Author Topic: Skating with glasses  (Read 5361 times)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Skating with glasses
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2020, 07:15:13 PM »
I’ve always worn glasses skating with almost no problems. Occasionally if they are an older pair they will slip off but there are cheap rubber straps you can get at Supermarkets or pharmacies to hold them on. Also helps to have extra pairs at home if they get smashed. Zennioptical.com has cheap, decent quality glasses for super cheap (also where I got my goggles that I mentioned in my other post).

They fog up a lot these days when I’m wearing a mask, but overall it’s not too bad wearing them.

Skatebeard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2022, 06:39:30 AM »
skated with glasses since i started again in my 30s... doesn't bother me at all, and it's far less hassle than snowboarding with glasses under goggles, which i did for 15 years.

Only had them fly off once or twice in 2.5 years of skating, and I can see where I'm going, win-win.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 06:41:45 AM »
always skate with glasses cause i got no choice

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2022, 09:04:10 AM »

Likewise. I have never skated w.o glasses. Duuuuuude. I would eat so much asphalt if I tried
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2022, 09:19:27 AM »
Occasionally if they are an older pair they will slip off but there are cheap rubber straps you can get at Supermarkets or pharmacies to hold them on.

Yes I believe they are also the only 100% successful method of birth control available.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2022, 09:32:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Occasionally if they are an older pair they will slip off but there are cheap rubber straps you can get at Supermarkets or pharmacies to hold them on.
[close]

Yes I believe they are also the only 100% successful method of birth control available.

In basic training (I got out after a few weeks) they called our glasses either BCG or RPG. Birth Control or Rape Prevention Glasses
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2022, 07:51:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you role them over your ears and the temple/earpieces? Please, someone post a picture. Would love to see that.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2022, 09:06:00 AM »
Wore contacts for ages but it sucks especially if the place is dusty or you smoke or you're out till late.

I wear glasses now but I need to always be wearing a cap or a beanie otherwise they slip away with sweat.

I also bought that thingy to tie them like herpes JoJo used to do but it's easy to lose / break and makes you look even more like a neeky dingus.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2022, 10:19:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In basic training (I got out after a few weeks) they called our glasses either BCG or RPG. Birth Control or Rape Prevention Glasses

Haven’t thought about those in a long time.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2022, 12:57:29 PM »
I've been doing contacts lately and it is way better than glasses.

I feel my depth perception is a little off when I wear glasses.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2022, 10:09:27 AM »
I bought a cheap pair from Zenni specifically for skating that I just keep in my car or skate bag. They were $15-20 and stay on decently well unless I take a decent slam and I never really worry about them. If they break, I'll buy another cheap pair.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2022, 06:59:45 AM »
I bought a cheap pair from Zenni specifically for skating that I just keep in my car or skate bag. They were $15-20 and stay on decently well unless I take a decent slam and I never really worry about them. If they break, I'll buy another cheap pair.

I did the same, but the Zenni ones would give me a headache. I think my prescription was wrote incorrectly.  :-\
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2022, 10:22:29 AM »
I've been wearing a strap for skating and for sports for the last 30 years. Works perfectly fine – unless you totally destroy your face when slamming

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2022, 05:15:44 AM »
I always wear glasses when skating. I also can´t touch my eyeball so contacts are out of the picture for me.

I am using these rubber hooks to keep them on my face. In case of a severe slam they will still go flying but for mild cases they will stay on.

The most annoying shit about skating in glasses is when they fog up.
usually skate with a hat to keep them from falling off but getting a pair of these now :)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2022, 07:09:16 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2022, 10:40:56 AM »
i dont like it, it makes me think about not moving my head certain ways so they dont fly off, which causes me to lose focus. i dont think you need to see that badly to be honest. tons of stuff in skating is blind anyway, you are sort of just looking at the ground to know when to start sending.

I can definitely skate better when I can see and i have a new pair that is really tight fitting to my head. But its so easy for them to fly off when you start sweating, i dont really see the point. need to get proper sport goggles like bob burnquist imo if your vision is really that bad. i am not like that guy that needs the cane by any means but i cant read text thats like 2 feet away from me.
ONTARIO CANADA

somefucker

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2022, 07:43:57 AM »
biggest prob is sweat on them

i use my more than likely sweaty shirt to wipe them which just smears everything and i feel like im skating in fog

i do skate w smaller frames to avoid this

Tomek

• Rep: 29
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2022, 09:04:26 AM »
I’ve been skating with glasses for the last 16 years or so. I’ve had them fall off maybe 5 or 6 times. Croakies or similar definitely help but I always lose them switching back and forth with prescription sunglasses.

Never had contacts, surfing without glasses is a different story

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2022, 10:32:26 AM »
biggest prob is sweat on them

i use my more than likely sweaty shirt to wipe them which just smears everything and i feel like im skating in fog
Agreed. Normally happens just as I’m setting up for something. It’s not annoying at all rolling up to the coping and having a huge drop of sweat plop right in your line of vision.

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2022, 03:37:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Likewise. I have never skated w.o glasses. Duuuuuude. I would eat so much asphalt if I tried
this totally! Without glasses I have zero depth perception, I don’t know how but when I was a teenager I skated non stop without glasses. I just got used to that feeling of popping a Ollie and feeling the front wheels already be over the stairs, now at almost 40 I need every advantage so I got contacts and it’s been absolutely a game changer for me! Glasses just did not work for me in Oregon, always fogged up the second I went in side plus all the water on them when it was raining.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2022, 09:43:43 AM »
Skating and wearing glasses since the age of 7 here.
Starting in high school and through my 30's I wore contacts.
Then they started getting uncomfortable and the hassle of taking them in and out was too much.
So I've been skating in glasses again for the last 5 years or so. With a Croakie strap.
Then about 5 months ago I slammed and completely destroyed my glasses.
Since then I've been back on contacts.
I'd love to get some Lasik and get these eyeballs fixed once and for all.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 06:13:45 PM by handsclapanin »

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2022, 03:07:02 AM »
Expand Quote
I always wear glasses when skating. I also can´t touch my eyeball so contacts are out of the picture for me.

I am using these rubber hooks to keep them on my face. In case of a severe slam they will still go flying but for mild cases they will stay on.

The most annoying shit about skating in glasses is when they fog up.
[close]
usually skate with a hat to keep them from falling off but getting a pair of these now :)
update: these work great, honestly suprised. haven’t dropped my glasses since i got them and i used to hate when they moved on my head while skating and now they just stay still. cheap solution that i’m very happy with.  ;D

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2022, 07:54:11 AM »
Fabric Plaster wrapped round the end of the stem that goes behind your ear solves the sweat slip... much easier that straps, rubber bands etc

cky enthusiast

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2022, 08:57:02 AM »

doin a zenni raid tomorrow- my daily drivers are super thrashed and irritating my nose

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2022, 06:23:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Haven’t thought about those in a long time.

Hah! BCGs... I remember trying to tell myself I looked like Rev. Run. Wishful thinking.
My vision can't be corrected with contacts, so yeah I go Full Horace Grant when skating. Rec specs, elastic strap, the works. They don't fall off or break. Do I look cool? Well, that was never going to be an option, glasses or not.

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2022, 06:31:48 AM »
Also... The Oakley frames with the straight rubberized earpieces that wrap around the back of the head stay on really well. Got those for less hectic applications when I don't need the Horaces.

dioniending

• Rep: 0
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2022, 12:29:55 AM »
It's a pity that you broke your glasses; I hope that this will not happen to you again. I usually only ride with glasses on, as I order special holders for myself so that they don't fly off my nose while I'm riding. I'm not comfortable wearing lenses, so I have no choice but to wear glasses. Sometimes it's uncomfortable, but in most cases, I don't even notice them and don't feel any discomfort. I have special polarized sunglasses for driving that I also wear while riding, and they protect my eyes from glare, which is also very convenient. Be careful when you ride next time, and I think you will be fine.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2022, 08:09:32 AM »
I've been experimenting with skating without glasses the last few days and it's working out quite well. I legally need them to drive and to see life in HD so I'm practically always wearing them. I thought I needed them to skate for depth perception and all that. Turns out I have a lot more confidence not worrying about breaking my only pair of glasses and I also look like less of a fucking dork. My favourite glasses are bent to shit from getting sucker punched so I've been sporting these super ugly and partially too big looking $60 Clearly frames and just couldn't take it anymore. Best decision I've made lately apart from switching to cupsoles.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2022, 01:50:26 PM »
I've got astigmatism and started wearing glasses around three years ago. I tried out the glasses from a guy I studied with and was like woah, better get these eyes checked.
I wear them mostly when I working on the computer hours at the time, and sometimes when I'm out and about.
I can't wear them while skating though. I can't determine distances while in speed, and my timing is totally off..
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2022, 02:23:46 PM »
worn glasses my whole life, never had a pair fall off my face ever or bother me while doing any activity. get your specs adjusted to fit your dome.