Author Topic: Dancing On Thin Ice (new K Rod, AVE, and Aidan footy)  (Read 21272 times)

too fakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 63
Re: Dancing On Thin Ice (new K Rod, AVE, and Aidan footy)
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2020, 11:28:32 PM »
Was that the best street footage ever put out by a 40 year old? All due respect to Reynolds and some of these other guys but it’s not like any of them are putting out the best footage of their careers at 40 plus. Some of the AVE stuff in that video was better than his Propeller part.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 384
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2020, 11:35:39 PM »
I was stoked on the K Rod footage. Really liked his gap up to backtail on the tree planter that that he popped/shot out of to get back on the ground. Just a cool clip.

Aiden turned pro for 917 before leaving for FA, just to remind people.

A few years ago, Colin Read did a promo for Open Skateboards (a very small company) that was based on the premise that you were watching the promo through a VX viewfinder. But he made it clear that that was the concept and it was a brief promo so it didn’t wear our its welcome. I can’t find it online though.

I stopped this video before Aiden and skipped past the interstitial parts so I didn’t mind the effect too much but could definitely see why most disliked it.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 550
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2020, 01:40:35 AM »
I was stoked on the K Rod footage. Really liked his gap up to backtail on the tree planter that that he popped/shot out of to get back on the ground. Just a cool clip.

A few years ago, Colin Read did a promo for Open Skateboards (a very small company) that was based on the premise that you were watching the promo through a VX viewfinder. But he made it clear that that was the concept and it was a brief promo so it didn’t wear our its welcome. I can’t find it online though.

I stopped this video before Aiden and skipped past the interstitial parts so I didn’t mind the effect too much but could definitely see why most disliked it.

loved Kevin's section
but he's not popping out.
They put a slanted piece of wood to let him "powerslide" out which is kinda disappointing
Photo is in Free N°31
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:56:08 AM by BALARGUE »

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 393
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2020, 02:07:08 AM »
Very hyped on the Kev footage.

Honestly: at first I was a bit underhwelmed because he makes it look so easy.
Until a friend said 'Evaluate each trick seperately...'. And I was  blown away.

AVE footage?
INCREDIBLE in my opinion. He still gives it all.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2020, 03:04:26 AM »
way to ruin good footage.
ave is still a goat though.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2020, 03:37:09 AM »
I wonder how Dill feels about Ave still skating at this level. That was one of the best parts this year, amazing.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2020, 03:58:31 AM »

Good footage ruined by some atrocious vaporwavesque Luis Mora shit, minus Sailor Moon. Music wasn't doing it for the most part either.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2020, 04:01:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Good footage ruined by some atrocious vaporwavesque Luis Mora shit, minus Sailor Moon. Music wasn't doing it for the most part either.

At first glance, I thought this was Prison Dill.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2020, 04:29:57 AM »
I don't really care about Aidan, too gimmicky for my taste
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

sorry

• Rep: -14
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2020, 04:39:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
AVE footage was incredible.

Has AVE done that switch krooks half cab flip out before or am I just thinking of Elijah doing it in AVE cosplay?
[close]
https://youtu.be/eeK2MfBVr40?t=32
switch noseblunt flip to forward. similar-ish
[close]

Thanks. Weird I'm sure I remember switch krooks flip out. Ah well definitely not the first time I've messed this stuff up

as someone mentioned, he did one in his SOTY video and also did one in Propeller

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2020, 05:11:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

loved Kevin's section
They put a slanted piece of wood to let him "powerslide" out which is kinda disappointing
Photo is in Free N°31

still dope

edit : sick photo by Alex Pires
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 10:40:53 AM by NollieBackflip »

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2020, 05:15:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
AVE footage was incredible.

Has AVE done that switch krooks half cab flip out before or am I just thinking of Elijah doing it in AVE cosplay?
[close]
https://youtu.be/eeK2MfBVr40?t=32
switch noseblunt flip to forward. similar-ish
[close]

Thanks. Weird I'm sure I remember switch krooks flip out. Ah well definitely not the first time I've messed this stuff up
[close]

as someone mentioned, he did one in his SOTY video and also did one in Propeller
Elijah did one in Spinning Away.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Wandalumioshlomo

• Rep: -21
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2020, 05:29:24 AM »
This edit was the best all year...
Krod and Aidan are the David Bowies of modern skating.
Anyone saying otherwise are lost in their own age and stubborness.
They both have a mystique that make them stand above most of their arguably more skillful piers (Hjalte, Max, Cyrus, Louie, Tyshawn etc).
Their skating is totally unique, fresh and defies "classic abilities" and inspires individuality and style, which makes them relatable for skaters who dont go out everyday and try to get hammers.
Do u have to make a tre flip followed by a back tail in baggy pants and white shoes to be accepted in here?
They are extremely talented and entertaining to watch, end of story.
Neither of them really use Instagram or seem to milk their own image as all the "coolest brands, photographers" are willing to do it for them.
This is not hard to understand considering how fuckin rad they both look on their boards.
And none of them seem to divert into other niches where they don´t really have anything to offer besides vague pseudo intellectualism and shitty rap music.
I dont accept the hate on the purposefully grainy quality either. Seems to fit the overall FA/Hockey art direction well. Artsy shit was always important in the skatin community so why are people hating on them for havin a direction and an aesthetic at all. They blessed us with another edit that made every other clip this year seem irrelevant. They deserve the hype.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2020, 05:33:36 AM »
Expand Quote
there s no fat bill footy in there- exclusively supreme now? would be a good thing for fa.
[close]

Camera operator 7
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2020, 05:40:44 AM »
Aiden Mackey is a fucking eyesore

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • Free Max B
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2020, 05:44:55 AM »
Yeah that shit was fuckin sick.

Ave pushing switch downhill to switch tre was so sick. How is that dude still getting better? skater of the decade.

These dudes all kill it. 5 pages of yall gettin pissy over some silly pants who cares.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2020, 05:48:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

At first glance, I thought this was Prison Dill.
Dill would need protective custody.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2020, 06:07:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Can someone explain the aesthetic differences between FA and Hockey to me?
[close]
If you liked nu metal in high school you like Hockey, if you talked to girls you like FA.

Hockey must be down with the sickness

Oh, ah, ah, ah, ah

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2020, 06:42:25 AM »
This edit was the best all year...
Krod and Aidan are the David Bowies of modern skating.
Anyone saying otherwise are lost in their own age and stubborness.
They both have a mystique that make them stand above most of their arguably more skillful piers (Hjalte, Max, Cyrus, Louie, Tyshawn etc).
Their skating is totally unique, fresh and defies "classic abilities" and inspires individuality and style, which makes them relatable for skaters who dont go out everyday and try to get hammers.
Do u have to make a tre flip followed by a back tail in baggy pants and white shoes to be accepted in here?
They are extremely talented and entertaining to watch, end of story.
Neither of them really use Instagram or seem to milk their own image as all the "coolest brands, photographers" are willing to do it for them.
This is not hard to understand considering how fuckin rad they both look on their boards.
And none of them seem to divert into other niches where they don´t really have anything to offer besides vague pseudo intellectualism and shitty rap music.
I dont accept the hate on the purposefully grainy quality either. Seems to fit the overall FA/Hockey art direction well. Artsy shit was always important in the skatin community so why are people hating on them for havin a direction and an aesthetic at all. They blessed us with another edit that made every other clip this year seem irrelevant. They deserve the hype.
Did you buy the Converse Swan Pablo colorway right when it came out?

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -166
« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2020, 07:18:53 AM »
K Rod skating to Type O Negative is a great way to start my morning

he's got the all you need is blood/vinnland shirt on too
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2020, 07:22:51 AM »
From what I’ve heard it’s not a “filter.” Most of the hockey footage is recaptured to film. This one was a little over the top for sure, it looks way better in the last thing they put out for AA’s authentic highs.

K-Rod’s back 3 on fish gap was fucked

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • Draco sound like boomhauer
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2020, 07:25:15 AM »
Super happy with this. Ave delivering parts like this at his age is nuts. That super vertical sw noseblunt on the green bench definitely stuck with me. K Rod's part was damn good dude's trick selection is the perfect amount of artsy yet effective also happy to see a trick from John. And Aidan I actually enjoyed his part the most his long ass mannys and skating shit he has no business is always fun to watch. And of course dirt hills and cheesy crust pants. Good shit overall. Didn't care about the filter, could still see more than a VX so it's whatever.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2020, 07:48:09 AM »
I'm not saying AVE is on steroids, but his slugging percentage jumping up in his late 30's-40s is sus. Either that or he's stealing signals

AVE  is on hard boiled eggs. Lots of them.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2020, 08:00:39 AM »
K Rod is the sickest skateboarder out right now.  mysterious, handsome, stylish, interesting.  yum!

whole video was awesome and loved some of the unique editing and transitions.

Aiden is ....not at a professional level. very much last part in a local video vibes

n0torious

• Rep: 153
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2020, 08:04:59 AM »
Filming the TV made my head hurt. And kudos to whoever said Aidan is "working with what he's got," spot on. Kevin and AVE's parts were incredible.

Also, what's with the pants police around here? I love clowning a weird outfit but y'all seem to take it personally. Super glad people switch it up, brown cords and half cabs get boring.

Secomprancolchones

• Rep: 0
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2020, 08:12:41 AM »
Came for the skating, stayed for the wacky pants.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2020, 08:30:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yeah the video “effect” didn’t do it for me either. Gave me some jim greco latest film’s vibes but not in a good way. Let benny handle shit.
[close]

Expand Quote
All three dudes haul ass when they skate - a key ingredient to good skateboarding.

Filter sucked liked the Benny guys edits better
[close]

this was a benny edit.
[close]
U sure? Didn’t see his name unless it’s a pseudonym. Then again there’s no “editor” credit what do i know
[close]

Benny filmed the majority of the video and he edited it. He uses a few pseudonyms (George Pukas), most of the credits in FA/Hockey edits aren't real names.

Well Conrad Hall is one of the best DPs of all time (butch Cassidy to Road to Perdition) which is esp egregious on something that looks like this. 

George Pukas/Lucas makes more sense in terms of “why did you present this piece this way when it’d be so easy for you to give it to us the way we wanted”

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 384
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2020, 08:34:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

loved Kevin's section
Photo is in Free N°31
[close]

still dope

Ah good catch - hadn’t seen that photo so didn’t realize it until you mentioned it but I totally see it now. Agree that it’s still dope and I really like that photo too.

Dracula

• Rep: -20
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2020, 08:57:47 AM »
I kinda like the ass filter

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2020, 09:01:25 AM »
im jazzed on this