Author Topic: Kinda suck at skating but getting hooked up?  (Read 3786 times)

Kookology666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Re: Kinda suck at skating but getting hooked up?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2021, 04:25:37 PM »

Skating abilities does play a big role in sponsorship. On the other hand , your image, marketability , and how well you click with the team are just as important. Haven't you ever heard of someone being kicked off a team because they don't click or vibe with the rest of the team or brand image? Your abilities only do so much, plus if your a big asshole, your skills don't matter at all. Remember bams huge push in the early 2000's? He was a great skater, not incredible, not the best, but fun to watch . He is the definition of marketing and making an image. Hope my rambling helped

Cheers for the rambling, I appreciate that! It’s been a couple months now and nothing has really happened except friends taking jabs at me for being ‘sponsored’ when I am sucking at skating some days.

I would say I get along with the other guys on the team fine. I mean, I get along with most people pretty well (except some real assholes who I really don’t like being around, but I’m not confrontational or anything, just try to mind my own business...)

And yeah I’ve definitely heard of and read about people getting kicked off of teams for not getting along with the rest of the team. I don’t think that’ll be the problem, but I will say that while I’m okay with everyone, they’re not exactly people I would normally hang out with and I definitely still vibe with my original crew/friends a lot better and more comfortably.

In other words I’m not sure how this will play out in the long run. I can’t imagine myself riding for them forever and when I think 5 years into the future I imagine being happier starting something with all my good friends who I can really vibe with. I have ideas in my head and that I’m working towards to make that happen.

But till then since I’m just working and skating in my free time right now I’m just gonna do what I can do for this current company since they’re backing me, and appreciate what I do get. Not sure if this makes me an asshole...

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2021, 11:33:52 AM »
Expand Quote

Skating abilities does play a big role in sponsorship. On the other hand , your image, marketability , and how well you click with the team are just as important. Haven't you ever heard of someone being kicked off a team because they don't click or vibe with the rest of the team or brand image? Your abilities only do so much, plus if your a big asshole, your skills don't matter at all. Remember bams huge push in the early 2000's? He was a great skater, not incredible, not the best, but fun to watch . He is the definition of marketing and making an image. Hope my rambling helped
[close]

Cheers for the rambling, I appreciate that! It’s been a couple months now and nothing has really happened except friends taking jabs at me for being ‘sponsored’ when I am sucking at skating some days.

I would say I get along with the other guys on the team fine. I mean, I get along with most people pretty well (except some real assholes who I really don’t like being around, but I’m not confrontational or anything, just try to mind my own business...)

And yeah I’ve definitely heard of and read about people getting kicked off of teams for not getting along with the rest of the team. I don’t think that’ll be the problem, but I will say that while I’m okay with everyone, they’re not exactly people I would normally hang out with and I definitely still vibe with my original crew/friends a lot better and more comfortably.

In other words I’m not sure how this will play out in the long run. I can’t imagine myself riding for them forever and when I think 5 years into the future I imagine being happier starting something with all my good friends who I can really vibe with. I have ideas in my head and that I’m working towards to make that happen.

But till then since I’m just working and skating in my free time right now I’m just gonna do what I can do for this current company since they’re backing me, and appreciate what I do get. Not sure if this makes me an asshole...

I think you're good man, sounds like you're taking care of yourself and doing your best for the people backing you. I would just enjoy the ride

drewSTEADMAN

• Rep: -27
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 10:56:48 AM »
Hey man, Im happy for you that you are getting free product! that's awesome!! if you can't bs 50 a ledge then you definitely suck really bad. But don't worry about it, my man. Just accept the free stuff and try and progress and have fun, even if you do suck really really bad! I wish you the best!!

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2021, 05:57:14 PM »
Low key I've been getting hooked up with Real board's and Thunder's along with Spitfire's. (Maybe in the works of getting on flow)?! Psssssst  I'm not that good either but I'm trying my best to make a situation out of free product.

I don't know about you but if I'm given a shot at glory I'm taking full advantage.  Isn't that what getting flow is? A homie giving you a chance? It's what you do with the time that makes the difference.

Don't blow it
SHALOM

Dueces Bitch's

Kookology666

• Rep: -1
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2021, 07:25:17 AM »
Hey man, Im happy for you that you are getting free product! that's awesome!! if you can't bs 50 a ledge then you definitely suck really bad. But don't worry about it, my man. Just accept the free stuff and try and progress and have fun, even if you do suck really really bad! I wish you the best!!

Haha, thanks man. And yeah I definitely do suck really really bad especially when it comes to ledges and rails, working on it though but damn every time I go to skate a ledge and try new shit I get reminded just how really really bad I suck!

Low key I've been getting hooked up with Real board's and Thunder's along with Spitfire's. (Maybe in the works of getting on flow)?! Psssssst  I'm not that good either but I'm trying my best to make a situation out of free product.

I don't know about you but if I'm given a shot at glory I'm taking full advantage.  Isn't that what getting flow is? A homie giving you a chance? It's what you do with the time that makes the difference.

Don't blow it
SHALOM

That's awesome that you're getting those products, and yeah I've also learned that I may as well embrace it instead of always second-guessing myself. Whatever happens, happens. Hope everything works out for you!