Author Topic: Thrifters Drifters & Grifters: Lucky Finds & Holy Grails  (Read 3355 times)

Digital Rasta

Re: Thrifters Drifters & Grifters: Lucky Finds & Holy Grails
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2020, 07:21:39 AM »
Seems like you guys are finding a lot of skateboard parts and completes. I never even see that stuff around. I would kill to find a real plastic 70s Banana board but I would settle for a Penny Cruiser if I could find one

Yossi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2020, 07:45:59 AM »
I only have luck finding skate DVDs at thrift stores. In the past couple years I got the Zero box set, Yeah Right!, Stay Gold, a couple thrasher vids, What if?, and some local shop vids.

Really disappointing to find a crisp pair of dickies in the 34 section of the pants rack, and upon further inspection, they're size 38 or 40. Happens every time.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »
I have a couple Polo jackets that I've thrifted, both dear to me. The last one I got (khaki with a dark green tartan under the collar) is extra special because there was a flipper in the aisle next to me and he looked crushed that he didn't get it. I hate flippers.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2020, 10:39:06 AM »
Expand Quote

$25 on my local craigslist. Oldest thing I have in my stash is my first deck from 2002, this predates that by a good few years. Some scuffs on the paint but the condition good for the age. 58mm wheels with the graphic intact and the bearings still spin.
[close]

Pic of the wheels?

I was going to say they are huge, which I like, but it makes sense being 58mm.  The crusty old Spitfires like that were amazing and lasted twice as long as the new bright white ones.

No idea what brand they are, look almost like a kids board. Attached to some Mack trucks.

Did some Googling - I know someone on eBay is selling stickers with this graphic (Da Bomb). Other than that Google isn't giving me anything else.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2020, 10:43:35 AM »
Moved in with someone a few years ago who had an Mullen enjoi complete from probably like 2001, Tensors with the slider, 50mm Rictas, and bones reds, the graphic is fucked but still a funny thing to have.

I have lots of VHS but the best find was definitely an original release version of Hokus Pokus that I found at a random record store in north PA. Box is slightly worn but the tape quality is fucking perfect.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2020, 10:44:19 AM »
A Halloween movie shirt for $8 and a Logitech mouse pad come up today.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2020, 10:45:46 AM »
I have a couple Polo jackets that I've thrifted, both dear to me. The last one I got (khaki with a dark green tartan under the collar) is extra special because there was a flipper in the aisle next to me and he looked crushed that he didn't get it. I hate flippers.
that’s my sister man. If I go to a thrift store with family I have to race to the men’s section before she gets there and grabs it all and marks it way up.

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2020, 08:34:58 AM »
One time I got a creature board with 149 stage 9s and these big soft momentum Baku wheels for $8. Traded the stage 9s.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

$25 on my local craigslist. Oldest thing I have in my stash is my first deck from 2002, this predates that by a good few years. Some scuffs on the paint but the condition good for the age. 58mm wheels with the graphic intact and the bearings still spin.
[close]

Pic of the wheels?

I was going to say they are huge, which I like, but it makes sense being 58mm.  The crusty old Spitfires like that were amazing and lasted twice as long as the new bright white ones.
[close]

No idea what brand they are, look almost like a kids board. Attached to some Mack trucks.

Did some Googling - I know someone on eBay is selling stickers with this graphic (Da Bomb). Other than that Google isn't giving me anything else.
Hmmmmm maybe a rollerskate brand?
https://skatesus.com/

I've scored mad shit from thrift stores and pawn shops if you guys ever get a chance look in the golfing snowboard/surf section sometimes you find hidden gems of true gold.

Found a Welcome deck for $20 with some Indy 149s and Bones wheels along with an Element deck with Silver trucks and spitfire wheels.  I got a pair of Thrasher Nike Blazer collabs in my size at a pawn shop and I don't regret the $200 I spent on them cream colored shits.

I highly recommend thrift stores/pawn shops for shoes now mind you at pawn shops they're going to stiff ya.    WPB FtLaudy to Miami I'm the #1 stunner when searching for anything rad. I don't look at the print I look at the collar where the sizes are and grab it do I regret some of the purchases sure?! but I regret not picking it up if I don't have the chance.

I'm sure Portland pals know about this but the bins they sell you clothes by the pound and if you go by my recommendations you'll find some hidden gems check the collar and whatnot I've gotten Carhartts Dickies Ben Davis CCS pants Volcom jeans and dress slacks Levi's out the wazzoo and tons of punk/crusty shirts with rad prints.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 10:52:40 AM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2020, 09:58:23 AM »
Ive been wearing 90% thrift stuff for a few while. Carhatt and actual made in usa work brands are plentiful in the midwest.  Flannels/jackets/work pants/jeans theres always tons of that shit it any color you could want. Whats harder to find is good t-shirts.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2020, 08:47:22 AM »
I got a pair of Thrasher Nike Blazer collabs in my size at a pawn shop and I don't regret the $200 I spent on them cream colored shits.
I had those too, rad looking shoe. The ones BA wore when he bluntslid the hubba at Dolores Park. Thrasher should do another blazer ASAP

Digital Rasta

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2020, 08:50:08 AM »
Whats harder to find is good t-shirts.
This is true. The t-shirts are always pilled, ripped, stained, graphic peeling off there's always some kinda catch with the t-shirts. Goofy graphics too, like a cartoon grim reaper riding a black cat. They get some wacky stuff to sell around Halloween every year.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2020, 11:45:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Whats harder to find is good t-shirts.
[close]
This is true. The t-shirts are always pilled, ripped, stained, graphic peeling off there's always some kinda catch with the t-shirts. Goofy graphics too, like a cartoon grim reaper riding a black cat. They get some wacky stuff to sell around Halloween every year.
I get way too many bootleg post punk shirts off etsy. Where else can I find a sick Wire Shirt or a Teenage Jesus hoodie?

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2020, 12:26:49 PM »
You guys are lucky.  All I've ever got are some random framed "Art", some cool pint glasses, and some hats (I only buy thrift hats if they are brand new/unworn).  My wife gets good stuff, but I think that's b/c women swap out clothes like every season.  The men's stuff is always way worn out and gross. 

I've heard stories from friends in CA (SF or LA) that AM/flow riders will sell a bunch of their box at places like Buffalo Exchange, and you can find brand new skate gear.  I'd love to see that. 

Acky Jacky

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2020, 01:53:57 PM »
I found a pair of Formula 4 classic 52s in their original packaging for 5 bucks in NYC, pretty lucky.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2020, 02:08:12 PM »
I found a pair of unreleased FA sk8 His at goodwill years ago and said I’d get em the next day and they were gone . My biggest regret in life . Then again I found my grail Tiffany blazers brand new a decade after release at that goodwill so I figured maybe the universe had better plans for them cause I was prolly gonna resell em .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2020, 07:38:30 PM »
I found a pair of unreleased FA sk8 His at goodwill years ago and said I’d get em the next day and they were gone . My biggest regret in life . Then again I found my grail Tiffany blazers brand new a decade after release at that goodwill so I figured maybe the universe had better plans for them cause I was prolly gonna resell em .
woah... what did those sk8-his look like

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2020, 04:02:58 AM »

Flippers are ruining Savers (is this store everywhere or just IL and MO?). I've got half a wardrobe of Polo, North Face and Patagonia gear from this place so i look pretty decent at work. I like to dress nice but I definitely don't like to pay regular prices. Lately I see a lot of women going through the men's section and loading the carts with all the best name brands (in every size, which gives them away). Also weird, seems like they (Savers) hikes up the Nike, adidas and under Armour gear no matter what the condition is.

Weirdest find in there thus far was Shorty's jeans, 5 years ago. Totally shredded. Why weird: 99% positive that they were mine in 1999. Gave them to my crack addicted friend in 2008 but based on vicinity to this Savers and the wear and tear, I think my gear made it to the shop 

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2020, 08:31:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Flippers are ruining Savers (is this store everywhere or just IL and MO?). I've got half a wardrobe of Polo, North Face and Patagonia gear from this place so i look pretty decent at work. I like to dress nice but I definitely don't like to pay regular prices. Lately I see a lot of women going through the men's section and loading the carts with all the best name brands (in every size, which gives them away). Also weird, seems like they (Savers) hikes up the Nike, adidas and under Armour gear no matter what the condition is.

Weirdest find in there thus far was Shorty's jeans, 5 years ago. Totally shredded. Why weird: 99% positive that they were mine in 1999. Gave them to my crack addicted friend in 2008 but based on vicinity to this Savers and the wear and tear, I think my gear made it to the shop

Did the jeans still fit?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2020, 08:35:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Did the jeans still fit?

Yes, BUT not as baggy as they were back in the day at all. More TTS now

:'(

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2020, 09:40:51 AM »
zoo york signed board signed by steez ortiz, zered, ron deily etc. - $5.00

good come sausage

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2020, 09:51:02 AM »
zoo york signed board signed by steez ortiz, zered, ron deily etc. - $5.00

made me think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abtB1JGmmC4

(not to insult these guys though, but the $5.00 part)

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2020, 10:23:02 AM »
i live to thrift. i love to flip vintage shirts. i found a smoking girl sakura hookups deck nos for 40 at a goodwill. just a buddy find an old dbz shirt by hookups. wish i could find an xl but for some reason hookups shirts are insanely expensive.

i have found a on of great shirts and odd things.
even the steven

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2020, 10:46:26 AM »
i’ve found a lot of skate t shirts at thrift stores. one time found a ishod black soty thrasher shirt but was too small, should’ve bought it anyway. i’ve found a lot of skate videos too. off top of my head i’ve found modus operandi vhs, some 411’s, krooked khronicles, the final flare, in bloom, tws outliers, and more

veritas

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2020, 12:15:10 PM »
Photosynthesis era Pendleton Kalis deck that was gripped and skated but not too damaged. Purchased on the shuttle platform a couple years ago at grand central, for 25 bucks from a random Craigslist kid who appeared to need the money for percs

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2020, 02:21:02 PM »
Found an OG Baker Bootleg t shirt in a pile of generally random, common, nothing special graphic t's. It was however in Japan, so everything in shirt was $60 even if it was just from the Gap.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2020, 07:41:43 PM »
Photosynthesis era Pendleton Kalis deck that was gripped and skated but not too damaged. Purchased on the shuttle platform a couple years ago at grand central, for 25 bucks from a random Craigslist kid who appeared to need the money for percs

Beautiful find, please post pics.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2020, 02:41:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
woah... what did those sk8-his look like

IIRC they were just regular black and white ones with the classic FA logo on the sides . Only stand out was the tongue which had that late 80s/90s.colorful stacked block Letter vans logo. And they had the foam exposed like the blazers do sometimes.

Again this was years ago and I think there was a couple different vans there that day so I might be mixing em up but I’ve googled around and never seen them still.

That good will used to be great for finding skate stuff cause it was right in Hollywood but I think they’ve changed the distribution up or something cause it’s been pretty lack luster in recent years .

I’ve found like 5-6 pairs of blazers some new dead stock some basically current season. And a great pair of malto four star jeans that lasted me years. Maybe I’ll go tomorrow
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2020, 06:28:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Did the jeans still fit?
[close]

Yes, BUT not as baggy as they were back in the day at all. More TTS now

:'(

There is some special weirdness about finding something that used to be yours in a thrift store or in the wild.
a few years ago I donated some shoes I had kicking around, including a pair of (pretty shredded) maroon Rowleys. Ended up seeing some junky wearing them while screaming at his girlfriend at a bus stop a few months later. I got weirdly jealous for a second, like "Yo those are MINE!"

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2020, 06:34:47 AM »
Ive got two good finds Im hyped on, First was an alphanumeric tee in great condition I found for $2 at some Thrift store ran by a local rehab organization. And the Other was I found Skate More, I.E., Destroying America, and a couple other random DVDs at the local record store. I have a friend that got Menikmati there too for like $3.

Oh I also found an off white hat at salvation army but I sold that immediately fuck off white