Author Topic: 360 Flips  (Read 17556 times)

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
Re: 360 Flips
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »
Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. Fuck gravity, I'll make it happen.

Fhk

« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2022, 03:31:22 PM »
Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. Fuck gravity, I'll make it happen.
Hell yes

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2022, 03:49:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I had set out to learn 360 Flips before turning 40, but with only a few weeks to go I am not so confident any more. Landed like two or three when I was young but I just cannot get myself to jump high enough and commit any more.
[close]
When I'm not skating, I can visualize myself landing it easily, but this confidence instantly vanishes when I step on my board. It's like I must "de-program" my brain from decades (literally) of catching the board with my back foot and not stepping "on it". Plus, every attempt takes SO much energy for me. I'll never understand people that does them without effort, Appleyard-style. Always seemed like magic to me.
[close]

Haha, this is exactly where I'm at. And if I get myself to commit, it turns into a 360 Shove.

https://youtu.be/7ZEnVtWPrA0

Ah but here you're bending over and looking down on your nose before you pop so of course as soon as you do you can only jump ahead and not straight up. You have perfect form otherwise so just try refining nothing but your upper body posture, keep your back a bit more straight, don't look anywhere past your front knee and try to send the trick in front of you a little (like a pop shove-it you would want to go really vertically). Hunching over ever so slightly like that actually takes physical effort too all the while wasting efficiency on the pop (making it more tiresome) so I suspect the maneuver will suddenly feel a lot easier once you've figured that out. On literally the next session wouldn't surprise me.

And if they turn into 360 shoves when you stay more centered then that might mean you're putting too much body weight into your flick. You don't need to jump ahead with the whole of your front leg and an exaggerated kick, just light toe action should suffice if you've built up the pop correctly (pressure in the toe-side corner of the tail, big toe making love to the concave).

Fhk

« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2022, 06:10:17 PM »
https://i.imgur.com/BxpVdjb.mp4
I’d listen to @silhouette and Im sorry if I gave shitty advice..I have to hunch over and keep my dome over the nose..it certainly doesn’t earn any points for style but it keeps it under me consistently.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2022, 12:27:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I had set out to learn 360 Flips before turning 40, but with only a few weeks to go I am not so confident any more. Landed like two or three when I was young but I just cannot get myself to jump high enough and commit any more.
[close]
When I'm not skating, I can visualize myself landing it easily, but this confidence instantly vanishes when I step on my board. It's like I must "de-program" my brain from decades (literally) of catching the board with my back foot and not stepping "on it". Plus, every attempt takes SO much energy for me. I'll never understand people that does them without effort, Appleyard-style. Always seemed like magic to me.
[close]

Haha, this is exactly where I'm at. And if I get myself to commit, it turns into a 360 Shove.

https://youtu.be/7ZEnVtWPrA0
[close]

Ah but here you're bending over and looking down on your nose before you pop so of course as soon as you do you can only jump ahead and not straight up. You have perfect form otherwise so just try refining nothing but your upper body posture, keep your back a bit more straight, don't look anywhere past your front knee and try to send the trick in front of you a little (like a pop shove-it you would want to go really vertically). Hunching over ever so slightly like that actually takes physical effort too all the while wasting efficiency on the pop (making it more tiresome) so I suspect the maneuver will suddenly feel a lot easier once you've figured that out. On literally the next session wouldn't surprise me.

And if they turn into 360 shoves when you stay more centered then that might mean you're putting too much body weight into your flick. You don't need to jump ahead with the whole of your front leg and an exaggerated kick, just light toe action should suffice if you've built up the pop correctly (pressure in the toe-side corner of the tail, big toe making love to the concave).

Thanks heaps, cannot wait to try. Upper body and shoulders generally give me trouble. Beyond skating, even. The hunching is probably also related to being 6' 5" and trying to feel closer to the ground. It messes with a lot of tricks, including my terrible Kickflip.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2022, 12:40:27 AM »
everyone always mentions toe side pocket, but the only way they work for me is when I move my back foot backward, still toe side but towards the tail-end of the tail.

same for (scooped) bs 360's

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2022, 01:16:38 AM »

Concentrate on really sucking your knees up and holding them there. Land on the board, but don't extend your legs to stab it out of the air. I've got bad old guy legs and struggle with getting the rotation all the way around unless I do that.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2022, 01:30:09 AM »
everyone always mentions toe side pocket, but the only way they work for me is when I move my back foot backward, still toe side but towards the tail-end of the tail.

That's actually a good point, I think it's basically a case of same technique in principle, different leverage. I've observed doing 360 flips over hips (where they sort of spontaneously turn into a different, more vertical trick anyway) I'll tend to spontaneously do what you described, making the trick feel a lot closer to a normal ollie you let go off and see change form. On flat though I'll insist on the pocket and treat them more like some kind of ollie impossible my front foot misleads then flicks through. This may be due to my short legs and having to compensate, but then again some of the best switch 360 flips I've done I remember felt the way you describe yours so it really just may be longtime personal habit on my normal ones. Fakie 360 flips on flat where you need mostly pop and barely any scoop I probably do it too.

For backside 360 ollies on flat I absolutely do need my toe in the pocket personally, but I've seen people do them the way you describe too. Seems to be more pop based and less scoop based then (again). Maybe I'll eventually get there by just doing them more and naturally adjusting towards optimal. I have a friend who used to do knee-high pressure 360 flips from a positioning very similar to what you describe, too (not the Nate Sherwood inward heelflip style ones; actual 360 flips using just the back foot, front foot would start out flat e.g.. pre-heelflip then do nothing at all), basically using the same rebound on the pop as you do just super exaggerated to send the board off-axis with a solid swipe, I remember trying those with him once and realizing they actually were really hard, I don't think I even made one.

@listentoaheartbeat I only realized your height from the 1000th post video you just posted earlier (congrats!), now I can see what you're trying to do with your center of gravity here a bit better. I'm basically a foot shorter in height than you, so my tips and hacks will only help so much, but still it's definitely just posture here, with just that keyword in mind I'm sure you'll get results and figure out the missing piece of the puzzle on your own! Also, upper body and shoulder control and coordination really is what literally every skater struggles with and has to overcome in order to learn just about anything with a rotation (including basics like carving), so you have no reason to feel particularly cursed there I don't think.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 02:58:14 AM by silhouette »

DangerJP

• Rep: 2
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2022, 05:40:04 AM »
@listentoaheartbeat I only realized your height from the 1000th post video you just posted earlier (congrats!), now I can see what you're trying to do with your center of gravity here a bit better. I'm basically a foot shorter in height than you, so my tips and hacks will only help so much, but still it's definitely just posture here, with just that keyword in mind I'm sure you'll get results and figure out the missing piece of the puzzle on your own! Also, upper body and shoulder control and coordination really is what literally every skater struggles with and has to overcome in order to learn just about anything with a rotation (including basics like carving), so you have no reason to feel particularly cursed there I don't think.

I think I might have the same problem. You give really good insight, thanks !

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2022, 05:48:35 AM »
37yo here.

I got closest yet to tres today, one of the park locals helped me out with the scoop so now I can pretty much do the flip and keep it landing just ahead of me.

for the first time today I managed five or six in a row where I was popping the scoop with the back foot and catching the trick with the front foot whilst my back foot goes to ground.

I'm probably a little ways off committing keeping that back foot in the air, but it feels like the best bit of solid progress I've had on these.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2022, 06:06:34 AM »

I actually think I am doing the same, but with my size 50 feet the two positions are not so different anyway. ;)

Concentrate on really sucking your knees up and holding them there. Land on the board, but don't extend your legs to stab it out of the air. I've got bad old guy legs and struggle with getting the rotation all the way around unless I do that.

Good advise, especially since stomping any trick crushes my ankles and feet. Less stomping = longer sessions = more attempts.

Thanks, it has been running joke forever since I do it in a pronounced way and my height makes it look proper funny sometimes. As if I was looking for pennies on the ground or something.

I make it work for some tricks that I have on lock (well, relatively speaking), like Bs 180s, but even those feel better and pop higher if I straighten my back a bit.

I believe these tips actually work in tandem, sucking up my knees up will be easier if I don't hunch so much.

Skatebeard

« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2022, 05:22:45 AM »
Inspired by this thread I had a session on tres on my lunchbreak today, only my second really serious go at them, so be kind lol.

https://vimeo.com/732079956

Anything else I can be doing here to help myself? or is it just a case of jumping a bit more and crossing that commitment barrier with my back foot? I can pretty much pop the full flip and get to it every time with my front foot like this...but feel like I have a bit of a mental block to overcome to commit that back leg.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2022, 06:08:53 AM »
Inspired by this thread I had a session on tres on my lunchbreak today, only my second really serious go at them, so be kind lol.

https://vimeo.com/732079956

Anything else I can be doing here to help myself? or is it just a case of jumping a bit more and crossing that commitment barrier with my back foot? I can pretty much pop the full flip and get to it every time with my front foot like this...but feel like I have a bit of a mental block to overcome to commit that back leg.

From my perspective, you're forming the trick right with your feet doing the basic formula they're supposed to compute, just this very frame is where you gave up:

You can see from your posture, part of the force you're putting into the trick so far to achieve the desired rotation is by sending it ahead of you, which actually sort of is the principle except you need to be jumping with it and for that you need to suck your knees up, similarly to how you would to catch the highest pop shove-it you can do for how you're supposed to remain over the board. But that's only for how the catch feels and I wouldn't recommend thinking 'pop shove-it' or you might start missing the 360. First minor detail that caught my attention was seeing how parallel to the board you were preparing for the pop and how 'sideways' your approach of the trick looked, looks like you're really insisting on sweeping that tail around which again actually is fine too but may be awkward to combine with your tendency of also sending the trick in front of you, have you tried a posture where you'd be facing the nose and direction you're going a bit more? I feel like that's key to a lot in this trick, you sit back resting the majority of your weight over the back half of the board, lock your shoulders in that position and then you can do basically exactly what you're doing (and jump towards it). For the jump I feel like the front bolts are a good pre-indicator of just about where you're supposed to aim for landing so long as the board actually does what it's supposed to and doesn't go (or you don't go) off axis.

It took me months to even learn how to form that trick back in the day, so I'd say you're in fact doing pretty amazing. Also given your current habit I'd say maybe try and give fakie 360 flips a shot, those are commonly easier and basically rely on the exact technique you're showing now just in the wrong stance (going fakie should fix your problem with momentum).

Skatebeard

« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2022, 06:56:03 AM »
thanks for the feedback - some really useful stuff in there.

funnily enough i usually do kickflips and varial flips with pretty open shoulders - so i was actively actually trying to close them up here and keep them more parallel to the board... maybe i should try a few with that more natural open posture for me and see what happens.

I haven't really tried them fakie since making this progress so could be worth revisiting. I learned Fakie bigflips last year so when rolling fakie i have a tendancy to throw my shoulders with the trick.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2022, 07:28:50 AM »
Ah if you have fakie big flips down then fakie 360 flip should be a given, assuming you can do fakie 360 shoves (non-popped), all you need to do is pretend you're doing one of those but then at the last moment, grip the concave to form just what you're forming here (and jump).

In regular stance on certain 360 tricks like that (impossibles are another instance for me) I find that it helps to visualize that when popping what you're really trying to do is send the tail through the nose but then also back up and around, forces you to go through imprinting the full 360 and then like I was saying you can just sort of sit there over the board and comfortably catch it.

Proneness to turn the shoulders on the fakie variant also means halfcab 360 flips (or fakie bigger flips or whatever fellow kids call them these days) will come very naturally to you as soon as fakie 360 flip clicks, they're essentially the same thing whilst turning just like fakie big flip is essentially a fakie varial flip whilst turning if we can even really call it turning the act of carving or reverting back into your natural stance. Come to think of it you might not even need fakie 360 flip for those, just throwing a fakie big flip around with more force and your newly developed technique for forming 360 flips it might work. Funny how that sort of seems to take mental training, teaching your brain to accept that yes it really is a safe option if the board goes around 360 before you catch it again.

A process I could see work out for you if you have access to a simple flat bank would be learning, in this order, fakie 360 flip on flat, then take that technique to 360 flips to fakie on the bank, and then transition over to 360 flips on flat.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 07:38:38 AM by silhouette »

Skatebeard

« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2022, 07:37:48 AM »
Ah if you have fakie big flips down then fakie 360 flip should be a given, assuming you can do fakie 360 shoves (non-popped), all you need to do is pretend you're doing one of those but then at the last moment, grip the concave to form just what you're forming here (and jump).

In regular stance on certain 360 tricks like that (impossibles are another instance for me) I find that it helps to visualize that when popping what you're really trying to do is send the tail through the nose but then also back up and around, forces you to go through imprinting the full 360 and then like I was saying you can just sort of sit there over the board and comfortably catch it.

Proneness to turn the shoulders on the fakie variant also means halfcab 360 flips (or fakie bigger flips or whatever fellow kids call them these days) will come very naturally to you as soon as fakie 360 flip clicks, they're essentially the same thing whilst turning just like fakie big flip is essentially a fakie varial flip whilst turning if we can even really call it turning the act of carving or reverting back into your natural stance. Come to think of it you might not even need fakie 360 flip for those, just throwing a fakie big flip around with more force and your newly developed technique for forming 360 flips it might work. Funny how that sort of seems to take mental training, teaching your brain to accept that yes it really is a safe option if the board goes around 360 before you catch it again.

time to get my ass out and practise some of this new stuff instead of doing my usual tricks all the time!

Hopefully my next post in here will be a landed tre flip :)

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2022, 11:06:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

time to get my ass out and practise some of this new stuff instead of doing my usual tricks all the time!

You're closer than you might think, it's probably mostly mental at this point. Just remind yourself that getting hurt is part of this process sometimes You're going to have to deal with it at some point (especially as you age), so might as well go for it and try to make some progress. You do have to put quite a bit of effort in to both get the board around and jump high enough to let it happen, so I'd recommend starting with them as they can tire you out quick.

That being said, when I was learning them they started out as just sort of an angled 3 shuv that was like getting hit in the shins by a lawnmower so I bought a pair of those FP painkiller socks and they helped me be more confident in just going for them. They don't look like pads and they're pretty comfortable, only real issue I've had with them is they get pretty hot and I'm a disgusting sweat hog.

Skatebeard

« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2022, 11:47:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You're closer than you might think, it's probably mostly mental at this point. Just remind yourself that getting hurt is part of this process sometimes You're going to have to deal with it at some point (especially as you age), so might as well go for it and try to make some progress. You do have to put quite a bit of effort in to both get the board around and jump high enough to let it happen, so I'd recommend starting with them as they can tire you out quick.

That being said, when I was learning them they started out as just sort of an angled 3 shuv that was like getting hit in the shins by a lawnmower so I bought a pair of those FP painkiller socks and they helped me be more confident in just going for them. They don't look like pads and they're pretty comfortable, only real issue I've had with them is they get pretty hot and I'm a disgusting sweat hog.

Tbh it's not even fear of getting hurt really, I eat shit on a semi regular basis, no stranger to occasionally landing primo on tricks that I have on lock... only hit my shin on these once today which wasn't too bad.

I'm finding the biggest challenge is physically jumping high enough to accommodate how high I'm popping the flip, I'm no spring chicken and as you say it tires you out fairly quick.

I think with most of my skating today it's the mental blocks rather than ability that hold me back...I've managed to surprise myself in terms of progressing how I have, but committing to some tricks is still a total head game.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2022, 01:17:20 PM »
Got these kinda figured but still trying to get that front foot catch. Posting here if you have tips for that or if this can help you as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-N6Hp880pg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0TP51-EgKI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRijTniBH44

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2022, 01:23:22 PM »
Got these kinda figured but still trying to get that front foot catch. Posting here if you have tips for that or if this can help you as well.

Nice tres to be honest
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2022, 05:03:42 PM »

They look good.

In the second frame, you can see that before you pop, the back truck is leaning heavy towards the toe side.
Usually tres work a lot better for me if my trucks are flat or slightly leaning heelside before I pop, seems to help some people when I tell them, but unsure if its universal.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2022, 06:29:34 PM »
Here’s where mine are at for now.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1WSLNeTlRI&feature=youtu.be
If you guys can see what I’m doing wrong and have pointers I’d gladly except the help. Trying to get these back before I hit 51.
@Skatebeard that’s damn good for only 2 days. @camel filters those looked good. Wanna trade?

No idea why it isn’t embedded. Sorry.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2022, 08:05:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They look good.

In the second frame, you can see that before you pop, the back truck is leaning heavy towards the toe side.
Usually tres work a lot better for me if my trucks are flat or slightly leaning heelside before I pop, seems to help some people when I tell them, but unsure if its universal.
I do notice the toe side thing. I think that was a remnant of a tip i heard before of making sure you almost wheelbite on the toe side to have more leverage for the light flick of the board. But I don't think they meant for it to be that exaggerated so I think you're right. I also think going more heel side will allow me to not travel so far in laterally.

@Plan9Customs you got that. I think your shoulders are opening up a bit causing you to be perpendicular to the board upon landing. maybe closing the shoulders a bit could make the landing line up a bit? Hopefully that could help you. Nice patio and dog! I'm jealous of the covered patio as I'm currently feeling the heat in texas.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2022, 12:25:26 AM »
If you guys can see what I’m doing wrong and have pointers I’d gladly except the help. Trying to get these back before I hit 51.
@Skatebeard that’s damn good for only 2 days. @camel filters those looked good. Wanna trade?

shoulders

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2022, 12:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They look good.

[close]
I do notice the toe side thing. I think that was a remnant of a tip i heard before of making sure you almost wheelbite on the toe side to have more leverage for the light flick of the board. But I don't think they meant for it to be that exaggerated so I think you're right. I also think going more heel side will allow me to not travel so far in laterally.

@Plan9Customs you got that. I think your shoulders are opening up a bit causing you to be perpendicular to the board upon landing. maybe closing the shoulders a bit could make the landing line up a bit? Hopefully that could help you. Nice patio and dog! I'm jealous of the covered patio as I'm currently feeling the heat in texas.

Yeah I feel like its pretty hard to significantly miss or underflick on a tre. The way I think about it is to put pressure on the heelside on my front foot, so that the middle of my board is level or leaning heelside, that way my back truck can't be too far on the toe, and is probably flat or slightly heelside too. Thinking about it like that works for me, results in a better pop for sure

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2022, 06:14:48 PM »
Thanks. That’s what it looked like to me as well, but was hoping there wasn’t anything else I wasn’t seeing. Hopefully I’ll be throwing some makes up at some point.
Patios nice for when it’s raining but 100+ days it doesn’t help that much.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2022, 12:13:41 PM »

You're basically there. As someone else said, keep your shoulders straight and figure out the weight transfer and you'll be staying over top of them in no time. If you haven't already go back and watch the Chris Cole trick tip video earlier in the thread, the thing about using your head position to get a consistent balance point really helped me.

You're forming them pretty well already so I think if you really focus on keeping the shoulders square and sucking that front foot up and keep it above the board while it rotates you'll be able to land a couple next session for sure.

I hurt my back again and can't really do any flip tricks for awhile, so I'll probably need this thread too once I'm back in the saddle   :(

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2022, 06:19:26 AM »
Thanks. That’s what it looked like to me as well, but was hoping there wasn’t anything else I wasn’t seeing. Hopefully I’ll be throwing some makes up at some point.
Patios nice for when it’s raining but 100+ days it doesn’t help that much.
When you're desperate enough, 100+ in the shade feels like an ac cooled warehouse in comparison haha.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2022, 09:02:48 AM »
I just can never tell with this trick.

Regular 8.25 setup - 40 tries and I'll land 1 janky one

First time on an 8.5 (almost egg shape) setup - 2 tries and I roll away

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2022, 09:20:49 AM »
I just can never tell with this trick.

Regular 8.25 setup - 40 tries and I'll land 1 janky one

First time on an 8.5 (almost egg shape) setup - 2 tries and I roll away

It's so frustrating. For me, it's all about the first 5-6 tries. After that, the flick just gets progressively worse.

What's so hard is I know people can do them so easily, it seems like it takes no effort at all, just a little scoop and pop. Meanwhile I need to focus my entire body to maybe get one around and I don't understand why!!