Author Topic: 360 Flips  (Read 17573 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: 360 Flips
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2021, 08:14:30 PM »
Ended up confirming it, managed to land a few today when making sure my front shoulder is more parallel with the board

Shoulders square
Eyes shouldn't be looking past your popping knee
Jump up more than forward
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lame_Nigga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2021, 08:26:37 PM »
Something kind of goofy that helped me, is a friend told me to jump like Wii characters do when they win a game and I started landing them more often.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2021, 08:30:13 PM »
its been a couple months but im about to nail this trick

treflip practice is fucking exhausting tho

here's some things that helped me

having my big-toe area mainly on the side of the edge of the tail and really thinking about popping/scooping in the direction I roll

actually jumping mainly throwing my shoulder ups like I'm about to take flight
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2021, 02:51:10 AM »
just a non helpful comment passing through

but im 28, started really learning tricks 2 years ago. almost have kickflips.
just reading these comments like

for when im ready to tackle this shi

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2021, 07:57:03 AM »
Getting reeeeal close thanks to this thread/some YT vids. I got that big toe almost curled over the board and it feels really cool forming them with just the back foot.

dime a dozen trend skater

• Rep: 6
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2021, 08:00:04 PM »
I’ve always been really good at doing an impossible wrap with my back foot while just standing around, so a few days ago I tried doing an actual impossible and learned the trick in about half an hour. Unfortunately I’ve completely lost 360 flips now! I never had this trick down completely to begin with but now when I setup with my weight in the pocket ready to scoop in front of me I just do a weird half impossible half three shuv thing. It still kinda rotates around my back foot but it’s popped and doesn’t wrap.

I’m just now realizing as I write this I probably was subconsciously lifting my front foot like an impossible, next time I skate I’m gonna try to keep my front foot on the board and perhaps I’ll get a strange vertical 360 flip, hopefully it works because the scoop is much easier this way for me.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2021, 07:45:11 PM »
Try them on smooth surfaces. Gritty shitty pavement will work against you heavy

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2021, 06:57:38 PM »
Try them on smooth surfaces. Gritty shitty pavement will work against you heavy

Solid advice. I was trying these on Monday on skatepark ground and landed 2. Tonight, trying them on a rough street was noticeably harder.

I also think my body was still beat from Monday's long session that culminated in about 45 mins of 360 flip attempts. I just started jumping with them finally and kept nearly sticking them and couldn't stop, and I think I finally broke my bad chicken foot habit. Gotta do more work figuring out how to form the rotation with less effort though, my scooping leg is still sore days later.

So far all the tips here have really helped me understand the trick. Leaning back, doing less with with front foot, and locking the shoulders have all helped me get closer to having this one. You guys are great!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2021, 03:41:09 AM »
I am getting the board to flip more consistently, and when I apply tips from this thread (like standing boxed) it also rotates under the body. However, I cannot get myself to commit and am always pulling the front foot out to the side for a safety landing. One reason is that the ones that flip well are popped higher than I can comfortably jump, and if I try to pop less the flip does not complete.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2021, 09:47:05 PM »
its been a couple months but im about to nail this trick

treflip practice is fucking exhausting tho

here's some things that helped me

having my big-toe area mainly on the side of the edge of the tail and really thinking about popping/scooping in the direction I roll

actually jumping mainly throwing my shoulder ups like I'm about to take flight

can finally land some really ugly ones consistently. I always land so far up the nose/front bolts anyone know how to fix that?
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2021, 08:41:19 AM »
how do u catch them?

rn i can do them but its always just fling wildly and hope i land on it rather than a controlled catch

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2021, 08:48:41 AM »
how do u catch them?

rn i can do them but its always just fling wildly and hope i land on it rather than a controlled catch
It helps me if I mentally plan to scoop the tre up into the highest point of my jump rather than scoop it so the trajectory finishes on the ground. Not a practical strategy but having that goal in mind makes me get the tre flip to happen on the uptick and i catch it more consistently.

jaydella

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2021, 08:06:43 AM »

This describes all of my skating.

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2021, 11:28:15 AM »
Big toe wrapped around the edge of the tail. Front foot about like kick flip position with the arch of your foot digging into the edge of the board to counter balancing the pressure of your back foot toe. Keep that edge-to-edge balance while you crouch down to pop, hanging your arms like a gorilla with your shoulders square with the board. When you've got the pressure loaded up like that already you don't have to put as much work into the scoop, just a little extra ankle flick in the direction you're skating. Front foot kicks straight forward in the direction you're skating to catch a little bit of flick while the board starts rotating and being in the position to catch the grip tape as it comes around. Try to leap off your popping foot and land more on your flick/catching foot. Watch BA's tre in Nike Swoosh at about 2:05 in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ijpv6e57a4

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2021, 12:12:53 AM »
Silhouette consistently kills it in skating and explanations and I mean no offence but it’s psycho that it’s in a different language for him
Mad cunt
listen to cosmic psychos

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2021, 09:49:02 PM »
Took me 40 tries but I landed 2 360 flips, ugly as sin but that was as good as I was going to get them. So much to un-learn but at least I know I'm doing them high and popped.

Big toe wrapped around the edge of the tail. Front foot about like kick flip position with the arch of your foot digging into the edge of the board to counter balancing the pressure of your back foot toe. Keep that edge-to-edge balance while you crouch down to pop, hanging your arms like a gorilla with your shoulders square with the board. When you've got the pressure loaded up like that already you don't have to put as much work into the scoop, just a little extra ankle flick in the direction you're skating. Front foot kicks straight forward in the direction you're skating to catch a little bit of flick while the board starts rotating and being in the position to catch the grip tape as it comes around. Try to leap off your popping foot and land more on your flick/catching foot. Watch BA's tre in Nike Swoosh at about 2:05 in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ijpv6e57a4

Kept visualizing BA's 2:08, getting a good one is all about leverage. But seeing him do those got me hyped to work on them instead of sticking to my staples.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2021, 12:28:48 AM »
I am on a mission to land my first one in at least 15 years today. The tips in this thread have been invaluable, been getting close over the last couple of weeks. I feel the only missing piece is full commitment now. If I find the power to jump high enough, that is. Wish me luck. :)

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2021, 09:02:01 AM »
I am on a mission to land my first one in at least 15 years today. The tips in this thread have been invaluable, been getting close over the last couple of weeks. I feel the only missing piece is full commitment now. If I find the power to jump high enough, that is. Wish me luck. :)

Good luck, brother!  I've never had 360 flips but I've decided to put some real effort into them every sesh.  I'm 48.  Why am I doing this to myself?

All the tips in this thread have been gold and I'm closer than I've ever been.  When the scoop is good that shit does exactly what it should do, but as always, it's the commitment.  If I get them before I'm 50 I'll be super stoked.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2021, 10:03:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good luck, brother!  I've never had 360 flips but I've decided to put some real effort into them every sesh.  I'm 48.  Why am I doing this to myself?

All the tips in this thread have been gold and I'm closer than I've ever been.  When the scoop is good that shit does exactly what it should do, but as always, it's the commitment.  If I get them before I'm 50 I'll be super stoked.

Thanks! Awesome to read you are on the same mission. At 48 even! I am 38 and felt it was the right time after loosing weight over the last few months. I didn’t get it today, but I really committed for the first time. Totally changed the dynamics of the movement, I basically lost the scoop as soon as I stopped pulling the front foot out to the side for a safety landing. Need to bring myself to really kick it out over the nose.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2021, 06:50:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks! Awesome to read you are on the same mission. At 48 even! I am 38 and felt it was the right time after loosing weight over the last few months. I didn’t get it today, but I really committed for the first time. Totally changed the dynamics of the movement, I basically lost the scoop as soon as I stopped pulling the front foot out to the side for a safety landing. Need to bring myself to really kick it out over the nose.

What surprised me was the lack of flick needed for the trick, pressure on the heel side rail of the deck causes the flip. The front foot shoots straight forward and waits for the catch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2021, 12:35:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

What surprised me was the lack of flick needed for the trick, pressure on the heel side rail of the deck causes the flip. The front foot shoots straight forward and waits for the catch.

Yeah, that’s what I meant by kicking out. On some attempts I could feel my front foot stopping the rotation, landed a few 360 Shove-Its for this reason. On others I just wasn’t able to properly scoop the tail when trying to jump high enough.

shlutttmongerer

• Rep: 0
  • he\she\we\them\they\it\me\heshe
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2021, 09:43:37 AM »
I hug the pocket with my toe on back foot, and my front foot is flat/ or on toes doesn't matter.

But the trick for me and the way I've taught others is by telling them to have the your weight distributed exactly the same on both feet.

Hubba Bo-Tep

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2021, 09:52:22 AM »
Getting closer than I've ever been after a few sessions in a row this week.  Shoulders parallel to the rails just isn't working for me though, my front foot responds badly to that position (it seeks the safe refuge of the ground about a foot away from the action).  As soon as I opened my shoulders a few degrees my front foot started behaving itself and was happily hanging out in the air in the general vicinity of the board.  I also got the back foot motion formed properly yesterday and the board did what it was supposed to do more often than not.  Now all I need to do is move my weight slightly further back when I'm scooping and I'll have it.

Vernon Wells

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 34
  • Paydayyyyyyy
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2022, 09:34:43 AM »
Anyone ever deal with the issue of catching 360 flips with the back foot instead of the front? And have any pointers to fix it. Think I landed a few yesterday with a front foot catch but it was a struggle.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2022, 01:06:58 PM »
Anyone ever deal with the issue of catching 360 flips with the back foot instead of the front? And have any pointers to fix it. Think I landed a few yesterday with a front foot catch but it was a struggle.

No tips, but I have the same issue. Rarely land them, and when I do I usually fall straight on my ass.  :(
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2022, 07:55:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No tips, but I have the same issue. Rarely land them, and when I do I usually fall straight on my ass.  :(
I too have this problem but I found a hidden benefit when doing them on a bank especially when carving backside/ doing a back 180 (whatever that tricks called) altho ive seen plenty of people do this with proper front foot catch so maybe not..

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2022, 08:04:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I too have this problem but I found a hidden benefit when doing them on a bank especially when carving backside/ doing a back 180 (whatever that tricks called) altho ive seen plenty of people do this with proper front foot catch so maybe not..

Sweet! Thanks for the tip! I have a little bank by my house. Imma hit it up on lunch break and see what happens.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

LebowskisRug

« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2022, 10:58:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Even when I could do them pretty consistently, I would have to use a lot of muscle to get enough "scoop"
I don't get how people could do them with such little effort
[close]

I still can’t wrap my head around the one Stevie does in his opening line.  It looks like he barely taps it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVAAWsTeR1s&feature=share

This is one of those tricks that I somewhat had a long time ago, but one day they just disappeared and never came back.  It kinda bums me out a little whenever I think about it, haha. 

Anyways, thanks to everyone that posted tips.  Lots of good, unique suggestions, all of which I’m going to try.  Much more helpful than the standard, glib “scoop really hard” advice.

Strobeck said it best: "Stevie when he was poor had the best style of all time"

Hubba Bo-Tep

« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2022, 11:48:04 AM »
Almost one year later, one rolled ankle and not really putting in as much work as I should have, I managed to get both feet onto a 360 flip a couple of weeks ago after having a lengthy discussion with Silhouette about pre-loading/weight distribution/etc.  I ate it when I got that one so it doesn't count.  Too much jumping 'over there' and hoping the deck meets my feet.  Silhouette suggested (among other things) that I don't 'jump over there' and jump straight up (just like Stevie does in that clip).  One thing I noticed with Stevie's 360 flip is he doesn't pop or move his front leg until he's fully extended on the jump so that's the next thing to work on, the timing of the pop/scoop.  There's a couple of other little things I noticed in Stevie's clip like the flat front foot, limiting the height of the front leg during the flip and the position/angle of the back foot before the pop, but I've definitely got to work on the timing first.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2022, 09:01:28 AM »
Almost one year later, one rolled ankle and not really putting in as much work as I should have, I managed to get both feet onto a 360 flip a couple of weeks ago after having a lengthy discussion with Silhouette about pre-loading/weight distribution/etc.  I ate it when I got that one so it doesn't count.  Too much jumping 'over there' and hoping the deck meets my feet.  Silhouette suggested (among other things) that I don't 'jump over there' and jump straight up (just like Stevie does in that clip).  One thing I noticed with Stevie's 360 flip is he doesn't pop or move his front leg until he's fully extended on the jump so that's the next thing to work on, the timing of the pop/scoop.  There's a couple of other little things I noticed in Stevie's clip like the flat front foot, limiting the height of the front leg during the flip and the position/angle of the back foot before the pop, but I've definitely got to work on the timing first.

That Stevie 360 flip works mostly because of how the back foot is positioned perfectly opposite to the front foot on the correct axis for that trick and most especially, see how it's slightly angled and the big toe is resting on one very particular corner of the tail. That's for once he pops straight down, this (toe-side) part of the tail is going to smack the ground first, causing the opposite edge of the concave to stick to the front foot better and optimize the efficiency and reaction of the flip. For some reason it seems to go over a lot of people's heads that your tail actually has to hit the ground a different way (in a different spot first) on different tricks, stuff doesn't ever happen just straight down, your tail isn't one singular object and it is important which segment of it 'rebounds'. That's basically what controls whatever movement it is that you imprint that your front foot then has to respond to, be it catching certain tricks to prevent them from flipping (e.g.. frontside big spins), or getting it out of the way to instantly counter that grip on the toes with a flick.

Flick on 360 flips I feel like doesn't happen so early and mostly diagonally whilst on the way up. You're sort of supposed to kick through the board to get that trick going and so the earlier you do it, the most likely you're going to waste energy mobbing them (that's actually how one does 360 double flips too; more pressure flip type of build-up, earlier mobbed flick).