Author Topic: Dancing On Thin Ice (new K Rod, AVE, and Aidan footy)  (Read 21318 times)

anon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 53
Re: Dancing On Thin Ice (new K Rod, AVE, and Aidan footy)
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2020, 09:08:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was stoked on the K Rod footage. Really liked his gap up to backtail on the tree planter that that he popped/shot out of to get back on the ground. Just a cool clip.

Aiden turned pro for 917 before leaving for FA, just to remind people.

A few years ago, Colin Read did a promo for Open Skateboards (a very small company) that was based on the premise that you were watching the promo through a VX viewfinder. But he made it clear that that was the concept and it was a brief promo so it didn’t wear our its welcome. I can’t find it online though.

I stopped this video before Aiden and skipped past the interstitial parts so I didn’t mind the effect too much but could definitely see why most disliked it.
[close]

loved Kevin's section
but he's not popping out.
They put a slanted piece of wood to let him "powerslide" out which is kinda disappointing
Photo is in Free N°31
[close]

still dope
makes sense. gapping into it requires speed and wouldn't allow enough time for popping out

fongool

• Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2020, 09:14:05 AM »
They both have a mystique that make them stand above most of their arguably more skillful piers (Hjalte, Max, Cyrus, Louie, Tyshawn etc).

I agree that they have essentially carved out their own lane in skating and definitely produce footage(aidan in particular) but come on, they certainly do not "stand above" any of those guys

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2020, 10:34:43 AM »
Couldn’t finish it. The filter just made it too shitty to focus on. I like vx but this was straight dog shit filter choice.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2020, 10:36:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was stoked on the K Rod footage. Really liked his gap up to backtail on the tree planter that that he popped/shot out of to get back on the ground. Just a cool clip.

A few years ago, Colin Read did a promo for Open Skateboards (a very small company) that was based on the premise that you were watching the promo through a VX viewfinder. But he made it clear that that was the concept and it was a brief promo so it didn’t wear our its welcome. I can’t find it online though.

I stopped this video before Aiden and skipped past the interstitial parts so I didn’t mind the effect too much but could definitely see why most disliked it.
[close]

loved Kevin's section
They put a slanted piece of wood to let him "powerslide" out which is kinda disappointing
Photo is in Free N°31
[close]

still dope
[close]
makes sense. gapping into it requires speed and wouldn't allow enough time for popping out

My friend pointed this out yesterday in our group chat. Bummed me a bit because I was kinda mindblown with how fast he popped out of it. Still fucked but not as cool.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2020, 10:38:22 AM »
key grip, best boy, director, camera operators

yes very cool very cool witty even film vibes bra

dannyprovolone

« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2020, 11:00:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

loved Kevin's section
Photo is in Free N°31
[close]

still dope
[close]

popping out is the point? I guess it looked cool but arguably doesn't count

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2020, 11:06:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

loved Kevin's section
Photo is in Free N°31
[close]

still dope
[close]
[close]

Of course it counts. Don't be ridiculous.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2020, 11:09:09 AM »

hardly art, hardly starving

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2020, 11:32:38 AM »
Yeah guys, if we’re gonna nitpick tricks from this video, the glaring offence is AVE popping into the ssbsnbs from behind the bench instead of the side.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2020, 11:49:23 AM »
I'm not some fanboy by any means but anyone trying to argue that Aidan "isn't pro worthy" or is "taking up someone's place on a company" is just firmly within the negative brain cell count at this point.

A) All you guys know who the fuck he is, what he's about, his style, his silhouette, etc. He's more ingrained in your memory than 85% of other pros today and that's a fact, like him or not. Marketing wise he wins over most pros tenfold.

B) If you're thick enough to think he's taking anyone else's place on FA then there's no hope for you. I'm pretty sure I remember Dill saying years ago that Aidan is one of his favourite skaters, add to that the fact that 917 originally turned him pro,  a much smaller company that can most likely only afford to turn a few people pro. Which he then left allowing someone else to go pro. So surely he already corrected the exact 'problem' people are frustrated with?

- Also does Aidan hold the record for most tricks filmed on one spot throughout all his parts/footage? He sure does skate that big curved curb thing a lot.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:56:47 AM by GuessAgain? »

dannyprovolone

« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
Yeah guys, if we’re gonna nitpick tricks from this video, the glaring offence is AVE popping into the ssbsnbs from behind the bench instead of the side.

also a fake spot

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »

Was a sick switch front nose though.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2020, 12:47:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

loved Kevin's section
Photo is in Free N°31
[close]

still dope
[close]
[close]

My friend pointed this out yesterday in our group chat. Bummed me a bit because I was kinda mindblown with how fast he popped out of it. Still fucked but not as cool.

I noticed it while watching the video and thought it made it more cool lmao. It might be easier than popping out, but I love how smoothly he just glided out of it. It's hard as hell either way.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2020, 01:01:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
really don't understand the Aiden hate. dude rips crazy spots, has unique trick selection, skates fast as fuck and doesn't care about getting destroyed.

he's also got good style on the board imo and I really fuck with his long manuals , fakie / switch , down city blocks, or the one from the road into the dirt hill was fucking incredible.
[close]
Aidan gets hate because like most people on FA/Hockey he went “pro” without putting any serious work and time in.
[close]
who cares dawg, they turned pro because Dill felt like it. It's his company, there's other companies where people put in time, effort, and work to go pro. i get where you're coming from, but not every company is gonna operate the same.
[close]
why care? Because it makes other pros' hard work look like a joke. You think Cookie was stoked to see Sean, Sage, and Aidan go pro when he was working his ass off skating harder than any of them combined but was still am? How about Robbie Brockel? What if you were pro, but suddenly you're competing with people far below your skill level for a spot on a company even though they're also "pro"? And they get the spot instead of you only because they dress and act trendier? How could you possibly think that would be "well deserved?" without any indignation?

Yeah I get it companies work on different timelines and there's no hard set checklist but do you seriously think Aidan deserves a board? Imagine him at a demo where half of the locals at any park could skate better than him.

It’s not about how good you are it’s about people wanting to buy your board. All I heard on this damn website after the 917 video came out was “give Aiden a bloard”. Not that I haven’t seen people wanting Cookie or Brockel to turn pro but it honestly seems like people are jealous to the point of projecting. Filter sucked. Video was great. I want an Aiden bloard.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2020, 01:12:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

loved Kevin's section
Photo is in Free N°31
[close]

still dope
[close]
[close]

LMAO doesn't count?? y'all are fucking ridiculous. what doesn't count about it???

enrgydrnkr

• Rep: 25
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2020, 01:13:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

loved Kevin's section
Photo is in Free N°31
[close]

still dope
[close]
[close]

[close]

I'm having this exact discussion with a friend, and just realized that although the wood makes it easier, the tree there arguably doesn't even allow for the board to fit longwise unless he was already in motion rotating out to fakie. It's like a fluid back 180 with the tailslide in the middle. any way you look at it the trick is fucked up

nollie back180 to switch curb bash... trick of the year maybe

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2020, 01:32:10 PM »
I loved the Video, had no Problem looking at the Filter

That bs tailslide counts and was awesome

That nollie bs 180 to curb bash best Trick? LMAO common

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »
I wonder how Dill feels about Ave still skating at this level. That was one of the best parts this year, amazing.
Yes Ave stacks footage but Dill feels sick from Dilling around.
You could say Dill is...

down with the Dillness

Oh, ah, ah, ah, ah

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2020, 02:07:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

also a fake spot

I wonder if Berra's been storing that for them? Collecting dust beside a fake Allstate sign since Dill's Mosaic part.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »

go nollie bs 180 a street gap then get back to us. I won't even make you curb bash out of it. not saying it's trick of the year but it's completely fucked up to do.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2020, 02:51:12 PM »
also, not sure how a lil wooden wedge makes getting out of a bsts any easier... seems like you have to have some serious board control to skiiirt up the wedge while making sure you're not completely perpendicular and just bashing into it just as you would if the wedge wasnt there at all

i like an above poster's description of it as a fluid bs 180... but on top of it, it's as if he is floaty bs 180ing to fakie manualing up a cheese wedge

hardly art, hardly starving

• Rep: 31
« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2020, 03:32:38 PM »
The film grain or viewfinder pixelation or whatever it is is cool but please release that AVE footy in HD along with all the raw shit.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »
also, not sure how a lil wooden wedge makes getting out of a bsts any easier... seems like you have to have some serious board control to skiiirt up the wedge while making sure you're not completely perpendicular and just bashing into it just as you would if the wedge wasnt there at all

i like an above poster's description of it as a fluid bs 180... but on top of it, it's as if he is floaty bs 180ing to fakie manualing up a cheese wedge
Can someone gif the clip? The edit goes too fast for me to understand exactly what you guys are talking about.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2020, 03:55:51 PM »
god damn Ave rules.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2020, 04:03:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

loved Kevin's section
Photo is in Free N°31
[close]

still dope
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I'm having this exact discussion with a friend, and just realized that although the wood makes it easier, the tree there arguably doesn't even allow for the board to fit longwise unless he was already in motion rotating out to fakie. It's like a fluid back 180 with the tailslide in the middle. any way you look at it the trick is fucked up

nollie back180 to switch curb bash... trick of the year maybe

yeah, it's fucking crazy either way you look at it. two different tricks. not tryna start a trick name debate but its like a gap back tail, wallie to fakie, sorta in a way and that itself already sounds cool.

are street gaps to curb bash gonna be the new one? i've seen the atlantic drift dudes mess around with them, like switch heel street gap to curb bash. and some other guy in a different video, i think his name is stu? but he was fucking dying trying them. it was sick.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
Shit was dope and Ave you fucking legend.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2020, 04:11:41 PM »
anyways... this was super sick!!!
AVE's part was fucking perfect and K-Rod gave us some of his most stylish and crazy skating yet
I am definitely a fan of Aidan, loved this part and I think it's the best thing he's put out, maybe even rivaling his 917 part.
The old video effects were something I thought was cool, it didn't fuck with me that much. I feel like FA/Hockey are trying to differentiate themselves from Supreme, and make the videos feel and look differently. I think that artistic decision was just FA trying to experiment with different techniques to see what sticks. It's hard to rise out of the Strobeck shadow.
Cool vid, good songs, and AVE!!!
Felt like they were trying to bite Palace with the filter (although Palace filmed a ton in VHS), but not blatantly, and it didn't look good.

AVE's footage was incredible. The level he is skating at now for his age is unreal.

I can't think of another team where the talent disparity between the top pros (Louie, Ave, Tyshawn) and the bottom of the team (Sean, Aiden, Ben K) is as big as FA/Hockey's is.

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2020, 04:54:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

go nollie bs 180 a street gap then get back to us. I won't even make you curb bash out of it. not saying it's trick of the year but it's completely fucked up to do.

im not suuurruurrure if its hard i really cant say it actually kind of doesnt look hard at all. its not my favorite trick to do but if it was this could be done like 10 times a day out of fun.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2020, 05:07:14 PM »
I was bitching about being old and sore today. This Ave footy was good for my soul.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2020, 05:16:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
AVE footage was incredible.

Has AVE done that switch krooks half cab flip out before or am I just thinking of Elijah doing it in AVE cosplay?
[close]
https://youtu.be/eeK2MfBVr40?t=32
switch noseblunt flip to forward. similar-ish
[close]

Thanks. Weird I'm sure I remember switch krooks flip out. Ah well definitely not the first time I've messed this stuff up
[close]

as someone mentioned, he did one in his SOTY video and also did one in Propeller
[close]
Elijah did one in Spinning Away.

Yes! Thank you, this is the one I meant
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps