Author Topic: Skating with glasses  (Read 5362 times)

FrozenIndustries

Skating with glasses
« on: October 08, 2020, 02:07:21 PM »
I wore glasses when I started skating but switched to contacts shortly after and never attempted to wear them on the board again until this past spring when I ran out of contacts.  For whatever reason, I felt like it slightly improved my skating but I stopped once I got more lenses.

My contacts have been really nothing my eyes lately and I am currently trying to make the permanent switch to glasses. Had them fall off the other day and have been rocking a Croakies strap while I skate.

Anyone skate in glasses long-term and want to share anything noteworthy about it?

formula420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
Re: Skating with glasses
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 03:47:52 PM »
I skate in glasses all the time. I always wear a cap because it keeps them on way better. They still fall sometimes but I got pretty good at catching them

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 04:17:55 PM »
I just started wearing contacts after only wearing glasses for my whole life.

A few things I’ve noticed about skating with glasses that I get a lot less shit in my eyes if I’m wearing glasses, but I generally skate better with contacts because it’s one less thing I have to worry about.

But, regardless of skating better in contacts I’m hella self conscious because with out glasses I look like a hammerhead shark. But with glasses I look like diego todds creepy uncle, so it’s a lose lose for me. But I’m sure you’re better off.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 05:47:06 PM »
Every summer I am reminded that Fall and Spring are so much better for bespectacled skating. Depending on the fit of my glasses, sweat pretty much acts as a lubricant that helps them fly off my face constantly.

I started wearing croakies this past summer, they help but I feel somewhat self conscious in them, especially with short hair. I feel like I have a rat tail when I catch a glimpse of myself in a shadow or a mirrored object.

Theres no plus side besides being able to see, I have never been able to see to well with contacts but I should get some honestly.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 06:00:34 PM »
I started wearing glasses maybe a year ago, most of the time it’s i don’t notice them, sweating through summer is a pain when I get drips on the lens and the worst slam I’ve ever taken was while I had glasses on, shook them and the beanie I had in clear across the lot 

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 01:25:19 AM »
I always wear glasses when skating. I also can´t touch my eyeball so contacts are out of the picture for me.

I am using these rubber hooks to keep them on my face. In case of a severe slam they will still go flying but for mild cases they will stay on.

The most annoying shit about skating in glasses is when they fog up.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 02:57:53 AM »
I also have to skate in glasses since contacts aren’t an option for me.  I’ve actually never skated without glasses.

Wish I had some thrilling story to share, but it’s just sort of a long-running, uninteresting comedy of errors: fog and sweat on lenses, slipping down the nose, falling off on slams, scratching lenses.  Those hooks look very nerdy (no offense), but I think I need to get some too, haha.  I already look like a huge dork, so I think the rubber hooks might actually help complete the look.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

eSK3

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 06:11:31 AM »
Best advice on can give a fellow glasses wearer: Once they start to slip off from skating just go to any eyeglass place and ask for an adjustment cause over time frames expand around your skull. Will keep them from coming off even when slamming. Also always opt for the insurance on them. Never know when they’ll come off your face skating and get replaced.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 09:15:30 AM »
Best advice on can give a fellow glasses wearer: Once they start to slip off from skating just go to any eyeglass place and ask for an adjustment cause over time frames expand around your skull. Will keep them from coming off even when slamming. Also always opt for the insurance on them. Never know when they’ll come off your face skating and get replaced.

Preach. Warby Parker replaces your lenses if you scratch them within a year, but I haven't tried doing this with severely scratched glasses from skating.

As someone else in the thread mentioned, frames slipping down your nose is a huge pain. I feel like I have a permanent scrunch on my face when I skate and it makes me look like a jerk.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »
Wear my old pair when I skate so it's not as bad if they get scratched. Also wear a cap, I feel like that helps hold em on... I also have a chain rope thing, like old guy style. That helps and. Looks really cool!
Whoa. Danger.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 05:03:32 PM »
Sick, glad to know a few other people on here skate in glasses. I just got a new pair and they fit really nicely...haven't had to wear the Croakies but might anyway just to not fuck them up. I want to try those hooks too.

I just started wearing contacts after only wearing glasses for my whole life.

A few things I’ve noticed about skating with glasses that I get a lot less shit in my eyes if I’m wearing glasses, but I generally skate better with contacts because it’s one less thing I have to worry about.

But, regardless of skating better in contacts I’m hella self conscious because with out glasses I look like a hammerhead shark. But with glasses I look like diego todds creepy uncle, so it’s a lose lose for me. But I’m sure you’re better off.

Nah, I look like an idiot no matter what. But yeah, weird that I feel like I skate better in glasses, maybe because the frames block my peripheral vision so I am not contactly being distracted.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 06:49:30 PM by FrozenIndustries »

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 06:29:46 PM »
Anyone ever go full Horace Grant?

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »
Take them off as soon as I start sweating and dripping on my glasses

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 05:50:02 PM »
I don't miss my glasses at all. I had laser eye surgery done while I was in the navy for free. I absolutely needed them at night skating, but without them, my aim was off. It kept slipping off/around my nose.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »
I don't miss my glasses at all. I had laser eye surgery done while I was in the navy for free. I absolutely needed them at night skating, but without them, my aim was off. It kept slipping off/around my nose.

I really regret not getting my eyes done when I was in, but navy doctors scared me and I eas’d being to chicken shit to have it done. Do you know if the VA does them?

Diocletian

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 07:11:48 PM »
Been skating in glasses for as long as I can remember and am used to them sliding down my face because no matter what temp I'm a heavy sweater. Just the other day they flew off my face when I ate shit in the bowl and now my lenses are scratched pretty bad. Isn't the first time it's happened either. Just is what it is...I'll take scratched lenses and frames over a broken/fractured bone any day of the week.

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 07:39:44 PM »
I've got straight up coke bottle, bubbles level glasses. Had to stop wearing them because they're too expensive and just too god damned heavy to stay on. Have contacts that I skate in but pro tip for when I did skate with glasses:

Only slightly less nerdy than those rubber-reach-around snails other homie posted- but rubber bands on the ends of the arm works wonders. That along with a tight cap usually does the trick.

The reality is when you're skating- you're going to get sweaty and glasses are just going to fall off. For me, I had to choose between bs flips and glasses and I chose the former.

Anyway, some companies make the leashes with gold chains and shit, bling your shit out!

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 07:50:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really regret not getting my eyes done when I was in, but navy doctors scared me and I eas’d being to chicken shit to have it done. Do you know if the VA does them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3nW9fXZwZM&feature=share

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 02:32:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3nW9fXZwZM&feature=share
I don't think the VA does. The navy docs that did my eyes worked on all the jet pilots and navy seals so I could trust them.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 03:13:37 AM »
I started skating in glasses after just getting too lazy to put contacts in every time, it's not that bad really if you've got a pair that stay on your face ok. Got laser eye surgery last year though. It's definitely worth it if you can afford it. People with good eyesight don't realise how lucky they are just to be able to see properly
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 08:32:03 AM »
I skate with glasses more often than not. They usually stay on surprisingly. Sometime sure, they’ll fly of, but not as much as you’d think. Only on a really bad slam. Plus they are already so scratched up, I don’t care.

I’m sure a lot of it depends on the frames and how they fit though.

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 10:43:26 AM »
Not ideal, but I try to keep an old or beater pair on hand. I've found glasses with a matte finish tend to stay on a bit better.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 03:38:53 PM »

Oh man back when I was playing high school rugby I wanted contacts for that and my dad told me to wear those. Even though they were not allowed in our league.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 07:22:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh man back when I was playing high school rugby I wanted contacts for that and my dad told me to wear those. Even though they were not allowed in our league.

I had to wear a pair of those jawns for a couple seasons of little league and it was mortifying haha.  I’d have to avoid all mirrors while wearing them so I didn’t have to be constantly reminded that I looked like King of the Mole People.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »

I never went full Horace Grant, but when I was 17 I had reconstructive facial surgery in like late august. I was still recouping by Halloween, but ceremony was playing with have heart. I really wanted to go so I ditched my glasses and dressed up as Bill Laimbeer so I could go and my mom wouldn’t be too worried.

KoldStrejke

• Rep: 0
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 08:22:46 AM »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2020, 12:44:23 PM »
When I get new frames, which is rare, I try em on and go full tilt jumping up an down to see if they stay put well enough. Also freaks out the people at lens crafters.
Whoa. Danger.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2020, 07:09:22 PM »

I wear goggles like that sometimes when I do Brazilian jiu-jitsu because I’ve had eye injuries, but never tried them skating. They fog up like crazy but are otherwise good.