Author Topic: Kinda suck at skating but getting hooked up?  (Read 3785 times)

Kookology666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Kinda suck at skating but getting hooked up?
« on: October 24, 2020, 05:12:32 PM »
Hey guys! So I’ve been on slap for a while but created this throwaway account because some people know who I am IRL and whatnot on my ‘main’ account.

I live in a country with a decent skate scene but it’s not a big country. Anyway, earlier this year a new homie from another country who had his own brand took me on board and it felt very organic and fun so I had no issues with that. Filming was fun and I didn’t really feel any pressure that much.

Just a couple of weeks ago, though, some local guy who is starting a board company approached me and asked me to ride for them. On one hand it’s like yeah free boards but on the other hand I honestly don’t feel like I deserve it. I don’t think I’m a terrible skater but I’m definitely not great, I can’t even back 5050 ledges every try. There are a couple other guys on the team already and they’re good as fuck and I’m just sitting there like what am I even doing here..

It’s giving me major impostor syndrome and while I’m flattered I am also confused as to why the hell they would ask me. I mean yeah when I was a kid of course I dreamed about being sponsored or whatever but as I got older (in my mid 20s now) I just didn’t give a shit anymore. I guess maybe they approached me because I’m super friendly to everyone and as a result kinda know pretty much everyone in the local scene.

But yeah was just wondering if anyone has any advice or any anecdotes to share that maybe is somehow related to this post. I’m probably thinking too much and the board company will fizz away like many other local brands did. I’m a bit stoked but also don’t want to get my hopes up at all. Thanks for reading friends

theblandest

• Rep: 12
Re: Kinda suck at skating but getting hooked up?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 11:26:06 AM »
Take the free product and have as much fun as you can. It doesn't seem like you're taking advantage so just ride it out as long as you can.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 02:43:27 AM »
This person wishes to make marital relations with you.  Proceed with caution, but proceed.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 03:14:26 AM »
Sounds like you're a cool person to them and they want to hook you up. Don't stress. Enjoy the free product.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 05:25:03 AM »
This person wishes to make marital relations with you.  Proceed with caution, but proceed.
Proceed indeed.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »
Better send us some of that free product for QC. I only ride the freshest BBS decks, Formula 4 Radial Slims and newly forged Thunder Titanium, but for you I will make an exception.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Kookology666

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »
Thanks guys! I’m just gonna wing it and see what happens. I was probably thinking too much about how I might have to change myself to fit their/my idea of what a ‘sponsored’ skateboarder is like but I’m just gonna skate like I normally do for fun and take the free boards for as long as they’ll give it to me, haha.

All good if they kick me off because I’m still gonna skate anyways! Was thinking of starting my own company lately but not sure I’m ready for that yet...

Anyway cheers to you all for reading all that and giving sound advice. Appreciate that, hope your next session(s) are awesome!

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 09:47:30 AM »
Dude that’s fucking bad ass!

Hope everything works out and you get enough product to last you for years.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Kookology666

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 10:29:27 AM »
Dude that’s fucking bad ass!

Hope everything works out and you get enough product to last you for years.

Haha! Thanks man, it's just a one board per month thing, but yeah... I'm just gonna go with it and stop overthinking!

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 10:13:33 AM »
Skateboarding isn't all about skill.

Take the free product, be appreciative, and enjoy.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 07:00:56 AM »
Take the product but don't be greedy/annoying about it.  I had kind of the same deal with a local shop.  I was pretty good at the time, but just friendly with the shop guys.  I just got a pretty sizable discount and occasionally free stuff.  Usually on stuff already on sale/didn't sell/shop gear, etc.  Not like I was getting the big hook up on the latest BBS decks, Dunks, etc.   

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 05:15:52 PM »
There was a hype beast type shop in my city that sold nikes and supreme and stuff but also had shop boards and gave me free clothes, grip and boards. I do not deserve anything free for my ability on a board but I took what I got at the time because someone was willing to hook me up. It clearly didn't work cause the only people they gave stuff to was me and my friend and they went out of business within a year of opening.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 12:09:43 AM »
The shop I frequented growing up gave me and my homies t-shirts 1 time and we were all pretty stoked. Growing up I used to think that they should give us a discount for spending so much of our money there. Then I got older, ran my own business and realized that paying for rental, storage, staff wages, taxes, utilities and marketing costs suck and the margins on the business are thin.

If a shop wants to help the local scene or skaters with products, power to them. Don't be a dick and start selling product you get for free to make some quick cash, at least give it away to a kid who needs it or sell it at a nominal price.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 11:02:49 AM »
Don't be a dick and start selling product you get for free to make some quick cash, at least give it away to a kid who needs it or sell it at a nominal price.

lol, won't be naming names but I know quite a few pros who sell their old boards which I always thought was ridiculous, I always gave mine away, the only time I sold a set-up to a kid must have been fifteen years ago and I only made him pay ten bucks out of principle because the board had two brand new Venture trucks on it worth like forty bucks.

Also I'd pathetically like to use this post to give thanks to whoever it was who sold me two Rasa Libre shirts and the Essence of Freedom DVD out of their trunk for a mere ten bucks at Third and Army back in 2011. In fact, originally I only got the DVD and then the person came back and gave me the shirts for free. Best investment ever, that video actually changed my life on several levels and I still wear one of the shirts to this day even though it's ripped (the other one was a fucking amazing long sleeve I think someone stole from me, I actually miss it).

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 07:18:02 AM »
As Jamal Smith once said:

“Just a reminder that I skate for the same team as Lucas Puig and I can’t kickflip.”
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 11:58:34 AM »
Maybe you got style or make tricks look smooth idk. Fuck it take the product.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 06:25:29 AM »
Yup I’m the most sucky skater on the team, everyone else is on a higher level than me.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 10:44:34 AM »
The Bakerboys distro has been giving Neckfat boards all these years and he's repugnant ..

Enjoy the come-up! Treat your friends well!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 10:55:48 AM »
Take the free product and have as much fun as you can. It doesn't seem like you're taking advantage so just ride it out as long as you can.

+ skate with better dudes on the team which will push you to get better...obviously the guy asking you to ride for them sees something in you, or wants to get in you...

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 09:05:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

+ skate with better dudes on the team which will push you to get better...obviously the guy asking you to ride for them sees something in you, or wants to get in you...

Can't stress this enough, just 1 session with a different crew can change your perspective on skateboarding and get you trying tricks you never thought were within your grasp.

Don't worry, you'll grow into being a sponsored rider, imposter syndrome is common for everyone, regardless of industry or country.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 09:43:44 PM »
Just on the selling product thing imagine being on nike, supreme or palace
I reckon you could make more a month just reselling the gear haha
listen to cosmic psychos

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 09:56:22 PM »
It's not uncommon to hookup someone who has potential. It is good for both parties. They provide you gear so that you can always skate and get better and in return they have good skateboarders promoting their product.

Brguy

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2020, 11:06:39 AM »
You'll probably get better just hanging out with the rest of the guys, to be honest.

fairydinkum

• Rep: 17
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 01:36:00 PM »

My new sig! Thanks :)

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 11:38:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My new sig! Thanks :)

dont know if thats what he meant by free product

Kookology666

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2020, 01:14:46 AM »
Cheers everyone for all your sound advice! Much love.

So it seems like I'm going to be a 'model' in the ad for when the boards finally release. Haha, going to be so weird. Also they only have 8.25 for the first batch of boards which is going to suck because anything below 8.38 is too small for me. But it's a small company and the dude said he would make bigger boards (which would sell easier anyway nowadays...) the next batch so let's see how it goes.

Almost feels like I'm selling out or something but I guess I'm strapped in for the ride for now. :D

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 06:27:37 AM »
that's sick!
i get nike hookups sometimes and i have no idea why. not questioning it tho! thank you nike!

Kookology666

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2020, 03:13:07 PM »
that's sick!
i get nike hookups sometimes and i have no idea why. not questioning it tho! thank you nike!

Haha that's rad! Shoes would be so sick but given my current level of skating it is never gonna happen  ;D hope you are enjoying those shoes!

Just picked up my first 'package' and honestly never thought I would be holding 3 fresh boards while skating around the city. It's an interesting feeling, but everything went well. The 'boss' was super nice and thoughtful and we had a good time just chilling with the other riders. So far so good!

Bigpantssmallwheelz

• Rep: -3
  • Ollie one foot, you bozo.
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 09:22:16 AM »
Cheers everyone for all your sound advice! Much love.

So it seems like I'm going to be a 'model' in the ad for when the boards finally release. Haha, going to be so weird. Also they only have 8.25 for the first batch of boards which is going to suck because anything below 8.38 is too small for me. But it's a small company and the dude said he would make bigger boards (which would sell easier anyway nowadays...) the next batch so let's see how it goes.

Almost feels like I'm selling out or something but I guess I'm strapped in for the ride for now. :D

Skating abilities does play a big role in sponsorship. On the other hand , your image, marketability , and how well you click with the team are just as important. Haven't you ever heard of someone being kicked off a team because they don't click or vibe with the rest of the team or brand image? Your abilities only do so much, plus if your a big asshole, your skills don't matter at all. Remember bams huge push in the early 2000's? He was a great skater, not incredible, not the best, but fun to watch . He is the definition of marketing and making an image. Hope my rambling helped

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2021, 07:54:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Also I'd pathetically like to use this post to give thanks to whoever it was who sold me two Rasa Libre shirts and the Essence of Freedom DVD out of their trunk for a mere ten bucks at Third and Army back in 2011. In fact, originally I only got the DVD and then the person came back and gave me the shirts for free. Best investment ever, that video actually changed my life on several levels and I still wear one of the shirts to this day even though it's ripped (the other one was a fucking amazing long sleeve I think someone stole from me, I actually miss it).

Essence of freedom is such an amazing video. I loved that second wave of rasa libre.