Author Topic: Longest-Lasting Skate Gear You Still Use  (Read 3931 times)

MyUserName

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Longest-Lasting Skate Gear You Still Use
« on: October 22, 2020, 05:57:48 AM »
Bones Reds: My cruiser has changed considerably in the last 10 years, different combinations of trucks, decks, etc. But the one constant is my set of Reds that go through dirt, mud, rain, etc. regularly and still roll wonderfully. In the ten years I've had them, they've never been cleaned once and still work better than the 3-4 Swiss sets I've gone through on my "regular" board.

FrozenIndustries

Re: Longest-Lasting Skate Gear You Still Use
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 06:40:37 AM »
2 sets of reds the are 3+ years old. I had a third, but two of those somehow got full seized up so I took the rest of the set out of rotation to use them as backups.
Indy 149s that I've had for 5 years. They always seems to end up on a lesser used setup so they're not as ground as many of my trucks, but they have held up super will in spite of the abuse they've been through.
Reflex tool. I've had it for 15 years, the axle rethreader is still great.

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 07:58:04 AM »
Still rolling on the set of Bones Super Swiss 6 I bought in 2001. Coming up on our 20th anniversary next year. The skating's been off and on and I pretty much always have a quiver but they're still rolling.

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 08:09:58 AM »
Still rolling on the set of Bones Super Swiss 6 I bought in 2001. Coming up on our 20th anniversary next year. The skating's been off and on and I pretty much always have a quiver but they're still rolling.

Are those the ones with six bigger ball bearings instead of the standard 8? If so I can vouch for those as well. Longest lasting bearings I've ever skated. Had mine in for about a year or so and I skate nearly every day.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 08:12:51 AM »
I still use some Black Panthers from like '06-'07.

ClayH

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 08:18:44 AM »
Bought a cruiser in '08(ish) and the OJIII's and mini logo bearings are still kicking, despite a different deck and trucks, although I did ride the same trucks and wheels on it til 2016. It wasn't under the most "high-stress" circumstances, but the bearings lasting as long as they did is the main shock for me.

Adriii

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 08:36:32 AM »
Indy standarts 149, ive had them for almost a year now and if it weren't for the crooked grind groove, I could use them for ten more years

OJ elite 5  5mm 101a same thing, they got smaller buri think because the are so 101a, they slide a lot and dont flatspot.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 09:20:47 AM »
I've had the same tools that I stole from my dad back in 93.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »
My formula 4s just won't quit

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 09:47:40 AM »
My formula 4s just won't quit

1 year in my 53's turned into 38's

love them more than ever

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 09:59:32 AM »
Indy 149s from 2003
Gone through a few kingpins and sets of bushings. I rode them on my main board for 10 years, I go back to them now and again, I barely grind stuff with them because the new kingpins stick out.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 02:00:11 PM »
I’ve got some 12-year old Swiss on my cruiser, but at least 8 of those years were of actual skating.

1 set of Indy Stage 8’s, 2 sets of 9’s and 2-3 sets of Stage 10 that still have plenty of life left. All 139’s.

Finally, my Savier bottle opener has been steady opening beers since ‘02. I don’t even want to know how many beers I’ve popped with it. Still got 2 others.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 03:14:13 PM »
Indy 149s from 2003
Gone through a few kingpins and sets of bushings. I rode them on my main board for 10 years, I go back to them now and again, I barely grind stuff with them because the new kingpins stick out.
Angle grinder will chomp tthose kingpins down with a rethreader.

I've had 4 sets of Reds and a set of Swiss 6's since 03' I like to clean them no matter what... .If you treat em right and don't be a jackass a good set of bearings will last forever.
Dueces Bitch's

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 03:25:00 PM »
Indy stage 8's on zip zinger and stage 9's on 80's set up.  Bones ditch techs....

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 04:21:49 PM »
In this thread: cruiser boards.

Nothing wrong with that, but it should be specified when talking about the longevity of gear.

Reds lasting a decade is only indicative of how you're riding them. The truth is that they're fragile af. I've probably had a dozen sets of them over the years, and never went more than a month before at least two bearings imploded or completely seized up beyond saving. They're hands down the least durable bearings I've ever had for street skating, and I've tried a lot.

Edit: Same block of grip gum for probably 12 years. Still use it weekly.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 04:48:56 PM »
I think there's an argument that as far as skateboarding is concerned and bearings....it's just luck....I have a protec full cut that doesn't get a lot of action....

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 04:49:07 PM »
I’ve had the same Almost weed nug of wax for like 4-5 years now

I don’t like to use wax a lot but I always have it on me at the sesh and can’t believe I haven’t lost it or misplaced it

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 04:52:21 PM »
Same

* just to clarify I ganked my shit from MY pops..not yours, I would never steal from your dad.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 04:52:58 PM »
Theeve titanium bolts I’ve used on every regular board for the last 10 + years. Only lost one so far, and I have enough on deck for another two boards that are still sealed in their packs

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 05:21:53 PM »
Bones Swiss 6 from 4 years ago.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 05:28:12 PM »
Does hardware count?

I’d say south central decks, formula fours, and bones Swiss 6 are some of the longest lasting gear when compared to other options.

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 05:36:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Same

* just to clarify I ganked my shit from MY pops..not yours, I would never steal from your dad.

This but ‘97
Still can’t bring myself to buy a “skate tool”

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 05:44:43 PM »
Bones Reds: My cruiser has changed considerably in the last 10 years, different combinations of trucks, decks, etc. But the one constant is my set of Reds that go through dirt, mud, rain, etc. regularly and still roll wonderfully. In the ten years I've had them, they've never been cleaned once and still work better than the 3-4 Swiss sets I've gone through on my "regular" board.

This is a complete mystery to me because any bearings I have, including reds, go to shit in about 3 months. My last set completely seized up after one month. And it's not just reds, literally any bearings I have no matter what go bad within a few months.

This has led to my development of a theory that not only do bearings not even matter, but that you are either lucky with bearings, or unlucky with bearings. Similar to my theory that you can either impossible and back 3, or you just can't. And if you don't have the gift, it's literally impossible to learn them. If you're unlucky with bearings you just are, if you are lucky with bearings then, you just are.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 06:43:45 PM »

these indy stage 5 169s from my gonz in '88 or 89

rode them hard and then stashed in my goodies box when boards started to get egg shaped (maybe started riding grind kings briefly? went back to indys, probably stage 6 or 7 at that point)
pulled them out, rebuilt with new bushings/hardware, and put them back on a gonz reissue to recreate my set up from 30 years ago

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2020, 07:04:24 PM »

rode them hard and then stashed in my goodies box when boards started to get egg shaped (maybe started riding grind kings briefly? went back to indys, probably stage 6 or 7 at that point)
pulled them out, rebuilt with new bushings/hardware, and put them back on a gonz reissue to recreate my set up from 30 years ago
how do you have even wear on them?

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2020, 08:38:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
how do you have even wear on them?

there were these long square curbs at our high school that we skated constantly. they also went down each side of these stairs like little mini hubbas.
Assume the truck in the photo was the back truck in those days, the other truck only has axle exposed on one half. put the more worn truck up front on the reissue.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2020, 04:10:11 PM »
Currently some swiss 6 which are 2.5 years old.
Before I had some swiss which lasted me 5-6 years and before that probably some 7 years old bolts
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2020, 06:56:22 AM »
I think there's an argument that as far as skateboarding is concerned and bearings....it's just luck....I have a protec full cut that doesn't get a lot of action....

I have a Pro-Tec and Rector knee pads that are pre-1990. Not having decent knee pads probably stunted my attempts at vert skating. 

I just found a set of Stage V or VIs at my mom’s house but they’re not double drilled so it’s going to take effort to try them on something.

As for stuff used continuously, my current Ventures have to be at least 6 years old.

Octobre Rouge.

• Rep: -2
  • Black metal and ledge skating
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2020, 09:51:38 AM »
I'm still using a 12 years old philips bolt from my first setup. Still, it's a pain in the ass cause the others bolts are allen.

DirtyHairHalo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2020, 09:55:45 PM »
Indy 149s stage 11 that have been my primary trucks for at least 6 or 7 years. Just replace the bushings
and pivot cups this year. Bones Reds on my cruisers for almost a decade without a single cleaning.