Author Topic: Longest-Lasting Skate Gear You Still Use  (Read 3933 times)

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
Re: Longest-Lasting Skate Gear You Still Use
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2020, 11:14:34 PM »
Skate tool I've had for years. 4 maybe?
I have had a cruiser board for years so that takes the cake, technically.
In terms or regular skate gear I use.. My  current hardware is almost 2 years old and my trucks are 1.5 years old, everything else is much newer.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 01:48:42 AM »
currently my trucks, which are a little over a year old.

i got tons of old shit on deck just in case. refurbished old bearings and indy hangars and baseplates of various stages and sizes. a bunch of bushings and a couple wheels which have been skated but are flatspot free and barely run down. just not f4 99s which is why i don't skate these. one pair is some 97a green jelly ojs i bought for skating indoor parks, but i never go there and skated them once maybe. they were just as slippy in the wooden ramps as regular wheels if i remember correctly, but rode pretty nicely on the pavement. i just cleaned up a bunch of stuff and wanted to build a winter board with these weird ass wheels. they must be about ten years old now but look brand new.

i don't keep a stack of decks, i have a couple old ones that i could ride if i had to though. pretty sure all my wallhangers are rather brittle by now, and apart from the scumco ones, all of them were warped as hell to begin with, otherwise i wouldn't just had them hang on my wall.

technically i own a piece of grip gum that i have been using since 2003 or 04. i think my skatetool is a bit newer than that.

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2020, 03:56:48 AM »
Expand Quote
My formula 4s just won't quit
[close]

1 year in my 53's turned into 38's

love them more than ever
Same lol. Seems like the big pants small wheels joke isnt one after all

trash

• Rep: 11
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 07:26:50 AM »
I bought a blue unit tool 16 years ago that I still use. It's kind of stripped so it slips a bit when loosening my trucks, but I can't bring myself to retire it... 

Hoping to get it to 20 before releasing it back to the gods in a pyre.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 07:27:54 AM »
I bought a blue unit tool 16 years ago that I still use. It's kind of stripped so it slips a bit when loosening my trucks, but I can't bring myself to retire it... 

Hoping to get it to 20 before releasing it back to the gods in a pyre.
got 2 unit tools from maybe 15 years ago (gotta check my math..) that are still 100% functional. Always wanted one of the ratchet tools but these are still fine

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2020, 08:32:15 AM »
Bones Swiss 6. Had them for 7 years. Started to have some play, but by most skaters standards they are brand new! Lol

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 09:37:34 PM »
I guess a well looked after skate tool could last almost til the end of time, but more often than not it is "borrowed" by a mate or some random and then not returned, I guess like the elusive lighter among a circle of smokers.

What is crazy is to see people still skating boards, either completes or just parts of boards from their very first setups or pre skateboard explosion setups, eg early 80s but I don't think some of those boards get ridden too hard.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 09:59:19 PM »
currently my trucks, which are a little over a year old.

i got tons of old shit on deck just in case. refurbished old bearings and indy hangars and baseplates of various stages and sizes. a bunch of bushings and a couple wheels which have been skated but are flatspot free and barely run down. just not f4 99s which is why i don't skate these. one pair is some 97a green jelly ojs i bought for skating indoor parks, but i never go there and skated them once maybe. they were just as slippy in the wooden ramps as regular wheels if i remember correctly, but rode pretty nicely on the pavement. i just cleaned up a bunch of stuff and wanted to build a winter board with these weird ass wheels. they must be about ten years old now but look brand new.

i don't keep a stack of decks, i have a couple old ones that i could ride if i had to though. pretty sure all my wallhangers are rather brittle by now, and apart from the scumco ones, all of them were warped as hell to begin with, otherwise i wouldn't just had them hang on my wall.

technically i own a piece of grip gum that i have been using since 2003 or 04. i think my skatetool is a bit newer than that.

my trucks are like three years old. i just started trying more grinds because for some reason all the shit i do is really making sense to me finally. like the creative process is revealing itself or some shit.

they are thunder 148's. kingpins are loose but i've grown to like them because my trucks are stupid loose, i wanna tighten but i crave the carve man.

also been skating baker and deathwish decks for the past 2 years, they are insanely durable. i've been skating janoski sbs for the past 10 or so years because they last forever with shoogoo. i got some half cab pros though and i like them a lot.

even the steven

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2021, 03:21:55 AM »
I went digging, not too far as I knew where they were and I am not trying to make this a competition, but I have a skate tool from at least 1985 maybe earlier even as we were skating from the very early 80s, but it would have to be about the only thing that has ever made it to now in what I have from way back then in the 80s.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ74vBiltTz/

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2021, 12:41:05 PM »
I went digging, not too far as I knew where they were and I am not trying to make this a competition, but I have a skate tool from at least 1985 maybe earlier even as we were skating from the very early 80s, but it would have to be about the only thing that has ever made it to now in what I have from way back then in the 80s.

I locked into your instagram page for an hour. It was fucking sick, you are like the anti hero Ben Degros. Sick older product and in-depth descriptions/explanations on every post. I also like doing disaster to truck tricks so your footage was very satisfying. Suck on that online course I was supposed to be doing.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2021, 01:41:03 PM »
No silver tool?

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2021, 01:47:12 PM »
Real HW the best budget high tech board

Santa Cruz VX gets rubbery if cracked but still holds up well

Powell Flights are worth the money

Of all decks mentioned the heavyweights deck doesn’t razor tail as fast.
Dueces Bitch's

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2021, 04:19:56 PM »

Those old tools are so fucking cool. I want one!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2021, 07:04:38 PM »
Elephant tool....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2021, 07:08:48 PM »
Set of Indy Blacks, surprisingly long lasting and a pair of Lucky risers that have gone through many a cruiser.

Every tool I get breaks.

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2021, 07:18:26 PM »
trucks. jesus, i have so many trucks.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2021, 07:27:21 PM »
I've had the same unit tool since I was like 13. I've had others and lost them, but still have the first one I got somehow.

dunc

• Rep: 49
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2021, 08:49:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those old tools are so fucking cool. I want one!
[/quote

Well as a kid watching Gleaming the Cube I thought you could start a car with one of those tools.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 02:00:55 AM »
No silver tool?

It's a funny thing, but I have had so many thoughts of all the different and amazing skate tools out there, but I never actually got any, even with wholesale access for the shop, the simple ones seem to last longer and work better overall, not to mention the fact that the fancy ones always seem to go missing faster.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 10:01:15 AM »
Expand Quote
No silver tool?
[close]

It's a funny thing, but I have had so many thoughts of all the different and amazing skate tools out there, but I never actually got any, even with wholesale access for the shop, the simple ones seem to last longer and work better overall, not to mention the fact that the fancy ones always seem to go missing faster.
Had a dickhead kook come over to my house and "borrow" my silver tool (probably forgot to grab it afterwards) even though it was sick as fuck I'm still salty about it for the ratchet mounting part was a rad feature.
Dueces Bitch's

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2021, 10:27:58 AM »
Those older tools are sick Brimson. My reflex tool from early-mid 00’s still going strong, though the screwdriver/allen part is long gone.

Anyway to get replacements for those?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2021, 05:19:13 PM »
Those older tools are sick Brimson. My reflex tool from early-mid 00’s still going strong, though the screwdriver/allen part is long gone.

Anyway to get replacements for those?

No, once they are gone they are gone, just like the one on this one I have.

I usually see allen hardware always comes with an allen key so have a million of those floating round, but I am more keen on the big soft grip phillips head screwdriver as it is easier to hold when using it for gripping boards, or doing up bolts or whatever I need, even using the butt end to push down around grip around deck bolts once they are in.

I prefer phillips over allen from the time in the 90s or 00s the allen size changed for different brands so if you didn't have the right size, you were stuck.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2021, 06:28:20 PM »
I got a Krooked Zig Zagger complete in 2010 and still use the deck as a cruiser. It’s very razor tailed but since I only use it as a cruiser it’s still in reasonably okay shape.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2021, 03:48:51 AM »
I've had a set of Bones Swiss for close to ten years and I still have a New Deal skate tool I got in middle school.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2021, 10:16:38 PM »
I guess these Indy forged base plates I’ve had for 5 years that I just put on new hangers after my old ones are grinded down. same pivot cups too. and this pig hardware I’ve been using for two years.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2021, 10:59:56 PM »
Thunder 148 Titanium - rode them for 4 decks consecutively and they are my go to for 8.25 boards despite my love for Venture. Thunder are the marriage material truck: reliable, you know what you're getting, works with every deck I throw at it and perform well on slides and grinds. Venture are like the bad girlfriend: gets you into hard drugs, steals from you, your parents hate her, but the sex is great. When you find the right deck with them it's heaven, but other times I'm struggling with the WB shifting out too far.

Hand File - gripped close to 30 boards (myself, friends) with this thing, the Silver tool doesnt get a good a line.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2021, 11:45:57 PM »
I've had the same set of Red's for about 10 years.  I think with bearings it's alot of luck. 

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2021, 12:06:56 AM »
Recently gave away a set of Destructos that I skated around 2000. Then there are some wheels from the 90s in a box that I kept taking along when moving, they still look skateable. The wheels on my cruiser are 15 years old and still feel good, used them on my filming setup back in the day.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2021, 12:23:49 AM »
Tracker tool. Not so great trucks, but really great tool.

Phantasma Del Mar

• Rep: 7
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2021, 10:03:52 AM »

I would like to add some skate tools I didn’t see above. I’m the type to lose and repurchase only to find it a couple years later. Spitfire tool, grind king tool and new deal fix stix! Yes, I am old enough to use the phrase they don’t make stuff like they used to. These tools will easily last me for life and are 20+ years old minus the spitfire