Author Topic: sloppy baseplate holes :(  (Read 4048 times)

bob george

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
sloppy baseplate holes :(
« on: December 22, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »
I've searched and can't find anything specifically covering this...

To deal with the issue someone mentioned running little washers if the holes are already fucked. That's cool but I just don't remember this happening for all of my skating life. Reflecting on the last maybe 5 years and a number of theeve and indy trucks, they've all wound up with absolutely fucked elliptical holes and become super sloppy setups. I've gotten used to handling it to a point and I do like to skate pretty loose trucks, but it definitely passes a point.

I guess I should tighten my hardware as a ritual before every skate I ever have? Does this happen to everybody - it doesn't seem like it?

Thank you for listening.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
Re: sloppy baseplate holes :(
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 08:41:15 PM »
What trucks? Why don’t you just contact them and return them

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 08:57:33 PM »
Get some Allen head hardware 1”
Packing a really small flat wrench and single Allen key can fit into a wallet.

Dm me and I’ll tell you the best hardware brand. These bolts never get loose. Pretty cheap/core and you can order online

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 09:04:08 PM »
When this happened to me I just replaced the baseplates. If you're skating standard indys these are almost identical to the stock ones(they just have two extra holes):
https://www.tactics.com/independent/6-hole-baseplate-kingpin-1-baseplate
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 09:56:56 PM »
When this happened to me I just replaced the baseplates. If you're skating standard indys these are almost identical to the stock ones(they just have two extra holes):

The 6 hole plates are sicker tho. For sure.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 12:38:50 AM »
gotta regularly make sure the bolts are tight - imagine thats what would cause it.. and as we all know skate hardware  uses really cheap nuts for the bolts so i replace bolts pretty often..
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 04:43:52 AM »
This is somewhat normal on cast baseplates, holes in those will become oval much easier than in forged baseplates (forged are stronger).
If you use your trucks for years this will happen no matter what, especially if bolts get loose.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 05:26:02 AM »
This is somewhat normal on cast baseplates, holes in those will become oval much easier than in forged baseplates (forged are stronger).
If you use your trucks for years this will happen no matter what, especially if bolts get loose.

Yeah I thought this was normal. I always have to keep tightening my bolts to attempt to avoid this but I skate trucks for a long time and this has never not happened to me

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 05:43:29 AM »
See now if trucks wernt made SO cheaply itd be nice.   In 2019 most shit you would purchase for any other reason then skating, youd buy precision cut metal.  But for skating just go with cast metal shit?  Fucking why?
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 462
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 06:00:18 AM »
Koston used to put a sticker on his board under the baseplate of each truck to avoid pressure cracks and the the hardware coming loose.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 07:06:30 AM »
I just say Fuck it.
My bolts have always rattled. I bomb hamburger hill. The cold dead salted earth of black top obeys my every command.

I'm not going to lie though. The ace truck base plate gets deformed to the extreme. When I put a soft wheel on this set up it's dangerous.

Got to be sure about it. One doubt while jalopy boarding and its Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Funky holes funk holes.... Thunders it happened quick but there was a limit to how blown out it would get.

Ace hotdog hallway ked

I think the funky pivot cup the bent axle and me being a naturally born killer make the impossible possible at 30 plus but hey

The axle bend stopped the axle slips

Ace is the place
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 02:21:16 PM »
Only trucks that don't do this for me so far are ATG tensors. They've got little nubs in the baseplate that kinda dig into your board, so it doesn't rattle around too much. I was skeptical so I spent a day just doing nose and tail slides on a curved ledge that'd previously warped the fuck outta my baseplates on past trucks, nothing. Still nothing months later. Course if you're not down with tensors (understandable) I've seen buddies who slightly bend their hardware once they've got everything setup, so there's no wiggle room for the truck. Course now you're stuck buying new hardware with each board.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 03:41:44 PM »
Only trucks that don't do this for me so far are ATG tensors. They've got little nubs in the baseplate that kinda dig into your board, so it doesn't rattle around too much. I was skeptical so I spent a day just doing nose and tail slides on a curved ledge that'd previously warped the fuck outta my baseplates on past trucks, nothing. Still nothing months later. Course if you're not down with tensors (understandable) I've seen buddies who slightly bend their hardware once they've got everything setup, so there's no wiggle room for the truck. Course now you're stuck buying new hardware with each board.
agreed on the tendons atg tho really nice feature

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 03:57:10 PM »

My bolts have always rattled. I bomb hamburger hill. The cold dead salted earth of black top obeys my every command.

Oh shit looks like we got a poet up in this bitch

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1192
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 04:03:18 PM »
Dm me and I’ll tell you the best hardware brand. These bolts never get loose. Pretty cheap/core and you can order online

Why not just say it?   Is there some sort of mystique you’re trying to preserve?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 05:09:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why not just say it?   Is there some sort of mystique you’re trying to preserve?
I thought the same thing, srsly WTF?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 05:56:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I only use New City LTD.
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Diocletian

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 05:58:56 PM »
My truck madness throughout my life has only allowed me to get 3-4 sets down to the axle and they were cast trucks. I’ve never had this baseplate hole issue, just loose kingpins. I think the key is using new hardware whenever you switch out boards. Then making sure you’re not tightening too tight or loose. Bolts flush and the nut lets you know with the turning resistance that it’s about as tight as you should be going, while paying attention to how deep that bolt is sinking in. Forged plates being the ultimate option for never having this problem.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 05:36:39 PM »
My truck madness throughout my life has only allowed me to get 3-4 sets down to the axle and they were cast trucks. I’ve never had this baseplate hole issue, just loose kingpins. I think the key is using new hardware whenever you switch out boards. Then making sure you’re not tightening too tight or loose. Bolts flush and the nut lets you know with the turning resistance that it’s about as tight as you should be going, while paying attention to how deep that bolt is sinking in. Forged plates being the ultimate option for never having this problem.

Everyone should be doing this. If you can't afford new hardware every time you remove a truck or change a board, at least change out the locknuts. If you skate a lot from point A to point B, it wouldn't hurt to also use a little Locktite. A good starting point is to tighten the bolts up flush with the top of the deck, not the griptape. If you have to intermittently tighten them, it will at least give you more leeway to countersink the screw.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2019, 10:42:47 PM »
after setting up a board, I usually tighten the hardware again after the first session. that seems to keep them pretty snug for a while and I just check them occasionally after that.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dm or you’ll never know

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2019, 07:28:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The 6 hole plates are sicker tho. For sure.
Anytime I have baseplate issues, whether it's cracking a baseplate or fucking up the holes on a baseplate i just buy those aftermarket baseplates and transfer my hangers and bushings over. Beats paying 25 bucks for a whole new truck or 50 bucks for a whole new set when all you need is just the baseplate(s). Wish they sold aftermarket hangers too; sucks when your whole truck is fine and only the hanger is fucked up and you have to buy a whole new truck just to get a new hanger.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2019, 09:16:34 PM »
I just say Fuck it.

I'm not going to lie though. The ace truck base plate gets deformed to the extreme. When I put a soft wheel on this set up it's dangerous.

Got to be sure about it. One doubt while jalopy boarding and its Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Funky holes funk holes.... Thunders it happened quick but there was a limit to how blown out it would get.

Ace hotdog hallway ked

I think the funky pivot cup the bent axle and me being a naturally born killer make the impossible possible at 30 plus but hey

The axle bend stopped the axle slips

Ace is the place

Not sure if poetry or fried by acid

PMA

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2019, 06:18:23 AM »
Get some Allen head hardware 1”
Packing a really small flat wrench and single Allen key can fit into a wallet.

This is the best suggestion in this thread. 1" or longer allen hardware and your shit wont come loose/the screw heads wont strip either. I'm able to get 5-6 boards from one set of hardware easily running this type (I usually get shorty's but I doubt it matters).

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2019, 09:50:04 AM »
I use the jerry hsu method of only using two bolts, My shit is always wollered out, just run with it
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2020, 09:35:22 PM »
So I started this topic, but i must've gotten lost along the way and forgotten about it - but I have the solution now {and am skating the same trucks as when i made this thread}!

Someone mentioned it a few replies up as locktite, to be specific I am using - "Loctite 263". I don't shit about tools or this sort of stuff, but an engineering mate put me onto this. 263 is red one at the heavy-duty/permanent end of their products. It's definitely not permanent and you just have to try a little harder to undo your shit, but it's not crazy or annoying or anything.

But yeah, so you put one tiny drop on the tip of your thread {i've done it on hardware and my axles} then just tighten your nut {ideally do this when you don't plan on skating and give it a night to set}

The holes in my baseplates are still sloppy as fuck, but my trucks are held firmly to my deck now and have been for a few months. I'm hyped!

If you did this to brand new trucks I imagine your shit would stay pristine.

that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
So I started this topic, but i must've gotten lost along the way and forgotten about it - but I have the solution now {and am skating the same trucks as when i made this thread}!

Someone mentioned it a few replies up as locktite, to be specific I am using - "Loctite 263". I don't shit about tools or this sort of stuff, but an engineering mate put me onto this. 263 is red one at the heavy-duty/permanent end of their products. It's definitely not permanent and you just have to try a little harder to undo your shit, but it's not crazy or annoying or anything.

But yeah, so you put one tiny drop on the tip of your thread {i've done it on hardware and my axles} then just tighten your nut {ideally do this when you don't plan on skating and give it a night to set}

The holes in my baseplates are still sloppy as fuck, but my trucks are held firmly to my deck now and have been for a few months. I'm hyped!

If you did this to brand new trucks I imagine your shit would stay pristine.

Excellent!

Sounds like you didn't need old mate to sell you his generic brand deck bolts in the super sneaky way either.

I actually thought you were going to say you glued the truck to the deck for a minute there, but I know others use similar products for similar things and it works well.

Normal deck bolts will be ok, but it is the nylon on the nuts that wears out and means the deck bolts come loose, so any and every new set of nuts should hold the trucks firmly in place, once tightened correctly.

If deck bolts are loose, the movement of riding a skateboard will cause the trucks to move from side to side, causing the holes to elongate, which is 100% a user issue, not a warranty issue.

Funny to read some other comments though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.