Author Topic: Tailslide tips (edit: frontside)  (Read 5499 times)

dime a dozen trend skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Tailslide tips (edit: frontside)
« on: October 07, 2020, 07:08:53 PM »
I’ve been trying to get tailslides for a few weeks now and I’ve been really struggling, at this point I’ve gotten the motion of getting the tail onto the ledge onto the ledge but I can’t really lock in. All my tail does in just slap down off the ledge and I end up doing a snowboard style tail bonk on the ledge.
I really struggle with getting my weight over my back foot while doing the 90 degree turn when I try to turn frontside my weight naturally shifts towards my front foot as I rotate, however if I try to consciously put my weight over my back foot I pop super rocket and can’t really get my board over the ledge. Anyone have any tips? I really haven’t been able to wrap my head around these.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:45:02 AM by rocklobster »

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Tailslide tips
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 07:31:51 AM »
I’ve been trying to get tailslides for a few weeks now and I’ve been really struggling, at this point I’ve gotten the motion of getting the tail onto the ledge onto the ledge but I can’t really lock in. All my tail does in just slap down off the ledge and I end up doing a snowboard style tail bonk on the ledge.
I really struggle with getting my weight over my back foot while doing the 90 degree turn when I try to turn frontside my weight naturally shifts towards my front foot as I rotate, however if I try to consciously put my weight over my back foot I pop super rocket and can’t really get my board over the ledge. Anyone have any tips? I really haven’t been able to wrap my head around these.

I think you gotta think about it as if you'd be hopping stairs sideways on one leg (your back leg). Jumping from your back leg to your back leg. When you pop concentrate on not using your front leg. Just kinda fold your front leg from under you to give your board room to ollie, but all the pop comes from your back leg. Your center of mass stays pinched over your back leg throughout the trick.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 11:26:12 AM »
I never think of it as a 90 degree ollie in, I snap the ollie like any other ollie then focus on aiming the tail for the ledge. It’s super important to really hold most of your weight on the edge of the tail once you’re there. Once you’re comfortable popping into it, if you’re wanting to come out to regs make sure the ledge is sufficiently waxed on the top and side so you aren’t sticking and falling forward. I’d recommend that you should try to work out the motion of popping into tail stall and staying on it until you purposely can pop out on a small ledge or curb to work your way up to a proper front tailslide.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 02:11:08 PM »
open up your back foot at an angle, and come towards whatever youre sliding at a slight angle

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 08:34:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think you gotta think about it as if you'd be hopping stairs sideways on one leg (your back leg). Jumping from your back leg to your back leg. When you pop concentrate on not using your front leg. Just kinda fold your front leg from under you to give your board room to ollie, but all the pop comes from your back leg. Your center of mass stays pinched over your back leg throughout the trick.

Yes on this. I haven't put the effort into getting them back but when trying them in my youth - too much focus on the front foot to get the turn would have me doing shitty slides on the ledge. I would slide but come out fakie and never be able to control it at all. When I did finally get them I remember putting most of my energy and attention to my back foot and getting it up and on the ledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RPRK5if-A&ab_channel=SKATEHACKS
His slow-mo videos are good, but really observe the direction his front foot drags.
Front foot - inwards and to the side instead of forward and out
Back foot - up and on

Even though the trick is conceptually is similar to a FS Lipslide, FS 180 into a ledge / rail, they operate very differently.

FS Lipslide is more of a power trick - you can really pop above the rail and rotate hard into the trick since you have the entire width of your board to control and adjust the slide, so you're less likely to just stick and stall.

FS Tailslides feel more like a technique / finesse trick - movement of the feet is delicate to guide the tail gently onto the ledge. Too high and you slam your tail in and stick.

Shoulders should be mostly parallel, maybe leading shoulder pointing slightly into the ledge to "pre-wind" your shoulder for the rotation.

Damn all this talk has got me hankering to get them going again this weekend! Coming out regular, none of that Fakie nonsense. (JK my tailslides are shitty and mainly come out fakie)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 11:56:41 PM »
Roll up to the ledge. Pop an ollie, turn frontside and put your tail on the ledge. Slide, and roll away clean.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 04:16:24 AM »
throwing your shoulders seems like the big thing. unlike 50s and 5 0s you have throw your entire body weight 90 and over the ledge. i think they are easier on transition and it's the same motion with your shoulders. might try learning them there

on curbs i learned by tweaking 5 0s more and more

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 09:40:44 AM »
Roll up to the ledge. Pop an ollie, turn frontside and put your tail on the ledge. Slide, and roll away clean.

Are you Willy Santos from the Birdhouse website circa 2002 using Quicktime video? I loved and loathed those videos.

I managed to land a few FS tailsides to fakie after not touching them for 8 months. I had my front foot in an exaggerated angle like I was almost knocking the knees on my popping leg. That forced me to drag sideways and flat almost folding my ankle on itself, instead out too far forward. This let me focus on getting my back foot just high enough over the ledge so I didn't slam in and stick.

Edit: I had my focus on my front popping leg to get a good sideways drag, probably got away with shitty form because the ledge was pretty low. I'll work on them again on a higher ledge tomorrow and report back.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 01:43:25 AM »
I've been neglecting my front tails a lot this past year regs and switch. Feel like was partially related to trying a bunch of different shapes, some of which had tails that were too pointy and small. Definitely an important staple trick to have in the bag, super versatile and satisfying. I think that coming out regular is much lazier than holding one and getting a good pop out to fakie, which looks much better imo.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 09:24:56 AM »
I've been neglecting my front tails a lot this past year regs and switch. Feel like was partially related to trying a bunch of different shapes, some of which had tails that were too pointy and small. Definitely an important staple trick to have in the bag, super versatile and satisfying. I think that coming out regular is much lazier than holding one and getting a good pop out to fakie, which looks much better imo.

Doing a long one to regular is the best feeling in the world.

Worked on them on a taller ledge and managed to get a few in the bag to fakie. Rolling parallel helped but most important was the drag of the front foot. I knew I could trust my back foot to pop hard enough to get on, i just had to focus more of mental focus on getting a solid drag. Exaggerated setup position almost knocking my popping knee, folded ankle position, drag sideway almost perpendicular to the ledge. The lock and slide came a lot easier.

I used to think of it like a lipslide - pop up high and stomp your tail on. I would also drag ahead of myself and tried scooping the board, resulting in slip outs, over-rotations and the board not coming up high enough.

If anyone has pointers on how to get better exits to regular let me know please.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 10:03:22 AM »
I work on these more than any other ledge trick and I still can’t sit on them like I want to.  Usually just a couple feet then fall out to regular.

It’s mildly upsetting because that for how much I like the trick and how much I work on it, I know that I don’t really fully “have” them since I’m too much of a scrub to be able to sit on them and take them around to fakie.

So I do the next best thing: occasionally whine about it on the internet to strangers.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 10:35:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Worked on them on a taller ledge and managed to get a few in the bag to fakie. Rolling parallel helped but most important was the drag of the front foot. I knew I could trust my back foot to pop hard enough to get on, i just had to focus more of mental focus on getting a solid drag. Exaggerated setup position almost knocking my popping knee, folded ankle position, drag sideway almost perpendicular to the ledge. The lock and slide came a lot easier.

I used to think of it like a lipslide - pop up high and stomp your tail on. I would also drag ahead of myself and tried scooping the board, resulting in slip outs, over-rotations and the board not coming up high enough.

If anyone has pointers on how to get better exits to regular let me know please.
I’ve been using your trick of trying to get that front foot to open up perpendicular and I’ve made some significant progress with the trick, can you elaborate on what you mean by “knocking your popping knee” though? I agree it’s important to get a solid pop though and not scoop, I need to break the habit of scooping into them I always end up in the backseat, it makes it impossible to lock in and on anything higher than a curb you don’t get any pop and will slip out.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 11:49:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I’ve been using your trick of trying to get that front foot to open up perpendicular and I’ve made some significant progress with the trick, can you elaborate on what you mean by “knocking your popping knee” though? I agree it’s important to get a solid pop though and not scoop, I need to break the habit of scooping into them I always end up in the backseat, it makes it impossible to lock in and on anything higher than a curb you don’t get any pop and will slip out.

Yeah scoopng only works for low ledges and results in coping dancing - barely slide, no lock in, come out fakie. Too much pop and you end up under-rotated (tail smacks the side of the ledge) or too high above the ledge (stick and slam).

I point my dragging foot / shin at a slight angle (10 degrees) instead of having it completely straight and parallel with my popping foot, so it looks like my knees are touching. It's something I tried yesterday to help me focus on dragging perpendicular to the ledge and to get the bent ankle position.

I rolled really parallel with the ledge yesterday and managed to get a decent slide out to fakie, I'll try going at a slight angle into the ledge to control my board / body rotation which should give better control when coming our regular.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 07:15:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No joke, I trick my brain to get good pop outs to regular by telling myself to lean as if I’m doing it to fakie, then at the last minute exiting regular instead. It helps avoid the stick and fall forward a lot.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 07:24:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No joke, I trick my brain to get good pop outs to regular by telling myself to lean as if I’m doing it to fakie, then at the last minute exiting regular instead. It helps avoid the stick and fall forward a lot.

I wish I could tailslide long enough to have the time to trick my brain into coming out a specific way. When I first learned them I could only come out fakie (coping dance). Then I put a lot of effort into getting a solid lock on the tail, so I would only slide less than a foot but came out regular. At 34, I think I'm ready for both.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 07:27:44 AM »
The whole idea of sitting on anything is beyond me....tail, even nose, crook.....the only thing I can do for any length is 50-50's.....I'm pretty much never hanging out on top....

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 08:30:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I struggled with these until I realized like you, it's all in the front foot drag. I ollie straight, then the drag brings the board up and around and I just concentrate on keeping the back foot on the tail and where I'm gonna land on the ledge. Before that I felt like I was trying to pop shuv-it onto the ledge which gave me no control or ability to do it on anything high.

The big thing for me on getting longer slides was to aim way forward on the ledge. You'll probably slip out on a few (I find these fairly easy to catch yourself), but it helps me a lot especially on Thunders so I'm not getting on the ledge until I'm 90 degrees. The guy I know who has the best tailslides is ollie-ing like 2 feet forward onto the ledge.

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 06:03:46 PM »
I got into what I’d consider my first two real tailslides today, I stopped trying to sort of 90 into the ledge and instead setup exactly like a 50-50 and after I popped and was above the ledge I swung my front leg open (like some other people in the thread were saying) and was able to slide a bit, these felt way different and more like a proper tail side than what I was doing before. I actually made some noticeable progress today.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 06:28:09 PM »
I got into what I’d consider my first two real tailslides today, I stopped trying to sort of 90 into the ledge and instead setup exactly like a 50-50 and after I popped and was above the ledge I swung my front leg open (like some other people in the thread were saying) and was able to slide a bit, these felt way different and more like a proper tail side than what I was doing before. I actually made some noticeable progress today.

We did it boys, /thread.

Stoked for you, a proper tailslide feels very different from shitty ones where you just continue rolling out fakie or slide less than a foot and come off normal.

Now I just have to apply this to BS Tailslides, same theories should apply. I only do shit ones on low ledges where I get by with scooping my tail in, definitely not viable as you go up ledge height.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 08:56:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We did it boys, /thread.

Stoked for you, a proper tailslide feels very different from shitty ones where you just continue rolling out fakie or slide less than a foot and come off normal.

Now I just have to apply this to BS Tailslides, same theories should apply. I only do shit ones on low ledges where I get by with scooping my tail in, definitely not viable as you go up ledge height.
bs tails are definitely next on my list, I’m probably just talking out my ass here but even though they are scary to do because you are going in blind, it seems like the motion of popping up and then closing your front leg to place the tail on the ledge feels a lot more natural than how you do it for front tails

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2020, 10:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

We did it boys, /thread.

[close]
bs tails are definitely next on my list, I’m probably just talking out my ass here but even though they are scary to do because you are going in blind, it seems like the motion of popping up and then closing your front leg to place the tail on the ledge feels a lot more natural than how you do it for front tails

I've spent lots of time trying to get them anywhere near good enough, BS tricks are harder for me psychologically so I've had to tell myself to just commit to the pop. The thought of approaching something blindside gets to me, so I end up not popping my board at all. Once I start popping, my mind knows I can get up high enough to do the trick and from there its fine turning the body mechanics and timing. Then layering in more speed, getting into the ledge earlier and sliding further.

Coincidentally I came across this thread in UWTB:
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can someone please break down back tails.  I've been skating 20 years and never got them locked and now I just fling at it.  Where should I be looking or have my head.  in front toward the ledge? down at my back foot?
[close]

Took me forever to master them, but now it's the only trick I know how to do. I found out over time that many people's problem is that they get too on top of the ledge and stop sliding. The "hint" is to lean away from the ledge almost like a back 180 next to the ledge and just stick your tail on to the ledge. Your body should not really be on top of the ledge at all. I don't know if this makes sense, but i had this epiphany now it makes sense for me. Hope that helps cause they're a fun trick.
[close]

Expand Quote

On a low ledge, scoop the tail and face the upper left bolt roughly.

On a higher ledge, pop 90 and do the same fuckin thing.

To come out fakie be looking at the right bolt

Im regs so reverse this if goofy
[close]

The trick to bs tails is to not turn your upper body. Only your lower body. When sliding, you'll essentially be looking down your target line, in a sense. Same with fs nose slides.

Look at Kenny and Carroll's posture.

I've always been impressed with Jon Allie's BS Tailslide at 1:29

https://youtu.be/9dibBsXQBas?t=89

shoulders parallel with the ledge, the rotation is all hips and lower body.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:49:10 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2020, 10:46:42 PM »
BSTS is worthy of its own thread....shit, back 50-50 is a thread I could have used awhile back.....

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 01:00:17 AM »
BSTS is worthy of its own thread....shit, back 50-50 is a thread I could have used awhile back.....

I'm all for having a separate trick tip section with each trick being its own topic. First post could be all the foundational tricks needed.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »
I asked the mods to create a separate child section for trick tips, looking forward to hearing the good stuff from you guys there.

@admin do you think we can move this over?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

admin

• Administrator
  • Rep: 889
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »
I asked the mods to create a separate child section for trick tips, looking forward to hearing the good stuff from you guys there.

@admin do you think we can move this over?
Done

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 03:34:31 PM »
Thanks for tips i used to always bonk the toeside corner of my truck into the ledge and just bonk out to regular. Pointing toe and winding the shoulder helps it actually 'lock in' right like parallel on baseplate

any tips on sliding more? most tries i either just bonk right off or slide like maybe a couple inches or i get on and its super icy and i hang on slide out fakie.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 11:16:28 PM »
You have to expose yourself to the sliding sensation so that your brain and body can process and react to the situation in a controlled manner. TLDR: You gotta put in the hours.

And maybe get some indy's or some other truck that have a baseplate protruding further out then the wheels.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2020, 08:44:20 AM »
Just thought I would add in some observations I had practicing them today.

Locking your tail in - Everytime I did a big swinging FS 180 motion my tail would lock onto the ledge further and away from my back foot. I would stick and get pitched forward. I focused on getting my front door to drag sideways instead of too far ahead and that helped me get a solid lock / baseplate slide.

Eye point - Eyeballing where you want to lock your tail is really helpful. Looking far ahead feels natural since you're riding with speed and your eyes are going to be draw ahead to avoid danger. Just look slightly ahead of where you want to lock your tail, too far ahead and you'll stick your tail or won't get enough on your pop.

Coming out regular - been getting them to fakie very consistent probably 6/10 which is good by my standards but I wanted to get them good on both exits. I tried entering more parallel or angled, didn't help the exit. What helped was how far back I positioned my front foot. Coming out fakie I could position my front foot a good  inches behind my front bolts, giving me lots of room to get drag and get high on the ledge. Downside was my weight was still on the lower half of my board so the momentum carried me and the board our to take. Putting my front foot a little further up the board (1 to 2 inches behind the front bolts) allowed my weight to evenly distributed across the board, so exits to forward didn't feel like I was fighting physics. Having my front should pointing slightly forward helped guide my hips, legs, feet and board to exit forward.

I visualized Heath Kircharts FS tailside on the curved rail on Sight Unseen when thinking of how my front shoulder should point.
See 2:07
https://youtu.be/IvqgS2a-Jbs

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 07:32:52 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Re: Tailslide tips (edit: frontside)
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 04:26:02 PM »
Man these are a whole different game on actual ledges as opposed to curbs, today I was trying them on a decent sized ledge, I have some mental block when I try to pop into a tailslide even on a curb which normally takes 0 effort for me to pop on to I will end up under Ollieing and tapping the side of the curb. Tomorrow I’m recalling going to try and break the trick into two parts, the pop and then opening my front leg, I think if I can do that they will be much easier and more consistent.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
Re: Tailslide tips (edit: frontside)
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 05:03:30 PM »
i been working on these and have some takeaways

1. angle the back foot outwards, helps a lot with the rotation

2. aim further out foward. I would always bash the edge of the baseplate into the coping under-rotated, but once you start aiming forward more it gives the board the space needed to turn fully and get the baseplate properly locked into the ledge