Author Topic: Is there a way that I can ask my local to carry a certain brand politely?  (Read 715 times)

Sandygoat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -45
  • THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
This is my first post here so I'll try to avoid any faux pas but forgive me if there is any. My local seems to always have nothing when I'm there. Last time I picked a hockey deck and a FA pro model but that was it ( there was some completes but nothing else really). Idk I don't want to seem like a dick and be all high and mighty but I wanna try out some more stuff. I want to try out a baker deck but they don't stock them and I don't want to buy online ( not to mention I only have cash). I know we are going through a deck shortage but I starting to get tired of the same shape ( the egg heroin has out is pretty cool). How do I go about getting some new shapes at my local. Thanks in advance.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
You shop there often? If so just ask. If yer a not so regular customer, I would say just deal with it? Or stil just ask. Yea go with just asking. Plain and simple. Hey why don't you get baker boards?
Whoa. Danger.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
This is my first post here so I'll try to avoid any faux pas but forgive me if there is any. My local seems to always have nothing when I'm there...

The first thing is the supplier or distributor might not have much or any stock, but I have definitely seen lots of shops getting big drops of almost all brands recently, so maybe keep an eye on the instagram account of a few other shops, even if they are too far away for you to get to, just to see what they carry.

If you know who actually orders stock, or who owns the place, they are more likely to be able to help you with things like that, as opposed to the casual worker or guy who is always chilling on the front counter.  It might be one in the same, if it is just a small operation, but definitely get talking to them and casually ask about certain brands you would like to buy and that would be the first hint if they either don't want to or cannot get them in, or they actually want to help you.

The red flag for me would be if they say that brand is rubbish or something like that, which I have heard, or if they only talk up the brands that are currently in the shop (just so they can make a sale or clear out old stock) which again just shows how ignorant they can be of some things and make me want to shop elsewhere.

With regard to ordering, there are two main things to note, those being if the shop has an account with the distributor of the brands you are wanting, and cashflow of the business / if there are any conditions on the order or shipping costs which would make it not viable so they would not get that brand in, eg shipping cost of only a couple of boards means the cost goes up significantly for the shop, or they may not have enough spare cash to be able to put in an order, or they are not on good terms with the distributor.

Any or all of these factors could affect their stock purchases and it was a sad day when I would go back into a shop I hadn't been to in a while and see NOT a whole lot of new stock and a ton of almost vintage remnants still on the shelves, but if they are struggling, they might not be able to afford new stock, and many shops are closing all the time due to things like this.

I have probably said enough for now, but I would be interested to hear how you go.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
A good shop would hopefully order something you wanted in, if they can. Nothing rude about asking if they can get a specific deck in for you. If you're talking about actually carrying a brand then a good shop would also respond to the local market. If it's just you wanting it then you can't expect much but perhaps if you could show them that it would be a good sell somehow then they'd hopefully listen to you. Maybe just ask if they ever get in x brand, if not how come
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Sandygoat

• THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
Thanks for all the replies dawgs. Sadly the next shop in my state takes like twenty more minutes and its just another branch of the shop already there. They are the biggest shop in the capital of my state so I doubt they don't have the clout to get boards from all the distributors. I kinda get pissy because all they post is (A) New dunks that they raffle off ( B) local brands that I don't mind ( C) FA and hockey decks which has lost their luster. I kinda feel like they dick around and they would go out business if there was any really competition that got dunks from nike. I''ll give them a try a couple more times but I feel kinda jaded towards them. 

Brguy

If they say no you can just shit in the front door, they'll get the message.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Open a checking/savings account.  With a debit card you can buy what you want.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Just ask. Baker decks usually sell as long as they don't get the terrible graphics that pop up every so often. 

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
If they say no just leave a ton of anonymous google reviews that say "they don't even carry xxxx for fucks sake!"
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

hot take

• Rep: -57
Looks like you’re gonna have to start pressing your own boards dude.

Sandygoat

• THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
Yeah they dont even carry etnies. I picked up the 1010's but I am kinda bummed literally only stuff from deluxe and some sc completes. Kinda bummed once I get a debit card I'll probably but just hardware and grip tape from them.