Author Topic: Best VX1000 Capture Settings for YouTube?  (Read 1497 times)

vxfinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • canadian filmer. vx4life
    • YouTube channel, skate vids and camera reviews avatar image
Best VX1000 Capture Settings for YouTube?
« on: October 15, 2020, 08:05:50 AM »
Ive been playing around with settings for a while now and I still feel like I havent found the best one for youtube. it will look great when i watch it just using the video player on my pc, but will then look terrible on youtube. or vice versa. The settings ive been going with lately is just dropping clips into an empty timeline, and exporting in 720p. it looks pretty good but i know there is a better method out there!

EDIT: I MEAN EXPORT SETTINGS NOT CAPTURE SETTINGS not sure what i was thinking when i wrote that. and i use premiere pro for any one wondering
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:53:42 PM by vxfinn »
vx4life

vxfinn

Re: Best VX1000 Capture Settings for YouTube?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 08:10:02 AM »
latest vx vid if you wanna check it out. this was uploaded in 720p

https://youtu.be/1PJsgtgSFgw
vx4life

bugtown

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »
Not many people do it but you can always export at 50/60fps

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 12:17:52 PM »
youtube is always going to absolutely destroy the quality. From what you see on your desktop to youtube will be noticeable. You should worry more about your export settings. When I captured I always left the settings to stock. What program are you capturing in?

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 12:30:07 PM »
It’s more about your export settings than your capture settings. Especially since the videos look good on your pc. The best codec for YouTube is h.264. To experience less loss of quality though YouTube’s compression, create an HD timeline, copy and paste your SD timeline you’ve already made into the HD one, and scale up the size of the clips to fit the screen if you need to. (Not horizontally of course, just to the top and bottom.) The finished upload will have less loss of quality. Most vx Thrasher uploads are done this way now and many filmers like Chris Thiessen and Romain Batard have been doing it for awhile. There’s also the option of making the HD timeline 60 de-interlaced frames per second instead of 29.97 fps but this comes down to personal taste. If you’re using FCP or Premiere this is easily do-able but if you’re on iMovie or some shit then idk. Good luck

Edit: I didn’t watch your edit until now, I figured it was really bad upload quality but it honestly looks alright. Looks like you’ve already got the HD timeline thing figured out. You could get slightly more out of it by tweaking your settings here and there but not much. It’s still SD footage from a camera from 1995. Maybe you have HPX fatigue lol
I can see the tricks great, it looks good to me. All I can say is maybe try it at 60 fps. Hope you figure out what you’re looking for.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 12:38:36 PM by Pappy Jones »

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 12:50:47 PM »
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

vxfinn

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 09:57:04 PM »
It’s more about your export settings than your capture settings. Especially since the videos look good on your pc. The best codec for YouTube is h.264. To experience less loss of quality though YouTube’s compression, create an HD timeline, copy and paste your SD timeline you’ve already made into the HD one, and scale up the size of the clips to fit the screen if you need to. (Not horizontally of course, just to the top and bottom.) The finished upload will have less loss of quality. Most vx Thrasher uploads are done this way now and many filmers like Chris Thiessen and Romain Batard have been doing it for awhile. There’s also the option of making the HD timeline 60 de-interlaced frames per second instead of 29.97 fps but this comes down to personal taste. If you’re using FCP or Premiere this is easily do-able but if you’re on iMovie or some shit then idk. Good luck

Edit: I didn’t watch your edit until now, I figured it was really bad upload quality but it honestly looks alright. Looks like you’ve already got the HD timeline thing figured out. You could get slightly more out of it by tweaking your settings here and there but not much. It’s still SD footage from a camera from 1995. Maybe you have HPX fatigue lol
I can see the tricks great, it looks good to me. All I can say is maybe try it at 60 fps. Hope you figure out what you’re looking for.

Hey, yeah i edited my first message to export not capture, not sure what i was thinking lol. and yeah maybe  im watching too many hd vids haha. but ill try out dropping my vx clips into an HD timeline after i finish the edit in the SD timeline. i go right from SD to capturing in 720p. maybe if i go from a 720 timeline to a 720p export it will look better? always worth a shot.
vx4life

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 01:58:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hey, yeah i edited my first message to export not capture, not sure what i was thinking lol. and yeah maybe  im watching too many hd vids haha. but ill try out dropping my vx clips into an HD timeline after i finish the edit in the SD timeline. i go right from SD to capturing in 720p. maybe if i go from a 720 timeline to a 720p export it will look better? always worth a shot.
For sure. Maybe your experience is different based on what software you use but I’m on FCP7 and if I edit in an HD timeline I constantly have to render anything I do to preview it so I’d rather just copy and paste from SD to HD when I’m done and let it all render once I’m finished. Anything else you need to know should be in the video shared above though.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 07:41:35 AM »
Capture stock, export at 1440x1080, square pixels and upload that. Looks sick

bataaard

• Rep: 40
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 04:48:11 PM »

what i do is edit on a timeline the size of my footage except for the titles/text.
then i put this first timeline inside of a 1500x1080 square pixels 60fps (or 50 fps) not interlaced timeline
and scale it up to fit. I slightly stretch it horizontally, because feel like it looks better this way.
then i put my titles/text in this 1080p timeline.
and export it in H264 1500x1080 square pixels 60fps (or 50 fps) not interlaced, bitrate around 25Mbps.

and voilà :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPfnqrlKUPI

you can put it in a 4k or 8k timeline and export at that size so that youtube compresses it better, but its a little overkill imo

vxfinn

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 05:00:53 PM »
what i do is edit on a timeline the size of my footage except for the titles/text.
then i put this first timeline inside of a 1500x1080 square pixels 60fps (or 50 fps) not interlaced timeline
and scale it up to fit. I slightly stretch it horizontally, because feel like it looks better this way.
then i put my titles/text in this 1080p timeline.
and export it in H264 1500x1080 square pixels 60fps (or 50 fps) not interlaced, bitrate around 25Mbps.

and voilà :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPfnqrlKUPI

you can put it in a 4k or 8k timeline and export at that size so that youtube compresses it better, but its a little overkill imo
[/quote]

that footage looks almost HD. how long was the export time tho? haha. Ill give that a try, thanks!!
vx4life

bataaard

• Rep: 40
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 05:25:11 AM »
it's 99% filmed on PAL vxs hence the better quality
and also thanks to the custom presets (color 1 notch before max, sharpness to the max)
good exposure and white balance while filming
and color correction in post (adding contrast mostly)