Author Topic: 360 Flips  (Read 17559 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
360 Flips
« on: October 23, 2020, 09:11:02 AM »
This trick definitely deserves it's on thread, I'll start it off by inserting the tips which silhouette shared in "Basic Ass Tricks Which Piss You Off" which addresses the most common issues (jumping way ahead of the board, catching on the nose):

Also for those struggling with 360 flips, yesterday at the park I taught two kids how to land their first ones, they had that typical problem of being hunched over the nose so the board would stay behind them. By breaking down the correct posture and alignment for them I realized a good indicator that I've always subconsciously used but never really defined that helped them get their landings instantly, basically before you pop you need to be sitting just as far back (and with a straight back) as so that the knee on your front leg is past your face. Looking straight down your face and vision should be focused on your thigh and nothing past your knee. If you're seeing anything past your knee then the board probably won't go in front of you because you're too hunched over. That fixes your position in a way so that your center of gravity is properly adjusted to the motions of the trick and you can basically just sit through the execution as the board stays under you while flipping (as long as you don't do anything funny with your shoulders and keep them square). I guess the same stands for impossibles as well although I've always just done the latter without overthinking its execution nearly as much.

Expand Quote
[close]
Doing them recently I realized I was doing them in three mental steps, first mental step is to make sure my front foot is properly nested flat inside the concave at the right angle with the right spot over the center of the board (finding that sweet spot ensures that you won't miss the flick), second step is to make sure the big toe on my back foot comes hugging the tail the right way, third step is locking the shoulders and hips in position to make sure I won't try and body varial away from the trick and the board will stay under me, and if the feeling is right throughout those three steps then I commit for certain because then I know I'm in control of what's going to happen and thus nothing can really go wrong.

IG clip of Ben Degros showing the old school (tougher, more forceful) and new school (easier, more graceful) foot positioning
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAal3TElcvZ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: 360 Flips
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 04:36:56 PM »
Luckily this is my most faithful flatground trick so I don't know about specific issues peoples have, but two things I tell people that generally seem to help are:

1) make sure your trucks are flat, or ever so slightly leaning towards the heel side before you do the trick. If its leaning towards the toe side then it won't work.

2) Scoop in the direction you're rolling, not back. Kinda hard to explain, but if you're regular, instead of trying to scoop 'south' with your back leg, but rather scoop 'west'. If you're goofy, instead of trying to scoop 'south', scoop 'east' as thats the direction you're rolling. Make sure the tail hits the ground and gets a pop too.

I think the latter point helps with the landing on the nose or too far ahead issue. I also have barely any front foot hanging on, dunno how some people do tres with their front foot in almost an ollie position lol.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 06:55:30 PM »
Watch Chico not Ben.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 07:45:39 PM »
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 07:57:59 PM by GardenSkater77 »

dime a dozen trend skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 11:14:16 AM »
The front foot should be completely flat, When I was learning them I would be sort of standing on my toes on my front foot and I never had enough friction to guide the board with my front foot. If you keep the front foot flat on the board you have way more control over the trick and they are way easier to catch.

I honestly might be the only one who’s had this problem but I think it’s an underrated aspect of the trick.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 12:50:22 PM »
The front foot should be completely flat, When I was learning them I would be sort of standing on my toes on my front foot and I never had enough friction to guide the board with my front foot. If you keep the front foot flat on the board you have way more control over the trick and they are way easier to catch.

I honestly might be the only one who’s had this problem but I think it’s an underrated aspect of the trick.

Im still really bad at them and can really only get them somewhat reliably on hips, but the flat front foot helps a lot. Board felt way more controlled and if I actually believed in myself I would have been sticking them 4/5 tries in yesterdays session. Was always on my toes before and I think it tenses the body up, keeping the feet flat felt way more relaxed.

As a joke with my buddy I pretended to be wade D and did the pants adjustment before one and for some reason that helped me keep my shoulders square. I guess pretending to be a good skater helps you become better idk

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 08:58:07 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0owlAPHpeYo&ab_channel=JustKeepSkating

I like most things Ben Degros but this 360 flip tutorial was lackluster, the guys on here had way better insight.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 10:41:51 PM »
People have to describe 'the scoop' better....there's no way that : imposs, bigspin, back 3, and 3 flip all use the same scoop.....so stop saying it....

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 11:01:22 PM »
Even when I could do them pretty consistently, I would have to use a lot of muscle to get enough "scoop"
I don't get how people could do them with such little effort

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 05:47:27 PM »
Even when I could do them pretty consistently, I would have to use a lot of muscle to get enough "scoop"

I still can’t wrap my head around the one Stevie does in his opening line.  It looks like he barely taps it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVAAWsTeR1s&feature=share

This is one of those tricks that I somewhat had a long time ago, but one day they just disappeared and never came back.  It kinda bums me out a little whenever I think about it, haha. 

Anyways, thanks to everyone that posted tips.  Lots of good, unique suggestions, all of which I’m going to try.  Much more helpful than the standard, glib “scoop really hard” advice.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 05:56:19 PM »
listen to cosmic psychos

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 06:03:15 PM »
360 flips frustrate me so much because I've always been able to do them, but they're never really a "regular" trick that I have. Some times I'll randomly do one first or second try, then the next day it'll look like I've never done one in my life.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »
When you have the right weight and pressure distribution and know how to pop/scoop, it starts to feel really light after some practice (in the sense that you don't have to scoop all that hard). Often it feels like about as much work as a pop shuv tbh. Make sure your tail hits the ground, and experiment with how you lean your trucks as well as your body weight distribution and how it affects the motion.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 07:34:14 PM »
When you have the right weight and pressure distribution and know how to pop/scoop, it starts to feel really light after some practice (in the sense that you don't have to scoop all that hard). Often it feels like about as much work as a pop shuv tbh. Make sure your tail hits the ground, and experiment with how you lean your trucks as well as your body weight distribution and how it affects the motion.

This right here. On my best days (a few weeks back) i didn't even think about scooping and could focus on my front foot staying out the the way and catching the board.

My friend describes the scoop as a "J" motion, in that your back foot pushes back and then forward (direction you are rolling in), but that's more the older, forceful 360 flip. But if you put too much focus on getting a hard scoop, you end up leaning your head and upper body too far over your board and you'll end up way in front of your board.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 11:36:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This right here. On my best days (a few weeks back) i didn't even think about scooping and could focus on my front foot staying out the the way and catching the board.

My friend describes the scoop as a "J" motion, in that your back foot pushes back and then forward (direction you are rolling in), but that's more the older, forceful 360 flip. But if you put too much focus on getting a hard scoop, you end up leaning your head and upper body too far over your board and you'll end up way in front of your board.

It varies, but for me, I just think about scooping it in the direction I'm rolling, no J motion, just straight in the direction I'm rolling while making sure the tail hits the ground.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 03:03:30 PM »
Just figured them out from CCS Dale Decker's video and watching Ben Degros video.  When they say it's the scoop it really is about that but something more.

Some people think it's like a BS shuv or something similar No it's like you're a flamingo scooping it high and bringing your back foot towards your groin area.

I landed them a few in a row and it was amazing I'm excited to have these in my bag now.
Dueces Bitch's

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 02:16:18 PM »
watch josh kalis do them

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 02:47:20 PM »
watch josh kalis do them
brian anderson has got a really good one, too.
but more importantly, i'm just thankful that everyone is calling them "360 flips" and NOT "tre flips." Even worse is calling them "tre bombs," those people need to be castrated.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 02:52:55 PM »
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 05:52:27 PM by pointandclick »

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021, 05:02:26 PM »
What are tips on getting over 360 flip chicken foot? My problem is that I almost always successfully rotate them, but sometimes i don't even jump... my front foot plants on the ground while I watch the board flip, then I stomp my back foot on when it completes rotation. It reminds me of when people do those 360 flips where they step entirely off the board and jump back on when it finishes rotating, and it makes me feel a little... gross.

On my best attempts I jump with the board, but my front foot still pulls away and lands on the ground heelside. I think I'm having the shoulder/hip stabilization problem... if I focus on locking my hips and shoulders, maybe my front foot won't bail on the trick?
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Frank and Fred

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2021, 08:20:51 PM »
This happens to me  a lot also. I just try to anticipate where the board will end up. For me 360 flips send it in front of me. After the pop, I try to keep my weight forward and momentum heading slightly in front of me. I suck though and land very few.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2021, 10:27:37 PM »
What are tips on getting over 360 flip chicken foot? My problem is that I almost always successfully rotate them, but sometimes i don't even jump... my front foot plants on the ground while I watch the board flip, then I stomp my back foot on when it completes rotation. It reminds me of when people do those 360 flips where they step entirely off the board and jump back on when it finishes rotating, and it makes me feel a little... gross.

On my best attempts I jump with the board, but my front foot still pulls away and lands on the ground heelside. I think I'm having the shoulder/hip stabilization problem... if I focus on locking my hips and shoulders, maybe my front foot won't bail on the trick?

when trying to land, keep your shoulders over where your nose and tail will end up. chances are you are opening up during the rotation and coming up 270ish

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021, 06:56:37 AM »

Hombreezy

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 07:01:22 PM »
Grip the board with your toes a bit. Like curl your toes around the edge of the tail. I’ve demonstrated this to people before by taking off my shoe and showing them how much I try to grip the board with my toes when I’m going to scoop. It can also help to sit back a bit over the back foot so your center of gravity and point of pop are a lot closer, this makes for an easier and more powerful scoop. I don’t sit back too much so I don’t fling them away or land sketchy. Some people like to really torque their ankle to get that “casual” one foot catch gross thing. I prefer the first method for that kalis look.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 03:12:11 AM by Hombreezy »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2021, 04:22:38 AM »
Tre flips are my arch enemy. 1990 and 1991, on shaped H-Street boards, i could do them totally fine. Lost a bit of them during the 1992-1993 shapes. Once boards were total popsicle shape, I just suck with this trick. I haven't even tried one in 2 years I think. About 18 years ago, I made a day out of only 360 flip attempts. A whole Saturday. Easily the most frustrating day of skating. I could get 6/10 by the end of the day but I just suck at them. I remember throwing my board at the end of that day and I'm not that kinda dude. Anyway with my rear foot ankle damage from last year, I still can't do the "scoop", so I can't even try these now. Part of me is fine but part of me is like "tre flips beat me"

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2021, 06:13:54 AM »
Grip the board with your toes a bit. Like curl your toes around the edge of the tail. I’ve demonstrated this to people before by taking off my shoe and showing them how much I try to grip the board with my toes when I’m going to scoop. It can also help to sit back a bit over the back foot so your center of gravity and point of pop are a lot closer, this makes for an easier and more powerful scoop.

That's great advice, bolded part in particular is key to getting the full rotation with a bit more control and less effort and that's regardless of the technique one uses to form the trick (but maybe especially for skaters with short legs like me who kind of have to get more explosive pop for that one). In general center of gravity and points of pressure/pop is all one needs to really figure out for most flip tricks and it's good when people approach them like that as opposed to wasting effort micromanaging the wrong stuff.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2021, 06:36:30 AM »
The 360 Flip is my ultimate bucket list trick. I landed a few when I was young but dropped it since I wouldn't get them consistently. Super hyped about this thread, so many good tips already! Cannot wait for warmer temperatures so I can bring myself to try it.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 01:05:03 PM »
After almost 23 years of trying, I finally started to understand how this trick works this morning.  I landed a bunch, and even caught a couple pretty solid and rode away clean.  I am beyond stoked to get out and try some more tonight.  With any luck I'll start to understand it a little better and get it dialed here before too long.

Thanks to everybody who pitched in on this thread for helping me get closer to realizing a goal that I've had for well over half my life.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2021, 02:14:28 PM »
Ok, got outside today and tried these for an hour or so and realized I described my problem incorrectly. My front foot is actually doing the right thing, but when I flip the board my back foot plants and I wait on it, sort of hopping along with the board if needed, until it completes rotation and I can catch woth my front foot.

When my front foot is on, I quickly just step on with my back foot. Do I just need to jump? I feel like it's that simple. Hints like scooping forward and bringing my back foot up after scooping seem helpful in my situation, but I'm concerned I've done this too many times and have made a habit out of not jumping.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2021, 02:29:35 PM »
Yeah, no you're really supposed to jump for that trick (at least with the popped technique), which honestly makes it a bit tiring - at least they wear me out when I overdo them. The way it feels, you sort of sit over your popping leg and then you jump off it just like a ollie except the board leaves your feet due to their positioning and movement. One thing I used to do as a kid to teach me how to jump with the board a bit better was to stare at my front bolts before popping and imagine where they would land, ahead of me and maybe slightly diagonally on the toe-side axis, which is what would dictate where I'd jump and try to catch the board with both feet. It would also help me keep my shoulders square and indirectly remind me about the scooping forward thing, using that somewhat vertical rebound on the pop instead of just thinking 'sideways' and wasting energy just mindlessly flinging the board around. It's easy to start leaning over the nose subconsciously while thinking that though so if you start tinkering with eye sight, make sure you don't develop that other bad habit (which is essentially the opposite and causes you to jump too far ahead while the board stays behind you, because you were slightly off applying the right forces). In a way, to learn this trick one kind of has the find the right balance between both ends of that spectrum of mistake.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:39:11 PM by silhouette »