Author Topic: Stealing others style  (Read 4769 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
Stealing others style
« on: October 14, 2020, 10:27:53 AM »
What fashion / tricks / ideas / poses have you stolen from your idols?

mine, chronologically :
1) I initially skated regular foot, but switched to goofy foot to be like Gator. (This was 1986 so yeah, who knew?)
2) Bandanas cholo style, from Suicidal Tendencies, 1986
3) Black Pro Tec helmet with Independent banner sticker across the bottom-front 1987 (from Lance Mountain)
4) Art - tried to steal Blender's style really bad in 1987. Wish I had that drawing style so bad at age 11
5) Wearing Chuck Taylors, was from Hosoi for me (1987) I initially skated in the original Air Jordans
6) head gasket from Jim Thiebaud, 1988.
7) Tried to steal Frankie Hill's wild arm/ crouched/ hunched style in 1988 until my friend Eric (RIP) asked me if that's what I was doing. Played it off that I had a sore back.
8) Grey pants with black airwalks (stolen from Jeremy Klein, 1989). Also tried to do any and all of his tricks from Rubbish Heap/ Sk8 TV/ interviews/ Ads and failed miserably.
9) chain wallet from Hensley, 1990. I initially pulled this off as my own style because I was the first in our little group to do it, and my dad was a biker. What gave me away was riding like 5 Hensley decks in a row. Busted. Also cab 1 foots on banks
10) Baggy cut off jeans with long sleeve polo shirts and baseball hats. Thanks to Colin McKay in Questionable, underground parking lot. 1992

I was 16 in '92. I think after that BPSW cooled down, I just did my own stuff. Well, at least, not intentionally stole anything after this. Sure I was influenced on some tricks but not on that same level. What are yours?

Paulie Gualtieri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Re: Stealing others style
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 11:06:39 AM »
Pappalardo's ollie setup/arm steeze

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »
 I went  hard on the Christian Hosoi look in 87.  Spandex ,   vert shirt (cut nearly the entire sides out of a shirt). Heavily posed judo launch ramp airs, for the record I pulled ones where my foot would get about 3” away from the board.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:28:47 AM »
i noseslide everything because of chet musket

no swishy pants though

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 11:30:35 AM »

no swishy pants though

This really messed with me

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 11:34:08 AM »
I was obsessed with Timecode-era AWS in high school and always copied Freddy's pushing style (amongst other things). And in the mid-2000s I was super into Geoff Rowley's Herrington jackets and started rocking them all the time. I still do both of those things.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 11:37:04 AM »
I was obsessed with Timecode-era AWS in high school and always copied Freddy's pushing style (amongst other things). And in the mid-2000s I was super into Geoff Rowley's Herrington jackets and started rocking them all the time. I still do both of those things.

sounds sick! I forgot, I one time did Lennie Kirk inspired cornrows and almost got jumped twice in the span of an hour by drunken jocks for being a "wigger". I actually thought this was hilarious and encouraged the jumping. Which is what I think threw them off. But I thought that getting my ass beat for being a "wigger" would have been worth it.

blowjobtofakie

• Rep: 103
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 11:37:45 AM »
Expand Quote

no swishy pants though
[close]

This really messed with me

My cousin was talking about Elon Musk the other week and without laughing referred to him as The Muska.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

sounds sick! I forgot, I one time did Lennie Kirk inspired cornrows and almost got jumped twice in the span of an hour by drunken jocks for being a "wigger". I actually thought this was hilarious and encouraged the jumping. Which is what I think threw them off. But I thought that getting my ass beat for being a "wigger" would have been worth it.

Haha, amazing. I was pretty obsessed with Linnie Kirk too and if I could have rocked cornrows I for sure would have.

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 11:45:01 AM »
Kris Markovich - A1 days. So homemade shorts way past the knees with long socks and a wooden bead necklace that I'd have in my mouth...which as it wasn't finished absorbed my saliva and smelled gross. Throw in a Harley chain wallet with extra chain added and there ya have it.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Guy Marinara

• Rep: 12
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 11:46:31 AM »
was biting prods style super hard when i was like 12 in the mid 2000s with the crossing of the arms and the long set up with the subtle pants adjustment before popping

Baswell Cerry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 11:53:55 AM »
I grew up first seeing Slaughterhouse and that really showed me that skating looks best when you make it your own and not trying to do it "textbook".

Then I saw Bag of Suck and that showed me that skating is best when it fun, and even tho you get passionate it's all about trying to get yourself to smile after you land.

Baker 3 showed me that skating needs to be gnarly and that makes it memorable. Skateboarding is a nasty beast and tapping I to that always leads to stoke.

My style is purely for comfort. I need unrestrictive clothing so I can sway and wobble out of stuff if I land it sketchy. I remember Caswell Berry had me wanting bell bottoms and ragdoll and nice had me wanting black nut huggers when I was younger. Krew pants and matix were my jam but I remember not being able to squat for my Ollie's.

I wore vans cuz of dollin and Ali and those dudes were the gnarliest and Rowley. I wanted to go fast, stick my trick, and make noise just like those guys.
[Applause]

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 12:01:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Haha, amazing. I was pretty obsessed with Linnie Kirk too and if I could have rocked cornrows I for sure would have.

I've got Lennie's "Harvest" graphic tattooed on my leg. Lennie + Timecode overall... are the shit. I watch that part like 5 times a week still.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »
I put my hand on my knee when I push because I wanted to be like Ed Templeton.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 12:25:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I've got Lennie's "Harvest" graphic tattooed on my leg. Lennie + Timecode overall... are the shit. I watch that part like 5 times a week still.

Weird, I think someone else here said they have that. @fang maybe? It is an amazing graphic. Timecode is the best.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 04:14:55 PM »
I went  hard on the Christian Hosoi look in 87.  Spandex ,   vert shirt (cut nearly the entire sides out of a shirt). Heavily posed judo launch ramp airs, for the record I pulled ones where my foot would get about 3” away from the board.

Were you a super handsome Asian\Hawaiin dude?  I hope no meth was involved. 

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 04:33:06 PM »
I saw Nick Boserio pull up the pant leg on his front leg before ollieing and I realized I do that too. Not really on purpose but I’ll give credit where it’s due.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 04:38:22 PM »
I learned full cab big flips because of Mike Mo and I learned ghetto birds because of Jimmy Carlin.
Actually because of those two dudes, i spent a lot of time learning wacky/obscure tricks on flatground, but i don't regret it at all.

As i got older i worked on actually wrapping my impossibles (somewhat) properly because of Dylan

although more film-related than skate related, i recently bought a super 8 film camera because i love the way Ben Chadourne and Josh Stewart's recent edits have looked, even though i'm pretty sure they used 16mm, i still really like the way the footage comes out.

Hotpocket

• Rep: -26
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »
Idk but if I ever choose to nollie bs bigspin something (rare), I go fast and cross my arms like Cody Mac lol

Also feel like Ishod any time my tounge involuntarily pops out

Skating is weird huh

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 05:35:05 PM »
i wanted to be sean pablo in 2015 when i was a little boy.
that was fun

i kinda just try to go fast and look pissed off now so people think im much better than i actually am.
also I sometimes inadvertantly do the T-Funk knee crouch thing and i'm really pissed over that one. hopefully that pattern will be broken in like a month or so. still don't have safety hands so i'm proud of that.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 06:04:24 PM »
I make a sneezy face Like Ronnie Bertino when I look over my shoulder at potential oncoming traffic. I just started doing this recently and unintentionally but I’m cool with having anything in common with Mr. Butts.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 06:10:51 PM »
Pretty bad piss drunx cos play as a lad. Like heinous.
Now I'm grown and koichiro uehara is who I try to skate like, try to. I'm very bad.
Whoa. Danger.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »
Two words:  Ghetto Gown
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

dbart

• Rep: 0
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 06:37:30 PM »
frontside flips on quarter pipes cause of GT
had a mini ramp phase after watching cheese and crackers
baker 3... rest is history
BSE

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 07:58:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Were you a super handsome Asian\Hawaiin dude?  I hope no meth was involved.
I tan well but unfortunately no.  I’ve always steered very clear of meth but I did get to skate with hosoi in 93 and 95.  93 times were cool he kept the meth undercover but in 95 I met the worst version of my hero.  I still love his skating just not a fan of his choices, arrogance and god squad stance.  Anyone that laughs maniacally at their own jokes and personal experiences are awful.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2020, 08:54:30 PM »
Atlanta Braves hat because of Reynolds

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2020, 08:55:48 PM »
I dressed like a Shortys Fulfill The Dream Smolik around the age of 12. Tight black t shirt, crazy baggy jeans. Did own osiris’ though.

Rolled with a crew who went through a PJLWHL phase. Black accels, blank tees and blue jeans. Could raise our arms above our shoulders and strictly skated ledges for years. I honestly kind of hate PJ Ladd because of the way he impacted my life.

I, without a doubt, tried to emulate Sorry Penny I’m so many ways outside of my clothing. Mini ramps, nollies on transitions, the whole 9. I legitimately almost got that eye of horus tattoo on my hand as well. Thankfully, my homie Calvin had a pentagram tattood on his palm and said it was a waste of time with how often it needed to get touched up.

Merman

• Rep: -40
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2020, 09:04:50 PM »
I basically hit the pen and then huck myself across hips and down pathetically small gaps imagining myself tweaking and catching everything like Diego Najera. In reality I look like a chaotic flying mess on his first day of self defense classes at a McDojo. 

blowjobtofakie

• Rep: 103
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2020, 09:51:46 PM »
I basically hit the pen and then huck myself across hips and down pathetically small gaps imagining myself tweaking and catching everything like Diego Najera. In reality I look like a chaotic flying mess on his first day of self defense classes at a McDojo.

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2020, 12:47:48 AM »
I switch backlipped Hollywood 16 in an attempt to mimic Miles....