Author Topic: 360 Flips  (Read 17580 times)

Mark Renton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
Re: 360 Flips
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2022, 02:03:54 AM »
I still don’t have them properly normal cos I often do everything ok but then I my balance is off (shoulders are in a weird position when I land).

Friends told me I should block my shoulders parallel like separate upper from lower body.
Another friend corrected my back foot position so that the toes point diagonally and not 90 degrees angle to the moving direction.

It’s so tough to explain hope you get what I’m trying to say. I just need to spend more time on it but it pisses me off that this trick makes so much more sense switch / nollie than regular.. same with impossibles.

When I had them they were easier than kick flips so I need to put more time into them to get them back.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2022, 02:59:06 AM »
Unrequested update: I’m getting super close like landing them then falling off they’re there I’m so stoked, also cos I’m riding a 8.4 for the first time ever. Goes to show you can get used to everything.

Let’s go, so hyped on skating.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2022, 11:14:06 AM »
Unrequested update: I’m getting super close like landing them then falling off they’re there I’m so stoked, also cos I’m riding a 8.4 for the first time ever. Goes to show you can get used to everything.

Fuck yeah. When you get them let me know what worked. Cause I’m on the struggle bus with them

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2022, 05:07:38 AM »

Sick, keep it up! I’ve got a few more months to get there, promised myself I’d get it by my 40th birthday in August.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2022, 05:37:43 AM »
This thread is a gold mine. Thanks to these tipps I came close to land them but no luck yet.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2022, 11:29:01 AM »
Expand Quote

So you wanna do trey flips. Well here’s the big cat about to teach you how to Trey flip in the safari. Trey flips are arguably easier because you don’t have to know how to flick with your front foot. Actually on the contrary you dont want your traditional ankle roll with a trey. It’s a big toe roll if you do it right. It helps to know 360 shuvits(not ollie 360 shuvits, non popped 3). The other thing about 360 flips is that you need to learn how to do a rocking motion with your back foot. So basically without your front foot on the board put the middle toe of your back foot right over the edge of the board rail on the back bolts, just the back foot, put 75-80% of your foot weight on your big toe in said position, then slowly rock to about 60% of your weight to your heel. Now after you have that subtle rocking, try to slide the wheels while you rock, use that toe to pull the slide and then go toe heel on the rock. After you learn how to pull it and rock it, then try to do it hard and pull your foot away. Eventually you will make it flip a 360 flip with just your back foot, kind of like a 360 flip no comply but you aren’t really “popping” like a no comply, so a really shitty no comply 360 flip. Eventually once your back foot can create that flip profile, then it’s time to add the front foot. Put your front foot at about a 30 degree angle from the rail with about half of it on the board half off. Do the same back foot motion but this time jump, and flick your front foots toe down. I call this style of trey flip the toe down shaping. Extremely useful for flatground because it looks good and gives extreme consistency. Now this shaping once you want to take it to obstacles falls apart like a lot of different shapings for other tricks, but if I’m skating a contest and want to throw a flatground trey flip out there, that’s the type of shaping I’m gonna use because the percaentage of Landing it is highest. Once you figure out how to do traditional toe down shaping come back, and I’ll give you tips on how to do high shaped treys, or if you want to yo it out or do another’s shaping profile this big cat will imbue you with the knowledge.
[close]

Straight from the Big Cat himself. Exactly 1  year ago today.

This kinda works. Which blows my mind.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2022, 04:22:10 AM »
Definitely useful tips in this thread. Thanks everyone!

Just have to chip away, figure out what works for me, and discard the rest.

“It seems that perfection is not achieved when there is nothing left to add, but when nothing more can be left out,” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2022, 02:52:57 AM »
Does anyone else find bending down comically low before popping helps keep it under you

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2022, 10:34:03 AM »
Does anyone else find bending down comically low before popping helps keep it under you

Only way I can do it. I'm basically down to a squat.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2022, 11:30:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Me too. And of course as I get tired I can't do them anymore because my body refuses to get that low an hour into a session.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2022, 12:01:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Me too. And of course as I get tired I can't do them anymore because my body refuses to get that low an hour into a session.

Me too. It's a trade off. Like I can do the trick.... But does it look dogshit.. I'll never know

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2022, 08:15:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Me too. It's a trade off. Like I can do the trick.... But does it look dogshit.. I'll never know

Unfortunately I’ve seen the tape and I am dogshit.

I actually cannot squat down low, something bad happens in my legs, I get stuck down there.

The things that have helped me the most have been: looking at the lowest toe side bolt on the front truck (if regular, the bottom right), and then reading silhouette, chee tah, and watching the cobra video bfrd posted. Also skating a consistent setup. My regular ones have never been more consistent (less exciting tho), and I’ve backslid on the other three: nollie is completely out of the question rn, fakie is terrifying, and switch …I can pose em, but no landing. But the pose looks real legit eyeroll

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2022, 06:03:31 AM »

flicking the front foot and scooping the back foot in unison does it for me

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2022, 03:28:58 AM »
I’m gonna throw this out here too

https://i.imgur.com/f1IdTU9.mp4

Mine are far from consistent, and some days it just doesn’t work at all.
Anybody see what the trouble is?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2022, 03:37:45 AM »
That's my problem whenever I slack on that trick for too long and I need to refine it again. You're turning your shoulders after you pop as if to try to catch the board early in order to compensate for a (reasonably) possible lack of rotation on the 360. Whenever that works and you can sort of shifty it back feels fucking amazing but for efficiency try really keeping your shoulders square throughout the whole jump and basically only really work with your lower body as much as you can. Maybe find a slightly more optimal positioning for your back foot to ensure that you really consistently get a good, safe scoop and then mostly use your hips to help imprint the motion, the more you lock them in place the more explosive your pop will be (and the looser they are the more it will be weakened) when you're trying to push the board sideways. Keep the center of your board as a reference but don't hunch over it, mostly sit back over your back leg with a relatively straight back and then insist on sending the trick what feels directly ahead of you (in the direction you're going).

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2022, 04:19:38 AM »
Yeah, today shoulder position seemed to be the key.
I usually skate with my shoulders pretty open forward, and it gives trouble on some tricks. Like the switch bs flip on the other thread.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2022, 05:41:32 AM »
Really I usually see two types of 360 flips people do in general, some completely face the direction they're going then pop and sweep (which I actually recommend) and some keep shoulders parallel to the board and treat it more like a sideways trick using brute force (maybe more scoop-based). It probably doesn't matter much what one's preferred technique that works for them is, the important part I think really is mostly work the trick with your lower body which involves (sometimes consciously) keeping your upper body aligned in position, regardless of what exactly that is.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2022, 07:54:03 AM »
The cobra trick tip video bfrd referenced earlier in the thread, had a nugget about head positioning, that seems relevant for whale, maybe not. It was easier for me to concentrate on head placement, than shoulder position, but it ended up feeling like it had a similar effect on my trick posture.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2022, 11:45:53 PM »
Reading through old Chromeball interviews, this Gino bit got me feelin all warm inside.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2022, 07:49:21 AM »
Reading through old Chromeball interviews, this Gino bit got me feelin all warm inside.

I’d trade my doo-doo treflip for his shuv it-flip any day. I just can’t do em

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2022, 09:38:47 AM »
Squat like you're about to sit in a chair, not like you're picking something up off the ground.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2022, 01:51:31 PM »
Landed a couple.. key for me was to keep the front foot high after the light flick. I had to exaggerate that to land them cos otherwise I would land them only with the back foot.

They still take a stupid amount of effort on flatground. So frustrating, but I also never try them cos I get angry so what else do I expect. 

Fhk

« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2022, 04:44:57 PM »
Landed a couple.. key for me was to keep the front foot high after the light flick. I had to exaggerate that to land them cos otherwise I would land them only with the back foot.

They still take a stupid amount of effort on flatground. So frustrating, but I also never try them cos I get angry so what else do I expect.
Keep at em..they will become second nature before you know it!

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2022, 05:50:26 AM »
I had set out to learn 360 Flips before turning 40, but with only a few weeks to go I am not so confident any more. Landed like two or three when I was young but I just cannot get myself to jump high enough and commit any more.

DangerJP

• Rep: 2
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2022, 11:32:48 AM »
I had set out to learn 360 Flips before turning 40, but with only a few weeks to go I am not so confident any more. Landed like two or three when I was young but I just cannot get myself to jump high enough and commit any more.

Same here, except I'm 40 since December, too late I guess...

But I'm not giving up :)

There is so many good tips in this thread!

When I'm not skating, I can visualize myself landing it easily, but this confidence instantly vanishes when I step on my board. It's like I must "de-program" my brain from decades (literally) of catching the board with my back foot and not stepping "on it". Plus, every attempt takes SO much energy for me. I'll never understand people that does them without effort, Appleyard-style. Always seemed like magic to me.

If I ever manage to land this trick with a minimum of consistency, it will feel like a lifetime accomplishment :)

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2022, 12:04:10 PM »
I feel similarly to the other 40-somethings in this thread. I know how to do a tre flip (and a halfway decent one), but managing to catch it is something else altogether. Lately I’ve attributed this to my diminishing reaction times - I just cannot get caught up to the board fast enough. Or maybe it’s just a mental block/lack of commitment.

The last time I caught one, I stomped the tail in a weird way at the board ended up flying up and colliding with my Adam’s apple. I couldn’t breathe and felt like I was gonna pass out for about thirty seconds. This probably doesn’t help with my attempts.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2022, 02:58:32 PM »
so close to these

Fhk

« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2022, 05:28:18 PM »
Get em fellas! Don’t give up

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2022, 02:59:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
When I'm not skating, I can visualize myself landing it easily, but this confidence instantly vanishes when I step on my board. It's like I must "de-program" my brain from decades (literally) of catching the board with my back foot and not stepping "on it". Plus, every attempt takes SO much energy for me. I'll never understand people that does them without effort, Appleyard-style. Always seemed like magic to me.

Haha, this is exactly where I'm at. And if I get myself to commit, it turns into a 360 Shove.

https://youtu.be/7ZEnVtWPrA0

Fhk

« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2022, 03:01:41 PM »
Suck that front foot up and you’re textbook PAL