Author Topic: FS Crooked Grinds  (Read 2471 times)

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
FS Crooked Grinds
« on: October 20, 2020, 06:49:06 AM »
After many years of avoiding them/failing miserably when I tried them, I have been willing myself to finally learn the dreaded front crooks for the past several weeks. I have finally reached a point where I can get one or two proper ones per session, but they are still short and inconsistent. I never know what it was that I did correctly and resulted in a successful (proper pinch and all) one.

Please drop your trick tip expertise on getting them good and consistent or your personal experience with trying/learning them!

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: FS Crooked Grinds
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:06:23 AM »
After many years of avoiding them/failing miserably when I tried them, I have been willing myself to finally learn the dreaded front crooks for the past several weeks. I have finally reached a point where I can get one or two proper ones per session, but they are still short and inconsistent. I never know what it was that I did correctly and resulted in a successful (proper pinch and all) one.

Please drop your trick tip expertise on getting them good and consistent or your personal experience with trying/learning them!

I've also been working on getting these down. Haven't quite landed one yet. I noticed often times my mid foot will catch on the ledge so I think there's something off in my foot placement.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 07:46:21 AM »
The true secret to K-grinds is in your hips and head. How can you grind far, when your bodyweight is not even on the ledge?
So focus on getting your hips and head over the center of the ledge. It should be a vertical line between your front foot and head.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 07:55:05 AM »
The true secret to K-grinds is in your hips and head. How can you grind far, when your bodyweight is not even on the ledge?
So focus on getting your hips and head over the center of the ledge. It should be a vertical line between your front foot and head.

Never thought about it like that.

I always end up leaning too far forward and stick on the ledge or too far back and sliding out. There is no happy medium.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 08:04:21 AM »
Firstly, thanks for using the dedicated trick tip section!

Secondly, like @Vintagebody said it's all about head position and weight placement. I think for BS crooks you can cheese it out and as long as you can do a decent noseslide the crooked grind isn't too far away. To ensure you get your head and weight in the right position it starts with having a solid pop and ollie onto the ledge. The success I've had is from making sure I ollie high (enough) to get my front truck on with back foot high enough to keep it angled.

This is one of those tricks where speed really helps, as does having a good FS noseslide to get used to the motion of sliding in that direction. While for the noseslide you can slap the nose onto the ledge, I tell myself I can't be lazy and get high up above the ledge so my truck can lock in. My front door is positioned pretty far back maybe 1-1.5 inches behind the front bolts so get more space to drag my truck up and onto the ledge instead of trying to bonk my nose in.

A medium high ledge is helpful too - too low and it gets hard to pop low enough to avoid slamming your nose while getting the height right.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 08:07:38 AM »
I think the two best tips I’ve received are the one about keeping your head over your front truck, and i’ve also been told to approach the ledge parallel, so as to only use the shift in your ollie to land on the ledge at the proper angle. I find that second tip helps with not just landing in a non pinched crooked nosegrind and/or sticking and flying forward.

My biggest roadblock is trying to land on the ledge in a nicely pinched crook without immediately having my board slip off the ledge, which is probably all in weight distribution as you guys have mentioned. I wish they were as easy as regular crooks, but I suppose that’s what makes them more magical when you see a good one

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 08:22:14 AM »
I just saw a short video somewhere of Jamie Thomas talking on the 9 club (stop and chat?) about front crooks tips he received from Chris Cole and Rodney Mullen.  I am pretty sure it is on youtube or someone on slap posted it somewhere on the boards.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 08:26:55 AM »
https://youtu.be/JcT7Igmn7TI

Not entirely the same but James Craig talks about what it means to get a good pinch on your crooked grind. Similar like how you truck gets the pinch on a BS crook, you want that same pinch on the FS Crook though it is less forgiving on the latter.

Going parallel plus fairly close to the ledge works for me. If I'm too far away I end up in noseslide or miss completely.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 06:10:19 PM »
I usually land/do like gerwer's in cash money vagrant but picture it as pinched with the back part of my board hanging off the ledge

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 10:50:48 PM »
I think the two best tips I’ve received are the one about keeping your head over your front truck, and i’ve also been told to approach the ledge parallel, so as to only use the shift in your ollie to land on the ledge at the proper angle. I find that second tip helps with not just landing in a non pinched crooked nosegrind and/or sticking and flying forward.

My biggest roadblock is trying to land on the ledge in a nicely pinched crook without immediately having my board slip off the ledge, which is probably all in weight distribution as you guys have mentioned. I wish they were as easy as regular crooks, but I suppose that’s what makes them more magical when you see a good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AzkhjeYDfk&ab_channel=NineClubHighlights

Ride parallel
Feet in BS Heel position, back foot is in the opposite corner to get the pinch
Ollie into front crook
Head over front foot
Don't poke your nose out in front of you - if not you get into crooked nosegrind or the deck will move away from you
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 07:45:55 AM »
Suciu discussed this trick in his slap pals interview. He said to hang your toes off a bit

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 10:04:33 AM »
Suciu discussed this trick in his slap pals interview. He said to hang your toes off a bit

It amazes me how little this comes up even though all the best front crookers do it. It's usually not even just a little bit, they are basically pinching with their heel.

My problem is that my toes drag and I stop or stick. If I could lean back away from the ledge as I get in and get some opposite side board pressure so that my toes lift off the ledge I think I'd have these. Easier said than done.

biffswifty89

• Rep: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 04:58:23 PM »
sorry if this is too long...

i never got the parallel part (who even goes parallel on a back crook?) but everything else mentioned here works wonders.
if i go at a very slight angle so i don't have to twist or shifty into it it's much easier to align your head over chest, chest over hips, hips over front ankle completely on top of the ledge and use your hips to counter balance the pinch.
focus on popping above the ledge and coming down, not bashing into it like a back crook.
hang your toes off like a heelflip and focus on a proper ollie and pinch it with the weight on your heel or arch of your foot exactly on the corner/top of the ledge.
if your toe drags you can stick your butt out to take the weight off and counter balance.
biggest problem i run into is the angles: going too parallel and getting into that front nose/front crook thing where your back foot comes off and your front foot just pushes it forward, or going too much of an angle and not pinching/getting into a nosegrind sketchy crook but you usually know exactly what went wrong when that happens. i feel like it's less scary on a rail to go at more of an angle and just commit to smashing your front foot on the rail while leaning forward. as for going further... getting up on top and using your butt to counter balance was a big a-ha moment for me, along with not being afraid to just wax the ledge where the nose is pinching up top. to get off i just practised standing in it and hopping off the ledge a million times. don't listen to people who say learn to go fakie since it's easier, it will ruin your technique.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 05:18:33 AM »
Still working on it, this is the best I can get now.

http://www.instagram.com/p/CHA9O3llaF0/

I figured out how to grind for a long time, but I'm kinda blocked and have to go to fakie.
My hope is that I unlocked fs noseslide to regular, I was doing them to fakie only so this might help.

The tip of letting the toes out a little works a lot, and also I try not to be too close from the ledge.
That way I think it is easier to aim, and it is more of a fs noseslide than a twisted fs nosegrind if you know what I mean...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 08:59:01 AM »
Still working on it, this is the best I can get now.

http://www.instagram.com/p/CHA9O3llaF0/

I figured out how to grind for a long time, but I'm kinda blocked and have to go to fakie.
My hope is that I unlocked fs noseslide to regular, I was doing them to fakie only so this might help.

The tip of letting the toes out a little works a lot, and also I try not to be too close from the ledge.
That way I think it is easier to aim, and it is more of a fs noseslide than a twisted fs nosegrind if you know what I mean...

That was sexy, FS Crook may be the rare trick that looks nicer coming out fakie than regular. I can't pop off mid ledge so I compensate with speed so I blast myself out the other end. I'll have to try coming out fakie, I haven't done BS Crook to Fakie in 10 years at least.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »
I just saw a short video somewhere of Jamie Thomas talking on the 9 club (stop and chat?) about front crooks tips he received from Chris Cole and Rodney Mullen.  I am pretty sure it is on youtube or someone on slap posted it somewhere on the boards.

Yeah. Bottom line was „set your feet up line you would do for a bs.heelflip“

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 02:25:38 PM »
I started out like most people, I think, in that I found BS krooked grinds way easier. You just ollie and put your truck down crooked right from the start.  Now I'd go for a FS crook before a BS one. The thing that helped me was that I started thinking of them more like a normal nosegrind. By that I mean you can more easily see right in front of you so I'd ollie like I was going to do a normal nosegrind then shift to a fs crook. Not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully it helps.