Author Topic: 360 Flips  (Read 17543 times)

Powdered Toast Man!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
Re: 360 Flips
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2023, 08:37:43 AM »
Expand Quote
while I've landed a handful of 360 flips out of luck many years ago, I'm super fucking happy to say I'm super close to having them dialed down. I know im gonna explode of joy once I land one.
I'm at that point where I can do them sorta "easy" first try, but I have yet to put my back foot on the board.
For some reason I can't coordinate the flipping + the jumping.
Same thing with nollie heel flips/ kick flips and switch heels/ kick flips. One foot off and one foot on the board, dammit.
Fucking back foot!!
[close]

landing front foot only is a common problem that stems from leaning back whilst putting too much pressure on your back foot, and not jumping properly up, but jumping sort of backwards

you want to have equal weight on both your feet at the beginning of the trick, transfer all the weight from the front foot to your back foot, scoop & jump straight up while sucking both your feet upwards. if you watch slow motion treflips, your back foot pretty much needs to dodge the board, but most people including myself dont think of it that way, we just bring our foot upwards
That makes sense, thanks! Will keep this in mind next sesh and keep ya posted:)
hang in there fellow frustrated tre flippers
we got dis

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2023, 02:41:41 PM »
More and more upside down un-landings with both feet on. was not really considering POP in this trick
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

switchfakie

« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2023, 04:31:20 PM »
More and more upside down un-landings with both feet on. was not really considering POP in this trick
yeye, you just need to really pop harder to get more time for the board to finish its rotation

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2023, 10:11:35 AM »
I'm gonna read back through the thread to look for more pointers, but in the meantime....

I'm taking a BA-style approach, wider stance, heavy scoop, lumbering bigfoot style.

I'm so damn close to landing one. Flip is fairly consistent, as in the board fully rotates about 70% of the time, and I can visualize actually sticking it. The main issue is getting my front foot to follow through. Back foot finds the back bolts just about every time the trick works, and I stomp my front foot right next to the heelside front wheel on the ground - hard enough to hurt my knee lol

I've workshopped the trick into doing the thing, but putting the finisher on it it being a bastard. Is it a leap of faith to jump out and catch it, or will "the one" just randomly happen and it'll come around like nothing?

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2023, 03:03:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
while I've landed a handful of 360 flips out of luck many years ago, I'm super fucking happy to say I'm super close to having them dialed down. I know im gonna explode of joy once I land one.
I'm at that point where I can do them sorta "easy" first try, but I have yet to put my back foot on the board.
For some reason I can't coordinate the flipping + the jumping.
Same thing with nollie heel flips/ kick flips and switch heels/ kick flips. One foot off and one foot on the board, dammit.
Fucking back foot!!
[close]

landing front foot only is a common problem that stems from leaning back whilst putting too much pressure on your back foot, and not jumping properly up, but jumping sort of backwards

you want to have equal weight on both your feet at the beginning of the trick, transfer all the weight from the front foot to your back foot, scoop & jump straight up while sucking both your feet upwards. if you watch slow motion treflips, your back foot pretty much needs to dodge the board, but most people including myself dont think of it that way, we just bring our foot upwards
[close]
That makes sense, thanks! Will keep this in mind next sesh and keep ya posted:)
hang in there fellow frustrated tre flippers
we got dis

This thread is the support group I never knew I needed. As a serial v flipper I would sacrifice everything if I could tre all day.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2023, 06:44:36 AM »
I remember @silhouette saying something about ''loading'' the board which really helped me get them. but i cant find his comment, so ill just (attempt to) reiterate:

the trick is in what comes right before the popping

1. imagine a line tail to nose line that splits your board in two equal halves
2. back foot toes hanging off sligthly, front foot somewhere around the middle, on the other side of the line (on the heel side half), so you stand comfortably.
3. as you crouch to pop, try to break you board across this straight, tail-to-nose, line. This idea helped me to put pressure down while keeping weight centered.
4. upon popping/releasing/jumping the board will be sort of spring-loaded and flip much easier
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 02:19:56 AM by behavioralguide »

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2023, 11:48:46 AM »
somehow remember @silhouette saying something about ''loading'' the board which really helped me get them. but i cant find his comment, so ill just reiterate:

2. back foot toes hanging off sligthly, front foot somewhere around the middle, on the other side of the line (on the heel side half), so you stand comfortably.
3. as you crouch to pop, try to break you board across this vertical line. This idea helped me to put pressure down while keeping weight centered.
4. upon popping/releasing/jumping the board will be sort of spring-loaded and flip much easier

Break it as in tear it in half, opposite directions!

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2023, 06:06:50 PM »
Expand Quote
somehow remember @silhouette saying something about ''loading'' the board which really helped me get them. but i cant find his comment, so ill just reiterate:

3. as you crouch to pop, try to break you board across this vertical line. This idea helped me to put pressure down while keeping weight centered.
[close]

This tip helped me get one after a 2 month hiatus. Thank you guys.

http://youtu.be/XNPwpSr9MUM
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2023, 06:41:48 PM »
Cool, solid one too!

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #219 on: May 20, 2023, 09:07:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This tip helped me get one after a 2 month hiatus. Thank you guys.

http://youtu.be/XNPwpSr9MUM

Monster sized!!! Hell ya ji

switchfakie

« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2023, 04:04:20 PM »
I remember @silhouette saying something about ''loading'' the board which really helped me get them. but i cant find his comment, so ill just (attempt to) reiterate:

3. as you crouch to pop, try to break you board across this straight, tail-to-nose, line. This idea helped me to put pressure down while keeping weight centered.

i can already tre flip consistently, but damn straight, this sounds about exactly right wrt what i already do

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2023, 11:33:11 AM »
Set up a fresh board on the weekend decided to try to get all 4

https://imgur.io/gallery/JDH5Zrr

Switch one needs a lot of work..

changed1

« Reply #222 on: June 26, 2023, 04:34:37 PM »
The biggest thing when I’ve learned this trick in any stance is to pop then scoop. It’s been mentioned on here a bunch before and it really is the best tip to get perfect motion. Every time I miss it’s because I started scooping too soon and didn’t get a good enough pop first. Popping first gives a ton of leverage for the scoop

Wrapping the toes around the edge of the pocket as much as possible is also key for a good scoop.

Square up shoulders. Keep head over the middle of the board the entire trick. Head square between both shoulders

You need a good flick to guide the board. I personally stand on my toes a bit in the front foot rather than flat footed. Makes the flick easier for me but some people disagree. A good flick is only possible if you get a good pop (and scoop) first. Don’t put too much weight in the front foot during the set up though; the beginning of the trick is in the back foot 80%. In fact you’ll probably get ghost pop or flail around like an idiot if you have too much in your front foot

I think of this trick in 4 steps
Pop -> scoop -> flick -> land
I do them in that order.

My reasoning for that order:
I already explained above why I pop then scoop -leverage.
Next is the flick. If you flick (step 3) before popping or scooping (steps 1 & 2) the boards gonna do a 360 shuv with no kickflip rotation because the early slide start basically make getting a good scoop impossible because there’s already too much weight on the top of the board to flip at all. You probably wont even get a flick at all (it’ll be more like an ollie) because the board hasn’t popped enough yet (step 1) for it too meet your foot. That’s why popping is always the first step in this trick. The scoop (step 2) then makes the flick (step 3) way easier because the board is now rotating on an axis that makes the flick natural 
If you’ve squared up your shoulders and jumped right, the board should be perfectly under you for the land (step 4).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 10:00:23 AM by changed1 »

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #223 on: July 01, 2023, 09:53:10 AM »
Just an additional tip to what has been already said in this topic:

It helps a ton to pre-cock your 360 flip before snapping it by pressing hard on the corner/pocket of the tail and simultaneously with your front foot onto the edge of the board, so as to create as much tension into the deck as you can.

Then as you snap the tail and scoop you release the tension by flicking your front foot off the board to make the 360 flip rotation literally explode to your feet.

This really works to make the board spin+flip so much quicker, so I encourage everyone to try it :)