Author Topic: Dancing On Thin Ice (new K Rod, AVE, and Aidan footy)  (Read 21257 times)

Gnarfunkell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
Re: Dancing On Thin Ice (new K Rod, AVE, and Aidan footy)
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2020, 02:40:08 PM »
Kevin's nollie bs 180 to curb ride was really awesome. Definitely going to have to try that on something... smaller.

AVE though holy shit. Definitely his best shit since Mindfield. His speed and technical skills are still amongst the best.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2020, 02:41:41 PM »
Expand Quote
I really don't think that's a "filter", I think they filmed another screen to get that effect - that's exactly what footage looks like when you film your viewfinder with your phone. It's not a VHS look, it's the look you get when you film pixels with another camera.
[close]

Regardless, it was a terrible artistic decision.

Agreed. It makes it incredibly hard to watch, and this is coming from someone that prefers SD footage over HD.

Glurmpz

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2020, 02:45:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I really don't think that's a "filter", I think they filmed another screen to get that effect - that's exactly what footage looks like when you film your viewfinder with your phone. It's not a VHS look, it's the look you get when you film pixels with another camera.
[close]

[close]

Agreed. It makes it incredibly hard to watch, and this is coming from someone that prefers SD footage over HD.

Yeah it's definitely a weird editing choice.

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 550
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s kinda on par with putting Sofia Coppola in The Godfather 3

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1136
  • old and in the way
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2020, 03:02:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It’s kinda on par with putting Sofia Coppola in The Godfather 3

Maybe the rephotographed aesthetic is an homage to AWS Memory Screen.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2020, 03:07:32 PM »
Skating was good. AVE was great. All the faux punk pants are pretty bad.

My thoughts exactly

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2020, 03:09:11 PM »
Aiden Mackey is a less fun Chris Milic

Massivebellend

• Rep: -12
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2020, 03:12:06 PM »
Fuck that Aiden kid

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2020, 03:17:11 PM »
Seeing AVE skating as fast and hard as he does at his age was awesome, but everything else, yeah, kinda sucked.

Laughable “artistic” filter, odd editing decisions, patches on dudes pants. This thing, like most of FA/Hockey’s creative output, won’t stand the test of time.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2020, 03:24:27 PM »
All three dudes haul ass when they skate - a key ingredient to good skateboarding.

Filter sucked liked the Benny guys edits better

Harrison's Fjord

• Rep: 7
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »
I loved every aspect, always enjoy seeing Aidan. I don't get the hate, find him really fun to watch - hope there's another part coming later this year. AVE's footage was super heavy and unexpected like the switch noseslide kickflip. Sounded like he was skating to music for the final boss of a video game. Kevin Rodriguez's wallride nollie shove and last few tricks were excellent.

The AVE footage was beautiful. Full speed big flip off the curb cut was incredible, same with the switch bs nose blunt. Agree about the video game boss-- Bowser vibes

K-Rod's nollie bs180 to curb bash stood out for me

Could have been a bit less grainy, but whatever; easy on the eyes, better than some headache inducing 240 fps GoPro

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2020, 03:58:16 PM »
i'm just done with aves part and goddamn, he killed it.

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2020, 04:10:41 PM »
Full parts from AVE, Kevin and Aidan? Fuck that was heavy. Gonna take me a bit to recover.

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2020, 04:12:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
really don't understand the Aiden hate. dude rips crazy spots, has unique trick selection, skates fast as fuck and doesn't care about getting destroyed.

he's also got good style on the board imo and I really fuck with his long manuals , fakie / switch , down city blocks, or the one from the road into the dirt hill was fucking incredible.
[close]
Aidan gets hate because like most people on FA/Hockey he went “pro” without putting any serious work and time in.
[close]
who cares dawg, they turned pro because Dill felt like it. It's his company, there's other companies where people put in time, effort, and work to go pro. i get where you're coming from, but not every company is gonna operate the same.
why care? Because it makes other pros' hard work look like a joke. You think Cookie was stoked to see Sean, Sage, and Aidan go pro when he was working his ass off skating harder than any of them combined but was still am? How about Robbie Brockel? What if you were pro, but suddenly you're competing with people far below your skill level for a spot on a company even though they're also "pro"? And they get the spot instead of you only because they dress and act trendier? How could you possibly think that would be "well deserved?" without any indignation?

Yeah I get it companies work on different timelines and there's no hard set checklist but do you seriously think Aidan deserves a board? Imagine him at a demo where half of the locals at any park could skate better than him.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
really don't understand the Aiden hate. dude rips crazy spots, has unique trick selection, skates fast as fuck and doesn't care about getting destroyed.

he's also got good style on the board imo and I really fuck with his long manuals , fakie / switch , down city blocks, or the one from the road into the dirt hill was fucking incredible.
[close]
Aidan gets hate because like most people on FA/Hockey he went “pro” without putting any serious work and time in.
[close]
who cares dawg, they turned pro because Dill felt like it. It's his company, there's other companies where people put in time, effort, and work to go pro. i get where you're coming from, but not every company is gonna operate the same.
[close]
why care? Because it makes other pros' hard work look like a joke. You think Cookie was stoked to see Sean, Sage, and Aidan go pro when he was working his ass off skating harder than any of them combined but was still am? How about Robbie Brockel? What if you were pro, but suddenly you're competing with people far below your skill level for a spot on a company even though they're also "pro"? And they get the spot instead of you only because they dress and act trendier? How could you possibly think that would be "well deserved?" without any indignation?

Yeah I get it companies work on different timelines and there's no hard set checklist but do you seriously think Aidan deserves a board? Imagine him at a demo where half of the locals at any park could skate better than him.
Skateboarding is not, and has never been, a meritocracy. Hope that helps.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -733
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2020, 04:22:56 PM »
AVE is the GOAT 🐐
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2020, 04:23:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

It's fucking amazing that in 2020 people like you still don't get it.

When I heard Aiden has a part coming out, I didn't expect it to be a part of something bigger. That was tremendous. 90 odd seconds of K-Rod footage is basically a full part from him. AVE is evergreen, and may as well be 30 as opposed to 42. Aiden has carved out a great niche for him, and is immensely enjoyable to watch.

conqueso

« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2020, 04:33:08 PM »
wow impressed ave can still skate like that. rest of this was awful especially the last guy

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2020, 04:40:02 PM »
Yeah the video “effect” didn’t do it for me either. Gave me some jim greco latest film’s vibes but not in a good way. Let benny handle shit.

I fuck with kevin. He can pull off any fit and his trick/ spot selection is always on point to back it. I think it was cool what duffel said of him when he was struggling with depression, solid kid.

Ave 100% saved this video. Holy shit.

Aiden Mackey is a less fun Chris Milic
!!!      (I’m biting @Lou Strux with the !!!)

Glad i’m not the only one who doesn’t get all the aiden hype. He’s alright to watch but overrated, and i like amebix. Maybe it’s his t-funk careful hands and flailing back arm that throws me off as contrived. But i’m also old and fixated to seeing patches on dirty gritty crusty ass punks in tight pants at shows and not on a supreme kid.
I’m sure 16 year old me would love him though. Or probably not.
0:51
https://youtu.be/eVddGSTjEd0
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:50:20 PM by mex.ceferino »

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Acky Jacky

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2020, 04:51:00 PM »

i don't really care for f.a. that much, but in general, it's pointless to question this. every team has different types of skaters, some pros never do demos at all, some pros are objectively worse than locals, yet some locals never leave their hometown, while the pros whip out crazy shit regardless of being objectively worse.

it's dills company and dill thinks aiden is sick enough to be pro so aiden goes pro. cookie doesn't ride for f.a. and would never fit the team or their edits, even though he might be technically better than everyone on that team, so comparing him with aidan or sean is ridiculuos. they all skate very different. aidan has wackjob style, but he skates fast and does weird stuff, so he is relatable to a lot of skaters, thus also liked. i'm not the biggest fan, in that i don't skate like this and wouldn't want to. but i think his skating is super entertaining to watch at least.

after all these dudes don't take money from cookie. and i'm sure cookie doesn't give a shit himself. kinda weird that you brought the guy up even and dragged him into this. i'm a big fan of cookie and wish he'd be on a better board brand than element. dude should be on krooked instead and i could buy his board with no remorse.

also, as with anything in life, hard work alone may not pay off. it's not fair, but we all know that. why should skating be different? pro skateboarding is not a meritocracy. you don't achieve it by working off a bucket list. i'd rather say there is a baseline of skateboarding ability you have to have or at least a few gnarly tricks, or an abundance of style. and you can make up the rest with personality, creativity and regular output. and connections.

no one remembers random midwest nick merlino lookalike fs lipsliding some 17 stair rail on insta. but everyone remembers the ginger kid in his kiddie patched pants hucking a manual downhill until he speedwobbles off the curb and eats shit into traffic. the lipslide is gnarlier in itself and probably took more work, but i've seen it a thousand times. if i'd seen that manual live i would have told everyone about how funny that shit was. also, skating recognizable spots like in ny always helps with character building, too.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2020, 04:54:46 PM »
Yeah the video “effect” didn’t do it for me either. Gave me some jim greco latest film’s vibes but not in a good way. Let benny handle shit.

All three dudes haul ass when they skate - a key ingredient to good skateboarding.

this was a benny edit.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2020, 05:00:09 PM »
I watched this from across the room on my computer monitor while Aqua Teen Hunger Force was playing on my TV. The aesthetic almost matched. If I ever rewatch this, I'll watch it from outside through the blinds.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2020, 05:02:34 PM »
I liked it minus the way it was filmed.

Also anyone else noticed AVE was still skating the same bench that him and Dill used for The DC Video and Mosaic? Not that I have an issue with that.

I'm too lazy to screenshot it, so here are some links with timestamps

https://youtu.be/5pSFpe9HebA?t=57

https://youtu.be/H9ompYRgg44?t=136

https://youtu.be/ebX27CcHyVc?t=372

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »
So Aiden added a patch to his pants with each new clip.

Kinda like how the guy in Grandma’s Boy added another ponytail each scene he was in.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2020, 05:13:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Can someone explain the aesthetic differences between FA and Hockey to me?
[close]
If you liked nu metal in high school you like Hockey, if you talked to girls you like FA.

I like Hockey then, thx.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2020, 05:13:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

this was a benny edit.
U sure? Didn’t see his name unless it’s a pseudonym. Then again there’s no “editor” credit what do i know

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Don

• Rep: -31
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2020, 05:26:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

What a stupid thing to say

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2020, 05:29:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

1.) Skateboarding is not a meritocracy. It is an industry, like any other, and sometimes will make decisions you perceive as "unfair"
2.) These pros aren't as insecure and prissy as you think they are.

You seem like you're projecting and puttin words into good ol' Cookie's mouth.
Chill out, it's grown men riding a wooden toy.
Shalom.

Mongoloid

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2020, 05:48:22 PM »
Loved K Rod’s part! Loved!