Author Topic: 35 years old learn skateboard  (Read 290 times)

rettafunk

• Rep: 0
35 years old learn skateboard
« on: October 15, 2020, 04:13:08 AM »
I am a woman, I am 35 years old I wonder is it too old age to learn to skateboard? my friends said I should try rollerblading because it would be more suitable for my age.

Blind Fisherman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
Re: 35 years old learn skateboard
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 09:02:05 AM »
Never too old to start, but be aware of your limits. Seen too many people start later in life and get wrecked trying to step way beyond their abilities.
This thread makes me feel like I just came across two Juggalos fucking in an alley.

graypubes

• Rep: -17
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 12:31:07 PM »
Yea go for it but just start on smooth flat ground and get really comfortable with that.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 04:09:20 PM »
My girls~ that age range. She skates. But yes take it slow. Big. Big wheels. And fuckin have fun.

Also welcome to the party!
Whoa. Danger.

Banned from the room

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
    • Aural Buthcheryers
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 06:17:13 PM »

You definitely need these because you're late for Soul crushing ruin on the manny pad
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

dofrenzy

• Rep: 13
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »
I am male, started at age 50, and as someone mentioned about older people.....I took a slam about 6 weeks ago and I am having a hard time with my knees.  Definitely no skating for a while but I’ll be back.

For me, I just wanted to drop-in to a quarter pipe as a challenge for my 50th b-day (something I failed at when I was about 15-16 years old) so yeah, maybe some mid-life crisis issues, but whatever....I had no idea how much fun skateboarding is and once I started I just couldn’t stop.  Seriously, some of the most rewarding, challenging fun I have ever experienced.  I wear a helmet, full pads, and when I was really new I wore hip/thigh/tailbone pads that you wear like shorts (I ride mostly ramps but am working up my ground skills as well).

I suggest you go with what YOU like, forget about “age appropriate” there is really no such thing.  Do what you like and what is fun.  Do what motivates you and what you can’t stop thinking about.  Try skateboarding and rollerblading and scootering and rock-climbing and whatever until you find something that clicks.

There are plenty of stories about people who slam on their first try and break elbows and wrists or have other injuries, so start slow, wear pads, and find YOUR thing that you love to do.

If you are totally new, wear the gear and start with pushing, cruising and carving, and tic-tacs.  Those are the basis of all skateboarding and that stuff all by itself is crazy fun.

Best of luck to you.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 440
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »
Life is too short to worry about what fools think about you and skateboarding. Have fun, be safe and definitely pad up. Getting hurt in your 30s and beyond sucks a lot more than in your 20s.
Did any of you guys ever notice that if you took off the end "er" from his name, moved the "b" to after the "i" and then added an "l" to the "b" that you just moved, you'd spell "Bible"?

Banned from the room

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
    • Aural Buthcheryers
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 05:53:23 AM »
Diet is key.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 831
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 07:24:31 AM »
Your friends are losers.....welcome to skateboarding.....

Poke around on Instagram there might be a local girls/women's group if you need people to skate with or inspiration.  We have one up where I live: @latebloomersskateclub

There's a broader range of people skating now than there ever has been, so there's no good reason for you not to do it...

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -149
    • My Wife
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 11:20:16 AM »
If you're in the greater Los Angeles area, I'll give you some pointers.

To start, I'd take you to a local grassy park and have you practice running and throwing yourself down on the lawn and rolling over on your shoulder over and over, like tumbles.

Imagine you are skateboarding really fast on concrete. Then, all of a sudden, your board stops dead in its tracks yet your body continues flying forward.

Happens all the time. You have a split second to react. How do you land? What do you do?

Knowing how to fall has saved me from serious injury many times. So, learn that first.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 440
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 03:48:30 AM »
Your friends are losers.....welcome to skateboarding.....

Poke around on Instagram there might be a local girls/women's group if you need people to skate with or inspiration.  We have one up where I live: @latebloomersskateclub

There's a broader range of people skating now than there ever has been, so there's no good reason for you not to do it...

A female friend of mine picked it up at 36 and she's loving it. Still cruising around and doing tic tacs and says her only regret is not starting earlier.

Finding a group to skate with is an important step to ensuing your twice used board doesn't end up on Craigslist. The group setting is less intimidating and everyone improves together; skate parks are notorious for vibing new comers.

Lastly accepting failure is a large part of skateboarding. For every successful trick you see there are 100s of failed attempts they you don't. Being too determined can be a detriment to your enjoyment, I know a kid that was so adamant on landing kickflips he spend 5-7 hours everyday for the last few days trying to land them. Now he says he's on the verge of giving up skating all together. Don't let your stubbornness kill your session and wreck your body.

Shalom.
Did any of you guys ever notice that if you took off the end "er" from his name, moved the "b" to after the "i" and then added an "l" to the "b" that you just moved, you'd spell "Bible"?