Author Topic: How fast did you accidentally break your board after buying it?  (Read 3384 times)

Sad dad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: How fast did you accidentally break your board after buying it?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 06:19:23 AM »
Two days - broke it backside lipsliding a low flatbar. I'd had other breaks with lipslides, both frontside and backside. After that I stopped doing them altogether since I couldn't keep buying boards so often. Almost every board I ever broke was either in the middle of the board skating a flatbar or jumping off something sizable and catching a shove-it variation or flip trick wrong. I kinda wonder if I'll ever break a board again now that my skating is exclusively low impact.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 06:41:16 AM »
I haven't broke too many boards really. I focused a Plan B Rick Howard in 1992 and I'm still bummed that I did that. The only boards that I have broke skating were Bakers and a Flip.
Flip Boulala got a crack in the center by landing shitty off a 6 stair.
The first Baker boards, 2 friends and I broke about 4 of them. Simple shit even.
Frontside flip off a sidewalk and the tail snapped.
Kickflip on a bank.
My 2 buddies, basically the same.
The Flip was about a week old. All of the Bakers were within a week. These were the first ones, the Greco Sid Vicious graphic on 3 of them, and the BAKER logo 7.75 I believe. It wasn't the 7.56 for sure.

chomperz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2020, 08:15:29 AM »
About 8 years ago, I filmed and edited an edit for my local, and as a gesture of gratitude, they sold me a brand deck for shop deck price and I ended up choosing a Foundation board. Set it up, drove to the park. Warming up, hit a few rock fakies, disasters, and pivot fakies, and did a boneless on the big bank. Tail completely snapped off, only hanging on by the grip. Last time i ever bought any tum yeto product.

switchfakie

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2020, 08:52:17 AM »
About five minutes after setting up. Snapped the nose off trying to treflip. I was pissed, but it was my own damn fault for landing so nose heavy. Roughly a dozen decks later I figured out how to quit landing so far forward and snapping noses. Went through five boards one month like that. I'm a slow learner. Pretty sure I have the five minute board snap on video. I'll see if I can post it here.

dude can you help me, how do you stop landing so nose heavy? i learned tre flips a month ago and already broke 4 boards (the most recent two days ago). I really want to practice my tre's but i cant afford to keep buying so many boards. My last resort is to have a separate VX setup (the carbon fiber board from santa cruz) just for tre flips and bring 2 boards with me to the park

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 09:12:53 AM »
I got one of those enjoi price point decks a while back because it was so cheap. Did one hardflip and did that thing where you land heavy on the tail and smash your front foot down... that deck barely lasted 10 minutes before it was in splinters.

I'll never buy a price point deck because of that again

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 09:17:33 AM »
I broke or "Delammed" a World board within five hours.  This was back when World/Blind/Plan B were the shit.  The plies entire tail end of the deck just split apart while doing/landing a bs 180 heel off a curb cut.

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 09:38:25 AM »
About three years ago I was kickflipping this drop and broke a board. I set up a brand new Zero deck and broke it on the very first attempt on that same kickflip. Landed the trick on the broken Zero though haha.

rupertspupkin

• Rep: 11
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2020, 11:34:05 AM »
Sitting on the sidewalk, setting up my first Ishod twin tail. Start skating down the street, couple of ollies, I do a front shuv up a curb and slip out and the board literally rolls down an entire city block and gets ran over by a FedEx truck going through an intersection. In retrospect it was pretty hilarious.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2020, 12:14:37 PM »
shot a brand new complete into a river after 20 min of skating

the same river took another board from me but that one was run down as hell anyways.

usually there'd be a wire spun up to catch the boards, but the city often removed it and i didnt check that day if the wire was up. got saved by the wire a couple times and once i had to make a crazy and very painful slide so i can catch the board with foot somehow and saved it, but totally wrecked myself.

that river sure ate a lot of boards from the others, too. my best friend also lost one setup to the waters.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2020, 12:38:29 PM »
I always rode Foundation boards from the early Swank zine days to Steve Olson doing nollie hardflips in a Tacoma parking lot but broke one of their decks with my very first line.

I rolled up to Ft. Mason and was excited to see Karl Watson and some other heads there. I half-cabbed onto the manual pad and kickflipped off. The tail broke off when my very light back foot connected with it. Karl gave me a "that sucks" look and I swapped out the broken deck for a Real board at the shop.

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2020, 01:10:03 PM »
Set up a brand new workshop board around 10 years ago and first trick did a switch heel down a 3 stair, snapped the nose off.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2020, 01:17:30 PM »
Paul Shier Blueprint, second day I skated it I broke the nose or tail on a switch front shuv on flat.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2020, 02:07:23 PM »
Two days - broke it backside lipsliding a low flatbar. I'd had other breaks with lipslides, both frontside and backside. After that I stopped doing them altogether since I couldn't keep buying boards so often. Almost every board I ever broke was either in the middle of the board skating a flatbar or jumping off something sizable and catching a shove-it variation or flip trick wrong. I kinda wonder if I'll ever break a board again now that my skating is exclusively low impact.

i've literally cracked or broken a board every time i've ever attempted to lipslide a flatbar, with the exception of fakie front board for some odd reason

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2020, 02:08:29 PM »
It was 1993

Bought a new Danny Way lawnmower man slick

Ok, ok, but look at it..! It was a beaut and he probably hadn’t killed anyone with a brick yet. Allegedly. And this was plan b 1, when it was actually good.

http://artofskateboarding.com/Pg/aos_pg_detail.asp?prod_id=4647

So I set it up on the train. Roll out the station. Hit a stone. Zips into road. Lorry (truck) runs straight over it.

So, a wall hanger? Nope, bump into a friend whose initials were also coincidentally Danny W who decided to put the slick to the test by trying to “snowboard” on it down the hills of Bristol.

On the bright side, I cleared my first double flight that day, and the Lloyds blocks for the first time on a replacement board. On the bad side that board didn’t last the day either because decks were basically made of toothpicks and marketing

30somethinghasbeen

• Rep: -4
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »
I still remember breaking a Brayden Szafranski Baker board in 10 minutes.  Backside 180 down a six stair, landed kinda heavy and the board snapped in half nearly on the truck.  That was an anomaly though, usually my boards last 1-3 months depending on weather. 

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2020, 02:35:29 PM »
Plan B Jeremy Wray praying hands.  Ollie, shove it, flat ground kickflip *snap*.  Under 30 seconds.
do more yoga!

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2020, 02:38:35 PM »
First day, fs flip on flatground warming up. 20
Minutes?

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2020, 04:00:03 PM »
1999, 15th birthday, i get a brand new board, my second board ever. Consolidated, probably 7.75. First session was fine, second session, I'm trying heelflips and to my amazement, land one, my first heelflip ever. Try to get a second, after a few attempts i stomp it, snapping it just in front of my front truck. I probably weighed 100lbs at the time.

I haven't landed a heelflip since.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2020, 04:27:11 PM »
First trick of the day, lipslide on a flatbar at the local, and it folded in half.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1535
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2020, 05:11:07 PM »
Fakie tre has been a frequent offender in my life.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

flintstagram

• Rep: 80
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2020, 10:51:55 PM »
Expand Quote
About five minutes after setting up. Snapped the nose off trying to treflip. I was pissed, but it was my own damn fault for landing so nose heavy. Roughly a dozen decks later I figured out how to quit landing so far forward and snapping noses. Went through five boards one month like that. I'm a slow learner. Pretty sure I have the five minute board snap on video. I'll see if I can post it here.
[close]

dude can you help me, how do you stop landing so nose heavy? i learned tre flips a month ago and already broke 4 boards (the most recent two days ago). I really want to practice my tre's but i cant afford to keep buying so many boards. My last resort is to have a separate VX setup (the carbon fiber board from santa cruz) just for tre flips and bring 2 boards with me to the park

I can try.

You just have to force yourself to stay over your back truck. I make it a point to move my head to where it's in line with my back truck. I look straight down and see the toe side wheel by my back foot, and I know my head is right. After that it's flick hard with that back foot and keep my shoulders closed otherwise you're asking to under rotate the shuv portion. Tell yourself you're going to jump straight up, not forward. You feel like you're really leaning back super far the first few times you do this, but you're not, and with enough time it feels less shitty.

I find myself thinking as I'm rolling, head even with back truck, closed shoulders, jump straight up, land bolts. Sounds goofy as hell, but it's been working well. It feels so much better catching it like that than when you're trying to jump forward with it. Just jump straight up and let your board do the flip. I also try not to stomp down too hard. Being a 260lb skater, that's not always the easiest thing to do.

If you notice in the clip where I broke the board, I was too far forward and as a result my front foot was too close to the ground. The act of putting my back foot on and trying to roll away was what caused the break. I also opened up my shoulders to try to force the catch. All that does is takes away momentum from the scoop, as you're using your force to turn your body instead of spin the board. I try to land pretty close to both feet at the same time. Front foot still catches it, but back foot is on the board immediately after, no stanky leg dangle here.

Coincidentally, I bought a flight deck for this very reason after my five deck month. I have yet to set up the flight deck.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2020, 11:42:01 PM »
In 2001 or so I got a new Element deck, skated the curb next to my house with my brother. I forget what he was riding but he was definitely eyeing my new board. I got some grinds in, 180s, bonelesses. Then a feeling hit me. “I’m gonna go inside and take a shit.” I called to him.
He told me he was going to ride my new deck, I said it was fine.
Cut to me wrapping it up in the bathroom, and he knocks on the door, “dude, I broke your deck.”
I wash my hands and open the door and he has the board, and it looks fine. “Yeah man I went for a front nose and when I came down it broke.”
He holds it up to reveal that the tail had split up the middle, vertically.
I was so dumbfounded and he said “it still rides..” I didn’t believe him so we took it outside. It rode but you could feel each side moving independent of each other.
I asked my mom for a new one but my brother told her it still rode and we probably didn’t have the money anyway. He got the next new deck and I had to make that one last haha

Also I broke a skate mental on a flat ground fakie tre after like 2 days. And I think I broke a few blanks in a couple sessions as well.

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2020, 07:14:24 AM »
I don't break boards but about 8 years my homie bought a Chocolate board, did 2 kickflips and broke it. He's known for stomping tricks but with that board it took 5 minutes. He skated Almost Double Impacts for 4 years straight after that, haha.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2020, 07:56:08 AM »
Fastest was probably within an hour of setting it up and skating it for the first time, on a flatground kickflip too. It was a shop deck, and luckily the shop was cool enough to replace it for free once they heard about it.

Trilogy

• Rep: -230
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2020, 09:33:19 AM »
2 days, but broke it on the first skate sessions after 20 minutes of skating, a Zoo York board around 2005.

about 25 minutes after i bought a Foundation board around 2012.

both boards were team editions.

I broke a lot of boards pretty fast back in the day.

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2020, 09:57:16 AM »
after reading through this can we all agree that blitz dist boards were the worst?

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2020, 12:16:50 PM »
Plan B Jeremy Wray praying hands.  Ollie, shove it, flat ground kickflip *snap*.  Under 30 seconds.

The old World brands had the best teams and graphics, but man their boards sucked.  I wonder if the teams got different wood or if they just set up multiple decks a week?

diogenesofkokomo

• Rep: 21
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2020, 03:52:50 PM »
Like 15 minutes lol. I set up a new board after work one afternoon and was cruising to the little spot I like in my neighborhood, decided to ollie a little rock gap outside an apartment building, flew too close to the sun trying to one foot it and landed with my foot right on the tip of the nose and snapped the shit off.

BurntPorridge

• Rep: -4
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »
Probably a combination of being light-footed and skating relatively low impact, but in the 12 or so years skating I've only ever accidentally snapped a three month old one trying a hardflip.

I'd be curious at the longest some of you have made a board last though. My parents used to be pretty tight on money so I'd have to make boards last for over half a year, do not miss those razor-tail days.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2020, 04:14:31 PM »
Ray Barbee firm board around 1994. I had just set it up and the board had heaps of concave. My mate loved the shape and asked to have the first trick on it (back then we had almost no access to a skateshop so we used to kind of share boards). He tried a heelflip of a curb and snapped the tail.
In 1996 i had bought a mad circle board and snapped it first trick on a lipslide on a flatbar.
On another occasion, around 1999 i was living in the UK and had gotten a new blank deck. Perfect shape, snapped on the first trick i tried- heelflip on flat. Got back on the train, went to the shop for a refund, they told me they could not refund or replace. Never bought anything from them again.

Why should you get a refund if you snap the board?