Author Topic: Advice For Slide-To-Slide Combo Tricks On Ledge?  (Read 666 times)

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • My Wife avatar image
Advice For Slide-To-Slide Combo Tricks On Ledge?
« on: October 21, 2020, 12:58:17 AM »
So I've been trying to work on a frontside noseslide to tailslide on a ledge and have been getting close to pulling it.

Basically, I get up into the fs noseslide, then I kind of try to pop out of it as I turn my body and board to my right (I'm regular) so I can land my right foot and tail back on to the ledge.

I've come close to pulling it a couple times but, usually, the tail hits below the ledge, like I'm not popping out of the fs noseslide enough.

Is there any magic hint anyone has to pop out of the frontside noseslide, which I imagine is the key -- or perhaps the only way possible -- to then land over/on the ledge for the tailslide?

Do I need to wind-up (to my left, like a bs 180, which I guess it is) more before popping out of the fs nose? Or should I practice popping out of stalls over and over again until popping higher than the ledge is my trained norm? Or both?

I see pros pulling all sorts of ledge combos: slide to slide, slide to grind, grind to slide, etc.

It seems like the possibilities are endless...once I can figure out how to pop out of a trick and be above the same ledge on which to then land a new trick.

I have searched the net for some advice on this but can't find anything that applies to the real world (just a bunch of codes and button patterns for how to do it in video games).

Any insight would be helpful, thanks...

Edit: This guy's doing it

Different combo but same idea
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:40:01 AM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
Re: Advice For Slide-To-Slide Combo Tricks On Ledge?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 08:21:11 PM »
Bump

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 06:24:17 AM »
I do those, just backside but I'd figure in principle frontside is the same, and they really feel like a 360 trick to me, the wind-up is the exact same as, say, a frontside 360 nollie or step hop, control over your upper body really is the same except this time your lower body does some weird shit against the ledge. Recently relearned them as a by-product of doing noseslide 270's a lot again, just trying to get good pop out, I usually do those at the end of ledges but whenever I go for them mid-ledge it really feels like my tail wants to hover over and lock into the tailslide anyway. So maybe getting pop out of noseslides in general is what you really want to tackle, which is basically the same mechanic as out of noseblunt or nosemanny if you've got good sw ollies/nollies and works on accessible stuff like curbs. Good form control on 180 nollies/sw 180 ollies also comes in handy.

Also I don't necessarily think about the tailslide as a tailslide, in the case in my trick it really feels more like going into switch front nose (not back tail) from a fancier position than just rolling up and normally sw ollieing into it, guiding the board over the ledge after the first noseslide actually feels really similar to that except you just so happen to come up regs and bash your nose into the ledge first. Sort of like getting into back tail from a alley-oop/overturned frontside nollie except you get your pop off the obstacle and not the ground.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 09:42:49 AM »
Thank you, man. That all makes a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 01:01:56 PM by EdLawndale »

lazer69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 12:39:32 PM »
Im so comfortable with fs nose. Its basically my go to, and i can pop out, but going to tail slide seems crazy to me.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 01:22:45 PM »
It sounds like I'm making the mistake of trying to wind back up while I'm in the fsns when I need to wind up before I get into the fsns.

But, still, I want to get a decent fsns in before I transition into the ts (or I guess I should look at it like a sw bsns) so kinda tripping me out how I can keep the wind up through the bsns. Regardless, I will work on my pop outs and give it a shot again.