Author Topic: Lizard King of Deathwish  (Read 28762 times)

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
Re: Lizard King of Deathwish
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2020, 03:08:13 PM »
ragdoll + 6" in height + better kickflip = lizard king

Is ragdoll really that short or do you mean - 6" in height?

WearTimsInTheSummer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2020, 11:14:28 PM »
Expand Quote

I watched this a few weeks ago. He actually seems like a pretty decent dude. Would not have guessed he comes from a privileged background (Dad is a real estate boss). I enjoyed the story about how he one-upped the local snowboard pro by casually doing some gnarly ‘jump’? I don’t know snowboard terminology

[close]

More and more, I'm seeing that the successful skaters are the ones who grew up in a financially stable home. The 90's pros were a different breed, but a lot of the (popular) 00's and new-age crop are definitely coming from money. Skateboarding is not cheap (which you know) and you need fresh gear for consistency and PMA. Plus, someone has to pay the bills while you huck down stairs for product.

I dont think the Brazilian dudes came from money..... Chris Joslin def came from some humble beginnings.... Nyjah didnt grow up rich either..... I can def see your point but this isnt a rich mans sport yet like skiing or snowboarding.... If youre truly talented at skating theres no sport where its easier to get free product than skateboarding

cumlover84

• Rep: 3
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2020, 08:41:29 AM »
This

Expand Quote
Looks like he had a lot of passion for the brand but at the end of the day he had to put it in the air and let it loose
[close]

And this top comment

Had me losing my shit, hahaha. That owns.

Yeah like it's been said many times, Deathwish is gonna have to come up with a new name soon. Healthwish would be fitting. 2008 was a wild time. Out with the hijinx in with the keto bowls!
Lol that was me

Windsor Knot

• Rep: -114
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2020, 09:13:03 AM »
Man people are so class obsessed! I think skating is a really cheap sport. You don't need fresh gear all the time. Get a part time job to finance it. Get a paper route or something. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than tennis or  other sports which are largely inaccessible to the masses. I really don't care if xyz was a rich kid. As long as they kill it who cares honestly. That's my opinion.

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2020, 09:32:41 AM »
Found the rich kid. Loan me some of that trust fund, Windsor Knot.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 723
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2020, 10:11:23 AM »
Man people are so class obsessed! I think skating is a really cheap sport. You don't need fresh gear all the time. Get a part time job to finance it. Get a paper route or something. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than tennis or  other sports which are largely inaccessible to the masses. I really don't care if xyz was a rich kid. As long as they kill it who cares honestly. That's my opinion.
Spoken like a true xyz rich kid

Free max b
FREE MAX B

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2020, 10:29:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I watched this a few weeks ago. He actually seems like a pretty decent dude. Would not have guessed he comes from a privileged background (Dad is a real estate boss). I enjoyed the story about how he one-upped the local snowboard pro by casually doing some gnarly ‘jump’? I don’t know snowboard terminology

[close]

More and more, I'm seeing that the successful skaters are the ones who grew up in a financially stable home. The 90's pros were a different breed, but a lot of the (popular) 00's and new-age crop are definitely coming from money. Skateboarding is not cheap (which you know) and you need fresh gear for consistency and PMA. Plus, someone has to pay the bills while you huck down stairs for product.
[close]

I dont think the Brazilian dudes came from money..... Chris Joslin def came from some humble beginnings.... Nyjah didnt grow up rich either..... I can def see your point but this isnt a rich mans sport yet like skiing or snowboarding.... If youre truly talented at skating theres no sport where its easier to get free product than skateboarding
Most of the brazillian pros you guys know were poor.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »
Shoutout to all the xyz rich kids.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2020, 12:04:24 PM »

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2020, 07:11:28 PM »
always been partial to this shared part, future classic

Mongoloid

« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2020, 07:29:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
showed up as a father
[close]

Yea, dude was wild and bizarre back in the day. But this right here is what I'm judging him on now. Dude seems to legitimately enjoy life and being a dad. Hope he has something lined up that will help him take care of his kid.
[close]

Yeah give this man an award, he had a kid and is fulfilling his obligation of being a father.

You’ve been posting lots lately, and it’s a beautiful thing.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Poor, poor examples. Of course the Brazilians are coming from humble families - how many of them (percentage-wise) have actually made a career out of skating? Nyquil's parents owned a skatepark, not exactly a cheap feat, and Joslin - the dude grew up in southern California (same with Nyquil) - it was easy(er) to get free product.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 08:24:04 AM by duniwayRobber »
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

Windsor Knot

• Rep: -114
« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2020, 05:38:34 AM »
Haha I'm not a rich kid. Don't got shit

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2020, 01:13:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Poor, poor examples. Of course the Brazilians are coming from humble families - how many of them (percentage-wise) have actually made a career out of skating? Nyquil's parents owned a skatepark, not exactly a cheap feat, and Joslin - the dude grew up in southern California (same with Nyquil) - it was easy(er) to get free product.
This is a valid point if you live/lived in the southern California area and you grew up with having 4 wheels to ride since a kid you either knew someone or got hooked up with a low budget shop or brand or gotten flow from someone who knew someone. So when someone from California says they don't got shit I tend to look at it did you not really try? or were you not at the right place at the right time?  Either way west coast you'll find a board or get one from a yardsale or a homie....
Dueces Bitch's

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2020, 02:47:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
showed up as a father
[close]

Yea, dude was wild and bizarre back in the day. But this right here is what I'm judging him on now. Dude seems to legitimately enjoy life and being a dad. Hope he has something lined up that will help him take care of his kid.
[close]

Yeah give this man an award, he had a kid and is fulfilling his obligation of being a father.
[close]

You’ve been posting lots lately, and it’s a beautiful thing.

“Yeah lay off Lizard man, Shake Junt for life”  ;D

arcam

• Rep: -65
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2020, 05:30:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Shoutout to all the xyz rich kids.

shoutout to birds fool

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1196
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2020, 08:48:21 AM »
1.  A deep burning fire is free.  You just bash some rocks together on some dry pine needles: boom, fire.

2.  Windsor Knot is clearly a wealthy gentleman, at least in his late 60’s since those are the only people that recommend that others get a paper route.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

kid casserole

• Rep: 6
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2020, 09:09:13 AM »
Plum King is one of the last people I ever think about in anything

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2020, 10:38:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

EVERYTHING is easier when you're wealthy, though. Don't have to work? More time to skate and travel. Rich? Can afford travel and to visit the best parks and spots and maybe even build stuff at your house, not to mention new gear all the time. I agree the skating playing field is more even than most but still, wealth in a capitalist society makes everything easier.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:24:16 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

Ishaboi

• Rep: -1
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2020, 10:45:02 AM »
Lizard King of Supra, on casual barefoot shoes (that don't look silly) confirmed

charlotte spca

Brguy

« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2020, 01:56:32 PM »
You guys forget that most pros get free product since they're young, it's not like they got to their 20s scraping coins to buy new shit, even if someone gets to that point it's highly unlikely that they go pro.

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2020, 12:43:06 AM »
You guys ever sawed some shit? It takes a lot of passion.

Lisa96

« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2020, 01:02:29 AM »
he's a damn natural on a skateboard, fun to watch, green room or die

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2020, 01:43:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
showed up as a father
[close]

[close]

^this

trashparty

« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2020, 01:47:11 AM »

if im skating everyday like i normally do (5 days a week at the least)

im having to spend 50-60$ every 2-3 weeks on a deck + 5$ for grip

spend 75-100$ every month on shoes

also pay gas $ to get to spots, pay $ for mini dv tapes if im filming that day

plus theres the occasional broken truck / fucked wheel / smashed lens, but i wont add that to the price roundup.

So on average i spend about 175-200$ ish dollars a month on skate shit, not counting the stuff listed above which happens from time to time.

thats about 2200-2500$ a year.

and ur trynna tell me skating isnt that expensive ? lmao.

trashparty

« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2020, 01:55:42 AM »
oh i also forgot to add injuries, if you live in the states, that shit aint cheap.

and if ur a grom, ur parents r probably gonna want u padded up, which is another 200$ (for mom and dad).

Skateboard Shuffle

• Rep: 136
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2020, 07:20:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

plus theres the occasional broken truck / fucked wheel / smashed lens, but i wont add that to the price roundup.

So on average i spend about 175-200$ ish dollars a month on skate shit, not counting the stuff listed above which happens from time to time.

That's crazy talk. When I was in college and had no money and had an employee discount at a skate shop, I maaaybe bought one board a month and wore shoes for multiple months. Shoe Goo is your friend (even to patch holes on the sole). It's okay to have flat spots on your wheels. A huge chip in your nose or tail? No problem. I was skating several hours a day, seven days a week. My gear was janky and worn out, but you definitely don't need to have fresh gear every couple of weeks. </boomer rant>

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2020, 07:39:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's crazy talk. When I was in college and had no money and had an employee discount at a skate shop, I maaaybe bought one board a month and wore shoes for multiple months. Shoe Goo is your friend (even to patch holes on the sole). It's okay to have flat spots on your wheels. A huge chip in your nose or tail? No problem. I was skating several hours a day, seven days a week. My gear was janky and worn out, but you definitely don't need to have fresh gear every couple of weeks. </boomer rant>

Seriously, if you're dropping $100 on skate shoes every month and getting a new deck every 2 weeks, it is your fault that skateboarding is expensive for you. There's cheaper ways to do it. You must have some hustle to be able to be able to skate everyday and comfortably spend $2500+ a year on skate gear as a 20 year old, not including your $500 insoles.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2020, 07:51:54 AM »
oh i also forgot to add injuries, if you live in the states, that shit aint cheap.

and if ur a grom, ur parents r probably gonna want u padded up, which is another 200$ (for mom and dad).

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2020, 09:19:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You’re really reaching there ,bud.

I buy boards frequently but don’t spend that much a year. And even if I did that’s still not as much as a lot of other hobbies.