Author Topic: Shoes like dunks, that are not dunks.  (Read 5209 times)

IpathCats

Shoes like dunks, that are not dunks.
« on: October 22, 2020, 11:24:40 AM »
I like skating dunks, the highs and mids anyways. I'm tired of trying to get whatever the latest limited release bullshit is though. Same with Jordan 1's, always out of stock or super expensive. I'm looking for a middle of the road cupsole, high enough to cover my ankle, with padding around the ankle. It would be a bonus if I didn't have to give nike or one of the big guys my money, but I'm not going to skate shit I don't like to try and make a point to a company that will live without my business.

Lukabrazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
Re: Shoes like dunks, that are not dunks.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 01:26:51 PM »
tyshawns are a pretty solid mid cupsole shoe

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 01:31:17 PM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 02:21:09 PM »
reeboks are really good cupsoles, i'm on my 3rd pair of club C/revenge (same shoe). Maybe the workout mids are more your style. You can find a pair for under $50 easily online, I've seen some on amazon for $25.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 878
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 02:47:38 PM »
Cons fast break pro mids are decent. Also people really seem to dig Crockett his but I haven’t tried those yet.

Can confirm tyshawns are great too, they are decent at covering your ankle but they are a bit lower than most mids.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 02:51:02 PM »
Adidas Pro Models (high top shell toes) can be found for cheap and are pretty comparable in support and cushion

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 03:30:01 PM »
reeboks are really good cupsoles, i'm on my 3rd pair of club C/revenge (same shoe). Maybe the workout mids are more your style. You can find a pair for under $50 easily online, I've seen some on amazon for $25.
I just copped a pair of club c for 30 in the all white and gum and there some of the best shoes ive had in a while. I was skeptical at first but I might be a full on reebok dude now. There always around here at ross and shit

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 03:41:15 PM »
puma layup

es accels

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 03:45:20 PM »
Cons fast break pro mids are decent. Also people really seem to dig Crockett his but I haven’t tried those yet.

Can confirm tyshawns are great too, they are decent at covering your ankle but they are a bit lower than most mids.

Crockett High are a great shoe but I would not compare them to a dunk. It's a mix between a blazer and a chuck taylor, with a unique cup sole

For Vans I'd recommend the Cruze model, not sure if they come in Pro model yet

New Balance 440's are what you're after

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 03:54:35 PM »

They blow out older colourways on adidas.com. Wait for 20/30% off sale and there usually is something.  Honestly I think it doesn't look as iconic but it's a better shoe....

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 08:39:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Crockett High are a great shoe but I would not compare them to a dunk. It's a mix between a blazer and a chuck taylor, with a unique cup sole

For Vans I'd recommend the Cruze model, not sure if they come in Pro model yet

New Balance 440's are what you're after
Grab those 440 mids and call it a day.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 878
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 08:46:23 PM »
Have we seen the 440 mids yet? I know they’re supposed to come out in like November but I don’t think I’ve seen a preview yet.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 09:01:41 PM »
Have we seen the 440 mids yet? I know they’re supposed to come out in like November but I don’t think I’ve seen a preview yet.
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=89457.2460
Bottom of page

Showing up in skate shops probably posted next week or something

Acky Jacky

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 09:14:07 PM »

That's funny you mention Reebok's, I've actually been looking at these
https://www.reebok.com/us/reebok-royal-bb-4500-hi-2-men-s-basketball-shoes/CN4107.html?cm_mmc=RbkSEM_Google_PLA_eCom-_-PLA-TP-HighPriority%20-%20Margin-_-Classics-_-PRODUCT_GROUP-_-dv%3AeCom-_-cn%3A-_-&cm_mmc1=US&cm_mmc2=PLA-TP-HighPriority%20-%20Margin-US-PLA-eCom-PaidSearch-NA&ds_rl=1281488&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28T8BRDbARIsAEOMBcyLU2_pacRF9N13DkFgbjf88F8XpiqX3YKxwg2jnjMiiCcd3j67oDAaAhblEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We must be on the same wavelength to a certain degree, I just ordered and received these, but I accidentally ordered the extra-wide version. I actually have an extra-wide foot but I don't think it's going to feel right skating considering I'm used to medium width shoes.

Anyways, my search originated with wanting AF1s, then maybe Jordan 1s, then just realizing Reebok's are always comfortable for skating (although the upper gets annihilated quickly).

IpathCats

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 03:34:06 AM »
https://proper-skateboarding.myshopify.com/products/cinex-mid-white

I ordered a pair of these but they were to small and they're out of the next size up :( sucks because I was really excited to try them. I gave them to a friend and he really liked them.

IpathCats

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2020, 03:36:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=89457.2460
Bottom of page

Showing up in skate shops probably posted next week or something

Damn! I heard about these a while ago. I'm def gonna give these a shot and probably some Reebok's too.

IpathCats

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 03:39:32 AM »

Had a pair of the fastbreaks, but it was before there were doing the all suede ones. Those things were covered in shoe goo almost immediately. Skated pretty good though.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 456
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2020, 08:12:38 AM »
Accel OG. slightly higher collar. Padded tongue. Cup soles. TTS. Grippy and durable.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2020, 08:24:04 AM »
i find tiagos to fit and skate similar to dunks, just a little bit nicer in all ways. snugger and more contoured fit. they don't hold up as good as dunks though due to the mesh. otherwise i'd highly recommend them.

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2020, 08:28:53 AM »
I hate that I never saved it when he posted it, but a few months back Ellington posted a video and a few pics in his story of some Li-ning shoes that looked almost like Dunk rip offs in his Instagram story. The tongue and heel area were pretty different but they looked like a pretty decent shoe. I'm always hoping a picture of them shows up again somewhere.

IpathCats

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2020, 09:38:08 AM »
i find tiagos to fit and skate similar to dunks, just a little bit nicer in all ways. snugger and more contoured fit. they don't hold up as good as dunks though due to the mesh. otherwise i'd highly recommend them.

I got my lady and I matching pairs of the white Tiagos. They feel nice, but I can't skate a low top. If I broke my foot or ankle for the 4th time I would never forgive myself haha.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2020, 09:50:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got my lady and I matching pairs of the white Tiagos. They feel nice, but I can't skate a low top. If I broke my foot or ankle for the 4th time I would never forgive myself haha.

my bad, missed it about the shoe having to be a mid.

kinda rad, you two rocking the dadcore colorway at the same time sounds funny. 

IpathCats

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2020, 12:52:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

my bad, missed it about the shoe having to be a mid.

kinda rad, you two rocking the dadcore colorway at the same time sounds funny.

That's kinda why I got them lol. They really skirt that fresh/dad line pretty well. I got mine and she thought they were rad, so I picked her up a pair. I had to get hers direct from new balance though, no shops had sizes that small.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2020, 02:46:17 PM »
Forces?

IpathCats

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2020, 03:39:26 PM »
Forces?

Never worn a pair, but they seem a bit less fitted than a dunk. More boxy looking. They also look pretty thick too, not to mention ugly as all hell hahaha.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2020, 06:23:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Forces?
[close]

Never worn a pair, but they seem a bit less fitted than a dunk. More boxy looking. They also look pretty thick too, not to mention ugly as all hell hahaha.

People have skated them but IMO the sole is clunky and the toe blows out.

I saw another shoe, the DC cure, that has a dunkish look.