Author Topic: Nike NOT supporting local shops  (Read 1820 times)

Turtle Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
Nike NOT supporting local shops
« on: October 14, 2020, 01:25:45 AM »
For a couple years Nike has been pulling up accounts all over the place, but that shit is getting out of hands.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/owner-of-century-old-bronx-sports-shop-feels-betrayed-as-nike-pulls-merchandise/2664709/

"For 98 years, Frank's Sports Shop has been selling all kinds of sporting equipment from its unassuming location on East Tremont Avenue. For nearly half of that time, owner Moe Stein has been selling Nike products — but that is coming to an end, as the athletic giant told Stein he can’t “just do that” anymore."

I heard about a lot of stories of local skateshops in Europe that have been selling Nike SB since the first dunks that have seen their accounts canceled.

It seems that this strategy to focus on Direct To Consumer does not really match with that "Support your Local shop" campaign.

I know this what you would expect from Nike, but it goes against all their marketing in the SB department.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Re: Nike NOT supporting local shops
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 01:47:26 AM »
Think that’s bad, wait til you hear what they do in China and SE Asia!

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 02:26:13 AM »

You have a point, but they do not claim "made in USA" or "fair trade", but they claim "support your local"

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 03:21:08 AM »
It seems that this strategy to focus on Direct To Consumer does not really match with that "Support your Local shop" campaign.

The SOS campaign was almost 15 years ago and was just a ploy to gain legitimacy. They did their research about how to look like a 'legit' skate company after getting shouted out of the industry on multiple previous attempts. They're way past that now and have been pulling this sort of shit on shops for years
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 04:28:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
You have a point, but they do not claim "made in USA" or "fair trade", but they claim "support your local"

Huh?  They’re pulling a Nike account from ONE reported sports store in the Bronx.  Pretty sure they aren’t a skate shop which is what the issue is here.   People have varied experiences with Nike and their locals, but Nike seems to treat my locals pretty well.  Could be because I’m in in LA. 

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 04:30:20 AM »
all their marketing in the SB department.

The marketing over at Nike SB is dog shit.

Remember when they had that Alex Olson skates every damn day slogan? The same week, dude had an interview out in which he said he hadn't touched a skateboard in 7 months.

Fuck Nike. Don't give those people a dollar. Ever.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 04:40:19 AM »
I've heard of shops losing their accounts and almost all of them were the shops doing.

-Up charging over box price
-Keeping whole size runs of shoes and posting for sale on ebay/stockx
-Not paying their bill
-Releasing shoes prior to release day

Now the practices I don't agree with that I think they have gotten away from at this point, this was during the last dunk craze, was sending a bunch of shit products and charging the shop for them and not offering buy backs. The shops would blow through dunk inventory and then be stuck with 2 full size runs of zoom tre's, team editions, air regimes and Prods and a $10k bill due in 30 days.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 05:01:17 AM »
********SHOCKING NEWS********
Nike is fucking people over to make more money.

Who would've thought?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 05:23:23 AM »
Expand Quote
all their marketing in the SB department.
[close]

The marketing over at Nike SB is dog shit.

Remember when they had that Alex Olson skates every damn day slogan? The same week, dude had an interview out in which he said he hadn't touched a skateboard in 7 months.

Fuck Nike. Don't give those people a dollar. Ever.

I think they had a template “x rider Skates Every Damn Day” for banners in one of their parks.  Alex Olson had one by virtue of being on the team and the irony of it was pointed out by Nike riders.

You anti-Nike people really hold onto these perceived slights and missteps like you’re the last hope of skateboarding.  Maybe don’t give so much of a shit about things don’t don’t really affect you or society at large.  There are actual bad things Nike does to worry about than misstating the frequency to which Alex Olson skates
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:46:55 AM by Atiba Applebum »

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
My local shop has had a Nike SB account for 10 years I believe , they basically get what’s given to them tho, and they are not “cool enough” to be given QS or Orange Label stuff. I assume COVID has something to do with it but they haven’t received any shoes all summer , the last dunk they got was in mArch and it was that easter looking travesty .

They definitely will prioritize shops , as 303 / Emage in Denver have reupped on shoes multiple times this summer while our shop hasn’t received anything but those sashiko blazers 2 weeks ago and they got womens sizes or up to an size 8 in men

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 10:18:03 AM »
To the Surprise of Precisely No One w/a Functioning Brain, Corporate Monstrosity gives precisely Zero Fucks about Core Shops.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 10:54:33 AM »
To the Surprise of Precisely No One w/a Functioning Brain, Corporate Monstrosity gives precisely Zero Fucks about Core Shops.

Well no one actually is reading the article and seeing this has nothing to do with SB or skate shops

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 10:57:32 AM »
Expand Quote
To the Surprise of Precisely No One w/a Functioning Brain, Corporate Monstrosity gives precisely Zero Fucks about Core Shops small business.
[close]

Well no one actually is reading the article and seeing this has nothing to do with SB or skate shops
Fine, fixed.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 11:04:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well the article is about a sport Shop that has been selling Nike products for 50 years, you should think twice if you think this behaviour has nothing to do with what happens in the SB division...

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 11:15:28 AM »
Not surprising, isn't this something that's been going on for years, maybe even a decade plus?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 12:19:30 PM »
This isn’t even a fuckin skateshop, its a sports store. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 01:02:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Well the article is about a sport Shop that has been selling Nike products for 50 years, you should think twice if you think this behaviour has nothing to do with what happens in the SB division...

So you saw an article about ONE store in the Bronx losing its Nike account and thought you’d post it because surely something like this has happened at some point in time to a skate shop with an SB account?

whoami

• Rep: -43
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 05:58:52 PM »
This isn’t even a fuckin skateshop, its a sports store.

Nike makes shoes for other sports?

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 10:53:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

So you saw an article about ONE store in the Bronx losing its Nike account and thought you’d post it because surely something like this has happened at some point in time to a skate shop with an SB account?

It's happened several times that I know of personally to shops in SoCal.

This particular shop just happened to get a news article written about it.

Stop defending Corporate Garbage that is Nike.

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 11:18:16 PM »
Yes, fuck nike but im a hypocrite i have a couple dunks and im skating cons (still nike) atm I will be switching to last resort once I can figure out the sizing.  They don't seem like the slave labor and not supportong locals type i hope!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 11:20:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Are you talking about this happening to skate shops or a general sports store like the article.  I’m not so much defending Nike as getting annoyed by people who didn’t even read the article that’s getting their dander up

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2020, 12:13:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Are you talking about this happening to skate shops or a general sports store like the article.  I’m not so much defending Nike as getting annoyed by people who didn’t even read the article that’s getting their dander up
Nike behaviour is the same whether it's SB or not. The shocking thing about the article is the fact that the shop has been selling nike stuff since almost the beggining of the brand 50 fucking years ago and suddenly Nike decides to close its account.  The fact that this article talks about a shop that is not carrying products from the skateboarding division of the brand doesn't makes that move less shocking and less relevant to the topic of skateshops that suffer from the same stuff.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 12:24:12 AM »
So wait, massive corporations don’t have our (and small businesses’) best interests at heart?
I, for one, am shocked...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2020, 02:50:20 AM »
Nike is heavy in with one of the local shops around here they do raffles for limited releases and everything.  Then you look at the other shops and see 0 Nike on the walls. Always thought it was funny

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2020, 05:05:05 AM »
They're a huge corporation, its all marketing and money.  If skatings not profitable, they'll just turf the whole program and not have to explain shit.  Support small brands, dudes who need it.  Or don't.  It's all branding & bullshit.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 05:08:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Nike behaviour is the same whether it's SB or not. The shocking thing about the article is the fact that the shop has been selling nike stuff since almost the beggining of the brand 50 fucking years ago and suddenly Nike decides to close its account.  The fact that this article talks about a shop that is not carrying products from the skateboarding division of the brand doesn't makes that move less shocking and less relevant to the topic of skateshops that suffer from the same stuff.

It’s misleading at best considering this is a skateboard message board and your title implies this happened to a skate shop.  And your article is a write-up of a local television station’s D block story.   Maybe google and find a relevant article, such as https://www.retaildive.com/news/report-nike-shutting-down-9-wholesale-accounts-in-shift-to-dtc/584106/ and we can gain context and see it’s happening to Dillard’s and Zappos too and Nike hasn’t just sprung a trap to specifically fuck with one small business or skate shop. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 05:11:38 AM »
They're a huge corporation, its all marketing and money.  If skatings not profitable, they'll just turf the whole program and not have to explain shit.  Support small brands, dudes who need it.  Or don't.  It's all branding & bullshit.

NO skate company is going to continue if it isn’t profitable, regardless of the skate abilities of its owner.  Emerica doesn’t exist on good will and being “core”

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2020, 06:23:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

It’s misleading at best considering this is a skateboard message board and your title implies this happened to a skate shop.  And your article is a write-up of a local television station’s D block story.   Maybe google and find a relevant article, such as https://www.retaildive.com/news/report-nike-shutting-down-9-wholesale-accounts-in-shift-to-dtc/584106/ and we can gain context and see it’s happening to Dillard’s and Zappos too and Nike hasn’t just sprung a trap to specifically fuck with one small business or skate shop
You have a point, and thanks for that information, I wasn't aware of other big accounts like Zappos. I still think it's fucked to close a 50 years account on a brick and mortar shop during the covid.

Just to move the topic a bit, what do you guys think of the DTC strategy for larger brands? I understand it means bigger margins for the brand, but it also means that you need a really loyal customer base.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2020, 09:14:02 AM »
********SHOCKING NEWS********
Nike is fucking people over to make more money.

Who would've thought?
Dueces Bitch's