipping was cheap to do (2008-2013). I would randomly buy stuff at Boardertown though. I didn't really make any skate friends, I'd randomly skate with people but outside interests never really clicked minus "hey I also drink!". I hung out with a bunch of metal guys and would listen to Slayer and Danzig and have Steinlager - best beer ever! Those guys were hella cool. Saw Suicidal Tendencies there and got so hammered i was sitting in a chair. Wife is from Tauranga area, if we ever move back that is the spot. Auckland cost of living is ridiculous. I really liked the small towns out in the country the most. I didn't do much backpacking there which is so dumb since I do it here. Missed out! I have all the trip pics on my other phone but Hobbiton was dope, would go again. Food is 1000x better there too

FlavouredCondom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -40
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2021, 07:44:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They just found 59 mummies is Egypt.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1241954
And the Egyptian museum is set to open next year. Definitely want to check that out.
[close]
Egypt was cool to experience once. If you're into archaeology, there's almost endless museums and pyramid sites to check out. The Great Pyramids of Giza were amazing and far bigger than I expected. Coming from the U.S., it's just so cool to be in a place with that much history that well preserved.

On the flip side, you could not pay me to go back there. I'm well-traveled, but I couldn't deal with the 24/7 honking, heat, hustlers, and it was nearly impossible to find a beer. I'd be scared to go if I were female. My airport cab driver smashed into an elderly woman and her daughter crossing the street. He got out of the car and started screaming at them for being in his way. It was so fucked.
[close]

Haha I love your summary of Egypt. It definitely has harsh elements but it's also still probably my favourite place I've ever been overseas. The ancient cultural sites, the food, the desert landscapes and even modern Egyptian society- the art, people, cafes  etc are all incredible. Whilst I can acknowledge it's not all rosy, I would return in a heartbeat.

I was really close to going Armenia and Georgia a couple of years back but had to bail due to needing to attend to some family stuff. They're probably the two places I'm most keen to go too.

Other places I'd like to check out are Ethiopia, Pakistan, Greece and some parts of Indonesia I haven't been too.

If we are talking ultimate long term bucket lists, I'd love to go to both Iraq and Afghanistan. I've seen both from the borders of other countries and would love to check them out as they are kind of missing jigsaw pieces of regions I've otherwise travelled fairly broadly in.

LOL, goof.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2021, 08:14:45 PM »
New orleans is a big one for me, also hawaii would be dope

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2021, 06:32:39 AM »
Patagonia
Japan
Egypt
Tibet
Ireland
Germany
Iceland
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2021, 07:12:16 AM »
South Island has the best scenery on the planet. I did a road trip around the south island last year, then we just hung out with my wife's relatives and my NZ buddies (got my Lennie Kirk tattoo there by my homie). Queenstown (south) is awesome! I did tourist stuff on the trip (including Hobbiton- son was psyched)
I lived in South Auckland for 5 years and worked at a brewery (easily the best job I've ever had - inventory controller for beer.) Free beer every Friday for 5 years. I had my friends send me boards instead of paying there lol. I couldn't mentally spend $80 for wheels or 150 for a deck. At the time, shipping was cheap to do (2008-2013). I would randomly buy stuff at Boardertown though. I didn't really make any skate friends, I'd randomly skate with people but outside interests never really clicked minus "hey I also drink!". I hung out with a bunch of metal guys and would listen to Slayer and Danzig and have Steinlager - best beer ever! Those guys were hella cool. Saw Suicidal Tendencies there and got so hammered i was sitting in a chair. Wife is from Tauranga area, if we ever move back that is the spot. Auckland cost of living is ridiculous. I really liked the small towns out in the country the most. I didn't do much backpacking there which is so dumb since I do it here. Missed out! I have all the trip pics on my other phone but Hobbiton was dope, would go again. Food is 1000x better there too
Damn, too bad I didn't go on Slap around that time. I was there 2008-2009. I still have a Tui Beer hoodie I wear weekly, but I lost most of my pictures. I remember surviving on $3 Fish & Chips meals, but I was living with a Mauri family and had some amazing food I'd never experienced. I stopped at Taurana on my way to Rotorua. I was in NZ on a working holiday visa, but the recession hit and the job I was offered at the National Bank of NZ didn't pan out. I ended up just taking busses from hostel-to-hostel until I ran out of funds.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2021, 07:41:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Damn, too bad I didn't go on Slap around that time. I was there 2008-2009. I still have a Tui Beer hoodie I wear weekly, but I lost most of my pictures. I remember surviving on $3 Fish & Chips meals, but I was living with a Mauri family and had some amazing food I'd never experienced. I stopped at Taurana on my way to Rotorua. I was in NZ on a working holiday visa, but the recession hit and the job I was offered at the National Bank of NZ didn't pan out. I ended up just taking busses from hostel-to-hostel until I ran out of funds.

Sounds like fun! Rotorua was cool, took my dog in a hot tub there. Lived off the fish and chips shop by our place. Cheap meals. Chips wrapped in newspaper - delicious. My 2 dogs I have are my NZ dogs, only cost $4000 to bring them back here. My boy dog is 12.5 now and my girl dog is 10! My wife is half Maori, but I learned more about the Maori culture from my dudes at work, lol. My wife has a lot of cousins that Samoan / Maori, great people!
Here's a couple pics from my trip last year:
From the top of Hobbiton:

South island:

Shark swimming toward me at Kelly Tarlton's:

When I got my lil boy dog in 2008 and my little 1/4 pipe (note my BMW I had in the background. Pre-hand tats

Somewhere (probably myspace, lol!) I have other pics from when I lived there. Sadly not enough. 5 years and I have like 30 pictures. I guess once I started working and living regular life, I lost some fun. We MAY move back there one day. We've surprisingly done pretty well since moving back to the US, so currently I don't think it would be the right move.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2021, 08:03:53 AM »
That's so cool. Thanks for sharing! I had all my pics on Facebook, but deleted my account. I saved my pics on my laptop (crashed a week later) and my work laptop (crashed 3 weeks later). The odds of both happening within a month were so low, but there went 10+ years of amazing pics.

They opened up direct flights from Chicago to NZ last year, so we'll have to do a family trip after the pandemic. My wife is always talking about moving to Tbilisi, which I suppose could happen in 10 years, but not until our daughters are through school.

dirty limerick

• Rep: -17
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2021, 06:31:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sounds like fun! Rotorua was cool, took my dog in a hot tub there. Lived off the fish and chips shop by our place. Cheap meals. Chips wrapped in newspaper - delicious. My 2 dogs I have are my NZ dogs, only cost $4000 to bring them back here. My boy dog is 12.5 now and my girl dog is 10! My wife is half Maori, but I learned more about the Maori culture from my dudes at work, lol. My wife has a lot of cousins that Samoan / Maori, great people!
Here's a couple pics from my trip last year:
From the top of Hobbiton:

South island:

Shark swimming toward me at Kelly Tarlton's:

When I got my lil boy dog in 2008 and my little 1/4 pipe (note my BMW I had in the background. Pre-hand tats

Somewhere (probably myspace, lol!) I have other pics from when I lived there. Sadly not enough. 5 years and I have like 30 pictures. I guess once I started working and living regular life, I lost some fun. We MAY move back there one day. We've surprisingly done pretty well since moving back to the US, so currently I don't think it would be the right move.
i thought that one shot was a picture of michael stipe. NZ looks beautiful.

dunc

• Rep: 49
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2021, 12:57:12 AM »
South Island , New Zealand is my hood. Luckily we are COVID free at the moment but when it all blows over for you folk , I would happily house some slap pals if you are nice.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2021, 08:27:19 AM »
I'm pretty lucky as far as visiting because my wife has family all over that country. And I've got friends around the North Island. Queenstown was one of the coolest places I've ever been though. South Island is dope

No-pants Pee Hands

• Rep: -2
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2021, 11:38:35 AM »
I would have to say
Colorado
Mexico
And a second visit to Australia

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2021, 12:32:13 PM »
I really want to see the symphony of lights in Hong Kong that’s been at the top for a while.
London
CDMX
Toronto
I’d love to visit Tokyo but I’ve heard they’re very strict about weed.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2021, 08:08:25 AM »
Hobbiton.
Bucket list of bucket list

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2021, 03:08:07 PM »
Nothing to do with skating, but Tokyo and Rio are top of my list.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2021, 04:33:11 AM »
la perla in PR

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2021, 12:33:00 AM »
Interesting thread! I traveled quite a bit before having kids (all over Europe, plus China, Egypt, Jordan, Iceland, Australia, California, NY.....). Now that we are raising a family, the most exotic trips were going to Guadeloupe and Martinique (French Caribean islands, I just LOVE going there). Plus Colombia to see family.
Now with the pandemic, it's nice to daydream....

so I'd say the top places on my bucket list now would be:
Japan
French polynesia
Returning to Iceland (to rent a caravan and go all around the island with the kids !)
New Orleans and the Midwest