Author Topic: Thrifters Drifters & Grifters: Lucky Finds & Holy Grails  (Read 3354 times)

Digital Rasta

Thrifters Drifters & Grifters: Lucky Finds & Holy Grails
« on: October 14, 2020, 08:32:06 PM »
This thread is for discussing cool shoes and gear you have found at actual physical thrift stores, or whatever you may be looking for. I know there's Depop and Grail'd and Poshmark and all that stuff now but I'm old fashioned and prefer to hit up discount and clearance racks, the Goodwill and Salvation Army where I can actually get a look at the clothes and shoes before I purchase. Although I must admit it kinda sucks since CoVid you can't try anything on, but at least you can hold it up and look at it too see if it may fit or if it has any damage, defects or worse yet alterations. I have been lurking thrift stores locally for a decade and I have been lucky enough to find some really nice stuff, some to keep for myself and some I made a cool couple bucks off of.

Lucky Finds:
-Shoes. Skate-specific shoes are not that easy to find but I've sold lots of Adidas Gazelles, Sambas, Campus's, Nike Tennis Classics, Special-edition laser engraved Nike Cortez, all red suede Jordan 1's, Magista indoor soccer jawns. Recently found a pair of Reebok Classics and some Adidas Skateboarding Superstars with the vulc sole, both fit perfect look new and I found em on the same trip. I'm looking for some New Balance dad shoes lately. Oh, I sold some brand new Adi Stan Smiths I found at Ross, they were metallic silver Ostrich leather and they looked pretty fucking wild
-Pants. Today I found a pair of vintage Levi's 501's in my size, workwear blue wash (slightly Royal) with 1% stretch. Been looking for some 501's with stretch since I started this endeavour. Super fucking psyched about this. They fit perfect and cost $11.
I've sold Carhartt, Dickies, Cabela's, Wrangler, Levi's, Polo, Tommy Hil, Dockers, Red Kap, Lee, Ben Davis, Ben Sherman, Penguin, Lacoste, Eddie Bauer, Calvin Klein, Ecko Unltd., Undefeated, Rocawear, Southpole, way more. Sold tons of BDU cargo pants- Army Surplus in various camo patterns, Rothco, Tru-Spec, Realtree and CHAMS.
-Tops. I found a Royce Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Gi bought it for $30 and flipped for big cash. Flipped a like new, all black Marmot ski jacket outerwear set with a down filled inner liner jacket- 2 jackets in one, bought it for $13, big come-up. Anoraks and Parkas are hard to come by.
I've sold a lot of track jackets and windbreakers over the years- Nike, Adidas, New Balance, Asics, Kappa, Volcom, Marc Ecko, Pony, RVCA, Saucony, Umbro, Puma, Li-Ning, Reebok, and a thousand sports team jerseys

Holy Grails:
- I have plenty of clothes and am not really looking for much for me any more but I would like for once to come across a Nike Barcelona Jersey not in a ridiculously tiny size that might actually fit my bulky ass torso. The Blue 501's and Adi Shelltoes I both scored recently, I had been looking for a long time and they are both mint condition, stoked. Would like to hear what kinda shit you guys have been scouring the Earth and combing the deserts for.

I should change my eBay Username to I CATER 2 SKATERS
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:14:33 AM by Digital Rasta »

vxfinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • canadian filmer. vx4life
    • YouTube channel, skate vids and camera reviews avatar image
Re: Thrift Drifters and Grifters: Lucky Finds and Holy Grails
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »
my buddy found an authentic gucci bag once. still had the pin on it worth about 250 and he wears it on a chain now. probably the best find ive heard of at my thrift store
vx4life

Junglist

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 08:58:24 PM »
I saw a near mint pair of white Reynolds 2’s in my size at the thrift in 2017 and I can’t fucking believe I didn’t buy them. They were like $6

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 09:14:11 PM »
i found a pair of Herman G-Code's but i was growing at the time and never got to wear em.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 11:05:29 PM »
man I go stories for days about thrift stores. first one that comes to mind is a DQM shirt I found recently. I went there in 2011 on my first visit to NY. Met the real Dave at his BMX x Skateshop the same day. Found a Huf shirt same day as the DQM, couple days after he passed and I definitely willed that one into existence. Or Huf was looking out for me cause he was coo like that.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 11:15:46 PM »
Recently found these for pretty cheap:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFBlBz8l6jk/?igshid=1gzxmsooxnhx0
Not a bad score, on the hunt for some I-paths though

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 11:40:37 PM »
This thread is built for dumpster divers like me!

Just scored a really vintage board from the late 1990s - early 2000s. Pending collection on the weekend but I'll definitely post pics once it's delivered.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Octobre Rouge.

• Rep: -2
  • Black metal and ledge skating
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 01:50:22 AM »
I found a Seek Horx Serie in good condition for 17€. As a AWS fan, I was sooo stoked because Seek wasn't trendy in Europe.

I also scored some 70's banana boards throughout the years. They are always dirt cheap.

Sadly, I missed the holy grail two years ago. A guy was selling a beaten up Santa Cruz "celtic roses" (Dressen's pro model) with Stage IV indy and Slime Balls for 2€. I went skating with my friends instead of placing an order and boooom, the board was gone.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 02:44:47 AM »
Just got some puma court low leathers that have lasted like a 2 months of consistent use. Years ago I found some globe Mullen's that are still in my closet

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 05:50:44 AM »
bought all these for $50 on CL last year.
Really wanted to tony hawk autograph. The rest is just gravy
I gave away the huckjam and element deck. I may skate the Listen! to deck on a 00's setup

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 06:40:25 AM »
My local thrift stores have never had good finds for me.
I saw some LRG tees at goodwill yesterday lol
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 08:32:25 AM »
my buddy found an authentic gucci bag once. still had the pin on it worth about 250 and he wears it on a chain now. probably the best find ive heard of at my thrift store
I met some dude at a party in 2015 who was wearing a mint Versace bomber jacket with the gold chain print all-over, he claimed he found it at the Goodwill. That sparked me to look for designer gear, but no dice for the most part. I have for sale some vintage Diesel men's jeans that are made in Italy, and have found True Religion women's jeans for decent prices too.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 08:40:20 AM »
Just got some puma court low leathers that have lasted like a 2 months of consistent use. Years ago I found some globe Mullen's that are still in my closet
I found some brand new Puma Suedes in Black/White the other day, went back a couple days later and boom!  Gone. Ya gotta be quick with the popular shoe models

Digital Rasta

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 09:08:20 AM »
What are those? Can't remember exactly what Vans Mike Carrolls look like but those remind me of em

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 09:27:24 AM »
those are the mike carrolls

I've found so much over the years. old stock rowley og's, two pairs of vans old skools in good condition in my size,
a pair of savier's that I ended up ebaying for not much, but still funny to find in what was probably 2015.

Definitely a lot of my best pants, carhartt, levis, etc. often brand new. I found an arthur russell single for 1$ definitely a crazy one.

Recently I found a pair of jordan 9's and a pair of foamposites, but later figured out they were fakes. At least they were in my size and cheap though : /

theres probably a lot I'm forgetting
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Digital Rasta

Re: Thrifters Drifters & Grifters: Lucky Finds & Holy Grails
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 12:25:58 PM »
Here's some of the men's pants and jeans I have for sale:

Levi's vintage Panetela's 70s westernwear dacron polyester pants, Tweed brown
Waist 40" Inseam 29" Rise 13" Leg Opening 10" Regular Fit, Flared Leg

Calvin Klein vintage Modal/Cotton blend 90s stretch jeans, warm and soft, Off-Black
Waist 39" Inseam 29" Rise 12" Leg Opening 7.5" Regular Fit, Slight Tapered Leg

Rocawear vintage 100% cotton embroidered cargo back pocket jeans, Jet Black
Waist 38" Inseam 32" Rise 13" Leg Opening 10" Relaxed Fit, Straight Leg

Levi's 501's vintage 90's 100% cotton button fly Jeans, stonewashed light Blue
Waist 38" Inseam 30" Rise 11.5" Leg Opening 8.5" Classic Fit, Slight Tapered Leg

CHAMS British Army vintage Cargo utility pocket pants, 60/40 cotton/poly, Desert Camo
Waist 37" Inseam 31" Rise 12" Leg Opening 8.5" Slim Fit, Straight Leg

Fourstar Collective Twill 5-Pocket 2% stretch pants, from mid 2010's, Dark Plum Purple
Waist 37" Inseam 29.5" Rise 11" Leg Opening 8" Slim Fit, Tapered Leg

Volcom Corpo Class vintage cotton/poly blend Chino pants, Stone Khaki
Waist 36" Inseam 32" Rise 11" Leg Opening 8.5", Slim Fit, Slight Tapered Leg

Calvin Klein 'Drainpipe' straight 100% cotton denim jeans, creased, faded Black with tan stitching
Waist 36" Inseam 30" Rise 12" Leg Opening 9" Loose Fit, Straight Leg

Diesel Industries vintage made in Italy denim jeans, cropped hems, faded Blue
Waist 36" Inseam 28" Rise 12" Leg Opening 9" Regular Fit, Straight Leg

Army Surplus vintage BDU cargo utility pocket pants, 90's Woodland Camo pattern
Waist 35" Inseam 32" Rise 12" Leg Opening 8.5" Loose Fit, Slight Tapered Leg
(these have the adjustable waist and ankle cinches everybody likes)

Penguin by Munsingwear Twill 5-Pocket stretch pants, new with tags, dark Navy Blue
Waist 34" Inseam 32" Rise 10" Leg Opening 7.75" Slim Fit, Tapered Leg

Ben Sherman vintage flared leg boot-fit 100% cotton denim jeans, washed and treated dark Blue
Waist 33" Inseam 30" Rise 10" Leg Opening 10" Slim Fit, Flared Leg
(for Ethan Fowler cosplay)

Send me a PM if any of em catch your fancy.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2020, 01:02:36 PM »
Lucky Find: 1) As a teenager I worked in a skate shop in Bahrain (Persian Gulf). I went back to visit them in early 2000s and the boss told me to go in the attic and take what I wanted from stock he could not sell. This was before people were going crazy with deck collecting and he had dozens of 1980s/ 90s Santa Cruz, Powell and H Street boards. Since I was travelling I decided to take only two. I got my friend a Poorhouse bc I remembered he liked that brand and myself Dressen Celtic Rose bc, I used to love that board. Anyway, I thought nothing of it for years until I needed money for a surfboard and sold it for $200 like a chump. So its now a Holy Grail to get that board back.... Fuck... I'm depressed just thinking about it. Mine was green/ blue on a natural wood but I'd settle for any color combo.

2) My bike mechanic gave me a board and told me to pass it on to a worthy kid. It had some great condition Stage 8s so I kept those and put some Krux DL kingpins on them to use.

3) My non-skateboarding friend purchased a yard sale complete for $10 and sent me a pic. Needless to say it had 131 Stage II indy's that I promptly talked him out of. I'm pretty stoked on these. Barely used, no grind marks and OG red cloud bushings.

My only other Holy Grail aside from the Dressen Celtic Roses would be some green anodized Stage 5 Indys.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2020, 01:29:48 PM »
For the ladies, if there are even any women left on SLAP:

Ken Cole vintage women's cotton blend stretch denim trousers/slacks, Dark Navy pinstriped
Waist 32" Inseam 30" Rise 9.5" Leg Opening 9.75" Loose Fit, Straight Leg, Size 8

Levi's vintage women's 505 cotton blend stretch denim jean, Flat Black like the OG Kr3w Reynolds jeans
Waist 31" Inseam 31" Rise 9.5 Leg Opening 7.75" Regular Fit, Straight Leg, Size 8

Levi's Mens/Womens 511 jeans in cotton blend stretch denim, new with tags, Dirty Blue (green wash)
Waist 30" Inseam 29" Rise 9" Leg Opening 7" Slim Fit, Tapered Leg, Size 7
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:44:21 PM by Digital Rasta »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2020, 06:55:22 PM »

What is this "ladies" you speak of?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 07:45:24 PM »
If you guys like thrifting you guys should come to Guatemala.You can find brand new Dickies, HUF, LRG shit all the time over here for around 5 dollars. Now for the crazy ones, I've seen some gnarly Supreme gear that goes for hundreds of dollars for like 10 dollars. A friend of mine even found the Spitfire x Supreme Classics still in the package for like 4 dollars. Not that Im a Supreme fan or anything it's just shocking how much gold you can find if you know where to look.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2020, 08:01:55 PM »
Didn't realize that the Eric Dressen Celtic Rose deck was so sought after. The Rocawear jeans ^up there just sold btw

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2020, 09:24:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What are those? Can't remember exactly what Vans Mike Carrolls look like but those remind me of em
they are OG Mike Carrolls

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 09:27:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What is this "ladies" you speak of?
think its fine kind of deodorant
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2020, 09:45:13 PM »
Recently I bought a mid-late 90s think deck great graphic of a chick on it with og ventures, no wheels, old style Allen key hardware for 15$ off some girl who was just selling shit out front of her apartment. Everything was brand new like it had been sitting in a closet for 20years. I had a similar think deck as a kid that I turned into a cruiser board before people had cruiser boards but I gave it away so it’s nice to have this one.

2$ element shirt from thrift store. Probs from early 2000s, it feels really good and I used to love element back in the day. Kenny Hughes is my favorite skater.

I used to get lots of good stuff off craigslist like 7+ years ago. People were selling completes with older stage indys, ventures for 30$, I’d offer them 20$. I would offer people 10$ for new decks and they’d usually take it. Got some decent old 5 boro, Consolidated stuff I probably shouldn’t have skated on, saved a couple. Got a shop board from my old local that closed that’s sick. It was the only way I could justify skating new gear in the winter or rain board, not really give a fuck, paint on it and give it away.

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2020, 09:50:56 PM »
My best find is a 70s brown fiberglass eames Shell for $30

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 03:19:31 AM »

$25 on my local craigslist. Oldest thing I have in my stash is my first deck from 2002, this predates that by a good few years. Some scuffs on the paint but the condition good for the age. 58mm wheels with the graphic intact and the bearings still spin.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2020, 04:54:52 AM »
World industries jeans from around 2000 on my size, brand new for 2€.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2020, 05:00:49 AM »

$25 on my local craigslist. Oldest thing I have in my stash is my first deck from 2002, this predates that by a good few years. Some scuffs on the paint but the condition good for the age. 58mm wheels with the graphic intact and the bearings still spin.

Pic of the wheels?

I was going to say they are huge, which I like, but it makes sense being 58mm.  The crusty old Spitfires like that were amazing and lasted twice as long as the new bright white ones.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Nicki

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2020, 05:13:04 AM »
Here's some of the men's pants and jeans I have for sale:

Levi's vintage Panetela's 70s westernwear dacron polyester pants, Tweed brown
Waist 40" Inseam 29" Rise 13" Leg Opening 10" Regular Fit, Flared Leg

Calvin Klein vintage Modal/Cotton blend 90s stretch jeans, warm and soft, Off-Black
Waist 39" Inseam 29" Rise 12" Leg Opening 7.5" Regular Fit, Slight Tapered Leg

Rocawear vintage 100% cotton embroidered cargo back pocket jeans, Jet Black
Waist 38" Inseam 32" Rise 13" Leg Opening 10" Relaxed Fit, Straight Leg

Levi's 501's vintage 90's 100% cotton button fly Jeans, stonewashed light Blue
Waist 38" Inseam 30" Rise 11.5" Leg Opening 8.5" Classic Fit, Slight Tapered Leg

CHAMS British Army vintage Cargo utility pocket pants, 60/40 cotton/poly, Desert Camo
Waist 37" Inseam 31" Rise 12" Leg Opening 8.5" Slim Fit, Straight Leg

Fourstar Collective Twill 5-Pocket 2% stretch pants, from mid 2010's, Dark Plum Purple
Waist 37" Inseam 29.5" Rise 11" Leg Opening 8" Slim Fit, Tapered Leg

Volcom Corpo Class vintage cotton/poly blend Chino pants, Stone Khaki
Waist 36" Inseam 32" Rise 11" Leg Opening 8.5", Slim Fit, Slight Tapered Leg

Calvin Klein 'Drainpipe' straight 100% cotton denim jeans, creased, faded Black with tan stitching
Waist 36" Inseam 30" Rise 12" Leg Opening 9" Loose Fit, Straight Leg

Diesel Industries vintage made in Italy denim jeans, cropped hems, faded Blue
Waist 36" Inseam 28" Rise 12" Leg Opening 9" Regular Fit, Straight Leg

Army Surplus vintage BDU cargo utility pocket pants, 90's Woodland Camo pattern
Waist 35" Inseam 32" Rise 12" Leg Opening 8.5" Loose Fit, Slight Tapered Leg
(these have the adjustable waist and ankle cinches everybody likes)

Penguin by Munsingwear Twill 5-Pocket stretch pants, new with tags, dark Navy Blue
Waist 34" Inseam 32" Rise 10" Leg Opening 7.75" Slim Fit, Tapered Leg

Ben Sherman vintage flared leg boot-fit 100% cotton denim jeans, washed and treated dark Blue
Waist 33" Inseam 30" Rise 10" Leg Opening 10" Slim Fit, Flared Leg
(for Ethan Fowler cosplay)

Send me a PM if any of em catch your fancy.

Moved to EVENTS/CLASSIFIEDS

Digital Rasta

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2020, 07:18:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
they are OG Mike Carrolls
Nice. I would love to find a pair of I-path Cats