Author Topic: 360 Flips  (Read 17544 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: 360 Flips
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2022, 06:22:45 AM »
i included #5 because i didnt want to give the impression that you're jumping 2-4 feet towards your toe side. youre really jumping only ~1ft forward to side, but when you're doing it, it most definitely feels like youre jumping straight upward & in your head, you want to be thinking that you're jumping straight up

Well said, I used to think that you had to scoop it hard and jump far forward to catch a fat one like Kalis.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2022, 07:51:01 AM »
At first I didn’t know where to post this, or to post this at all, but today I landed my first switch 360 flip (albeit stationary and on a penny board…) using the tips and techniques from this thread.

https://instagram.com/stories/kuusela23/2977846535215955965?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Never give up
Chase your dreams
Yadda yadda yadda

Stoked.

sphincterparty

• Rep: -5
« Reply #182 on: November 24, 2022, 05:11:41 PM »
Had a bit of an epiphany with this one. I can sometimes do a decent one and sometimes my feet are super close together towards the middle or up near the front bolts. If you have the problem of landing like this, I figured out that having my head over my popping leg as I get ready to scoop helps a ton. It minimizes the tendency of my body landing front heavy on the board and also makes it easier for me to get that back leg to extend away from the front, ending up in a much more even weight distribution on landing.

TLDR: keep your head over the back leg as you pop.

Took yours and silhouettes advice. Can finally catch with my front foot. I’ve been struggling with only catching with my back foot for a few weeks now. I’m hoping to land one before I turn 30. Getting closer. Thanks Pals.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #183 on: November 24, 2022, 06:29:11 PM »
Catching with the front foot is 75% of the battle, if you got that you're on the right track.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2023, 09:07:31 AM »
Revisiting this thread to ask: how do you catch a 360 flip with your front foot?

My consistency is improving but on the ones I almost land I catch with both feet and that throws my weight off the board when my wheels hit the ground. The ones I do land I some times need to tick tack to adjust my weight, rarely do I land bolts.

Lost so many good attempts because I can't catch them bolts or with the front foot, feels like I catch them like Rowley instead of (can't think of an iconic 360 flipper at the moment)

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

WristBrace

• Rep: 10
« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2023, 08:12:18 PM »
Been flinging a couple randomly for the last 6 or so months. After reading the whole thread I got 2 feet on it for the first time last week. I will reply (possibly a long time from now) when I stomp one. Somedays feel like it's right there and some days it's like I've never tried them before, that's skateboarding. Please excuse the slo mo.

https://streamable.com/2jhu2w

rob2

• Rep: 4
« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2023, 12:25:24 AM »
Any thoughts on which setups work the best? I guess small hard wheels might help a bit?

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2023, 01:34:01 AM »
Revisiting this thread to ask: how do you catch a 360 flip with your front foot?

My consistency is improving but on the ones I almost land I catch with both feet and that throws my weight off the board when my wheels hit the ground. The ones I do land I some times need to tick tack to adjust my weight, rarely do I land bolts.

Lost so many good attempts because I can't catch them bolts or with the front foot, feels like I catch them like Rowley instead of (can't think of an iconic 360 flipper at the moment)

It is way better looking to catch them like Rowley than to do the front foot catch, I feel. At the height of the yo flip craze I would see kids at the skatepark, who could do perfect 360 flips, working on the front foot catch. It was mind boggeling to me why you would want to get an uglier 360 flip.

Only advantage I can see with the fron foot catch, is that it seems easier to kick the board away when you are skating gaps or stairs. When I would try to 360 flip down stairs, it was always a make or break type situation, while the yo flippers would just kick the board away with their fron foot, until they commited to a prefect one.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: April 29, 2023, 04:01:17 PM »
This thread is great. Started trying these for the first time maybe a month or month and a half back. Had a major break through yesterday in figuring the scoop. Spent the last 90 min of the session just throwing em. Once i figured out the foot placement they’re starting to come along and are for the most part staying under me. I am however, turning my shoulders FS. Cant wrap my mind on how to keep em level woth the board.

I think i need to maybe jump higher like folks are saying

Also found a huge difference in tighter trucks snd a flatter board. I usually skate steep boards with finger tight trucks and the trick flips real ugly if at all. Tight and flat and the damn things are flipping with much less effort and look better even tho im not landong them.

Maybe im blinking or not looking at the board as it flips. Thats what ALWAYS get me, blinking that is.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: April 29, 2023, 09:21:05 PM »
This thread is great. Started trying these for the first time maybe a month or month and a half back. Had a major break through yesterday in figuring the scoop. Spent the last 90 min of the session just throwing em. Once i figured out the foot placement they’re starting to come along and are for the most part staying under me. I am however, turning my shoulders FS. Cant wrap my mind on how to keep em level woth the board.

Also found a huge difference in tighter trucks snd a flatter board. I usually skate steep boards with finger tight trucks and the trick flips real ugly if at all. Tight and flat and the damn things are flipping with much less effort and look better even tho im not landong them.

Maybe im blinking or not looking at the board as it flips. Thats what ALWAYS get me, blinking that is.

Tighter trucks helped me, as well as sitting my weight back over my heels and not dipping my head over toes, that prevents me from jumping over my board and keeps the deck spinning under me. Far from consistent but I'm doing at least a few every session with fewer attempts.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2023, 09:06:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tighter trucks helped me, as well as sitting my weight back over my heels and not dipping my head over toes, that prevents me from jumping over my board and keeps the deck spinning under me. Far from consistent but I'm doing at least a few every session with fewer attempts.

Yea, the tighter trucks are making a difference for learning.

Im gonna have to post an almost make clip and see what slap think later today.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2023, 01:25:23 AM »
Aside from the obvious (commit), any tips for getting your back foot on for the land?

I can spin the trick pretty consistently and it's staying under me, and catch it with my front foot...but my back foot goes to ground every. single. time.

Feels like this is the last hurdle and if I can land one I'll have them, but at the same time, it still feels pretty terrifying committing that back foot. I can fakie bigflip most tries and there's plenty of time in the air and travel of the board involved there... so I should be capable of a regular 360 flip.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2023, 02:37:17 AM »
Aside from the obvious (commit), any tips for getting your back foot on for the land?

I can spin the trick pretty consistently and it's staying under me, and catch it with my front foot...but my back foot goes to ground every. single. time.

Feels like this is the last hurdle and if I can land one I'll have them, but at the same time, it still feels pretty terrifying committing that back foot. I can fakie bigflip most tries and there's plenty of time in the air and travel of the board involved there... so I should be capable of a regular 360 flip.

Have you tried intentionally putting the front foot on the ground and trying to catch it with the back foot? That often helps me to fully commit when I have the motion pretty much down. Doing that a couple of times tricks me into feeling safe enough to keep both feet in the air. I'm not sure how well that might work on a tre flip, but it could be worth a try. Other than that it really sounds like you "just" need to commit.

Skatebeard

« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2023, 05:41:45 AM »
Have you tried intentionally putting the front foot on the ground and trying to catch it with the back foot? That often helps me to fully commit when I have the motion pretty much down. Doing that a couple of times tricks me into feeling safe enough to keep both feet in the air. I'm not sure how well that might work on a tre flip, but it could be worth a try. Other than that it really sounds like you "just" need to commit.

tried that today and it kept messing up my scoop!

Did get somewhere however, I can't do regs 360 shuv/pop shuv, so had a session on those as i thought it may help with 360 flips in terms of jumping and keeping my feet in the air for the full rotation/committing.

After a very sweaty 30-40 mins i'd managed to land quite a few and step off, and that's more progress than i've ever made with that trick... damn hard to keep the board from trying to primo though. I think it'll help with 360 flips in the long run, and i'm not going to argue with getting popped 3 shuvs into the trick bag if i can manage it.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2023, 05:56:07 AM »

Of course you are capable and I'd say landing that trick with the front foot is being closer than just landing it with the back foot as that means you are sending it 'in front of you' correctly and so have appropriate posture on the pop. Now you're supposed to add one element to what you're already doing which is jump off that back leg on the pop, bring those knees up, you want to be directly over that rotation you're throwing, picturing where the bolts are supposed to be or land might help at first (that's what the cheat was for me when I first learned them and had your problem; then after a while you stop thinking about it as you start automating proper catches).

If you can fakie big flip and fakie 360 shove (even popless) I'd recommend learning fakie 360 flips, they won't exactly help you with the regular ones since you already have the flick figured out from the sounds of it, but they're a way easier application of the principle (since you're not fighting against momentum, can just pretend you're doing fakie 360 shove but then oops your toe caught the concave and caused a flip), and also a fun and underestimated classy trick.

Skatebeard

« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2023, 06:39:26 AM »
Cheers man, yeah I should really put some time into fakie 360 flips as I've got fakie 3 shuvs and fakie bigflips dialled...I had sort of forgotten about trying them recently as I've been distracted by other tricks and the elusive regs 360 flip.

I'll have a little go at the fakie tres later this week and report back.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2023, 10:07:43 AM »
I've landed both feet on exactly one 360 flip. Slipped straight to my ass.

I've noticed board shape has a lot of effect on how/if the flip works.

I can (sort of) rotate the flip, but I have no idea how the physics of the trick works. When it works and comes all the way around, I can *feel* that it *does* work, but my brain literally doesn't compute my action causing the boards reaction.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2023, 03:06:47 PM »

I am at the same point and have been making zero progress for over a year despite trying ten every day.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

LebowskisRug

« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2023, 03:14:05 PM »
I'm not an expert but for me the more I moved my leg from my knee down to donkey kick the scoop behind me the more the lower limb snaps back forward.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2023, 04:45:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am at the same point and have been making zero progress for over a year despite trying ten every day.

After so long, your muscle memory may be to the point where it's automated the action of putting the foot down as a way to get (part of) the rotation going which is what you and Skatebeard want to eliminate, or avoid. If forcing yourself to jump off the back leg doesn't work or interferes with your pop, maybe try them over a pyramid hip (approaching frontside so you can underrotate but not overrotate), they're so much easier than on flat off bumps off any kind (more air time and the incline just helps the board up) but I would recommend pyramid hip because that's a simple obstacle and if you can ollie it comfortably then you know exactly where your line should be, how you should be jumping and, eventually, where you should be landing. To fakie on a bank is (arguably) harder as the bank returns your momentum back to you and so the incline there won't help but make the trick feel more like a flatground fakie 360 flip. Slippery ground also might help because less friction means it takes less effort to send the board around, meaning you can prioritize the jump and the trick most likely will still form, gives you extra leeway to a certain extent. You'll figure them out!

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2023, 07:16:34 PM »
i'm mostly on that back foot hitting the ground and catching with the front foot as well, back foot hopping on the board. There will be a few caught with the back foot. Landed on 2 upside down ones with both feet today. playing foot games!

Like @silhouette is saying, i'm really really trying to jump off that back foot and such the knees up. In doing that, I've got to keep my eyes focused on the board.

I can't do small pop shove its, they're all high and stomped. I bring this up because I have a feeling that my 360 flip is going to be the same way. Once i get the pop/scoop down, they're gonna be high. I just need to get up and stay up!!!

regarding board shape, i've been messing with 3 set ups. Threw together an old orchard gangemi with a 14WB and that little thing is actually pretty sweet for this I think. mellow kicks, mellow concave and it's short.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2023, 07:49:05 PM »
Landing with both feet on the board even if it's upside down after half a flip means you're closer than on any attempt where you get the full rotation but only one foot back on. Doing the latter means you know how to fling the trick and safely 'simulate' it which works to first figure them out, but after a while one needs to come to terms with and accept the reality that they actually can do the trick for real (which is big and more meaningful in skating one might think at first) and thus adjust their parameters in order to get the jump right which is the hardest part.

If you catch the board with both feet, regardless of what the board did, then that means your jump is correct, and if the board didn't fully flip then that means your newfound correct technique for the jump is weakening your habitual pressure points. Should keep the jump and just adapt the pressure points accordingly with time, you'll naturally figure them out at this point. I think I can visualize what you're doing because I've seen so many people learn 360 flips and would (obviously, naively) recommend insisting with the big toe on your back foot really pressing down on the toe-side rail as you pop, and the front foot being lodged well inside the concave wherever you feel the tension from the back foot builds up further up the board. Essentially exacerbate your foot positioning a little bit and you're there, ready to request a user name change to I Used To 360 Flip Less.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: May 09, 2023, 08:29:59 PM »
Landing with both feet on the board even if it's upside down after half a flip means you're closer than on any attempt where you get the full rotation but only one foot back on. Doing the latter means you know how to fling the trick and safely 'simulate' it which works to first figure them out, but after a while one needs to come to terms with and accept the reality that they actually can do the trick for real (which is big and more meaningful in skating one might think at first) and thus adjust their parameters in order to get the jump right which is the hardest part.

If you catch the board with both feet, regardless of what the board did, then that means your jump is correct, and if the board didn't fully flip then that means your newfound correct technique for the jump is weakening your habitual pressure points. Should keep the jump and just adapt the pressure points accordingly with time, you'll naturally figure them out at this point. I think I can visualize what you're doing because I've seen so many people learn 360 flips and would (obviously, naively) recommend insisting with the big toe on your back foot really pressing down on the toe-side rail as you pop, and the front foot being lodged well inside the concave wherever you feel the tension from the back foot builds up further up the board. Essentially exacerbate your foot positioning a little bit and you're there, ready to request a user name change to I Used To 360 Flip Less.

Hah! You’re awesome!

Im also constantly trying different foot adjustments to see what works best. You mentioned muscle memory getting stuck in a non-landing place and i dont want to get stuck anywhere at this point.

I found it helpful this evening to roll slightly down hill. It felt as if was able to float with the board more or something

Skatebeard

« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2023, 06:01:50 AM »
Landed my first 360 shuv today.

Had a couple where I landed on the board upside down as well. Hoping this all builds into the next round of 360 flip attempts!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2023, 01:12:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hah! You’re awesome!

Im also constantly trying different foot adjustments to see what works best. You mentioned muscle memory getting stuck in a non-landing place and i dont want to get stuck anywhere at this point.

I found it helpful this evening to roll slightly down hill. It felt as if was able to float with the board more or something

Thanks for being so kind. Muscle memory getting stuck somewhere is a thing that can happen but only as much as one lets it. All bad habits can be broken by willpower and so that means if someone's been getting too lazy or comfortable with incorrect technique they think they're stuck with it they're wrong about the latter, the reality they're trying to avoid is it's going to take extra practice to rewire and break out of their current dimension, but anyone can do it and so it shouldn't be a daunting or demoralizing perspective of a trap to possibly fall into, there always are ways back up such pits starting with the appropriate mental and so it's really up to each individual whether or not they're motivated enough for the adequate training, or content enough with their imperfections (both choices being equally fine and justified by the person's mindset, but most people naturally will want to dodge recognizing even is a choice). There actually is quite a lot going on on the psychological level there including deeply anchored triggers such as one's take on, and bravery towards letting go of the past to instead embrace the present, but unfortunately the average skateboarder isn't especially encouraged towards thinking on such terms - usually it's their shoes felt off today or something.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 01:19:37 PM by silhouette »

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
  • sup dog
« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2023, 12:17:14 PM »
Tried to do a pressure flip and it just goes around 360 flip.

Can’t land either.

switchfakie

« Reply #206 on: May 14, 2023, 04:15:48 AM »
Landed my first 360 shuv today.

Had a couple where I landed on the board upside down as well. Hoping this all builds into the next round of 360 flip attempts!

The only diff is for 3flips, you perch your back foot upwards so your foot isn’t flat on the board & also you hang your toes off

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2023, 12:12:35 PM »
while I've landed a handful of 360 flips out of luck many years ago, I'm super fucking happy to say I'm super close to having them dialed down. I know im gonna explode of joy once I land one.
I'm at that point where I can do them sorta "easy" first try, but I have yet to put my back foot on the board.
For some reason I can't coordinate the flipping + the jumping.
Same thing with nollie heel flips/ kick flips and switch heels/ kick flips. One foot off and one foot on the board, dammit.
Fucking back foot!!

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

switchfakie

« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2023, 01:34:44 AM »
while I've landed a handful of 360 flips out of luck many years ago, I'm super fucking happy to say I'm super close to having them dialed down. I know im gonna explode of joy once I land one.
I'm at that point where I can do them sorta "easy" first try, but I have yet to put my back foot on the board.
For some reason I can't coordinate the flipping + the jumping.
Same thing with nollie heel flips/ kick flips and switch heels/ kick flips. One foot off and one foot on the board, dammit.
Fucking back foot!!

landing front foot only is a common problem that stems from leaning back whilst putting too much pressure on your back foot, and not jumping properly up, but jumping sort of backwards

you want to have equal weight on both your feet at the beginning of the trick, transfer all the weight from the front foot to your back foot, scoop & jump straight up while sucking both your feet upwards. if you watch slow motion treflips, your back foot pretty much needs to dodge the board, but most people including myself dont think of it that way, we just bring our foot upwards

Skatebeard

« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2023, 02:51:01 AM »
Got a little closer last session and have started committing much more, think it's just a matter of time now - spending the time on 3 shuvs has helped massively, so worth a go if you haven't got those in the bag and are trying tres.