Author Topic: How fast did you accidentally break your board after buying it?  (Read 3394 times)

sus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
Re: How fast did you accidentally break your board after buying it?
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Ray Barbee firm board around 1994. I had just set it up and the board had heaps of concave. My mate loved the shape and asked to have the first trick on it (back then we had almost no access to a skateshop so we used to kind of share boards). He tried a heelflip of a curb and snapped the tail.
In 1996 i had bought a mad circle board and snapped it first trick on a lipslide on a flatbar.
On another occasion, around 1999 i was living in the UK and had gotten a new blank deck. Perfect shape, snapped on the first trick i tried- heelflip on flat. Got back on the train, went to the shop for a refund, they told me they could not refund or replace. Never bought anything from them again.
[close]
Why should you get a refund if you snap the board?

a board should be able to handle flatground on the first day. I get if you snap it on a 9+ stair or youre a bigass person that weighs a ton to where the board has trouble even keeping shape when you ride it, but if you're an average joe skating flat, there's no reason your board should break on the first day. Even if you are the type of person to stomp your tricks.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 03:19:22 PM by sus »

El Nugjar

• Rep: -19
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2020, 07:52:31 PM »
Spent more time setting it up than skating it. I pushed for about 500ft or so, popped a nollie flip. Upon landing the tail exploded. CCS graphic deck that looked like an Ed Templeton/toy machine rip off.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2020, 08:03:04 PM »

My buddy bought the 1st toy machine barley board. We loved EE3 and he was pumped.
He did a few ollies, i wanted to try it, did a pop shuv and broke the nose off.
Cool thing is, sent it to tum yeto, by mail with a letter, and got a replacement. No questions asked.
I’ve kept my eye out for another one to make it up to him. One day...

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2020, 12:02:20 AM »
after reading through this can we all agree that blitz dist boards were the worst?

i back this

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2020, 12:54:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ray Barbee firm board around 1994. I had just set it up and the board had heaps of concave. My mate loved the shape and asked to have the first trick on it (back then we had almost no access to a skateshop so we used to kind of share boards). He tried a heelflip of a curb and snapped the tail.
In 1996 i had bought a mad circle board and snapped it first trick on a lipslide on a flatbar.
On another occasion, around 1999 i was living in the UK and had gotten a new blank deck. Perfect shape, snapped on the first trick i tried- heelflip on flat. Got back on the train, went to the shop for a refund, they told me they could not refund or replace. Never bought anything from them again.
[close]

a board should be able to handle flatground on the first day. I get if you snap it on a 9+ stair or youre a bigass person that weighs a ton to where the board has trouble even keeping shape when you ride it, but if you're an average joe skating flat, there's no reason your board should break on the first day. Even if you are the type of person to stomp your tricks.

Why should you get a refund if you snap the board?
[close]
Legitimate questions. Manufacturer defect. I've only experienced this with shoes but was glad I self advocated when the product purchased absolutely failed me.

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2020, 01:27:19 AM »
First session, flatground heelflip with stomp landing. Happened couple times. IMO stiff new deck snaps way easier than after couple sesh.

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2020, 07:22:23 AM »
I bought an element feather light at abf skate shop in north Brunswick nj

About an hour later the nose broke off doing bs 180 down a long 3.

I went back and the owner gave me a free abf deck

That was really nice of her

I remember bitching that I wanted another element deck.

I wish I’d been more appreciative.

Was a small shop above her flower shop and not her fault.

randy

• Rep: -20
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2020, 07:34:47 AM »
I was in Rotterdam and bought a Carl shipman stereo deck.  Was messing around outside the shop (can’t remember the name.. maybe Left ?). 
We were getting ready to hit the amazing skate park and I did a tiny pop shuv.  Snap. Nose came straight down to the ground. 
The guy in the shop was so cool. Hooked me up with a new board ( a Mike carrol ?  No shipmans left).
He said it was a defect and was sending it back. 
Long story but we ended up meeting every pro on the euro comp circuit at the park.  Heath , Kareem mj. You name them.  Was the best session I’ve ever been ‘part of ‘.   Great atmosphere. 

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2020, 07:06:34 PM »

after reading through this can we all agree that blitz dist boards were the worst?

Honestly I think it has to do more with Baker still being a newish brand at the time and using the shittiness/cheapest wood for max profit. I remember my brother having a Baker logo board right after baker2g came out and that deck was the slimmest lightest piece of shit I've ever seen. Their boards nowadays aren't even comparable.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

chrisskates808

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2020, 03:11:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly I think it has to do more with Baker still being a newish brand at the time and using the shittiness/cheapest wood for max profit. I remember my brother having a Baker logo board right after baker2g came out and that deck was the slimmest lightest piece of shit I've ever seen. Their boards nowadays aren't even comparable.

skated a baker deck once two years ago. Liked the shape and was a generator