Author Topic: Landing tricks on the beat of the song: when did it start?  (Read 1942 times)

eranka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Landing tricks on the beat of the song: when did it start?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 10:29:19 PM »
Expand Quote
My understanding was that your brain kind of automatically syncs things that way so even if it were never intentionally done your brain would make you think it was happening.
[close]
Put on a random song you like and somebody’s part and see how many times you get bummed because a trick was a half second too late or early to go with the music.

Editing is where it comes from not your brain. Meticulous cutting and decision making.

apart from one exception-

this works on any part. a friend once proved it with the most unlikely parts, try it.

blowjobtofakie

• Rep: 103
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2020, 11:10:27 PM »
I’m just waiting for someone to absolutely destroy it to the latter half of Love Shack but okay.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2020, 11:24:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My understanding was that your brain kind of automatically syncs things that way so even if it were never intentionally done your brain would make you think it was happening.
[close]
Put on a random song you like and somebody’s part and see how many times you get bummed because a trick was a half second too late or early to go with the music.

Editing is where it comes from not your brain. Meticulous cutting and decision making.
[close]

apart from one exception-

this works on any part. a friend once proved it with the most unlikely parts, try it.
It's close but proves my point. The beat gives a million chances to get it, but it only lasts a couple tricks then its fucked again. Just happened on the first part I tried.

ricky bobby

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 11:31:19 PM »
Owen liban was the pioneer for landing tricks on the beat of a song. he first started doing it in his instagram edits

In what world is Owen Liban the pioneer of anything?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2020, 02:08:43 AM »
Basically the title. What was the first video where they edited it so that the tricks are landed (or in some cases popped) on beat  with the song? Sidenote: I feel like this has been going away lately.

from the get go of non-linear editing (and before that it was a goal)
this is how you edit stuff (not only landings btw)

I confirm it's going away because uneducated people film & edit stuff with their phones.
fuck those lazy instagram edits.
Don't edit to music if you don't beat sync in some way

liquid

• Rep: -11
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2020, 03:11:13 AM »
it started to become wide spread in skateboarding when decent editing systems became affordable in the early to mid 90 s.
but there s good examples like memory screen where i think not much else was used than 2 vcrs...

of course there s all the powell videos the first plan b videos and so on that were on point always...
back in the day i always loved this one