Author Topic: Fitness thread / Healthy recipes  (Read 13621 times)

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Fitness thread / Healthy recipes
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2018, 11:58:54 PM »
Here’s a weird one. Putting my kid in her car seat, carrying her when she was younger, slouching, and ultimately getting older, I’ve developed slight lower back pain and a weaker core. Do you engage your core all day to prevent slouch and just maintain it regularly? I do engage during certain moves at work, but what about all day? Read both sides on yes and no. Apparently it could fuck with your breathing. No idea.

I do workout and do core exercises, I’m just curious on to how to go about it. I don’t recall doing so in my early 20s, but my core also wasn’t weak. Thanks

After you are fatigued after a skate session, find some stairs and do as many sets of sprinting up them as you can (two at a time). Also box-jumping the stairs (three at a time) back-to-back until the top on both feet or one foot will have your core aching if you push yourself hard enough.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2018, 12:51:25 PM »
Expand Quote
I do meal prep when I'm on my shit and being healthy. One thing I make is an indian dish called saag that me and my wife both love. Couple of pounds of kale and ruby chard reduced over a bunch of potatoes fried in ghee and then tons of  spices - an entire bulb of garlic, garam masala, cumin seeds, ginger, chili peppers, and some other shit. Lasts about 3 days or so. And then we'll often get a whole chicken and strip it and supplement with that. My other staples are sardines, hard boiled eggs, avocadoes, nuts and fruit. Maybe some whole kale leaves. The last stuff is all just easy to throw into a lunch with no prep.
[close]

Yes. Meal prep is the only reasonable solution in the long run, if you have a job and don't want to spend your life in the kitchen.

I started doing more shit in the oven. A couple of pounds of fish/chicken + veggies in tomato sauce and boiled rice, 5 lunches done in like 25 minutes.

So you heat-up seafood at work?

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2018, 07:28:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I do meal prep when I'm on my shit and being healthy. One thing I make is an indian dish called saag that me and my wife both love. Couple of pounds of kale and ruby chard reduced over a bunch of potatoes fried in ghee and then tons of  spices - an entire bulb of garlic, garam masala, cumin seeds, ginger, chili peppers, and some other shit. Lasts about 3 days or so. And then we'll often get a whole chicken and strip it and supplement with that. My other staples are sardines, hard boiled eggs, avocadoes, nuts and fruit. Maybe some whole kale leaves. The last stuff is all just easy to throw into a lunch with no prep.
[close]

Yes. Meal prep is the only reasonable solution in the long run, if you have a job and don't want to spend your life in the kitchen.

I started doing more shit in the oven. A couple of pounds of fish/chicken + veggies in tomato sauce and boiled rice, 5 lunches done in like 25 minutes.
[close]

Why not?

Oh....your that bitch
Gentleman ninja warlock

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2018, 11:07:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Why not?

Oh....your that bitch

It's pangasius. White fish with almost no typical fishy smell. Indian dudes from IT are heating up their food and it is no problem. Also, the place is designed for a couple of hundred people.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2021, 04:28:53 AM »
I want to get into making more fried hashes and frying potatoes more in general. Any recommendations for how to fry potatoes? Which potato varieties to get? Do you always boil before fry?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2021, 07:48:24 AM »
Yeah....I'd say boil first or those grated potato pancakes have worked ok for me.....

I dig making Greek potatoes where you paraboil, then marinade over night in lemon, mustard, spices, olive oil, bake them the next day....

Not really the breakfast jam you're shooting for though.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »
Oooof, that sounds amazing though J Soy, I might have to give that a go! Cheers

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2021, 10:48:02 AM »
I usually just microwave potatoes before frying.  If you over cook them in the microwave then they can fall apart a little bit during the frying process.  Usually that yields crunchy bits.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2021, 11:04:45 AM »
I want to get into making more fried hashes and frying potatoes more in general. Any recommendations for how to fry potatoes? Which potato varieties to get? Do you always boil before fry?

The biggest thing that people often forget is to dry the potatoes if you boil them first. The drier the better they will fry up.

I’d you wanna to the baking route for say potato wedges, when you’re boiling them first add in some baking soda. It helps create some texture. Right after you strain the water, shake them around in your pot/strainer. They will rub up on each other and This again creates texture and roughness which will help to make them crispier.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2021, 12:16:59 AM »
Anyone has any experience with leg muscles imbalance? I'm 100% sure most skateboarders have this, since you cannot perfectly divide your skateboarding sessions to 50% in regular and goofy stances, but I have only noticed it now, when I did a forced split with one leg on the board.

I've been heavily preferring my regular push leg that was not injured and can now really tell that the other leg is weaker. Seems like I need to start a routine with some unilateral exercises. Makes me wonder about the skateboarder that are known for their power and only regular stance skateboarding ... seems like a recipe for major imbalances.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2021, 07:10:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The biggest thing that people often forget is to dry the potatoes if you boil them first. The drier the better they will fry up.

I’d you wanna to the baking route for say potato wedges, when you’re boiling them first add in some baking soda. It helps create some texture. Right after you strain the water, shake them around in your pot/strainer. They will rub up on each other and This again creates texture and roughness which will help to make them crispier.

If you are feeling lazy you can bake them off in a 400 degree oven for an hour, then fry.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2021, 07:39:43 AM »
Anyone has any experience with leg muscles imbalance? I'm 100% sure most skateboarders have this, since you cannot perfectly divide your skateboarding sessions to 50% in regular and goofy stances, but I have only noticed it now, when I did a forced split with one leg on the board.

I've been heavily preferring my regular push leg that was not injured and can now really tell that the other leg is weaker. Seems like I need to start a routine with some unilateral exercises. Makes me wonder about the skateboarder that are known for their power and only regular stance skateboarding ... seems like a recipe for major imbalances.

Not a PT expert but 1 legged squats / calf raises off a step seem to be a good start.

Look up Kyle Brown on IG, lots of skate specific workouts that I find helpful.
https://www.instagram.com/dr.kylebrown/?hl=en

I find that if I do the ankle strengthening exercises (flicks w/ resistance brands), my kickflips work out better and I don't ninja kick them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2021, 08:32:51 AM »
so you're saying you don't want to ninja kick your flips? I have always done that, but it sure does make them a lot harder to do ... maybe I should strengthen my ankles as well

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2021, 10:14:55 AM »
so you're saying you don't want to ninja kick your flips? I have always done that, but it sure does make them a lot harder to do ... maybe I should strengthen my ankles as well

I would ninja kick them, if that meant I could catch them all boned out and 4 ft high.

Get on that ankle strengthening, helped reduce the severity of ankle injuries, sped up recovery time and reduced re-injury instances.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1379
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2021, 11:48:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not a PT expert but 1 legged squats / calf raises off a step seem to be a good start.

I find that if I do the ankle strengthening exercises (flicks w/ resistance brands), my kickflips work out better and I don't ninja kick them.

this advice seems to be pretty spot on. I sustained the worst ankle injury I've had back in January and am still not back to even close to normal. My pop sucks, straight up, but it's getting better and will take time. In the meantime, PT had me train to get back to running and while the ligaments in my ankle are still tight and the fascia requires working everyday, the rest of my lower body is stronger than before the injury.

Since February, with with gradual changes in length, rep count, and intensity, I've been doing the same exercise for both legs.

-1 leg balance calf raises on the edge of stair. stretch and strengthen. 3x10
-1 leg balance heel drop from stair (stand on one foot, extend other leg, drop heel of extended leg to floor) 3x10
-1 leg balance on pile of pillows 1 minute each leg
-monster walks with level 3,4,5 resistance band around ankles/calves (as many as I can handle)
-1 leg squats until butt touches chair (3x10)
-deep but short length lunges (1x10)
-resistance band exercise (stretching in each direction- medial, lateral, posterior, anterior- 100xdirection, 1 leg at a time, increasing resistance level when it's easy)

I'm trying to find a jump rope this week. Although my pop sucks, I'm running faster than I was before the injury and I am stronger everywhere but the ankle, allowing the ankle to get strong over time. Anyways, those exercises have been super helpful at equalizing imbalances. If you're going to try any of them, try to be mindful of the direction your knees are pointing as you squat. Allowing the knees to knock inward has the potential to cause issues later down the line. Pay mind to the distribution of weight on your feet too, try to keep it equal. Favoriing even one side of the foot, such as leaning toward the outer edges while standing still, creates a lot of imbalance.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2021, 09:04:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

this advice seems to be pretty spot on. I sustained the worst ankle injury I've had back in January and am still not back to even close to normal. My pop sucks, straight up, but it's getting better and will take time. In the meantime, PT had me train to get back to running and while the ligaments in my ankle are still tight and the fascia requires working everyday, the rest of my lower body is stronger than before the injury.

Since February, with with gradual changes in length, rep count, and intensity, I've been doing the same exercise for both legs.

-1 leg balance calf raises on the edge of stair. stretch and strengthen. 3x10
-1 leg balance heel drop from stair (stand on one foot, extend other leg, drop heel of extended leg to floor) 3x10
-1 leg balance on pile of pillows 1 minute each leg
-monster walks with level 3,4,5 resistance band around ankles/calves (as many as I can handle)
-1 leg squats until butt touches chair (3x10)
-deep but short length lunges (1x10)
-resistance band exercise (stretching in each direction- medial, lateral, posterior, anterior- 100xdirection, 1 leg at a time, increasing resistance level when it's easy)

I'm trying to find a jump rope this week. Although my pop sucks, I'm running faster than I was before the injury and I am stronger everywhere but the ankle, allowing the ankle to get strong over time. Anyways, those exercises have been super helpful at equalizing imbalances. If you're going to try any of them, try to be mindful of the direction your knees are pointing as you squat. Allowing the knees to knock inward has the potential to cause issues later down the line. Pay mind to the distribution of weight on your feet too, try to keep it equal. Favoriing even one side of the foot, such as leaning toward the outer edges while standing still, creates a lot of imbalance.

A friend of mine had a bad achilleas injury from overtraining - he would run 10k before joining us at the park, run 21k a few times a week. Was off skateboarding and running for 8 months but he's finally back on board and doing 10k again. He swears by the heel drop and calf raises but with a controlled descent.

Skipping is great for overall cardio / calf strengthening, kickboxers and boxers live and die by their rope work. Start with shorter sets (2 minutes with a break) and you'll eventually work your way up to 10 or even 20 minutes. I need to have a podcast or video on if not the boredom kills me.

Cardio work too is overlooked in skateboarding; being able to recover to your resting heart rate after exertion (doing a trick or line) is going to give you longevity in your sessions. Even more so as you get older and your legs / cardio aren't that of a 20-year old.

Edit:
If you're prone to ankle injuries go visit a podiatrist. Correcting your arch not only prevents recurring injuries also affects the entire musculoskeletal chain - knees, hips, spine, back, shoulders and neck. Another friend of mine had a bad ankle tweak when we were younger and didn't get it rehabbed, now he's suffering from a misaligned hip which in turn is causing him back and neck pains.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2021, 11:15:42 PM »
Don't underestimate how skating impacts your lead leg.....my back for messed up from hunching over pushing....just a perma-muscle spasm.